Underrated/Overlooked Fire Emblem Characters?

TheZakkAttack

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for personalities- those who look less deep are more likely to be fine with Neph and Mia. If you scratch the surface, Neph is kinda shy and a country girl, but not much else. Mia is a near-Ilyana atrocity who Largo should get a restraining order against.

If you want depth, Marcia isn't terribly developed, but at least has two decent notes- brother troubles and perkiness.

Marcia's not that deep, but neither are Mia and Nephenee and for some reason people love them. In fact, I'd argue that Marcia is a bit deeper than either of them due to the whole thing with her brother. She all but confirms that their parents are dead and that she still tries to help her brother because he's the only family she has left. And then she later left the Begnion Holy Guard to be one of Elincia's knights.

We learn literally nothing about Mia's family, and all we know of Nephenee's is that she's the oldest of nine siblings.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Depends on the type of player. Efficiency and LTC calls Marcia 10/10 in PoR. Just dump all your BEXP in her as soon as you get her, and she will be a flying monster from beginning to end. Bad availability hurts her in RD, but I like the bond she's surprisingly built with Elincia.

Jill is Marcia sans Res and -Speed, but more Str and Def on Efficiency, still top tier material. Though she isn't really liked on LTC due to costing turns. She's also the single best investment unit in RD, blowing Neph out of the water in this regard.

For a more casual player, I can see them being drawn to Neph due to her Wrath, which is totally out of place personality-wise, but rocks from a gameplay perspective.

Mia can run Vantage-Wrath in PoR, but without the combo is a weaker Zihark/Stefan, not terrible though. Not a bad Part 3 GM in RD either, albeit in need of training, and Neph does too, and casual players are more often draw to growth units than not.

As for personalities- those who look less deep are more likely to be fine with Neph and Mia. If you scratch the surface, Neph is kinda shy and a country girl, but not much else. Mia is a near-Ilyana atrocity who Largo should get a restraining order against.

If you want depth, Marcia isn't terribly developed, but at least has two decent notes- brother troubles and perkiness. And Jill has a character arc that should be considered the ideal for minor FE characters development. Though Jill general interests and other normal aspects are kinda left unexplored due to the heavy focus on her development out of racism and her struggle to disobey her father.

On that note, I personally find Shinon underrated in terms of personality/character. Read his supports, add his pre-departure plot dialogue, and then his convos once an enemy in PoR, and then throw with his RD bits, and we have one extremely well-formed and one of a kind in FE character. He's provocative and edgy, but so wonderfully complex.

What I like best about Shinon's personality is that he doesn't actually develop much. We see that he has a soft spot for Rolf but on the whole he's still basically the same asshole he was at the start of the series as he is at the end. Even joining after his defection isn't about changing his out look on the world, just his opinion on Ike as a successor to Greil. Kind of nice to have a few dicks among the playable cast who on the whole are mostly goody two shoes or people who's major negative traits are played for comedy.

Edited by Jotari

11 hours ago, Sias said:

Not trying to be rude here, but are those three really all that underrated? I think it's kind of understandable how they didn't score in the top ranks of the heroes poll, considering they are neither 3DS characters nor Smash representatives, but when we take a look at the fanbase that has actually played the Teliius games?

Jill seems to be a favourite due to being both a great unit and a well-developed character. Elinicia's part of RD is generally known as piece of high quality writing (and Amiti is pretty nice as well), whereas Marcia is just absurdly good in PoR while still being solid in RD.

There was also the problem with the vote splitting, so if she did have fans, they may have been discouraged from voting for her because of that.

Underrated :

Binding Blade : Geese and Oujay, once again. Wade and Lott. Treck, Noah, Zealot. Dorothy. Rei is eclipsed (see what i did there?) by Niime and Sophia. Any Knight not nmaed Wendy. Hugh as well, because he's kinda wierd.

Blazing Sword : Lowen is my favourite character of the game, so let me mention him again. Isadora is pretty bad, so no one uses her, but she's a pretty great character with really good supports (Legaut x Isadora's pairing ending....). Erk leaves in the shadow of his master and Nino. Wallace is quite popular, but everyone uses Geitz instead.

