Super Robot Wars ∀: Deep Space IC Thread - Part 2: Of Dire Tides

Xinnidy

Elaine felt cornered. No matter what she had said, no one seemed to be agreeing with her. They were either passive, or actively suggesting to go down to Earth, in Astin's case. And it wasn't like their logic wasn't sound; it was the base of the ANF, for god's sake. But still, it was a home to her. It had been a home for so many years of her life, and if it wasn't for the kind people she met on that colony, she would have never been able to make a living there.

Elaine took a deep breath. They had to go there. They had to save it, otherwise...She would lose so much. For a moment, she stayed silent, thinking, before finally speaking up. "If...I can say something else." She straightened herself, and turned to face the captain and the XO, though she spoke to everyone. "I know that place better than anyone. I know it like the back of my hand. And I know for a fact that if we let it in the hands of those Apotheosis bastards...then the rest of the world is just gonna fall all of faster." Elaine paused. She had her past with the Colony. And it was time to use it to her advantage. "Colony 2 is home to several experimental mobile suits. And plenty of them powerful enough to take down full squads of mechs. I know 'cause...I experienced it myself." Another deep breath. "...I piloted one. And with it, I took down three terrorists back in August of 249. So believe me when I say that the suits they make can destroy cities and bases in a matter of minutes." And she didn't need to say what that would imply for the rest of the world, and all the other colonies, if Apotheosis got their hands on it. She remembered well how easily the robot she was given took down the three unkwowns, and how easily those three ravaged the colony. They couldn't let anyone else get their hands on that kind of power, and that was reason enough, right? It had to be. Otherwise, she would be forced to abandon the place she had called home, and Elaine couldn't do that.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So there is personal desire in your plea. Good that you admit it at least." Astin sighed as they brushed the loose strand of hair out of their face again. "Every location has something that will boost Apotheosis's power. Earth has labs just like Colony 2. Presumably those on Colony 2 have safeguards in place to protect or destroy the mechs if it comes to that. Again, you need to weigh this against the bigger picture. If Apotheosis was able to completely wipe out our Eastern Coast force, I think it's likely they already have highly advanced mechs. Look at the one we just fought against. She could have destroyed us with ease. Or do you not remember the scan of her stats? Or how powerless you were against her even with your strongest weapon?"

Astin winced as they realized they had gotten sucked back into an argument. "Sorry XO. I know you told us to stop, but I think that we need to be rational about this. Earth is the most important target that's being threatened right now. By numbers, by military importance, however. It's... uhm... We can reach there in time to make a difference. We're a small mobile force that can potentially make a significant difference. We need to try and save the core of the ANF. We have to."

Incoming Message

"W-Working with gravity, e-easier, than... A-Against..." Jess added on, shakily, to Tarquin's explanation of why their descent would be so quick. She was trying to process everything, very slowly managing to do so, but it would still take her a moment to have her head on straight past mumbled responses. Tristan was the only worthwhile voice left to speak on the bridge, then, the rest of the hands either too busy monitoring their sensors now that everything was back on, or too meek to speak up once the argument got heated. He knew where he wished to go, but it wasn't his decision. An ensign was below almost everyone present, perhaps save for the sergeants.

"Captain, incoming message from Captain Miller!" One of the other bridge hands chirped up, looking over at Jess, who turned her worried head to her screen. A small press of it, and Captain Miller's face came on screen, haggard and just as upset as everyone else present.

"C-Captain Miller--"

"Are you in your pajamas, Gefalscht!? What are you doing!? No, just... N-Never mind that! This is... It's stressful for everyone, I... I apologize." His attitude was struggling to hold back criticism, but he couldn't entirely blame the girl; the ANF's youngest captain charged with facing a worldwide terrorist attack-- who would be working with perfect clarity in that situation? He cleared his throat, as Jess gulped, hoping more shouting wasn't about to follow.

"I am taking my ship and my crew, and heading for Colony Five. We're much closer than the Riese, and long distance scanners seem to present only a small fleet engaged with the attack. We'll be contacting the navy, and getting anyone else in range to come with us. I figured since you just finished helping one, you'd be pleased to know the fate of another... We'll do our best. Get yourself sorted out, and see to it that you get moving! As green as you are, you're in the ANF's strongest piece of power. It needs to act. Captain Miller, over and out."

Jess couldn't manage a word in edgewise, before Captain Miller's message cut out... But it had been a nice shove against her anxiety. One less weight on her mind. That just left a decision between Colony Two or going back to Earth... Everyone present seemed to have an opinion, except for Thorvald. She turned in her seat some, looking up at him.

"Wh-Where do you think we should go...?"

Edited by Nanami Touko

Juria watched nervously as orders for her didn't seem to be coming any time soon, what with more information pouring in from several sources. All of it was very dire as she clung onto Reo in her arms to try and calm herself down. "Juria not have personal thoughts on either place we can go towards... will do her best to be most helpfulest at Earth or Second Colony." She wondered if Astin would be disappointed that she didn't outright agree with them as their co-pilot, but it seemed less important than saying how she felt, and Thorvald would probably make a more coherent and level-headed decision than her. Jess Captain not ask me anyway...

Tarquin had quickly fired off a few scientific remarks as means of explanation for the relative difference in travel times, a stark reminder that despite his age the young lad was exceptionally sharp.  His take on the matter certainly seemed convincing enough at any rate, and Thorvald found himself nodding along. Elaine and Astin made a final pass at each other, trying to get in some final words to shore up their sides of the argument. Thorvald wasn't sure it was entirely fair of Astin to bring up matters of personal desire as an attack, because in all reality, Elaine was far from the only one with a strong tie one way or the other, and it wasn't like it was the sole source of her support. Still, interjecting on that point would just be belaboring the issue, and there was no time for that, nor for addressing the fallacy she'd previously raised about the EU stepping in to finish the job if the ground forces somehow managed to hold their ground. Apotheosis hadn't declared war solely on the ANF, after all, surely the other side was struggling with their own sets of challenges right now.

Captain Miller radioed in, taking Colony 5 out of the mix, which left just the two main choices they'd been discussing, and Jess was clearly looking for input. Sighing, Thorvald cast his chips with one of the choices, feeling more than a little like he was betraying the other.

