Promoting 3* Units to 4* for Skill Inheritance

XRay

I have been using skill inheritance a lot lately. However, I am not sure if I am getting the most bang out of my feathers. I have around thirty 4* and 3* units that have ideal or neutral IVs. I sacrificed a lot of heroes to give many units additional skills.

The problem is that many sacrifices are 3* heroes promoted to 4* heroes. I have probably promoted over twenty times, so that is like giving up two 5* units. Is having more 4* units with skills better than having two more 5* units? I already have 5* Reinhardt (+ATK/-SPD), 5* Ryoma (Neutral), 5* Hector (+DEF/-HP), and 5* Priscilla (+ATK/-HP) as my core offensive Arena team, and I just switch one of them out for the bonus character.

Another problem is that I think I gave some units more skills than necessary. For example, I gave my 4* Robin (F) Gronnblade, Gronnraven, Draw Back, Triangle Adept 2, Seal Res 3, G Tomebreaker 3, Threaten Res 3, and some random extra skills. Is it really a good idea to give some characters more skills than necessary to make them more flexible? She is only half way into learning all those skills, and I am not sure if I will ever use some of those skills.

There is no point in stacking a ton of skills onto a character if you don't plan to use all of them. Most characters are going to excel at a particular niche and there isn't much need to switch up their builds once you find one that works. Sometimes 4* characters can perform adequately compared to 5* characters, especially if you have favorable skills, but it sounds like you went overboard on promoting 3*s to 4*s and narrowed your pool of potential 5*s.

Ultimately, your preferred play style is up to you but I would focus more on making more 5* options rather than giving your 4*s ever skill under the sun.

As NK says, it's ultimately up to your own judgment-- can upgrade as much skill fodder or regular units as you want, and if you're not sure, waiting it out to think some more is an option that's pretty difficult to regret, haha (I know that the one or two times I've impulse-skill inherited without thinking too much I kinda regretted it lol but oh well). 

In my case, I haven't pulled a lot of 5* characters naturally AND I'm indecisive as hell, so mostly I'm just 1) raising characters I like first and foremost, then seeing how they perform at level 40 regardless of their rarity level (in the case of a very good Nino I got, I decided she was fine as a 4* for now), and 2) raising 3* fodder characters up to level 20 to just hang out and wait while I think things out. And mostly, I'm pretty satisfied with how my army is shaping up-- I 5*'d my Robin and Kagero who I like, but were performing kinda lackluster, and they're monsters for me now especially with the extra skills I'm tossing onto them.

So yeah, I do recommend that you focus first and foremost on a small pool of units (I have about... 5 that I've been skill inheriting on) and do what you need for them in terms of getting them fully upgraded and fleshed out with skills, then do the other stuff bit by bit. It's all about figuring out and focusing on your priorities. 

Hope this helps or something x3x

I inherited more skills than I need and wasted feathers in this too. It's just because I am not good at making the right decision. I once inherited Escape Route 3 and then replaced it by Vantage. Also I promoted my free-to-get Lissas to 4* for their skills, but now I am considering to replace them by something else. I also inherited Life and Death for a -speed Robin only to find it useless (at least worse than triangle adept). I made a lot of wrong decisions and I am in short of SP.

So now I have decided not to learn any skill when grinding a character up, saving the SP until I find out what is the right thing to do.

Ideally, you'd want to avoid sacrificing 5* units unless you're planning on transferring 5*-only skills (Brave Axe+, Distant Counter, Life and Death 3, etc.).

There are lots of skills whose entire chain can be obtained from 4* units (ie. 4* Cain for Wings of Mercy 3).

You should be fine as long as you're not sacrificing units you have been using a lot of. If you intend to sacrifice GHB-only characters, well, keep in mind that you can only have up to 0-2 of that unit for the time being so consider the options carefully.

Edited by Roflolxp54

We have a "Ask a FE Heroes question" thread for (relatively) short stuff like this.  It's great if you're looking for another opinion.

As for skills, WRITE THEM OUT FIRST, along with why you want to do that.  It's the reason why my first 5* promotion was immediately sent home.  SP will become an issue if you stack too many things at once.