Sacred Stones : Natasha (Moulder have some kind of "memetic" fame at least.). Franz, Forde and Kyle. Syrene.

PoR/RD : Devdan/Danved, Rhys, Brom (he have some kind of fame in RD, but in Brom he's really left behind.)

RD : Vyka, Kyza and Lyre.

Seriously, people says that Fiona is screwed, and I agree completely, but Vyka gets it even worse. Zero Development, and the worst availability of the game (with Muarim and Tormod.). When she gets back, you already have Naesalla, who is straight up better.

Kyza and Lyre are kina similar since Ranulf is already forced, and Lethe and Mordecai alrzady exists. It's kinda sad...

Awakneing : Kelllam. Stahl, I guess. Most of the children.

Fates : Most of the children.

So I had the misfortune of reading bad unit reviews in many websites, so I guess this counts for the "underrated" thread.

FE1: Anyone who says Marth is not a good unit is a moron, plain and simple. Jagen is underrated. Good chipper early on, great item mule that lasts the whole game. Yes, you have to experience the suckass item management in FE1 to know how important is to have an item mule. Barst is also underrated. Not as crazy as Shadow Dragon but he is still handy to kill armor dudes and bosses early on and save Excalibur uses.

FE2: I once read a website that says Silque and Celica suck and that is laughable. 

FE4: Midayle. "Jamke is better, he has better stats" Yeah, right, Jamke won't reach anything ever. Pony+stupid AI+weapons= good unit. Midayle's growths kinda suck but since this FE4 it doesn't matter since the enemies are pathetic and more often than not you get horrible levelups with every character.

FE6&7: Marcus might be the most underrated unit in FE history. So many filthy casuals dismissing him because "he steals exp" and "his stats suck." FE6 Marcus is the only reason why FE6 earlygame is beatable and in FE7 his bases are super good and his growths aren't even that bad. Also included in this list are Jerrot, Isadora, Ingrene and Klein.

FE8: Moulder is so underrated. Great staff rank, good starting level and join time, has great HP, good con. Like hell Natasha and L'Arachel are better. Duessel and Saleh are given on a silver platter but because they are prepromotes they suck right? So many woes from the phantom boat and the desert map and these 2 make them easy. Kyle is a little underrated. Easy level 10 promo, great for the phantom ship, decent bait, and a good taxi for Ephraim or Lute if she isn't promoted.

FE13: Sumia in general. She may not be the most interesting character but there are way worse out there. As a unit she isn't bad at all, people act as if Cordelia deleted her usefulness from the game.

4 hours ago, L9999 said:

FE8: Moulder is so underrated. Great staff rank, good starting level and join time, has great HP, good con. Like hell Natasha and L'Arachel are better. Duessel and Saleh are given on a silver platter but because they are prepromotes they suck right? So many woes from the phantom boat and the desert map and these 2 make them easy. Kyle is a little underrated. Easy level 10 promo, great for the phantom ship, decent bait, and a good taxi for Ephraim or Lute if she isn't promoted.

I disagree on Moulder - I don't see his availability lead nor his marginal level lead meaning much, and honestly, his high con means jack shit, far as I'm concerned. His growth spread is uninspiring too (highest growths are HP and Skill... Yay?).

4 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

Underrated :

Binding Blade : Geese and Oujay, once again. Wade and Lott. Treck, Noah, Zealot. Dorothy. Rei is eclipsed (see what i did there?) by Niime and Sophia. Any Knight not nmaed Wendy. Hugh as well, because he's kinda wierd.

Blazing Sword : Lowen is my favourite character of the game, so let me mention him again. Isadora is pretty bad, so no one uses her, but she's a pretty great character with really good supports (Legaut x Isadora's pairing ending....). Erk leaves in the shadow of his master and Nino. Wallace is quite popular, but everyone uses Geitz instead.

Sacred Stones : Natasha (Moulder have some kind of "memetic" fame at least.). Franz, Forde and Kyle. Syrene.