"All other things being equal, which of course is up for debate, but at least as far as we can gauge right now the differences are not glaring or obvious. With nothing else to tip the scales, I have to confess I'd much prefer we return to Earth. I'll fully acknowledge my conflict of interests: my wife and daughter are down there, and I'm especially anxious to do what I can to keep them safe. But not only that, I'm more confident in my ability to fight in the sort of environments we'd be facing down there, whereas a few times I felt like I was held back trying to keep up with the zero g situations up here. Not necessarily the sort of things one should hinge an important strategic decision on, but absent a more compelling case otherwise, I can't see myself coming down on the other side of the fence on this one."

Thorvald nervously scratched the back of his neck as he brought his contribution to a close. It somehow didn't feel right, but it certainly wouldn't have felt right to lie to himself and his instincts to claim otherwise, and say that he personally would prefer to stay in space. It's not like he had the final power of decision, anyway, that was still in Jess's hands.

Decision

"...Alright." Roxanna was tapping on her tablet, keeping her own impatience in check. While she had her own two cents she could give, the option was the Captain's first and foremost. In a situation like that, the breach of command would be too glaring if she took the reins, probably! "If we were to nitpick, we all could find personal reasons to choose a destination over the other... well, most of us." She wasn't sure, but Tarquin was likely taught to be as calculating as possible. He kind of sounded that way. Maybe the people that raised him were on Earth?

"It's good to remember we're not the only significant force in the ANF, I'm sure other fleets are answering the request from help as well." She added, figuring the bickering could very well continue another round. "So we've got to decide which is our highest priority." Considering their very base was on Earth, and that the central army forces were at stake were very high arguments for Earth. "So, Captain," Roxanna turned to the pipsqueak in pajamas, resting a hand on the side of her hips. "Where should we go?"

Final Destination

While Thorvald's interests were as personal as Elaine's, Jessica wasn't counting personal feelings. She wanted to know what people wanted, no matter their reasons. The Riese would be useful no matter where it went, and if back on Earth was where it was wanted, that's where it would be. "W-We're going to Earth, then... N-Navig, gations, set a c-course for, Sssserpent Eye, b-base, in Iowa..." Jess' voice was a wreck, but she forced it to work out of her throat. She wasn't going to be getting better any time soon, but she had to do what she could, and remain Captain! Even Roxanna was putting her faith in her, despite their interactions so far.

"R-Raaa... Radio! Radio... Admiral, M-Martinson. Even if it's... C-Caught. They're g-going to see us re-entering, a-anyway. He... H-Has to know the R-Riese is on its way." She wasn't up for that, so a timid stare made its way over to Ensign Calvin. He saluted, almost looking pleased.

The Captain's trying... After all of her mistakes. This is no time for insubordination. As long as she keeps commanding, we'll be fine. That was all he wanted, truly. Even if her voice was cracking more than radio static, as long as proper orders came out in the end, he'd listen. Hopefully the XO would be just as inclined.

"This is Ensign Tristan Calvin, radioing into ANF HQ. The Heion Riese is departing from Colony One, and making direct descent towards Earth. From our current position, adjusting for orbit, we predict landing at Serpent Eye base, E.T.A. thirty five minutes. I repeat..." He pressed the console, his message being put on repeat until it was answered or failed to make contact post breaching the atmosphere. They'd have to try and make contact with Serpent Eye as well. The Riese didn't need repairs, but considering how close the base was to the encroaching Apotheosis engagement, battle seemed imminent...

Destroyer

With a rush in her step and a fervor to get this job done, worried or not, Avery led the three to her small, backspace door. With another retinal scan and a quick password input, the small hatch opened up into a much, much bigger hangar, with the prize placed right in the center.

"Feel free to marvel, Brant, Blondie! This thing 'ere's the Velite Mark three... Supposed t'go into mass production soon, but... Gonna have t'put a stopper on that one. Two reasons: currently bein' invaded by the most well organized terrorist group I ever seen, and... Th' T-Link likes t'make brain soup outta the pilots. It's too damn strong. But... Well, that's what you two're here for. And Blondie, I guess..."

Avery headed on in and got to work starting it up, not wasting any time, and doing her best to not collapse in her tired state. There was a half filled cold cup of coffee from the previous night still next to her station, and as awful as the taste was, she downed it with a small cough, wanting the caffeine more than anything.

"Kim sat herself in it th' last time I got t'try it out, gave herself a real serious nose bleed, but other'n that, her brain waves lined up pretty well with the machine, and there wasn't no feedback'r nothin'. Pro'lem is that, that's in a controlled environment. I ain't got no clue how this thing's gonna react if the robot takes a shot, but all th' tests make it look real grim."

She pointed a finger at Brant, other hand clacking away at a few keys. "Iffin you weren't a main pilot, we could stuff you inta the back and make sure that th'whole system's regulated, an' nothin' goes wrong. Fact o' the matter is, you ain't. Yer frontline, an' we can't sacrifice any pilots like that fer a mess this big. So, you." Her finger slid towards Christina, another small huff following her talk.

"Y'all gonna get in that robot, sit next t'Kim, an' make sure she ain't gonna flat-line if shit goes poorly. You got that?" If yer fuckin' claim even works. Can work a T-Link but ye ain't a TK... I ain't never heard o' somethin' so goddamn foolish. "Get yer ass in there first, I gotta make sure you're not shittin' me."

"B-But..." Cold feet came at the worst of times. Christina paled at the sight of the robot, as the cockpit opened. "L-Live fire... I, I can't... So soon, I..."

Avery stared at her with a real serious 'are you fucking kidding me' gaze. She didn't feel like she had to say anything once Christina caught glance of it, looking away without pause.

"I-I know what I said! That, I-I wanted to help... But... I don't know if I c-can do that... I thought you just needed calibrations! Going out there... I..."

And to the familiar secret hangar they went, this time with more than just Avery and herself, but with Christina and Brant in tow as well. Though Christina's looming sense of dread was plain to feel throughout their short walk, growing stronger still as Avery fully explained the plan. When her justification came out, well, Seung-Min couldn't blame the girl, really. Placing a supportive hand on her shoulder again, Kim gave her a gentle squeeze.

"Is okay, Christina. You help Avery try get link fully calibrate here while travel. If can't do, can sortie in Mk.II. If desperate need more power, return to ship. All fine long as don't get hit, right?" Kim replied solemnly, releasing her grip on Christina as she looked up at the MK.III.

The ship had more space set aside for mobile suits than Brant first realized. The MK.III itself was more impressive than any of the other mobile suits the ANF had. Of course, it looked like it could get some very good air time in the atmosphere, which definitely made it more favorable in the pilot's eyes. Despite it's appearance, Brant was thankful Christina was here, or Avery's problem wouldn't be any closer to being solved. Not that Brant wouldn't copilot if ordered by a superior officer, but in his Accensus Brant would be a greater contribution to an engagement overall.

