Athena's hair color

So! I'm planning on starting a "blue is for lords" color run of SD, where I only use characters with blue hair.

My question is, would Athena count? Her hair is kind of a muted blue, but I had always written it off as black.

I'm also not sure if I want to allow re-classing or not; mostly concerned with having someone (most likely Caeda) be a mage to deal with Gharnef.

Difficulty would be H1 or 2, I'm not decided on that yet. Maybe 3.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

I just did a run like this.  I saw her hair as indigo, and didn't recruit her.  I had a full enough roster from the other characters.  (Just barely.) 

And I never go by Official art, because Gaiden and Ymir were things....   So I went by in game portraits and sprites.

Although, the Run I titled it was, "Milord's Hair is Your Hair."  Where, you can only use units with the same hair color as the Main Lord.  Shadow Dragon is a very simple, yet diverse Fire Emblem game in terms of replayability, so I find it to be the perfect FE game to test Unique playthroughs or challenge runs like this.

As for the difficulty, go for Hard mode 1 or 2.. (Go 2)  Because Some units like Ricard require intense baybying to become up to par with other units.  Midia and Horace were Barely serviceable in my run aside from bases and stat boosters.  I wonder how you can do a run like this in Radiant Dawn?  Do we count Elincia as a lord?

Edited by Lord Tullus

If you're doing H3 and under, Starlight isn't necessary.

As for your question, I'd count Athena as blue-haired, since having female units is nice. . .especially a female unit that uses a not-lance.

Thanks for the replies guys!

6 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Good luck on trying to use Castor though.

Is he bad? I've always always used Gordin in just about every playthrough, so I've never used him (part of the reason I wanted to do this run; other than Barst/Shiida I don't use the blue hairs regularly). I've always been told that he's better than Gordin due to higher attack and the benefit of being a horseman upon promotion.

6 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

I just did a run like this.  I saw her hair as indigo, and didn't recruit her.  I had a full enough roster from the other characters.  (Just barely.) 

As for the difficulty, go for Hard mode 1 or 2.. (Go 2)  Because Some units like Ricard require intense baybying to become up to par with other units.  Midia and Horace were Barely serviceable in my run aside from bases and stat boosters.  I wonder how you can do a run like this in Radiant Dawn?  Do we count Elincia as a lord?

I see indigo as a shade of blue, and I will appreciate a natural swordsman - especially if I decide not to reclass and keep Barst a warrior and not a mercenary.

I did an H5 replacement run without warp, so I'm sure I can make things work ;p

Stuff like this is definitely one of the reasons SD is ultimately my favorite FE :D

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

If you're doing H3 and under, Starlight isn't necessary.

As for your question, I'd count Athena as blue-haired, since having female units is nice. . .especially a female unit that uses a not-lance.

Is that to imply that the knockoff Falchion is good enough or Medius is that much of a pushover on lower difficulties? Just trying to understand, it's been a while since I've played under H3 and for some reason I'm always under the assumption that Tiki/Falchion is needed to smooth things over. I won't be using Tiki, so she's off the table green haired wench

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Is that to imply that the knockoff Falchion is good enough or Medius is that much of a pushover on lower difficulties? Just trying to understand, it's been a while since I've played under H3 and for some reason I'm always under the assumption that Tiki/Falchion is needed to smooth things over. I won't be using Tiki, so she's off the table green haired wench

A bit of Gradivus trading with the Lightsphere is enough to take out Medeus on H2 and below.  It should work on H3 as well, though you will probably need some Parthia help as well (like Barst).  Research Medeus' stats, and plan your team before you start!

And to whoever said Castor would be a pain in the neck to use, boo.  He'll do decently enough, and thanks to save states, you can rig growths on certain characters.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

A bit of Gradivus trading with the Lightsphere is enough to take out Medeus on H2 and below.  It should work on H3 as well, though you will probably need some Parthia help as well (like Barst).  Research Medeus' stats, and plan your team before you start!

And to whoever said Castor would be a pain in the neck to use, boo.  He'll do decently enough, and thanks to save states, you can rig growths on certain characters.