PoR/RD : Devdan/Danved, Rhys, Brom (he have some kind of fame in RD, but in Brom he's really left behind.)

RD : Vyka, Kyza and Lyre.

Seriously, people says that Fiona is screwed, and I agree completely, but Vyka gets it even worse. Zero Development, and the worst availability of the game (with Muarim and Tormod.). When she gets back, you already have Naesalla, who is straight up better.

Kyza and Lyre are kina similar since Ranulf is already forced, and Lethe and Mordecai alrzady exists. It's kinda sad...

Awakneing : Kelllam. Stahl, I guess. Most of the children.

Fates : Most of the children.

This might just be nitpicking, but I don't see most of the Awakening children as overlooked. The laguz you listed, you can largely blame on the fact that laguz are just high maintenance relative to beorc, and slower to improve too. Moulder's memetic "fame" might mean something if the meme surrounding him wasn't grade-A lame, which it is (as is most FE memes).

Back to the topic at hand, I have to add Hinata (oft seen as inferior to Hana and Ryoma, but tbh, his tankiness is a pretty big boon when just staring hard is likely to leave most Hoshidan units dead).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I disagree on Moulder - I don't see his availability lead nor his marginal level lead meaning much, and honestly, his high con means jack shit, far as I'm concerned. His growth spread is uninspiring too (highest growths are HP and Skill... Yay?).

Every bit of advantage counts to get to the minimal promotion level since leveling up healers is painfully slow. L'Arachel arrives too damn late and Natasha joins at level freaking 1. Moulder's staff rank means faster warp and access to utility staves that make life easier, like Torch and Restore, who Natasha and L´Arachel can't use at base, and raising staff ranks is also a pain in the ass in GBA. Moulder's stats growths aren't great, but Natasha's bases stink so her growths won't do much, and its not like L'Arachel is going to do something to grow a single level. Moulder's con has come in handy a couple times for some unlikely rescues.

Edited by L9999

47 minutes ago, L9999 said:

Every bit of advantage counts to get to the minimal promotion level since leveling up healers is painfully slow. L'Arachel arrives too damn late and Natasha joins at level freaking 1. Moulder's staff rank means faster warp and access to utility staves that make life easier, like Torch and Restore, who Natasha and L´Arachel can't use at base, and raising staff ranks is also a pain in the ass in GBA. Moulder's stats growths aren't great, but Natasha's bases stink so her growths won't do much, and its not like L'Arachel is going to do something to grow a single level. Moulder's con has come in handy a couple times for some unlikely rescues.

Bold: You're only about half right. Natasha and L'arachel both can use Torch at base, and I'd imagine that by the time that status effects are even worth worrying about, they'd be able to use Restore - it ain't like we're talking about FE6 here, where staff rank went up at a snail's pace.

Everything else: Maybe, but it all depends on how big I see the advantages to be, and I generally don't see availability advantages to mean much unless one party joins much later than the other, especially if you suck or otherwise drag the team down.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

FE6: Oujay and Zeiss, in my experience. Also, I don't know if Fir counts, but on my most recent playthrough I had a Fir with great stats. 17 strength, 16 defense, capped speed and skill at 20/12, I think. Her only real flaw was HP. 

FE7: Legault, Fiora, and Heath. I had a solid Rath once too, but I'm biased due to my love for nomads. 

FE8: I guess Marisa? Anyone is salvageable (for the most part) in this game if you throw them in the Tower. 

FE9: Tormod turns amazing if you elect to train him. I also like to use Muarim.

FE10: Aran tanks like no other. I had a couple of good runs with Leonardo as well, despite the fact that Shinon is better by far in this game. 

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Bold: You're only about half right. Natasha and L'arachel both can use Torch at base, and I'd imagine that by the time that status effects are even worth worrying about, they'd be able to use Restore - it ain't like we're talking about FE6 here, where staff rank went up at a snail's pace.

Everything else: Maybe, but it all depends on how big I see the advantages to be, and I generally don't see availability advantages to mean much unless one party joins much later than the other, especially if you suck or otherwise drag the team down.