Christina wasn't holding up too well with the prospect of going back into battle, naturally. Kim's method of reassuring her almost made Brant chuckle, his rehashing memories of the TK being treated in the infirmary. Not getting hit was easier said than done. Hopefully the MK.III was more mobile than the MK.II. It certainly looked the part.

"No! Not as long as you don't get hit!" Christina gave Kim a lovely little glare of her own, pointing at her arm. "The last time you got hit, you almost lost that... You don't get to tell me you'll be just fine and that nothing will go wrong. These aren't hired guns! They're killers..." And they won't give you a chance to recover, if they get the edge on you.

With a shiver, clutching herself, Christina started to walk towards the machine. "I-I'll test it. I can do that much right now, right?" That was music to Avery's ears, at least.

"Take the lift'n sit down, alright? Ain't gonna make you go out in the fight iffin y'ain't ready for it. Now..." Avery went about sighing and setting up the T-Link, the Velite lighting up, a red blink on its mono eye. Christina's journey up the lift only lasted a few seconds, leaving her staring at the open cockpit of the monster.

"Just... G-Go inside, Chrissy..." Trying to talk herself through it, she took some timid steps into the robot, sitting herself down, and letting the T-Link settle itself around her head. "What a nice feeling," she mumbled, as she closed her eyes and tried to relax.

Avery's sensors immediately lit up, causing her an intense bout of confusion. "What... The... I-It's connectin' t'her. I... I ain't no researcher, but... That ain't, s'posed t'happen."

What was more strange, for the two TKs in the room, was the sudden wash of something washing over them, like a strangely melancholic feeling hitting them... Before everything went quiet. Everything they could feel, that was. Avery and Christina's minds would've been impossible to read for them, if they tried. All the while, Christina looked far more relaxed than she had, moments ago.

Ahhh ... sweet silence.

... no that was definitely wrong, Brant belatedly realized. He looked to Kim and then Avery, wondering what had just happened. "When you said it was too strong ..."

"If that or die, or Apotheosis take over, what choice have?" Seung-Min replied, before cracking a small smile at Christina's renewed resolve. If push came to shove, this was what a soldier's life was, but it looked like that had been enough to push Christina over the threshold, climbing into the cockpit, and getting a surprised reaction from Avery as it began to register, an oddly pensive feeling sweeping over her from the machine...

And then everything went quiet. Kim blinked for a few moments, the deafening, foreign silence in her head confusing her. She knew there had been a time when her TK abilities had been too weak to have any function, but she had been too young to remember. It felt... strange. Thinking back, Kim could recall what happened the first time she sat in the MK.III... the T-Link had been so strong that she could hear thoughts themselves, not just emotions... had another TK been close by at that time, would they have been blocked out as well?

'Christina, if you can hear this, say something.' Kim thought to herself, wondering if that had been an experience unique to her... perhaps not, Brant might have experienced the same phenomenon, even if Christina wouldn't...

"Huh? Strong? Things're comin' in fine on my end. I'm jus' surprised, is all. This... Shouldn't be workin'. Like, at all. Ever. T-Link's ain't s'posed to resonate with--"

"I-I understand your confusion... A-All of your confusions, but..." Christina poked her head out of the cockpit, staring down at them, a half smile at Kim. "I can, Kim... And... S-Sorry, for not warning either of you beforehand."

Avery was even more confused now, looking at everyone. "What's goin' on? Confused? Isn't that just me? What're y'all..."

"I never had many friends at the TCI," Christina started, shaking her head some. "And this is why... All the actual TK kids, they were too afraid to be near me whenever I was strapped in. I... My mind, quiets other TKs. Disables them, for whatever reason. But... I can use the system just find, while it's happening. I'm sure if we had another console hooked in here, Kim would still be able to use her own. But... As long as you're all out there, and I'm in here... It'll be quiet." She wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not, but that's all she knew about it.

"Well that's... That's just crazy! That... How the hell... Brant, Kim, she ain't lyin'? Y'all can't... Feel anything, right now?"

Well that explained it, though exact mechanics just seemed too ludicrous to even speculate on at the moment. That didn't stop Brant's mind from wandering during the explanation. Oh how he wished he had a device or something similar he could turn on whenever there were too many people around, or too many unstable ones like Firmia nearby ...

"I don't sense anything anymore," Brant half smiled and shrugged. "We should definitely bring her along if we run into any enemy TKs. I'm sure Apotheosis has a few." Of course, Christina had some hurdles to jump over before she would be ready for something that dangerous. For now, though, there was this calibration issue.

That was quite the odd story. Did it have to do with the fact that Christina was accessing the T-Link despite not being a natural TK? It was certainly a possibility... even if Avery had not gotten any signal, Christina's reply more than verified it was working, at the very least.

"Can confirm, hear nothing, feel nothing. Remember what tell you about thoughts at first test, Avery? Christina reply to my thought directly. Definite linked in... do you know range on TK jam? Will effect Brant on battlefield? Need work around if so, and Brant has point, could be useful."

"That... Listen, I ain't wrappin' my head 'round this right now... Kim, get yerself up there, an' take this with you. Plug it into th' console. Iffin what she's sayin' is right, y'all should be able to work this even with this... Jamming, goin' on." Avery handed Kim another T-Link connector, letting her on her way. It would have to be properly installed, but that would only take a few moments time after all of this.

"As fer range, I don't got a damn clue... If it's gonna effect Brant, best guess is to just steer clear of each other on the battlefield as best as ye can. Not gonna get absolute numbers without testin'. So, Brant, uh... Ain't got nothin' t'say other'n keep yourself aware. You get hit with this while y'got yer funnels out, they're gonna drop, an' you might next. It's mighty dangerous... If I can get calibrations down properly, I can only guess, but I might..."

She stopped talking an' started messing with her console again, sending a signal to Christina's rig just to make sure. Getting a ping back in response, with another flabbergasted scoff, she put a hand on her head and sighed. "Iffin I monitor things durin' the fight, an' Christina's responsive, then... Well, I can make on the fly adjustments. Keep it in a controlled area. Would say that it's best not t'get near it, anyway."

Christina couldn't exactly make out the conversation going on between Avery and Brant, but she did catch Kim coming over with another console, meaning they were going to try her theory... Right? "Oh boy..."

Taking the connector from Avery, Seung-Min took the elevator up to the Mk.III's cockpit, entering next to Christina as she began to connect herself into the T-Link.

