Underrated/Overlooked Fire Emblem Characters?

TheZakkAttack

In FE7: Priscilla is a great healer, and has much better mobility than Serra. Also, the only playable Valkyrie in the game. Heath is often forgotten about, which is strange, since his supports are pretty good. I also find Wil to be a much better archer than Rebecca (here come the flaming arrows).

In FE8: Rennac is pretty funny, and is better than Colm. Artur was my Sacred Stones MVP. Tana is by far my favourite pegasus knight.

In Awakening: Meh, everyone is pretty much loved to death in that game, so nothing there.

In Conquest: Shura is amazing. Would've liked more supports though. He's the kidnapper of Azura, yet doesn't get a support with her. Odd.

What are your underrated characters?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE7: I've heard a lot of people say they don't like Sain due to his personality, but I like characters like that. In terms of stats, Erk is pretty useless if he's not promoted by the time Pent is recruited, and same with Nino, really. But I still use them anyway.

FE8: I used Kyle a lot, to the point where he died in the final chapter. That count?

FE9: Volke and Sothe aren't very good outside of looting chests and opening doors, and Stefan is usually overlooked due his out-of-the-way recruitment, but I like them all and they're good units when trained properly.

FE13: Kellam rocks as an assassin.

FE14: I hardly play this game anymore, so, uh...

FE6: Merlinus. Yeah he doesn't level up reasonably and takes up a unit slot, but I love him in the early game as a tool for baiting since he can't permanently die. Plus there aren't a lot of viable units to raise anyway in the early chapters so the unit slot wasn't too valuable to begin with.

FE7: Dart. The only fast axe user in the game, and he'll cap strength like the rest. His base speed isn't high for his level, but the 60% growth is baller, and will make up for his low con. And he promotes into the berserker class with the same +15 crit boost that swordmasters have.

FE8: Artur, Moulder, and Natasha. Bishops are gods in Sacred Stones' last two chapters and for Creature Campaign. 

FE14: The Felicia/Jakob that you didn't start the game with. Their stats never disappoint because they scale based on your story progress. Also Sakura. Her personal skill is excellent, and I think the priestess class is perfect for her if you can just increase her bow rank to C. It's all about the magic weapons in Fates. She and Azama are also really beefy compared to other healers.

FE6: Thea/Tate/Thite/Whatever her name is is a pretty solid unit with hard mode bonuses. She takes some time to get exceptionally good but she's fairly strong. Her defenses are crap but that comes with the pegasus. 

FE7: Lowen usually gets ignored in favor of Marcus and Sain/Kent/Both by most players, but I think his tankiness is pretty valuable and I find him to be very good if you use Rebecca and get their quick A support

FE8: Neimi may not be the best but between her lightning fast A support with Colm (who you should probably be using) and her fairly quick supports with some other units in your early party, plus her fire affinity, make for a solid unit. Plus, she's the only candidate for the Orion's Bolt. 

FE13: Noire doesn't get talked about much but she's a blast to use, if nothing else. She's also freaking cute, and I love her supports with Severa.

FE14: Beruka often gets pushed to the wayside over her liege, which makes sense because Camilla is just ridiculous, but I find that making Beruka into a berserker instantly fixes her mediocre HP and Speed and makes her an all around solid unit - she may be a little less punchy than the other 2 berserkers but she's much safer due to her high skill. Her support with Xander is also pretty good, though most of her supports are great tbh. 

2 questions:  Are we going off of characters that we personally don't use that much, but are better, or characters that are generally passed up for better units?   And do we need to list those specific games that you mentioned, or any games what we played?  

FE 7: Pretty much the only character that I use that not many people use is Bartre, and not just to Get Karla.  I genuenly like his character, and I think he has a spot in my army for 2 reasons:  Axe utility, Bow utility when I don't want to bother with Rebecca.  (I personally dislike Wil, but that's ok if others like him)

FE 8:  Marisa, Moulder, and Syrene.  Those three are considered not very good units, but I love them to prices anyway.  Moulder is A literal walking mentor, able to push mountains and shatter low-res enemies.  Saleh and Lute are better, but I use them too.  Marisa.  She's hot, her backstory and personality are there, despite what every other person says.  She kicks ass.  Joshua is better, but for some reason.... I can't use him.  syrene.... She's great utility, has a fantastic support with Gilliam, and she can hold her own as a replacement unit.  Tana's better.

Awakening:  Haven't played this one in a while, but I'd say that people usually pass up Say'ri.  She has good bases, growths, and she makes a great support with Robin as a general or Axe user.  What?  Never Reclassed Robin before?

Fates:  Beat it once, but I like using Felicia (not that underused), and benny, in conquest.  They are passed up for Jacob, Kaze, and any other shuriken user, and Benny is passed up for Effie.  As for Birthrout, Shura (I use him always) and Azama.  Azama is freaking amazing, and a total prick.  Reminds me of our lord and savior Shinon.