Messed up. In my recent playthrough of SS I was playing fast so I assumed* L'Arachel had C rank at base until Eph Chapter 14 I found out she couldn't use Restore or Unlock to speed things up and I didn't like it.

9 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

This might just be nitpicking, but I don't see most of the Awakening children as overlooked. The laguz you listed, you can largely blame on the fact that laguz are just high maintenance relative to beorc, and slower to improve too. Moulder's memetic "fame" might mean something if the meme surrounding him wasn't grade-A lame, which it is (as is most FE memes).

Back to the topic at hand, I have to add Hinata (oft seen as inferior to Hana and Ryoma, but tbh, his tankiness is a pretty big boon when just staring hard is likely to leave most Hoshidan units dead).

Well, eah, you're right. Most are quite popular, (The Fates Trio, Cynthia, Jérôme, Nah, Noire...).

For the Laguz, the other problem, mainly in RD, is that not only are they high maintenance, but it's not even worse the use. Volug is forced, and he's really helpfull in Micaiah's army, but Nailah is straight up better, no matter what. Why trying to train all the laguz feline, when you have the Lions that are far better (and Skrimir is forced as well...), and Ranulf is forced, so better use him. Janaff and Ulki at least have a unique skill that makes them somewhat compete (mainly Ulki) with Tibarn. Availabilty is also more important for them than for Beorc.

Here my underrated picks based on whether they are units that I've see people skip on using.

Heath an awesome character and a flying war machine

Beruka will be a flying tank if she get's enough experience

Dart my favorite Berserker

Rath I prefer him to either Will or Rebecca even though I do like those two as well

Harken

Isadora

Rinkah for a fighter like unit she will turn out surprisingly tanky

Hinatta

Dorcas

Brom I really like Brom he's one of my favorite Marshalls in Radiant Dawn

Fiona I also like her if you can get her to paladin she will show a lot more promise and potential

Stefan I like his character a lot and he usually is one of my best true blades in Radiant Dawn

Volug is awesome and can carry the team to the end of the game.

There are others I can think of but I don't want to go too long.

• 2 months later...

More underrated units:

Erk gets no love for the most ridiculous excuses. He has the same combat parameters as Lucius and Canas, and has better availability, which means he can get more exp faster and promote earlier. "He is invalidated by Pent" OK, how about the maps Pent is not in? Is Erk suddenly ineffectual? No. By that logic Lucius and Canas suck as well because they are worse than Pent. "There is no need for 2 sages" Says who? If the deal is using one of each weapon type you are on a pitfall. Nowhere in FE7 is light/dark magic necessary, anima books are better to begin with, and there is no written or enforced rule that prevents you from using multiple of the same class aside from completely arbitrary bias. "He gets RNG screwed" Personal experience does not constitute for an argument. If it is about the so called max stat potential it doesn't matter because A) It has never matttered B) The enemies in FE7 are pathetic trash. "His staff rank sucks" Do staves even matter in FE7? He can do just fine with a heal staff.

Dew is the most underrated thief in history. His stats are terrible, but who is going to get the money so Laquesis can get the Paragon Ring? Dew. Who is going to give money to Sigurd when he is broke? Dew. Who gives money to Ethlyn and Edain for buying staff? Dew. Who is not fighting so he can go to visit the villages for money? Dew. Who gives Warp for CH2 shenanigans? Dew. Who lowers the bridge in CH4? Dew. Not joking Dew is a top 5 unit and I rather have him alive than guys like Lex or Beowulf.

Mage!Tobin is severely underrated. Level 6 Excalibur, better base speed than Kliff, gets Physic as Sage so he can still contribute. "But Kliff's growths" Having someone who is inmediately useful who then falls off is better than having to baby a worthless scrub until he becomes tolerable. Tobin can still work in the lategame because the enemies have stats just as bad as his, and having an extra Physic user is better than having a "nuke" who doesn't do crap.

FE3!Arlen. Great bases, good growths (bonus with starshard abuse), insta promo, great weapon level, deceptively bulky for a mage. Arlen is a much better pick than Linde, along with papa Wendell and Merric.

