Famitsu Review - 37/40! Highest Score for a FE game!

I'm just glad this game has supports because I was worried that it'd be like shadow dragon in that it tries to be too faithful if that makes sense. But it seems like a good combination of new and old from what I've seen (though activating supports on the battlefield seems a bit awkward and unnecessary...maybe it's a homage). I also like the music a lot (especially Alm map 2).

Can't wait for the written reviews. More than anything if people enjoy it due to the efforts that developers put into the details of this reimagining, then IS has got a winner of their hands :D.  

But I'm really intrigued how critics found the unconventional FE mechanics and narrative/characterisations of game that was bare-bones in the original but fleshed out in SoV.

I must persevere and not play the game till my final exams ends and hope to avoid spoilers as much as possible (rip already spoilt myself on some things lol).

I don't know if I'd go as far as Nihilzar, but Famitsu's scores do suffer from inflation on occasion (see also: Resident Evil 6, which not even its most diehard supporters would give the 39/40 Famitsu gave it), so I'm going to go with "cautiously optimistic" based on their score and pre-release and data mined info.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

...Really? I'm very surprised, because this game looks pretty meh to me. I expected more like 6/10.

1 hour ago, dap005 said:

Can't wait for the written reviews. More than anything if people enjoy it due to the efforts that developers put into the details of this reimagining, then IS has got a winner of their hands :D.  

But I'm really intrigued how critics found the unconventional FE mechanics and narrative/characterisations of game that was bare-bones in the original but fleshed out in SoV.

I must persevere and not play the game till my final exams ends and hope to avoid spoilers as much as possible (rip already spoilt myself on some things lol).

Famitsu's reviews are garbage-- they overrate everything. It's been the better part of a decade since any game has gotten below a 20/40, and any moderately big release gets praised to high heaven (heck, Puzzles and Dragons has a 38/40). The reviews themselves are done by four people (hence the out of 40 score), but are little more than just one or two sentence blurbs from each "reviewer".

The general rule of thumb is that if Famitsu rates a game 37 or higher out of 40, you subtract the 30 from it and make it out of ten.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

Famitsu's reviews are garbage-- they overrate everything. It's been the better part of a decade since any game has gotten below a 20/40, and any moderately big release gets praised to high heaven (heck, Puzzles and Dragons has a 38/40). The reviews themselves are done by four people (hence the out of 40 score), but are little more than just one or two sentence blurbs from each "reviewer".

The general rule of thumb is that if Famitsu rates a game 37 or higher out of 40, you subtract the 30 from it and make it out of ten.

I was more referring to any fully written Japanese reviews (not necessarily Famitsu's). I often find Famitsu's too short in all honesty. And ratings are dependent on the reviewers as well (and I find numbers too arbitrary to form a grounded impression of a game).

But I would in general like to know the game's recepetion amongst critics and players on Japanese release, since I want to share the excitement/be aware of certain issues with the game as well. 

If they never get translated, maybe I should just carry on learning Japanese :P. Eagerly awaiting for the English reviews as well bc if it gets code name steam-like scores I'd worry a lot about the game's sales (as much as I love CNS). 

Edited by dap005

Reviews in general shouldn't be trusted nowadays, you have to take the plunge and make your own opinions on things, because certain reviewers have biases or anti-biases. 

Reviews are more about publicity than actual players who know how every franchise works playing and giving their scores of games. I feel that its distressing that so many still go off scores from people they don't even personally know still to this day.

Its good for sales, that this is getting a "good score" from Famitsu but it shouldn't do anything to you if you were already hyped or if you didn't like the look of the game.

Edited by Jedi

Can't say I'm a fam of Famitsu's review style. but still a 36+ score is something I'll take as "there's no fatal flaws with this one!". Say, wasn't Fates' 36/40 the highest score for a FE game? I'm calling it now, FE Switch is getting a 38/40.

3 hours ago, Nihilzar said:

I can't take Famitsu seriously... Keep in mind, these were the same guys who gave FFXIII a perfect score. Soo I not feeling the hype at all, about this.

Actually they gave it's sequel the perfect score. 13 got a 39/40, which was super controversial at the time.

I enjoy reading the well written reviews (I'd say it was getting into games journalism and buying ONM magazines that helped improve my English writing skills, so I guess there's that bias :P) since it's an articulation of parts of a game that stood out for the critic.

I dislike the numbering system though since it just means different things for different people. People take and add points based on personal bias towards certain features etc. I'd rather just read about it and make my own mind up from the information I gathered (which is what good reviews should do, inform and let people know why certain features may appeal to them or not, it should not make blanket assumptions that all players would agree with the reviewers' sentiment or come up with silly reasons to take points off blah blah). 

I remember thinking the long turns in code name steam can actually impair my experience but then the update came and I snapped up the game. One of the best purchases I've ever made. 

Everything I learnt about SoV is my cup of tea so regardless of whether or not it's scoring 9s and 10s isn't going to matter to me in the slightest. But I imagine for some it would. 

Edited by dap005

On 4/11/2017 at 1:36 PM, Jedi said:

Reviews in general shouldn't be trusted nowadays, you have to take the plunge and make your own opinions on things, because certain reviewers have biases or anti-biases.

This is so true and what I tend to stick with, especially after seeing games like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorer's of Sky get a freaking 4.9/10 on IGN. (that game was great, mind you) Well, that kind of review among other ones. I just really avoid taking reviews in general to heart due to how it all comes down to the reviewer's subjective thoughts, though that's a given.

Either way, good on Echoes I suppose. Hopefully it's as good as I think it'll be. :p (gameplay wise, that is)

6 hours ago, SuperIb said:

This is so true and what I tend to stick with, especially after seeing games like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorer's of Sky get a freaking 4.9/10 on IGN. (that game was great, mind you) Well, that kind of review among other ones. I just really avoid taking reviews in general to heart due to how it all comes down to the reviewer's subjective thoughts, though that's a given.

Either way, good on Echoes I suppose. Hopefully it's as good as I think it'll be. :p (gameplay wise, that is)

Yeah I only trust reviewers if they have like extensive knowledge of a franchise see SomecallMeJohnny for Sonic & Metroid and GamingBrit for stuff like DMC.

On 04/12/2017 at 8:48 AM, Anacybele said:

I just said in that post you quoted, the game looks meh to me, that's why I expected a lowish score. :/

With how weird Gaiden is, if you're going into it with that kind of mindset, you might as well cancel your preorder if you have one.

You're going to hate it more than Fates.

7 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

With how weird Gaiden is, if you're going into it with that kind of mindset, you might as well cancel your preorder if you have one.

You're going to hate it more than Fates.

Well, good thing I never preordered then. And I don't hate Fates. At least what I played of it (since I didn't do Conquest).

Edited by Anacybele

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I just SAID. Because I think the game looks meh.

And I'm ASKING again on why do YOU think the game looks MEH?

Like what made you think of the game as meh at first glance of it? If you ask me, calling hand drawn cutscenes as meh isn't fair.

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

And I'm ASKING again on why do YOU think the game looks MEH?

Okay, that's all you had to say. You kept asking about my rating, not about why I think it looks meh. But some of the maps shown so far don't look that interesting, I'm not big on what we've seen on the story so far either, and while I'm okay with Alm's design, Celica looks too much like an older Maria to me. Also, there's no pair-up in this game. I love pair-up. Glad there's no children or marriage tho, and the dungeon crawling seems interesting.