Is Birthright really worth the money?

I've already played through both Conquest and Revelations (I really regret buying Revelations in all honesty) and I'm curious. Is Birthright REALLY worth it? From what I've heard, it's too easy, and the story is almost as bad as Revelations plot. I'm really only considering purchasing it for the path bonuses at this point because I really don't see it being anything special. Figured I'd post about it though, to see what other people though in comparison to what I think. Thanks! :)

I definitely regretted buying it. I found it completely boring; the maps, the story and especially the characters. I couldn't finish it more than once and that was already a struggle. So a 'no, don't buy it' from me. Maybe watch a Let's Play if you still want to know what's going on.

If you want the "best" Fates plot then get Birthright, its basically Awakening 2.0 in design so if you like Awakening, you'll like Birthright.

Also has some neat unique classes for FE which you can play around with alot more than you can in Conquest. 

Edited by Jedi

If you are coming from Conquest you likely won't feel as invested in the characters. Not because they are bad, with few exceptions at least, but I on the flip-side could not bring myself to really like any of the Conquest cast members except like three of them (five if you count the Awakening kids). You get too attached to one side, and can't bring yourself to feel the same emotions for the other side. It's a phenomenon I have seen a lot on this forum.

The story is nothing to get excited for, but if Conquest didn't make you bash your head against the wall, you won't find anything to complain about.

Gameplay wise, it depends on what you like really. Personally, i found Birthright's gameplay to be enjoyable, since I was able to really fool around and experiment with it a lot. But if all you want is a good challenge, then Birthright isn't the game for you.

Overall it's up to you really. Birthright is the best Fates game in my opinion, because I did like it's fresh and experimental feeling, and also because I often value story over gameplay (and Conquest just tanked on that one). So really, it's all up to your personal taste.

3 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

If you like the GBA games you'll like Birthright. 

If you like Awakening, you'll probably like Birthright. 

The only one of the GBA FEs that's the most similar to Birthright is FE8, though.

13 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

The only one of the GBA FEs that's the most similar to Birthright is FE8, though.

I'd argue FE7 and 6 aren't that far off from it in terms of map design, either, though they are considerably harder games. 

2 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I'd argue FE7 and 6 aren't that far off from it in terms of map design, either, though they are considerably harder games. 

FE6, 7 and 8 have way more going on in their maps than Birthright ever does. Just saying. I mean I like BR, but I have to be honest in this regard.

Edited by Jedi

33 minutes ago, Jedi said:

FE6, 7 and 8 have way more going on in their maps than Birthright ever does. Just saying. I mean I like BR, but I have to be honest in this regard.

Also even disregarding this (muh subjectivity), the GBA games have a very different gameplay structure (revolving around training units on mostly linear pathlines and more resource management as opposed to reclassing units for skills and weapons being permanent fixtures that you can upgrade w/the right resources), they don't have pairup, children, and very different types of paralogues, and a different support system as well.

IMO it's boring and a slog both story-wise and gameplay-wise

I was entertained by Conquest. Birthright almost made me fall asleep.

EDIT: Thankfully my little bro got Birthright so I didn't have to fork over my own cash to play it

Edited by Pixelman

Yes, if you enjoy Fire Emblem Fates and have some cash to spare.  (A discount is available since you own Conquest.)  Your missions are a lot more straight forward since they involve killing all the enemies on a map, killing specific enemies, or reaching an escape route. 

As far as difficulty goes I'd say the early part is a decent challenge, around mid game things get a little easier since units have time to develop in count as well as power but you can't charge in blindly, and then the final levels of the game happen where your allies and strategy will be tested.  If you want the best challenge pick the highest difficulty you can, select the permanent death option, and don't reset the game to save anyone.  On a scale of overall difficulty:

Difficulty Scale

Easy---Average-x-Difficult
(This excludes the online mode which is filled with nightmarish, customized characters.)

Here's how I feel about Birthright. On hard, Birthright is definitely at its sweet spot, and is the best you can get from it. Lunatic is basically like Awakening Lunatic light-- IE, having all of the shortcomings of Awakening's harder modes, but doesn't have the enemies constantly rushing-- the difference? The game essentially dogpiles you and has hellish amounts of reinforcements making maps drag on far worse than Awakening's ever could. I honestly found Awakening Lunatic more enjoyable. It felt like less of a chore. Which says something because I hate Lunatic Awakening. 

The maps in birthright range from "okay," to simply awful with most of the bad maps being towards the later half of the game. I got it through the Special Edition, but I can say that if I didn't, I might have been a bit upset about buying it... Fortunately, Special is the same cost as regular so... I guess it's not so bad. After Lunatic, I didn't want to play Birthright again though. 

If you explained what you liked/didn't like about Conquest and any other FEs you played it'd be easier to predict how you feel about Birthright. That said, given that you list Awakening as your favourite, I'm gonna say yes, you'll probably like Birthright. Its maps and gameplay feel a lot like Awakening's, but with Fates' innovations added into it: better (IMO) pairup/dual strike system, lack of same-turn reinforcements, infinite weapon durability, etc. I find its challenge a bit uneven (as is often the case for FE) in that regardless of difficulty it has a very easy midgame then ramps up some towards the end.

The plot isn't very good overall but it has its moments.

Overall I'd place it between Conquest and Revelation both in terms of general quality, and in terms of its design feel (except that its maps are closer to Awakening's).

Just buy Echoes. Gameplay is mediocre compared to Conquest, plot goes nowhere (though it is the least bad), I didn't find the characters as interesting or engaging, e.c.t. I suppose if you enjoy grinding you may get some enjoyment out of it, but really, you have Revelations for that. I guess you can mess around with the refined Awakening mechanics in maps that are similar to Awakening without worrying about any non-standard objectives (escape, prevent breakthrough, e.c.t) you would have fun. Otherwise I would say pass by this one.

Better use of money. The Paradox sale is still going on right now on steam. Go get Hearts of Iron 4/Stellaris/Europa Universallis IV. Much better games, if you like Grand Strategy.