Cecilia: Her stats are bad but she has great weapon ranks and a pony, which means she will automatically be good. A in magic means Aircalibur to kill dragon spam and B staff allows use of Hammerne and Recover. No, Failine is not better, her stats are even worse than Cecilia's. Having magic is more important in a healer than speed, not to mention dodgetanking has never been reliable nor necessary.

Edited by L9999

2 minutes ago, L9999 said:

More underrated units:

Erk gets no love for the most ridiculous excuses. He has the same combat parameters as Lucius and Canas, and has better availability, which means he can get more exp faster and promote earlier. "He is invalidated by Pent" OK, how about the maps Pent is not in? Is Erk suddenly ineffectual? No. By that logic Lucius and Canas suck as well because they are worse than Pent. "There is no need for 2 sages" Says who? If the deal is using one of each weapon type you are on a pitfall. Nowhere in FE7 is light/dark magic necessary, anima books are better to begin with, and there is no written or enforced rule that prevents you from using multiple of the same class aside from completely arbitrary bias. "He gets RNG screwed" Personal experience does not constitute for an argument. If it is about the so called max stat potential it doesn't matter because A) It has never matttered B) The enemies in FE7 are pathetic trash. "His staff rank sucks" Do staves even matter in FE7? He can do just fine with a heal staff.

Dew is the most underrated thief in history. His stats are terrible, but who is going to get the money so Laquesis can get the Paragon Ring? Who is going to give money to Sigurd when he is broke? Dew. Who gives money to Ethlyn and Edain for buying staff? Dew. Who is not fighting so he can go to visit the villages for money? Dew. Who gives Warp for CH2 shenanigans? Dew. Who lowers the bridge in CH4? Dew. Not joking Dew is a top 5 unit and I rather have him alive than guys like Lex or Beowulf.

Mage!Tobin is severely underrated. Level 6 Excalibur, better base speed than Kliff, gets Physic as Sage so he can still contribute. "But Kliff's growths" Having someone who is inmediately useful who then falls off is better than having to baby a worthless scrub until he becomes tolerable. Tobin can still work in the lategame because the enemies have stats just as bad as his, and having an extra Physic user is better than having a "nuke" who doesn't do crap.

FE3!Arlen. Great bases, good growths (bonus with starshard abuse), insta promo, great weapon level, deceptively bulky for a mage. Arlen is a much better pick than Linde, along with papa Wendell and Merric.

Cecilia: Her stats are bad but she has great weapon ranks and a pony, which means she will automatically be good. A in magic means Aircalibur to kill dragon spam and B staff allows use of Hammerne, and Recover. No, Failine is not better, her stats are even worse than Cecilia's. Having magic is more important in a healer than speed, not to mention dodgetanking has never been reliable nor necessary.

Dew also has surprisingly high growth rates for a Gen 1 unit. Though it's highly unlikely he'll ever become a combat unit due to his low bases but it does give him some good fathering potential (though his kids will probably need a pursuit ring).

It suddenly strikes me that it makes perfect sense that Cecilia is statistically bad still has useful utility and weapon ranks. She is a general but she inherited the position and is better known as being Roy's teacher. So she's more of a combat intellectual than a naturally strong fighter.

From what I've seen, it's ya boy to the left here. He seems to not be as popular of a unit as many others of his ilk.

Why is Homer overlooked?

1.) He's the second in a long string of underleveled, borderline uberunits that you get in T776's mid game. The first being Mareeta, who has too many useful skills in her arsenal to count(Really she has 2, which is a lot for this game). His recruitment is also a bit tricky, so while you WILL get Mareeta, Homer's not a guarantee. Linoan is also automatic, and Sleuf's can't be permanently fucked like Homer's can. Sara's is a bit tricky, but she at least is an enemy on the map of one route, so you can suss out her recruitment, and the other is a basic visit deal. The only one that comes close is Miranda, but there's a chance you won't even get the opportunity to recruit her. But overall, Miranda, Sara, Mareeta, Sleuf, and Linoan to a lesser extent, all generally get more attention than Homer.

