Ys 8 Lacrimosa of DANA: E3 Trailer

Jedi

Those of you who are into the Ys series or the various Falcom games might have heard of this, coming out worldwide for PS4 and PC

You'll not only be playing as Adol, but a party, of shipwrecked folks who are building civilization on an island 

By the archipelagos of the Goethe Sea located in south of Greek, Adol is on a passenger ship called “The Lombardia” that is headed from Xandria to the continent of Eresia. However, the ship is attacked and sunk by a giant creature, and Adol wakes up, he realizes he is on the shores of the cursed island, known as “Seiren Island.”

Ys is an action series, but this one promises to be a bit more plot focused (or so I heard). Ys fans are mixed on this, but with how rad the gameplay is looking I don't think we have to worry 

Ys usually just focuses on establishing a world that Adol has to traverse through, not alot of details, but enough to get invested, its like an old adventure novel or D&D campaign brought into life in proper game form. The series has been long running, alongside The Legend of Heroes, its probably Falcoms flagship franchise.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/579180

Edited by Jedi

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

This looks great, imo, as a fan of the YS series. I still wish it was bump n' hump, but I have really enjoyed the latest installments as well.

Do you know if this is just PS4, or is vita getting the love as well?

The Vita version is getting localized, however be aware that it's gonna be missing some of the extra content from the PS4 version

Just now, Tonton said:

The Vita version is getting localized, however be aware that it's gonna be missing some of the extra content from the PS4 version

I'm perfectly okay with that, seeing as if it wasn't on Vita I wouldn't be playing at all.

Any release dates? Also looking at YS origins when it gets its late port.

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I'm perfectly okay with that, seeing as if it wasn't on Vita I wouldn't be playing at all.

I believe NISA has only said Fall 2017 so far for all versions

If you want some Falcom on your Vita until then, there's Tokyo Xanadu June 30

Edited by Tonton

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

May 25th for PS4 at least. Not sure bout the others. (Thats what I get when I look it up).

Edited by Jedi

5 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Okay, thanks for the info!

You've peaked my interest, now finish the sale

No problem

Think like Persona + Ys or more accurately modern Tokyo Trails of Cold Steel Action RPG, i dunno i haven't played it myself yet

Just now, Tonton said:

No problem

Think like Persona + Ys or more accurately modern Tokyo Trails of Cold Steel Action RPG, i dunno i haven't played it myself yet

I've honestly never played persona or Trails of Cold Steel although I have considered Trails, just haven't been convinced quite yet, but I thirst for Vita games. About to start Exist Archive, I can always use a good jrpg.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I've honestly never played persona or Trails of Cold Steel although I have considered Trails, just haven't been convinced quite yet, but I thirst for Vita games. About to start Exist Archive, I can always use a good jrpg.

Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel will not disappoint those looking for really good JRPGs.

Just now, Jedi said:

Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel will not disappoint those looking for really good JRPGs.

That's what I've heard - I was hoping you'd chime in to convince me, haha.

I think what's holding me back on those is that I've never played any Trails game, and I've heard that it builds on the universe that's already established. I'd be going in blind essentially, and I don't know how much the game is going to ask me to understand about the world right out of the gate, or if it even matters.

13 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I think what's holding me back on those is that I've never played any Trails game, and I've heard that it builds on the universe that's already established. I'd be going in blind essentially, and I don't know how much the game is going to ask me to understand about the world right out of the gate, or if it even matters.

Trails in the Sky FC starts you off nicely with said world, it then dives into SC (Second Chapter) then theres basically a Gaiden game in 3rd finally getting localized shortly next month that expands on it and things that might happen in other games. These 3 are in the small kingdom of Liberl 

Sadly we lack 2 of the games for a total understanding of the plot, AO and Zero (An Arc in a different country). But you don't need this or Cold Steel to understand whats going on in Sky because Sky happens before both of these.

Cold Steel is in yet a different country, Erebonia, and it happens somewhat at the same time as AO and Zero, but theres only so much overlap, so CS can kind of stand on its own, however there are a number of references to stuff that happened in Liberl be it characters or events, so it might be wise to just start with Sky. 

So all and all, Starting with Trails In the Sky First Chapter is your best bet. Which is available on steam and can be run on a potato.

Edited by Jedi

9 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Trails in the Sky FC starts you off nicely with said world, it then dives into SC (Second Chapter) then theres basically a Gaiden game in 3rd finally getting localized shortly next month that expands on it and things that might happen in other games. These 3 are in the small kingdom of Liberl 

Sadly we lack 2 of the games for a total understanding of the plot, AO and Zero (An Arc in a different country). But you don't need this or Cold Steel to understand whats going on in Sky because Sky happens before both of these.

Cold Steel is in yet a different country, Erebonia, and it happens somewhat at the same time as AO and Zero, but theres only so much overlap, so CS can kind of stand on its own, however there are a number of references to stuff that happened in Liberl be it characters or events, so it might be wise to just start with Sky. 