"Christina, do you know range on jam? How much distance give Brant on field, if connected? Can use against opposing TK by closing range?" She asked, as it seems Christina hadn't heard her question from the floor. As she waited for the response, she plugged herself into the T-Link, and connected in. Now to see whether her senses would return...

"Don't worry about me," Brant waved a hand, "I've flown without a T-Link plenty of times. It'd be sad to lose the funnels in the middle of a firefight, but I could still scoop them up during a later pass if they're not too damaged. It shouldn't be a problem."

It would be better to simply solve the jamming problem for allied TKs and not force themselves into specific formations. "Avery, what's the setup like in the cockpit? If Kim's going to be fine in there, TK abilities and all, is there a way to duplicate those conditions for my Accensus, or is it a proximity issue?"

"Hi, Kim... R-Range? No, I... I really don't know anything else about this. It just started happening, gradually, and with more intensity... After every new test. I wonder what kind of mess my brain is, right now, to be doing something like this. We could probably use it against enemy pilots... But, it would also effect Brant. Is that okay?" While Christina posed all of her worries, plugging into the same system as the blonde gave Kim all of her sensations back, including the intense, magnified worry, coming from the person sitting right next to her.

"S'not somethin' t'wave off like that... But, if you say so... As fer that... Gonna be real with you, Brant, all this brain shit, it's flyin' over my head. I got no clue how her power works... All I can suggest, is... It's, like, because they're sharin' the same system, plugged directly into it, it ain't interferin' with Kim, otherwise Blondie would jus' be interferin' with herself. That's all I can make of it... Iffin ye wanted similar we'd have t'go with a remote link up from their machine t'yers, but... That'd mean stayin' in hella close proximity, insteada keepin' away. Iunno which'd be harder fer ya."

Maybe sticking close by would help Christina keep calm. Worst case scenario, Brant would have to dock his funnels if he wanted to engage a target far out of range. That didn't seem as likely or as inconvenient as having to keep a constant distance from the MK.III. "I guess it depends on the range," Brant said, glancing up at the mobile suit in question, "if I've got at least a little legroom, being linked that way wouldn't be so bad." He smiled as a silly thought occurred. "If the MK.III's wearing my Accensus like a backpack because I can't go any farther out than that, then maybe not ..."

"Suppose that question up to Brant." Seung-Min replied, a familiar feeling washing over her as she plugged into the T-Link, and felt has abilities come back to normal... and beyond. The T-Link in this machine was still over the top, to say the least. Reaching to the comms and tuning them to Avery's console, she began to relay what she had found.

"Confirm, when plug in directly, abilities uneffected, as if Christina not here. She not know range of jam, never properly test. You one effected by this most, Brant. What think?"

"Ain't got no way to test that but in battle. Sucks, but... We ain't got the time." A back pack, though... That gave Avery an idea, for another day. "Go without this time, an' see how it works. I can make sure it ain't that wide, but we'll have t'see."

All these talks were going on like this was just something decided, as Christina shrunk back into the cockpit some more, trying not to voice her worries. I can't do this... I'm just going to be a quivering mess. I'll make Kim worry about me, a-and get her in trouble. Get us both in trouble. Get us... Both killed... She put her hands in her face and tried to hide from it all.

"We don't have time to do anything about that, right now," Brant noted, "so we just won't worry about it. If you can handle the MK.III, go ahead and launch in it. I'll mind my distance."

With her Telekinetics no longer jammed, Christina's worries were plain to feel, the girl emanating a lack of confidence, fear... it gave Kim pause, taking a moment to turn around and give Christina an assuring hug, gently patting the girl's back, and flipping the comms off for a moment.

"Relax, Christina. Everything be okay. Leave pilot to me, all need do is keep T-Link stable... I take care of rest, okay?" Seung-Min noted, rubbing her hand across the middle of Christina's back in hopes to comfort her.

"Trust you. If... really can't do it, that okay. I manage... will do all I can keep us all safe."

"Alright... It's on me if somethin' goes wrong, so just, tryin' keep yer distance as best as ye can. I'm gettin' Kim's signal now, so... Hol' on, Blondie's is goin' a bit wonky. Nothin' dangerous... Prolly her worryin' about doin' this. Was her capture that bad?"

"I c-can't... I can't, relax... You're a-all expecting me t-to be able to do this... What, wh-what if I mmmmmess up, what if m-my emotions flare, and r-ruin your control... It's, I-I... Uuuu..." She didn't want Brant or Avery to catch wind of her crying, burying her face into her hands as Kim tried her best to calm her.

"Why do y-you, care... We're... S-Strangers..."

"Is okay, Chrissy. You don't have do if not ready, Will manage, somehow... if have use Mk.II, will use Mk.II. You pilot before, and not even need worry controls, this time. Think you can do, but is your call." Kim replied, rubbing Christina's back and shoulders to try and soothe the worried girl.

"Not stranger. Friend. You know better anyone, TK can tell right away what kind person you are. Unless Chrissy don't consider friend?"

Chrissy, was it... A cute little nickname. It felt cliché, but no one had bothered to treat her so well. Despite being effectively a prisoner of war, she was given free reign on the boat, to walk around as she saw fit. These people didn't see her as an enemy, there was no way her anxiety was going to lie to her when she could literally feel how Kim was, right now. It's warm...

"Friend is a pretty word," she coughed out, still shivering a bit. "My mind knows I-I can trust you... But I still d-don't want to. We can a-act close, and be friendly... But we've, o-only known each other for a day. How... How can you put your l-life in my hands? How can you know I'll do this..." I've always been avoided. School, the facility, the adults... My family. Even military life cast me away, that was a pretty funny joke. This level of trust, I can't understand it...

"Because even if not know each other long, saw you at worst, just capture, prisoner enemy ship... never once feel try to think way escape, feel try hurt anyone. In darkest hour still friendly, not thinking any bad. People say see someone at worst, you see all." Kim replied, struggling a bit with her words. Thinking back on her first time in this machine, those errant thoughts that she couldn't place... they fit perfectly with Christina.

"This machine T-Link overtune, let hear thoughts. Did first test right after capture. Not sure at time, but make sense think back on. Family thought you worthless, not fight for ANF, not follow father legacy... heard those thoughts in head. Yours, aren't they?" Kim added, looking Christina dead in the eye, giving her shoulder a light squeeze.

"You let past control future. See inside your mind, feelings, thoughts... see all I need. Time just let people see below surface, I get see to core from first moment. Can do this because know can trust you. Because believe in you, Chrissy."