2.) He has competition from two major units. Asvel's a solid early-game mage who comes with his own prf weapon that's nearly as good as the Pugi and the Adept skill. Ced's one of the two Gotohs you get, and he comes with a Holy weapon. A proper Genealogy holy weapon. The might is nerfed from 30, but it still has 20/20+(Actually buffed from Genealogy, where it was 20/10) on Speed and Skill. In a game where stats max out at 20 across the board and Ced probably will hit those two.

So how can Homer be overlooked?

Scrolls+Paragon

1.) The secret to getting most of the mid-game Ests to work usually relies on promoting them late enough to where they'll hit the caps they're gonna hit, but early enough to where their promotion gains will catch them up to the units you're already using. Homer is one of the few units in the whole game who can make relative advantage of going 20/20, due to the insane speed at which he'll grow levels. Sara, potentially the last in the line of FE5 Ests, also has Paragon. But her being stafflocked until promotion slows her leveling capacity down significantly. To add to this, outside of Mareeta, most of your units up until Homer will likely be coming along, having made use they need of the scrolls in your inventory. Combined with his very high leveling rate, it makes Homer a perfect unit to hold on to them until further notice. Added on top of his already very high growth rates.

2.) On his own, Homer will absolutely beat Asvel and Ced in raw stats, hitting caps in speed, skill, luck and magic very quickly(He'll probably hit 20 in luck and speed even before promotion), higher defenses and a good deal more HP on the both of them. On top of this, he has a PCC of 5, effectively giving him a soft Wrath, where Asvel and Ced will only ever have 3. Ced does have 1 Leadership Star and one more Movement Star than Homer. With, just say, one scroll, the very one you get in his recruitment chapter, Homer becomes a Sage tank of death. With the Dain scroll, assuming it stays on him until he hits 20/20, Homer's defense growth skyrockets to 45%, his movement growth nearly triples to 8%, he actually gets a strength growth, while his massive speed growth drops from 70% to 60%, where he'll still cap it at promotion. However, at 20/20, he'll now very likely cap defense, and have a whopping 10 move, while still capping every other stat. With just that one scroll. You could load Dain, Hezul, Baldur and Neir on him for just 10 levels(Which really wouldn't take long at all, and you'd have these scrolls by his recruitment), and he'd be a level 15 unpromoted mage with 35 HP, an extra 3 strength, 1 less luck, an extra 4 defense, 1 more con, and 1 more move. Leveling him to 20/20 with no more scrolls would put him at 52 HP, 15 defense, 9 move, 10 con and all the caps he naturally caps still capped. Still VERY tanky.

He'd still face stiff competition from Ced, due to Ced's Forseti, but he'd be head and shoulders above Asbel, who likely is running out, or has run out of Grafcalibur by mid-to-end game, depending on how often it sees use.

Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Slumber said:

From what I've seen, it's ya boy to the left here. He seems to not be as popular of a unit as many others of his ilk.

Why is Homer overlooked?

1.) He's the second in a long string of underleveled, borderline uberunits that you get in T776's mid game. The first being Mareeta, who has too many useful skills in her arsenal to count(Really she has 2, which is a lot for this game). His recruitment is also a bit tricky, so while you WILL get Mareeta, Homer's not a guarantee. Linoan is also automatic, and Sleuf's can't be permanently fucked like Homer's can. Sara's is a bit tricky, but she at least is an enemy on the map of one route, so you can suss out her recruitment, and the other is a basic visit deal. The only one that comes close is Miranda, but there's a chance you won't even get the opportunity to recruit her. But overall, Miranda, Sara, Mareeta, Sleuf, and Linoan to a lesser extent, all generally get more attention than Homer.

2.) He has competition from two major units. Asvel's a solid early-game mage who comes with his own prf weapon that's nearly as good as the Pugi and the Adept skill. Ced's one of the two Gotohs you get, and he comes with a Holy weapon. A proper Genealogy holy weapon. The might is nerfed from 30, but it still has 20/20+(Actually buffed from Genealogy, where it was 20/10) on Speed and Skill. In a game where stats max out at 20 across the board and Ced probably will hit those two.