So all and all, Starting with Trails In the Sky First Chapter is your best bet. Which is available on steam and can be run on a potato.

Thank you for the explanation! That definitely does help out a ton! At least I know where to start now lol

Man though, the list of games to play just keeps getting longer and longer... they can stop making stuff now o.o

4 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Thank you for the explanation! That definitely does help out a ton! At least I know where to start now lol

Man though, the list of games to play just keeps getting longer and longer... they can stop making stuff now o.o

NP, I probably could have explained it a little better, but I'm glad I managed it. I only got into the games like 2 christmases ago when someone gifted me Sky FC, and well it started a long chain of events that got me into Ys as well lmao.

Just now, Jedi said:

NP, I probably could have explained it a little better, but I'm glad I managed it. I only got into the games like 2 christmases ago when someone gifted me Sky FC, and well it started a long chain of events that got me into Ys as well lmao.

I got in to YS with the DS port that I bought on a whim, and it was the start of an intense love affair. YS is a favorite of mine thanks to the world and music. Books I&II will probably always be my babies, but I also loved Oath in Felghana. The rest of them are all really good as well, but 1-3 are my absolute favorites.

16 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Is the DS version of 1+2 different? I've been wondering this for awhile actually.

It kind of is, and I feel as though it's definitely inferior to the psp version that was released of books 1+2. DS had the bump n' hump but only if you used the stylus, otherwise the gameplay was the same but you had to actually hit the attack button to attack if you used traditional controls. It's still great, though!

1 hour ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Trails in the Sky FC is where to start, followed by SC.  This will establish the world for you.  They also tie into the later games (Cold Steel and the like).

The story is great, the characters are excellent, and the combat system is fun.  The animations and whatnot got flashier as the series went along - I personally preferred the simplicity of FC/SC, but I'm a little weird.  The music is really good, no matter which game you play.  There's a reason why a certain silver-haired sword guy is a favorite of mine. . .

EDIT: Right, this game.  Let's see how platform-y it is.  I'm notorious for getting lost!  I've played a bit of Ys Origins - I like it well enough, but don't have the time to power through everything.

Edited by eclipse

Trails in the Sky really needs to be played on PC. The third game (aptly, the 3rd) is completely exclusive to it, but even if it wasn't, it's just so much better. The translation is much much more consistent with later games (the PSP version of FC being particularly bad about this), the portraits are much better looking, and there are even a few gameplay improvements like the ability to skip S-Crafts. The upside is that the games run perfectly on basically any PC made after 2000, are available through DRM-free sources, and were designed around PC in the first place (it's the original version).

Cold Steel can be played on whatever though. The PC version is probably going to be better, but it isn't out yet, and the games were originally designed around Vita and PS3 anyway so there's no real harm in doing those versions.

To be honest, not a fan the idea of Dana's alternate forms. I don't know why. I haven't been keeping up with the news for this game, but is it confirmed to explain why Dana has alternate forms in the first place?

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

There's a reason why a certain silver-haired sword guy is a favorite of mine. . .

Might be wrong on this cause I know too many silver-haired sword guys, but by any chance is it Leonhardt?

2 minutes ago, Falcom said:

Might be wrong on this cause I know too many silver-haired sword guys, but by any chance is it Leonhardt?

How many other good-looking silver-haired swordguys have their own amazing theme?

During a run of FC, I hit a certain scene, and left the game there, just so I could listen to that theme.  Even though FC didn't have the best instrumentation, the music was still amazing.

9 minutes ago, Falcom said:

To be honest, not a fan the idea of Dana's alternate forms. I don't know why. I haven't been keeping up with the news for this game, but is it confirmed to explain why Dana has alternate forms in the first place?

In the PlayStation 4 version of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Dana, who is playable in the Dana chapters of the game, can switch between three styles—“Iclucian,” “Gratica,” and “Luminous”—to enjoy a variety of actions.

Additionally, PlayStation 4-original dungeons with various gimmicks will appear in the Dana chapters. Players will use the unique abilities of each style to break through those gimmicks and clear the dungeon.

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/ys-viii-ps4-details-dana-style-change-system 

Its new to the PS4/PC versions of the game, so i'm not sure if they are explaining it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/03/ys-viiis-new-style-change-system-dana-one-biggest-additions-ps4-version/

Edited by Jedi

30 minutes ago, eclipse said:

How many other good-looking silver-haired swordguys have their own amazing theme?

During a run of FC, I hit a certain scene, and left the game there, just so I could listen to that theme.  Even though FC didn't have the best instrumentation, the music was still amazing.

None that I can think of. I almost wanna say a certain silver-haired former student of class VII. But he doesn't wield a sword so oh well.

FC had some pretty awesome music. It's a shame that I think half of them were butchered in the evolution version (at least Silver Will is still as awesome as ever in that version).

@Jedi Huh. Well I suppose it's fine if they don't explain. My initial impressions about this concept still remain the same. Let's hope that it's fun to try.