Neat! I don't think I've ever really not traded the goodies for starlight, haha, so I don't think I've ever had the starsphere still available. Never thought of using it to leverage like that.

I prefer not to re-class, so my team is who I get, lol, but I think that I will end up classing Caeda as mage to try her out (and to get a staff user upon promotion before elice). Most of the other characters are likely just flat out better in their base class (and Midia will always have access to the ridersbane)

I'm honestly thinking H2 is the sweetspot for this though.

Neat! I don't think I've ever really not traded the goodies for starlight, haha, so I don't think I've ever had the starsphere still available. Never thought of using it to leverage like that.

I prefer not to re-class, so my team is who I get, lol, but I think that I will end up classing Caeda as mage to try her out (and to get a staff user upon promotion before elice). Most of the other characters are likely just flat out better in their base class (and Midia will always have access to the ridersbane)

I'm honestly thinking H2 is the sweetspot for this though.

Lightsphere will be more valuable, since it negates throne bonuses.

Barst's native class is Fighter, which becomes Warrior.  He has bow access naturally, though working up from E is gonna suck (I suggest getting him to C and using a couple of Arms Scrolls).  Of the characters you have, Castor benefits immensely from reclass - he can hop into Fighter to gain Strength, then go back to Hunter for Speed.  Horace also benefits, because he'd rather be a Horseman than an armored unit.

If you do H2, and you really want to cheese endgame, grab the Geosphere, and use it a couple of times as soon as the map starts.  It'll make everything a lot less crazy.

Lightsphere will be more valuable, since it negates throne bonuses.

Barst's native class is Fighter, which becomes Warrior.  He has bow access naturally, though working up from E is gonna suck (I suggest getting him to C and using a couple of Arms Scrolls).  Of the characters you have, Castor benefits immensely from reclass - he can hop into Fighter to gain Strength, then go back to Hunter for Speed.  Horace also benefits, because he'd rather be a Horseman than an armored unit.

If you do H2, and you really want to cheese endgame, grab the Geosphere, and use it a couple of times as soon as the map starts.  It'll make everything a lot less crazy.

Yeah, the starsphere is kind of busted, lol 

If I choose that route and don't re-class Caeda, she gets the wing spear and that really opens up for shenanagins, lol. I'm trying not to warp or cheese as much as I can in the playthrough, just because I like to try and slog through normally. Even on the H5 replacement run I had a scrub with starlight for Gharnef, lol

Barst has always been very good to me as a warrior, so I'm likely going to keep him as that (especially after seeing the low low str growth on mercenaries... always so spoiled with Oguma). With regards to Horace, he's likely my only unit with real defense, and on the replacement run generals were far and away my most valuable units because they had the two most important stats in the game: HP & DEF. I was imagining Horace would do the same for me here.

Yeah, the starsphere is kind of busted, lol 

If I choose that route and don't re-class Caeda, she gets the wing spear and that really opens up for shenanagins, lol. I'm trying not to warp or cheese as much as I can in the playthrough, just because I like to try and slog through normally. Even on the H5 replacement run I had a scrub with starlight for Gharnef, lol

Barst has always been very good to me as a warrior, so I'm likely going to keep him as that (especially after seeing the low low str growth on mercenaries... always so spoiled with Oguma). With regards to Horace, he's likely my only unit with real defense, and on the replacement run generals were far and away my most valuable units because they had the two most important stats in the game: HP & DEF. I was imagining Horace would do the same for me here.

I draft H2.  IMO it's very possible to get through the game without needing a tank after the initial chapters, and without warpskipping (since warp is banned in drafting).  I think the only late chapter that will give you issues is Chapter 24.  Maybe.  It all depends on Marth's growths, and whether or not you're willing to reclass someone solely to fly to the secret shop.

Horace turns into a decent offensive unit if he reclasses.  He isn't quite on the same level as Draug, but SD is a game where bases really matter.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I draft H2.  IMO it's very possible to get through the game without needing a tank after the initial chapters, and without warpskipping (since warp is banned in drafting).  I think the only late chapter that will give you issues is Chapter 24.  Maybe.  It all depends on Marth's growths, and whether or not you're willing to reclass someone solely to fly to the secret shop.