So how can Homer be overlooked?

Scrolls+Paragon

1.) The secret to getting most of the mid-game Ests to work usually relies on promoting them late enough to where they'll hit the caps they're gonna hit, but early enough to where their promotion gains will catch them up to the units you're already using. Homer is one of the few units in the whole game who can make relative advantage of going 20/20, due to the insane speed at which he'll grow levels. Sara, potentially the last in the line of FE5 Ests, also has Paragon. But her being stafflocked until promotion slows her leveling capacity down significantly. To add to this, outside of Mareeta, most of your units up until Homer will likely be coming along, having made use they need of the scrolls in your inventory. Combined with his very high leveling rate, it makes Homer a perfect unit to hold on to them until further notice. Added on top of his already very high growth rates.

2.) On his own, Homer will absolutely beat Asvel and Ced in raw stats, hitting caps in speed, skill, luck and magic very quickly(He'll probably hit 20 in luck and speed even before promotion), higher defenses and a good deal more HP on the both of them. On top of this, he has a PCC of 5, effectively giving him a soft Wrath, where Asvel and Ced will only ever have 3. Ced does have 1 Leadership Star and one more Movement Star than Homer. With, just say, one scroll, the very one you get in his recruitment chapter, Homer becomes a Sage tank of death. With the Dain scroll, assuming it stays on him until he hits 20/20, Homer's defense growth skyrockets to 45%, his movement growth nearly triples to 8%, he actually gets a strength growth, while his massive speed growth drops from 70% to 60%, where he'll still cap it at promotion. However, at 20/20, he'll now very likely cap defense, and have a whopping 10 move, while still capping every other stat. With just that one scroll. You could load Dain, Hezul, Baldur and Neir on him for just 10 levels(Which really wouldn't take long at all, and you'd have these scrolls by his recruitment), and he'd be a level 15 unpromoted mage with 35 HP, an extra 3 strength, 1 less luck, an extra 4 defense, 1 more con, and 1 more move. Leveling him to 20/20 with no more scrolls would put him at 52 HP, 15 defense, 9 move, 10 con and all the caps he naturally caps still capped. Still VERY tanky.

He'd still face stiff competition from Ced, due to Ced's Forseti, but he'd be head and shoulders above Asbel, who likely is running out, or has run out of Grafcalibur by mid-to-end game, depending on how often it sees use.

I'd say Bromeros' under appreciation has a lot to do with being from the second or third least played game in the series. And also, as you mentioned, like 90+% of the cast being useable in that game. I think light tomes being basically non existent until a secret shop near the end game also kind of lowers his standing a bit (not really in terms of gameplay since he can still use good anime tomes, but in terms of standing out from the crowd).

He's friends with Shannam though. So he gets a definite A+ from me in coolness.

Edited by Jotari

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'd say Bromeros' under appreciation has a lot to do with being from the second or third least played game in the series. And also, as you mentioned, like 90+% of the cast being useable in that game. I think light tomes being basically non existent until a secret shop near the end game also kind of lowers his standing a bit (not really in terms of gameplay since he can still use good anime tomes, but in terms of standing out from the crowd).

He's friends with Shannam though. So he gets a definite A+ from me in coolness.

I made my post in relation to what I've seen in general about FE5. Not so much in the series as a whole. And yeah, while pretty much everyone in FE5 is usable, the stretch of low level units you get from Mareeta to Miranda/Sara all have some of the best growths in the game and generally tend to get a lot of attention. And of them, I see the least about Homer. Even Linoan, who is similarly primarily a light-magic user, seems to get more attention. Homer will likely mainly use Wind until Light becomes readily available, which is why I narrowed down his main competition to Asvel and Ced.

Being friends with Shannam is a definite boost. Plus. Look at the guy.

Edited by Slumber

For me, I would say  Barst from the Archanea Series. I pretty much use him  in every game he is in. Many due to being the foundation for almost every ax-fighter in the series. High  Hp, strength, and decent speed.