The speech about just being caught, she didn't pay attention to. Sure, she'd been at her worst, in a sense. But that wasn't the worst of her. That was still something she'd never tell anyone. All these thoughts of how her life had painted her as worthless that--

"Wh-What?" S-Stop it! You... Y-You don't, get to just... Christina shoved Kim back, curling back into the seat, staring at her. "Th-That's not fair!" She grabbed herself, shuddering some, hugging herself tight. "Y-You... You just... Even if it was on accident... That's not fair. No one... Those memories, a-all of that... Those weren't meant, f-for anyone..."

She didn't know how to take this. Kim had known her for a day, they got along pretty well, but... Seeing, hearing all of that, that was... "That's too much... I don't... I don't, know what to say..."

Kim held back for a moment as she was shoved, allowing Christina to voice her thoughts.

"Am sorry, Chrissy. Did not mean hear... can't do much about, now." Kim replied, slowly shaking her head.

"Not feel any less of you for. No reason feel ashame... family want path for you, did not choose. No wrong not want that... many times in past, wanted say no to parent, say no director, producer... never did. Only reason because of TK. Get accustom feelings in head, do what can to appease feelings. Had done what wanted, surely be in similar situation you are. Got lucky, suppose." Kim continued, shaking her head again, this time more somberly. 

"Cannot force you help with T-Link. If you want to stop, can leave. Don't want... hurt friend. Am sorry, seem already did."

What a mess... She didn't know what to say. Honestly, she didn't. She hadn't planned on telling anyone about this, not even a therapist or a closer friend, would she ever manage one. And here Kim was, having haphazardly caught her deepest feelings. There was no primed response, no time to think. Kim kept talking, Christina trying to shrink past the chair into nothingness.

"No one was supposed to know... This is awful..." She didn't even want to cry, she didn't want to do anything! That made it feel worse! "What... What now, then? Do we... Just, try to be friends, with you knowing all of this? These... Gross thoughts in me. Do you even still want to? Just... Just, ignore me, like everyone else, abandon, me... I'm only good as a body, anyway. So... So just..." Khh... What am I saying... But I hate this, I want to disappear...

"Not your fault, Chrissy. Of course still want be friends... heard this before we met proper first time, would stop much sooner if bothered me." Kim replied, slowly and gently reaching out to give Christina a pat on the head.

"Don't think worthless. You own person, not up to parents to decide how live your life. Make mistakes, who cares? Everyone make mistakes. No less good person from mistakes... and know you good person, went over already." Seung-Min continued, cracking a slight smile.

"Won't abandon or ignore, Chrissy. What kind of friend do that? I still believe in you."

"Then... Th-then... I can't promise these feelings are going to disappear, any time soon. And... I-I might be a bit dodgy around you for a while... Okay?" She hoped that was okay. Someone finding all that out, her just being okay with it, that... That would be weird.

"...A-And... I'll help... But I'm probably going to scream a lot. And get worried... A-And huddle behind your chair. Is that still fine? I'm not entirely, p-prepared for a combat zone..." That was still true. The sound of gunfire and all of that, spiraling around her, even if Kim was the one piloting, even if Kim was the one keeping them safe.

"If you c-can still work doing that... Then... I-I'll help."

"Then just have try harder to get you see my way. Need you try to let me in, even if difficult... deal?" Kim replied, her grin growing a bit wider. That response came with all of Christina's lack of confidence, but her simple charm shone through as well.

"That all? Dealt with angry instructor at most strict academy in ANF, always screaming. Just trust me, okay? We going take first step to you having confident, again, today." Seung-Min continued, a full smile on her face by this point.

"This machine going to send Apotheosis running, tail between legs. And you co-pilot."

She seemed dead set on things going her way. It wasn't all bad really, having a friend finally could turn out to be a good thing. It would also make being friends with Brant and the captain easier too. Their first outing together had ended in disaster so, having the ability to get along with these people... It would be nice.

"K-Kim, uh... Avery said something, earlier, uhm... You... A-Are you trying so hard, because... N-Nevermind." Is now really the time to be asking that? Wait until you're back on the ship, at least...

"I hope so."

Well, Christina seemed to be slowly coming around, which was excellent news. Her feeling were starting to calm down, until she seemed to have some sort of realization, her feelings shifting to embarrassment. Something Avery had said? Thinking back for a moment, it must have been the girlfriend comment. Expression shifting to a slight smirk, Seung-Min reached over, ruffling Christina's hair a bit.

"Not what had mind, but think about, not seem so bad. Think ready to turn comm back on, get what test can do started?"

"I didn't even ask anything... S-Stop that. You've already seen enough, these two days." She lifted her hand to push away Kim's hair ruffing, but sighed, and let her have it. There were too many thoughts running through her head for her to just focus on the upset. Gonna be forced to sort these out, aren't I...? Hoooo... This is a lot of fun...

"Heeeeeeeeeeeey!" came Avery's drawl, calling up to the cockpit. "Y'all been real quiet up there... We're still here' so iffin yer gonna do somethin' like that, wait until yer alone--"

"Sh-Shut up!" came Christina's squeak of a reply, face buried in her hands again.

"Always gets 'em. Anyway, Kim, this thing on? Ain't got no time fer waitin'. Make sure yer properly connected to th' system. Gotta make sure yer both runnin' it fine... Now, pay attention."

Avery clacked her fingers on some buttons, nodding. "Alright... Way this works. Reason you'd take too much feedback from th' system's 'cause the whole thing's a T-Link... The whole robot. Any hits it takes, until I can run calibrations, go straight to yer brain. An'... Well. In english, it means you feel what th'robot does. If we split that feedback between you'n Blondie there, it'll still hurt, but it ain't gonna kill ya. An' only you're gonna feel it, 'cause I think Blondie's already scared enough. That's all... So, sit yerself down. I know there ain't much space in there fer two o' ya, but... Well, y'all seem cozy together."

"Ugh!" At least she'd picked up all of Avery's instruction...

"All clear, Avery. Just need sort out some nerves, that all. Connect to T-Link through console." Seung-Min replied, flipping the comms back on as Christina came back down to Earth. Listening to Avery's explanation made a few things clear, why the T-Link in the Mk.III was so strong, why she had been so concerned about this, both made a lot more sense if what she said was true.

"So that why T-Link so strong in machine... would ask why make whole machine into link, but no time hear explanation. If understand basic, split feedback in half and give Chrissy console make on-fly adjustment, soften blow from T-Link to manageable level, yes?"