Edited by Lord Tullus

I think Astrid in Radiant Dawn is pretty dope. Sure she has a hard time killing things in her opening chapters but that innate Paragon is massively useful. I managed to get her to cap all of her stats using Blossom by the time she hit Level 14 as a Silver Knight. Next run through I'm going to promote her asap to get her killing things faster.

FE6: While I do use Alan and Lance... I don't mind bringing along Noah, Tate and Shanna (er... does she count?) to cause some in-game mayhem... Sure, while her stats suck, I do bring Yuno for ferrying utility.

FE7: Uh...

FE8: Syrene and Kyle... Yes, I actually ship those two...

FE9: Err... I don't find anyone here underrated...

Edited by Frosty

Fe1, 3, 11 and 12: Most of the units are pretty overlooked, in my opinion.

Fe4: Arden most of the footies, I guess.

Fe6: Wendy Tate, Noah, Yuno (kind of), Dorothy. And maybe Yodel and Cecilia....? All do fine, except for maybe Yuno and Noah (former at least has flying utility, latter is just sort of meh).

Fe7: Dart, Dorcas, Bartre (first one is fast and has enough strength, second joins in tutorial so he can level up finely, and last one is..fine, too, I guess). Oswin (I don't think he's actually underrated, is he?), Louise ( I assume she's overlooked since her husband is a mage and overall way better. But she does really fine, tbh) and Heath (he's not as great as the peggies, tbh, but eh, he's fine enough).

FE8: I don't think anyone's really underrated, but I guess Rennac, Artur, Syrene, Moulder, and Gilliam could be considered as underrated.

FE4: everyone is pretty useful, but I suppose Alec, and I really like Ferry, she's best girl.

FE7: Erk is my boy! Also Wil, Lowen, Bartre, Heath, Priscilla, and Fiora (is she popular?).

FE8: Marisa, Amelia, and Artur.

FE9: Brom and Ike who is the most underrated of them all.

Edited by immatx

On 4/9/2017 at 9:17 PM, YouSquiddinMe said:

FE14: Beruka often gets pushed to the wayside over her liege, which makes sense because Camilla is just ridiculous, but I find that making Beruka into a berserker instantly fixes her mediocre HP and Speed and makes her an all around solid unit - she may be a little less punchy than the other 2 berserkers but she's much safer due to her high skill. Her support with Xander is also pretty good, though most of her supports are great tbh. 

I do agree that Beruka does get overlooked, which is to be expected when she joins with Camilla, but I question if making her a Berserker really is worth it since the crit evade penalty means Berserkers aren't safe. 

That said, RD Rolf comes to mind for overlooked units for much the same reason as Beruka, as well as Erk.

Shannan and Ares from Genealogy of the Holy War. The two of them are as badass as they come with their Holy Weapons.

Edited by Wraith

Fe4- It's a small cast where horse units are god and foot units stuggle to keep up, but are still solid statwise or completely trash. I guess Midayle is pretty good(?) for chipping, especially if you provide him either a brave or killer bow

Fe5- Robert is pretty decent if invested into, especially since he doesn't lose access to his bows upon dismounting for those indoor chapters. Glade and Fred also worked out as decent units for supporting your main units. 

Fe6- Trec is still terrible but I find him to be better than Noah.

Fe7- I'm a big fan of using Legault over Matthew

Fe8- Duessel is one of my favourite units that I believe is usually benched in favour for others in normal playthroughs. Great bases and only needs a speedwing to get going. Kyle is another one who can make an awesome great knight too. Moulder is also really valuable as a bishop in the late game

Fe11- Samson and Astram are usually put aside in favour of Ogma, but they usually have a niche in filling in the last spots on the maps that allow for a lot of units to be fielded

Fe13- Everyone has good growths but I'm particularly fond of using Gregor over many others

Fe14- Benny makes for an awesome tank and Keaton makes for a solid unit. Shura is also super solid as a chipper and healer

6 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I do agree that Beruka does get overlooked, which is to be expected when she joins with Camilla, but I question if making her a Berserker really is worth it since the crit evade penalty means Berserkers aren't safe. 

That said, RD Rolf comes to mind for overlooked units for much the same reason as Beruka, as well as Erk.

The crit evade penalty hardly offsets the sheer boost in killing power she gets. She usually one-shots on PP (like all Berserkers in Fates) and with WTA and the combination of her S-Support boost (which she should have with Xander before or right after she promotes anyway) and her own solid luck, she should be boosted enough that the reduction in crit evade isn't noticeable anyway (Though I don't think WTA has anything to do with crit evade). She's safer than Arthur in that regard, and her Def remains solid as a Berserker so she's better than Charlotte there, albeit less powerful than both in terms of Strength.