Another character would be Cherche from Awakening. Being one of  the strongest units in the game, and being petty bulky.

Why is she overlooked?

being underwhelming considering re-classing, and mentioning Minerva in almost every support conversation can rub some people in the wrong way, and no access to gale force

Hard mode Edward is underrated for me.
He's a great PP unit and the only one besides Jill (with transfers) who can constantly double and ORKO things.
It just requires to give him as many levels as possible in the early chapters because he has some problems in the beginning if he levels neither strength nor speed. He should get two levels in the prologue already. 
I normally manage it now to promote him in the base of 1-8 which is not hard at all tbh. With making correct use of bexp. he will have more strength and about equal defense as Zihark when he has reached the same level. 
Nolan can be easier screwed than Edward in HM because of his lower base speed and the lower exp. gain in the beginning. I'm even honest enough to myself to say Edward > Nolan in part 1. When Nolan's support level is high enough he'll become an amazing dodgetank in part 3. 

I'd say Leonardo's overall perfomance is underrated. At least in part 3 because he's your only real range weapon user. Lughnasadh makes him useful if he has at least 15 speed to double tigers. Overall Leonardo > Aran in HM.

On 5/6/2017 at 1:47 PM, Tamanoir said:

Underrated :

Binding Blade : Rei is eclipsed (see what i did there?) by Niime and Sophia.

Niime? Yes. Sophia? How so, when she joins at a later time at a far lower level and worse bases?

Blazing Sword : Isadora is pretty bad, so no one uses her, but she's a pretty great character with really good supports (Legaut x Isadora's pairing ending....). 

Isadora isn't bad at all. She's actually pretty decent. Doubles frequently, and has some nice weapon ranks.

Erk leaves in the shadow of his master and Nino.

Except how so in the case of the latter? Even if you use his master, Erk will still be at a higher level by the time Nino joins.

Geitz. After watching mangs FE7 lets play I realize that many people might not use geitz because they are doing a ranked run, and many newcomers just don't know who Geitz is. He has some of my favorite supports I've ever read, and is definitely the best warrior in the game. (at least, in my personal experience.)

FE3 Arlen, most people just opt to use Merric, because of shinier promo gains, or Linde, for possibly being the most overrated Mage in the series. Arlen does have some distinct advantages over both of them. For one, he has a fantastic weapon level base, trumping both Merric and Linde. And like Merric, he can promote the instant you get him. He also has the highest defensive growths in the game (HP 90%, Def 30%). Now he can’t exactly ORKO the chap 11 wyverns (45 HP at base iirc and shaver having 12 effective might), but Merric can’t exactly OHKO them at base either, so both of them are still going to receive some heavy damage on counterattacks (since dragons ignore all defensive stats). His growths are pretty janky in all other areas, but in the dragon spam chapters he is a great candidate for those scrolls. Wendell might still be the best mage in Book 2, and the only way to save a bishop ring for both Merric and Arlen is through the chapter 5 secret shop, but he can surprise you and is FAR from a low-tier unit in Book 2. (seriously, why hasn’t anyone updated the Book 2 unit rankings)

Edited by Ziggy McDougal

On 10/08/2017 at 3:55 PM, Just call me AL said:

Niime? Yes. Sophia? How so, when she joins at a later time at a far lower level and worse bases?

Isadora isn't bad at all. She's actually pretty decent. Doubles frequently, and has some nice weapon ranks.

Except how so in the case of the latter? Even if you use his master, Erk will still be at a higher level by the time Nino joins.

I wasn't talking only about stats for Sophia and Nino. Sophia is pretty much inferior statwise than Rei, but she's more popular, (or at least she was at the time.).

It's kinda similar with Erk and Nino. I have huge bias towards Nino and against Erk, but I have to admit the situation is pretty similar (Erk is slightly worse than Rei and Nino slightly better, but it's roughly equal honnestly.)
If you don't use Erk outside of Lyn's mode, he should still have roughly the same stats as Base Nino (Lv10 Erk vs Lv 5 Nino, using averages.)

Doesn't Isadora's Con hinder her speed ? I admit I never really used her.