"Just nerves..." she snorted, nodding at Kim's confirmation. "You believe that one, Brant?" She shook her head and chuckled a bit, giving the girls a small "yeah," over the comms, just to make sure Kim didn't repeat herself.

"Gonna get started on testin' then... Girls, lemme know iffin yer heads start hurtin'." Since it was such monotonous work, Avery didn't really have anything else to do... Except ask Brant a question.

"Now, pretty boy, you said somethin' 'bout a backpack... You think if I chopped up an Accensus it'd fit real nice on this thing's back? Think I could use yer's? Figure you got them Russians backin' you, you'll get a robot eventually, with this whole mess... If they can even ship it to us. would be real impressed if they managed it."

Brant chuckled. He didn't need his TK sense to know how difficult these sorts of situations were for Christina. "Nope," he said, smirking up at the MK.III. Right after that, Avery ... got into some funny territory. It was a bit too early to laugh about it, though. "Are you serious?"

Truth be told, Brant already had a mobile suit of his own, it was just with the Alkaev company being put through its paces. Could they get it to him eventually? Probably. The company had plenty of transport planes and barring that, they could just attach some fuel tanks and fly the thing over in its secondary mode. That was definitely an advantage to a transforming mobile suit. Come to think of it, they'd probably speed up their schedule now that there was a more credible threat. They were going to be busy as hell going forward.

As for the MK.III with a beheaded Accensus for a backpack ... ... that violated so many design philosophies that Brant had to wonder if Avery had gotten the idea from an anime. Suddenly Brant realized that she'd gotten the idea from him. "If the MK.III's wearing my Accensus like a backpack because I can't go any farther out than that, then maybe not ..." That caused another brief chuckle. "I have no idea if that would actually work, but if you think you can pull it off, go for it. Just ... don't chop up my plane before Regalia actually gets here, okay?" he pleaded jokingly.

Well, that left only one thing to sort out. Looking over at Christina, Seung-Min tilted her head a bit, looking around the cockpit.

"Need figure out where put you so can pilot machine proper..."

"'Course I'm serious! I made funnels outta beam rifles, strappin' a plane onto a robot'n makin' it work would be cake. 'Sides, if I need t'get more creative, I got Buck. Kid's a wildcard, but 's'long as I make sure he ain't messin' too hard, nothin's gonna explode... And I'll try, but I'm nearin' finished with this thing's weaponry, an' I wanna do more stuff to it. Feels like... It ain't complete. Like somethin's missin'. But... I ain't found nothin'. Been over the blueprints, scans, nothin'. I don't get it. So I wanna add."

Avery sighed, shaking her head, and starting to run diagnostics. It shouldn't have felt more like a light buzzing around either girl's head.

"Oh! R-Right... Sorry. Yeah this... Is gonna be kinda cramped, huh..." We should get Avery to install a second seat... Would she have time to do that? "Avery, would you have time to install a second seat?" She asked this as she got herself out of the seat, sliding up against the wall as best as she could, forced to lean over some. She was glad her sweater was high cut, but still managed to turn a bit red.

"Huh? Whazzat? Second seat? ...Y'all that cramped? Just get offa her la--"

"Avery!"

The mechanic snorted, hard. "Yeah, yeah, jus', maybe. Depends on how long this takes... And where we end up goin'. But, prolly. Not gonna have time fer another console, tho'. It'd just be a seat facin' a blank, back wall. Hope y'all fine with that."

Which would mean, she wouldn't be able to see any of the fighting going on... Which would be good, and bad, for multiple reasons. "Y-Yeah. That's fine. I just don't wanna get in Kim's way..."

"Then gimme a bit when we're done. I'll work some magic."

Well, if Avery could install a quick fix for their sortie, and spruce it up later, that would work for this go around. In the meanwhile, Christina had stepped out of the seat and flattened herself against the wall as best she could, allowing Kim to sit down and access the controls. At the same time, the diagnostic started, Kim taking the time to orient herself to the cockpit of the Mk.III. The pre-installed weaponry flashed up on the console, Kim looking it over and reciting it aloud.

"Wrist-mount dual gatling, reinforce anti-beam gauntlet, palm-embed repulse cannon, internal missile salvo 1 through 4, Two hip mount Xiphos saber, and..." Kim paused. There it was again, that anomaly. She could feel something in the machine as she dove into the T-Link, but it was's listed in the weapons loadout, and wasn't accessible from the console. She remembered asking Avery about it, there wasn't supposed to be anything else inbuilt into this machine, so why...? Shaking her head after a moment, she turned to her comms.

"Diagnostic fine so far. Assuming optional equipment similar capacity to Mk.II, ask transfer kit over from machine to Mk.III before sortie. Specs on Xiphos saber superior to plasma rapier, can leave on old machine, replace with 180mm Shotgun in storage for update loadout." Seung-Min asked, choosing to ignore the odd feeling for now. They didn't have time to deal with it.

Chrissy stood in her awkward spot against the wall, sighing, not enjoying being so scrunched up. She was pretty happy she'd at least have a seat during this, even if she couldn't see or do anything from it. Better than standing and being forced to watch all the carnage. But if this continues, I'll have to get used to it, won't I? Another sigh, frustrated with that situation. She did catch something else though, from Kim. What was it, confusion? Or something similar... Was there a problem with the robot?

"Kim?" Better to ask than to not.

"Yeah, don'chu worry 'bout all that, Miss Min. We're gonna get yer stuff fixed onto it... Just makin' sure yer aware, tho', this thing's lighter'n the Mark Two. Ain't able t'carry as much stuff. Weighs it down too much. Gotta make sure the V-Drive's balanced! So, uh, gonna have to nix somma them weapons."

"Is nothing, Chrissy. Just... confuse self, for moment... can't do while in flight, but can sit on leg for now. Squish like that must uncomfortable." Kim replied, as Christina's demeanor and question showed that she had at least become vaguely aware of Kim's quandary. But if she hadn't felt it herself, then perhaps she really was just imagining it. As Avery's reply came, Seung-Min brought up the weapons array on her console again, looking over the available capacity more closely... with numbers like that, and the pre-installed kit...

"Yes, look like. Probably best bring over long range, high firepower. Ripper and Particle bazooka should fit, yes?"

"Confused yourself... Over what? Also, no... I'm not sitting on your leg... Golly." We're not your normal every day friends anymore, Kim... I'm... Going to take some time getting used to you being close. It's not every day your new friend sees deep dark secret numbers one through twelve on accident. She had to try, though, so she stuck her tongue out some, remaining standing.