Horace turns into a decent offensive unit if he reclasses.  He isn't quite on the same level as Draug, but SD is a game where bases really matter.

Is Catria unable to? I'm definitely keeping her as a wyvern knight.

Well, H5 was an animal I needed some shields for Marth for, and even then the generals made the latter third of the run easy (although the final chapter was absolute insanity).

Yeah? I've never actually used any of the new SD characters out of an irrational hatred over them which I have since gotten over, so both Athena and Horace will be new to me. I can just imagine general Horace sitting on a bridge in the sable chapters with a ridersbane and cleaning house as they all charge, lol.

You recommend hunter Horace? As it stands, it's either him or Midia vying for Gradivus. Midia can move with Gradivus at least.

4 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Is Catria unable to? I'm definitely keeping her as a wyvern knight.

Well, H5 was an animal I needed some shields for Marth for, and even then the generals made the latter third of the run easy (although the final chapter was absolute insanity).

Yeah? I've never actually used any of the new SD characters out of an irrational hatred over them which I have since gotten over, so both Athena and Horace will be new to me. I can just imagine general Horace sitting on a bridge in the sable chapters with a ridersbane and cleaning house as they all charge, lol.

You recommend hunter Horace? As it stands, it's either him or Midia vying for Gradivus. Midia can move with Gradivus at least.

Catria's gonna be busy elsewhere (namely, murdering the boss before the reinforcements get out of hand).

You're doing H2, which is significantly less stat-inflate-y than H5.

Horseman Horace will be decent.  Not amazing, but not terrible, either.  Gradivus should go to Catria.  You might be able to pull double Parthia and Gradivus on the boss (Barst/Catria/Castor).  Hardly the best, but you can't be choosy when it comes to themed runs!

For the rest of the regalia, Samson can take Hautclere and Athena gets Mercurius (if you wait for it).

. . .which reminds me, you'll miss Frey.  But doing this on Normal is more-or-less a snoozefest, so. . .

Edited by eclipse

Catria's gonna be busy elsewhere (namely, murdering the boss before the reinforcements get out of hand).

You're doing H2, which is significantly less stat-inflate-y than H5.

Horseman Horace will be decent.  Not amazing, but not terrible, either.  Gradivus should go to Catria.  You might be able to pull double Parthia and Gradivus on the boss (Barst/Catria/Castor).  Hardly the best, but you can't be choosy when it comes to themed runs!

. . .which reminds me, you'll miss Frey.  But doing this on Normal is more-or-less a snoozefest, so. . .

bring on the exp

Yeah, it's been a while since I've done H2, and if I can think of a bad thing to say about having 6 difficulties it's that it's not as clear cut as say BB and BB hard, lol. Easy to forget what's what.

I'll definitely consider it, but I will have horseman Castor in the end. I honestly didn't think of giving Gradivus to Catria, derp, but that's probably the best idea!

... yeah, and though I chose to canonically kill off Frey, I hear he's one of the better units in the game. I can't have too many tools my my disposal, haha.

Two questions:

1 - Why is warp banned in drafts?  Even warping people like 5 tiles away for exp?  Honestly, I can do SD without warp, but even I'll admit I'm not good enough to beat Merciless mode (H5) without warp.  Spoilers: I've only Beaten HM 5 once.

2 - Are you making Midia or some other unit a sniper for Longbow use?  I made Sheeda a Mage, and while she was crap at dealing magic damage early on, she capped speed.  Fast.  I imagine she'll do well as a sniper.

7 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

Two questions:

1 - Why is warp banned in drafts?  Even warping people like 5 tiles away for exp?  Honestly, I can do SD without warp, but even I'll admit I'm not good enough to beat Merciless mode (H5) without warp.  Spoilers: I've only Beaten HM 5 once.