But, I was referring to "can actually hit things as a Fighter without a Dual Club/Bronze Axe and all the Secret Books, unlike Charlotte and Arthur" when I said "safe" lol

Anyways, I've been using her on Lunatic Conquest and she's a lot of fun.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

The crit evade penalty hardly offsets the sheer boost in killing power she gets. She usually one-shots on PP (like all Berserkers in Fates) and with WTA and the combination of her S-Support boost (which she should have with Xander before or right after she promotes anyway) and her own solid luck should be enough that the reduction in crit evade isn't noticeable anyway. She's safer than Arthur in that regard, and her Def remains solid as a Berserker so she's better than Charlotte there, albeit less powerful than both in terms of Strength.

But, I was referring to "can actually hit things as a Fighter without a Dual Club/Bronze Axe and all the Secret Books, unlike Charlotte and Arthur" when I said "safe" lol

Anyways, I've been using her on Lunatic Conquest and she's a lot of fun.

Eh, I don't see it that way, in large part because facing crit chances from everything under the sun is, in my view, even worse than being weak to Stealth Rock in Pokemon, and we all know how big a deal that is. Tbf, I find Berserker much better as an enemy class than as a player class as far as this game goes, because the risk vs reward is heavily skewed in the enemy's favour. Also, I don't see Beruka's defense as so good when it's compromised by the threat of eating triple damage from random grunts.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Eh, I don't see it that way, in large part because facing crit chances from everything under the sun is, in my view, even worse than being weak to Stealth Rock in Pokemon, and we all know how big a deal that is. Tbf, I find Berserker much better as an enemy class than as a player class as far as this game goes, because the risk vs reward is heavily skewed in the enemy's favour.

To each their own, I find Berserkers to be the best class besides Sorcerers in Fates. If nothing else I recommend giving it a shot if you play through Conquest again!

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

To each their own, I find Berserkers to be the best class besides Sorcerers in Fates. If nothing else I recommend giving it a shot if you play through Conquest again!

On the other hand, I see Berserkers as the worst class in the game because using them is not unlike dealing with walkoff camping in Smash - it means I assume a very high risk (instantly dying) to the enemy's nonexistent risk, and the reward I get is virtually nonexistent vs the enemy's massive (game-ending) reward. So no thank you.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

53 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

On the other hand, I see Berserkers as the worst class in the game because using them is not unlike dealing with walkoff camping in Smash - it means I assume a very high risk (instantly dying) to the enemy's nonexistent risk, and the reward I get is virtually nonexistent vs the enemy's massive (game-ending) reward. So no thank you.

I'm not looking for an argument lol, no need to act so uptight man. A simple "not interested" would have sufficed.

Fire emblem Fates: I would have to say that two of the most underrated characters in Fates are Scarlet and Reina because of how well written they were, but lacked the necessary supports to really get into their characters. 

Fe 7: Dorcas

The first thing that comes to mind for me speaking purely mechanically is Ricken in Awakening. People groan endlessly that he's one of the worst units in the game, but I've used him to great effect on every single one of my playthroughs of the game. His magic stat was astronomical, he was doubling most everything he fought, and all of this without a single reclass. Awakening is already ridiculously easy, to the point that the vast majority of your units are godly in comparison to the enemy units anyway.

Also Laurent. I like him quite a bit, since he has a little more depth than Miriel does while having her same gimmick, and I pair Ricken and Miriel off to give him an astronomical magic stat. He works really well for me, even if nobody else seems to like him.

I find that Roger and Cord are consistently good for me in Shadow Dragon, despite that I never really hear anybody... talk about them at all, really.

I also got pretty good results out of Sniper Raiden/Leiden/however you spell his name in New Mystery during my Hard mode playthrough.

I vaguely recall having a pretty decent Archer→Sniper Roshea during an early Shadow Dragon playthrough, but that was a while ago. On that note, and a similarly long time ago, I think I ended up with a pretty solid Trec in Binding Blade, albeit not without a little bit of favoritism to get him going.

Gonna second Lowen in Blazing Blade, too. He's a really weird high-HP-but-otherwise-mixed-bag-type unit, but he usually ends up decent enough. His one extra point of constitution lets him wield more weapons without speed penalty and his quick, early supports with Rebecca do a lot to help the both of them get going.

Edited by Topaz Light

Peri. Fight me.

I know a lot of people understandably dislike her personality, but I've come across quite a few people who dislike her stats as a unit as well, and I don't really understand why. She may not always hit and has unusually low defense for a Cavalier, but she is very strong and resistant, so I think she works well as a glass cannon and mage killer. Not to mention she is really fast, unlike quite a few Conquest characters. She was one of my MVPs my first run, but of course, I only play on normal mode, so her usefulness probably varies.