Nintendo is discountinuing the NES Classic Edition in North America

King Marth 64

I just saw GameXplain just explained the NES Classic Edition is going to be discontinuing in North America and did posted a source from IGN and GO Nintendo. I haven't those NES Classic Edition systems in the stores that I went to and they were sold out really fast during in December, but I wasn't entirely too sure if they are holding off for a Super NES Classic Edition or they might need to produce more Switch consoles in their factory since those Nintendo Switch consoles were sold out really too fast and they did stop taking pre-orders before January 18th at GameStop and other game stores back then also. I didn't get a chance to get one of the NES Classic Edition nor the Nintendo Switch consoles back then, but I think that they probably just discontinuing those NES Classic Edition consoles way too early.

Edited by King Marth 64

You mean they haven't been discontinued since December?

Nintendo NY is about half an hour away from where I work, and every other week they distribute wristbands for customers to buy the NES Classic. Of course, by the time I see the tweet announcing they're giving away wristbands, they sell out. I guess there's no chance of ever getting one at a reasonable price now.

I've never seen a company throw away money as easily as Nintendo does.  What were they thinking, discontinuing a highly sought product?

10 hours ago, Refa said:

I've never seen a company throw away money as easily as Nintendo does.  What were they thinking, discontinuing a highly sought product?

I do wonder how their inept marketing team continues to have work sometimes.

they're probably discontinuing it to give focus on the switch and would rather people buy VC games in the long term rather than focus on the NES classic.  They did say it will be a limited time offer thing.

I read a post somewhere by a game dev (sorry I don't have a link on hand) that such a sudden discontinuance of sales for such a popular product is likely due to legal reasons. There are many games licensed from other publishers on the NES Classic, issues with one other copyright holder could cause the whole unit to have to be stopped (in its current form, at least).

What other business reason would Nintendo have for stopping production of a product which keeps selling out fast and for which demand greatly outweighs supply? Why would they give up so much in potential sales and revenue?

It's got to be something serious. There's probably more at play here than just what looks to be a very poor decision from an outside perspective.

Edited by XaosLogos

I heard about this. Apparently this was a pirate box and Nintendo was highly displeased with the fact people could upload a bunch of ROMs to the thing. I dunno but its really dumb cuz i kinda wanted one for my niece and now its not an option.

On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 2:27 PM, XaosLogos said:

What other business reason would Nintendo have for stopping production of a product which keeps selling out fast and for which demand greatly outweighs supply? Why would they give up so much in potential sales and revenue?

It's got to be something serious. There's probably more at play here than just what looks to be a very poor decision from an outside perspective.

Normally I would agree, if Nintendo didn't have a history for these types of decisions.

Edited by Tryhard