2 - Are you making Midia or some other unit a sniper for Longbow use?  I made Sheeda a Mage, and while she was crap at dealing magic damage early on, she capped speed.  Fast.  I imagine she'll do well as a sniper.

1. Eclipse can give you the right answer for that one, I don't draft. I know I don't like to use it because it pretty much skips the game itself. It's handy dandy for stopping a thief here and there, but I don't like to clear chapters in two turns. That's just personal - I don't know why it isn't in a draft, other than I suppose anyone with a warper has a huge advantage.

2. I was going to keep Midia a paladin simply for ridersbane, which I feel will be more useful. Caeda was my planned mage, I am on Ch 2 now so I haven't had a chance to change her yet. Believe it or not her magic growth as a mage is twice as high as her str growth as a peg knight.

Right now, Barst is easily my best unit, followed closely by Marth.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

1. Eclipse can give you the right answer for that one, I don't draft. I know I don't like to use it because it pretty much skips the game itself. It's handy dandy for stopping a thief here and there, but I don't like to clear chapters in two turns. That's just personal - I don't know why it isn't in a draft, other than I suppose anyone with a warper has a huge advantage.

2. I was going to keep Midia a paladin simply for ridersbane, which I feel will be more useful. Caeda was my planned mage, I am on Ch 2 now so I haven't had a chance to change her yet. Believe it or not her magic growth as a mage is twice as high as her str growth as a peg knight.

Right now, Barth is easily my best unit, followed closely by Marth.

Ok, cool.  I never liked Warpskipping either.  But I felt like I HAD to do it in HM 5.  I kept restarting because the enemies had BS weapons and were quite messy...  Nothing a Max Stats Catria couldn't handle.  Yes, I maxed her stats.  Well, everything except Res and HP

I also reclassed Horace to Hero instead of Horseman.  I feel that he gets the short end of the stick with Horseman.  Plus Castor filled that role for me.  Well, until I made him a general.

I personally consider Athena's hair to be really dark blue, but in-game, she's assigned the brown hair color for her battle sprite, so I don't know what that means for her usability in this particular run.

As for reclassing, especially if you're using such a limited set of characters, I'd totally allow it, personally, to make sure you have decent diversity on your team and/or access to certain classes that don't have any blue-haired members.

Edited by Topaz Light

3 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

Two questions:

1 - It's for the sake of fairness.  Otherwise, whoever drafts Lena can warp Marth to the boss, which defeats the point of a draft, since no other drafted unit can replicate that.

2 - Longbows are a nice extra, but aren't absolutely necessary.  I think Castor/Barst should be enough arrow damage.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

1 - It's for the sake of fairness.  Otherwise, whoever drafts Lena can warp Marth to the boss, which defeats the point of a draft, since no other drafted unit can replicate that.

2 - Longbows are a nice extra, but aren't absolutely necessary.  I think Castor/Barst should be enough arrow damage.

Ok, I get ya.  I don't really like abusing Warp unless the game forces me to.  But I understand.  I don't even know how much a full warp sells for.

Snipers are cool though.  And with a forged longbow, you can do chip damage om Medius without retaliation. Not that it's needed, I know.  But I just like it.

Edited by Lord Tullus

15 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

I personally consider Athena's hair to be really dark blue, but in-game, she's assigned the brown hair color for her battle sprite, so I don't know what that means for her usability in this particular run.

As for reclassing, especially if you're using such a limited set of characters, I'd totally allow it, personally, to make sure you have decent diversity on your team and/or access to certain classes that don't have any blue-haired members.

That's why I asked,  but I consider her blue enough. I'd like to have a good SM, and I would also like more bodies for the port warren rush.

I actually have pretty good diversity in blue, so I think the only one I am going to re-class is Caeda to mage, so I can thump Gharnef.

Marth
Caeda (Mage/Sage)
Barst (Warrior)
Castor (Horseman)
Athena (Swordmaster)
Catria (Wyvern Lord)
Rickard (Thief)
Horace (General)
Midia (Paladin)
Samson (Hero)
Elise (Saint)

Have I missed anyone? (other than Frey but it's H2)