"Yeah, yeah, y'all gonna be good. Just leave it t'me an' tell me if anythin' goes wrong... Signals're checkin' out. Looks like it's gon' be fine, but I'll keep it monitored durin' the fight." Wonder how much time I'm gonna get t'tinker. Geez... If the fight goes fine, Buck's takin' over. I need some serious, real sleep...

"Just misplaced equipment in head. No need worry about." Kim replied, smirking at Christina's small show of defiance, sticking her tongue out to match the older girl, until Avery responded.

"Want us stay more test, or get right to rigging second seat? Can't have much time."

"One more test'n yer done. Sit tight!"

Edited by Nanami Touko

Astin let out a small sigh of relief. That was that then. Things would work out as best they could. If things feel apart at Colony 2, they would deal with that, but for now, this seemed to be the best course of action. Giving a salute to the captain, they responded, "Yes ma'am. If that's all, I'm going to go check to make sure everything is ready with the bot you found yesterday. I just want to make sure all the weapons are loaded and ready to go." They had been surprised last night when Jess had told them about the bot the explorers had found, but upon seeing it, they had been extremely grateful the captain had taken it back to the Reise. It seemed like it had almost been made with someone like Astin in mind. Hopefully it would perform as well as Astin was hoping in the upcoming battles.

Elaine felt that she had made a decent enough argument, but it wasn't enough. The captain had made the decision, and that decision was going down to Earth. And before she could make any sort of protest, the command to radio in was made. The decision was final: they were abandoning Colony 2. And with that, Elaine wordlessly stepped out of the room, desperately trying to hide her face from anyone looking at her. She boarded the elevator out of the bridge and back into the rest of the top deck, and headed towards the elevator to lead down...somewhere. Her room? The hangar? Cheryl's office? ...Wherever she went wouldn't matter. Elaine would still feel the same.

The button pressed, the doors closed, and Elaine was left alone to reflect on the current events. As much as she hated it, Astin was right. The base of the ANF was the primary target, and the place they had to defend the most. If that fell, then they were as good as dead. They had to protect it, no matter the cost. "...But it's my home." She said, though no one but her was there to hear it. And Colony 2 was indeed her home. It had been her home for the several years she had been in hiding, and just recently she had officially moved there. And now, Elaine was forced to leave it, along with all the people she knew there, behind. And it tore at her.

--

The elevator door opened, and Elaine stepped out onto the middle deck. The hangar seemed far more welcoming to an engineer like her, though she still felt terrible about the whole situation. Really, she was just trying to distract herself form the fact that she was going to leave all her friends and coworkers on the colony for dead, because some nineteen year old stuttering girl who was in charge of an entire military ship decided so. And distracted she was when she spotted an unfamiliar mobile suit within the hangar. It was tall, sleek, yet looked fairly well armored. Not as much as a Legionary, but more so than a Vellite. The colors were a combination of white and silver, with it's visor a bright blue. She stood there for a moment, staring at it, before she noticed a familiar young mechanic walking about. "Hey...Hey, Buck! Come over here for a sec!" She waited until he was over before speaking again. "What kind of model is this thing? Haven't seen it before."

Made to Fit

"Huh? This?" Buck smiled nice and wide, almost cackling with pleasure, as he started to rub his grimy hands together. "This is that Heracles you guys brought on board! Well... Both of them, now. I took parts from both and slapped them together, made the cockpit sturdier, and best of all!" he paused, pointing his finger towards the arm. "That thing isn't gonna overload anymore! I fixed the engine of the thing so that it's way more stable. Now anyone can use the... What'd they call it, Jet Magnum? ... Plasma Buckler! Right. That thing, without worrying about having any issues with energy overflow or malfunction. I also gave it a spare head we had laying around and a new paint job, so that if we run into any friendlies, they aren't gonna start targeting it without a scan. Gives enough time to make them realize it's on our side!" He nodded confidently, pleased with himself.

Edited by Nanami Touko

Elaine stared at the mobile suit, listening to Buck as he explained everything about it. And, after a moment of silence, she nodded. "Alright," She said, "I'll take it." Elaine turned to face Buck, her face completely straight as she spoke. "I want my weapons moved from my Legionary to this one. And a sub machine gun. ASAP! We're heading down to Earth and getting ready for a fight!" Elaine had been thinking about switching from her Legionary, and this was the perfect opportunity. This robot had the blend of durability and mobility that she wanted, and she was going to take it.

Tarquin couldn't have said he had cared a great deal about Elaine's story of heroism. It wasn't her past actions that made her a liability, it was her inability to stick to plans and make rash emotional outbursts. Whilst he would have accepted any logical decision made by the captain, there was a subtle sense of smug satisfaction in her deciding that Earth was going to be their destination. As confident as he was that the Professor would remain safe, there was some comfort in knowing that aiding him and the facility would be possible. 

Jess' orders hadn't been terribly confident, she was almost like a child, far out of her depth and relying on those around her to make them for her. Whilst it wasn't exactly the behaviour one would expect for someone of her position, he had to at least commend her for reaching out for aid. So far she hadn't lead them to disaster, even with her gambit with Nikolai. Before he'd seen needing others as a sign of weakness, and to some extent it still was, but there were times where trying to do everything by oneself would only end in failure. He'd learned that himself the hardway.

Looking at Jess, Tarquin gave a quick salute. "Captain, I'm going to leave to make preparations. If there is any orders that you wish to issue to me during our next deployment I will endeavour to complete them promptly. Given that the situation is appropriate." he affirmed, the chains of empathy still snagging him around his metaphorical ankles. "Likewise, if there is any information I must confer, I shall ensure it is relayed."

With little else to say, Tarquin readied himself to leave for the hangar. However, he ensured that he'd at least acknowledge Nikolai, and offer him a chance to go with him. Nikolai had already shown himself trustworthy to the crew, and the chances were that they would need his aid in the upcoming battle.

"Nikolai, I'll see you in the hangar. There's a request I need to confer to the engineering team." he stated, ensuring he gave Elaine a good headstart - he'd find another lift to use.

-

The hangar had almost become familiar to Tarquin, the mechanical surroundings and units on standby were a stark reminder of the reason he was created. He'd spotted his Velite in its designated bay, fully repaired after the onslaught it had taken. Most of its non-vital subsystems had failed during the previous mission and being able to eject was far preferable to self-destructing. That being said, there was the matter of correcting his rifle. He'd spotted Buck dealing with Elaine, most likely showing her the refurbished suit near them. As young as Buck was, Tarquin was slightly more willing to trust him than Avery for the time being. Besides, Buck wasn't that much older than him, it would be logical to think he had at least some ability. There appeared to be a suitable break in their conversation, giving him a chance to quickly ask Buck to complete his task.

"Buck, I require a favour. The calibration of my Sniper Rifle was out by approximately two hundred hundred minutes above the horizon last mission." Tarquin requested, assuming that Buck would be well-versed with the mechanical elements of maintenance, something Tarquin wasn't entirely familiar with himself. "Correction of the deviation would be appreciated, as well as any alterations that you deem suitable for performance."

Change of Scenery

Earth it was, then... "I should g-get changed out of th-this, shouldn't I..." Jess was still clinging to her blanket, but she wasn't out of it enough to acknowledge Tarquin... Who... Was feeling sorry for her? Maybe... She didn't know how to read him, but the respectful gesture made her smile, faintly. "J-Just come back alive. Okay? No more... Andromeda." That was all she could ask. A glance over at Nikolai, their newest helper, was all she needed to reaffirm that Tarquin had to come back alive. Those two boys needed each other... Much like she needed a big hug, and cup of tea.

"I'll b-be back, then... R-Roxanna, you've got c-command over the bridge, until I return." With shivering steps, she pulled herself out of her chair and made for the bottom deck. She needed to suit up... As much as she felt she was not prepared to be captain.

Emergency Maneuver

"Wha-- y-you'll take it? Hey, hold on, I never said-- but-- E-Earth? H-Hey!" Buck stomped a foot, feeling like there was a lot of ignoring Elaine was doing! "Tell me what's going on! And... Maybe. You pulled some stupid stuff out there, and I'm pretty proud of myself for getting this thing to look so good! Do you even know how much work it takes to get a rebel robot back into ANF standard shape? These things are held together with duct tape!"

He sighed, groaned, and was quite pleased that Tarquin was there. "Oh, that? Avery already looked at it, fixed it up. Said she'd have you personally 'Kick her ass back t' Texas'," he mocked, trying to quote her, "if there was still something wrong with it... Do you still want me to? That's a lot more reasonable a request than someone here. I swear, Elaine, you take this thing out and it comes back in more pieces Kim's arm did, you'll be getting... S-Something! I dunno! Mrrgh..." Like a child having their toy taken away (because he was a child, and Elaine was taking his toy), Buck huffed and waited for Tarquin's call on the rifle. He was sure Avery had fixed it, but he didn't blame the young guy for being paranoid.

It seemed like the captain had nothing else for them, so they turned around and headed after Tarquin. Rather than head straight to the hangar, they instead made their way back to their room. Quickly changing into their pilot suit, they took a minute to collect their thoughts. I won't do anyone any good if I let myself be distracted by all of this. This is the best path to achieve my goals. I have to be in position to avenge him... But I can't let emotions take over.

Taking a deep breath, they quickly pulled the sloppy bun out before taking a few seconds to pull all their hair tightly back and out of their face. It wouldn't do to be distracted in the middle of battle by some stray strands of hair. Giving themselves a once over in the mirror, they nodded and headed out to the hangar. It's time.

Nikolai shrugged almost casually at the entirety of the situation. He hadn't meant to start some great planning debate, but as usual things had simply fallen into place around him with enough grace to allow him to avoid the avalanche. Peace, as it were, never lasted long and he was not particularly surprised that they were to go back to combat so quickly. He supposed he felt a slight twinge of something when the red haired one shouted about home, her passion digging under his skin in a manner that was almost amusing, were it not to go against the will of the only person on the damn ship that he cared about.

He'd lost his home before he had one, big deal, he was still alive. The girl would live too. It was a big fuss over nothing.

He wordlessly made his way to the hangar to change into a flightsuit and get ready for the chaos and screaming once more. It was simply a matter of time before the silence in his skull turned to violence. He felt the vague throbbing ache of the Aparatus in his brain, signaling that soon he would probably become more useful. He was always more useful when he was at the helm of something with big guns, shooting holes into other things with guns.

He did find it particular that the captain seemed so shaken... surely, the person in charge of a business of killing should be used to it by now. It was like a sick joke, but Nikolai was notoriously lacking in humour.

Tarquin couldn't help but be cautious when it came to Buck's claim, a second set of eyes would comfirm it for him and give him peace of mind. He'd made the effort to speak to Buck, it would be better to get something out of it. He'd wanted to put the previous mission behind him, but the injuries he'd taken were real and were among the first he'd ever experienced in his life. Expecting every mission to be as straight forward as a simulation wasn't realistic, and Tarquin prefered not rupturing his spleen because of an oversight. If he did end up beating Avery back to Texas, doing it from an intensive care unit would have been unpleasant for both of them.

"Due to the range I engage from, any small deviance would significantly affect accuracy. A secondary check would be preferable to make certain, in case there were any technical oversights." Tarquin replied, keen to have Buck at least confirm the corrections had been made again. "Otherwise I can run system diagnostics before launch myself, the Velite Mark II differs very little from the training models."

Elaine's choice to change unit and loadout right before an emergency launch was a bold move, although perhaps not the most sensible. He only hoped that she had some idea of how the Heracles worked, otherwise she might as well have deployed in a coffin.

Paranoia in Check

"Sure thing, Tarquin. I'll make sure it's handled before we hit earth, okay? Take it easy." It had been a rookie mistake on Avery's part, one that Buck didn't really get. She was so certain about everything she did, what could've been distracting her so much that she'd make such a grievous error? Probably some adult thing. Buck shook his head and sighed, waving at Elaine, as if to shoo her. "I'll get over it, just... No hero moves! And no smoldering wrecks. I was gonna show my work to home base and see if it was worth getting more attention up here. More material to work with is good for all of us!"

Buck tried and smile. "And I'll make sure it gets what weapons you want on it, 'kay? Not gonna be a stick in the mud forever. But seriously," he said, started to jog off, "take care of it!"

Scenario 4a: Homefront

Descent had been rapid, smooth, and one of the few things not adding to Jessica's worry. Having managed to change into her captain's attire before they broke atmosphere, she was now sat in her chair, resisting the urge to gnaw at her finger nails. Nothing's coming in on the radar for hostiles, just keep this heading and make it down to the base, you can talk to whoever's in charge there and make sure everything gets sorted out with Central... You're probably going to get a message from Martinson any moment now, so just stay calm.

Easier told than done, as she found herself still fidgeting with her hands to avoid ruining them with her teeth. "E-Ensign, any response from Central?" At the least, she'd managed to contain her stutter.

Tristan looked at Jess as calmly as he could, trying not to sigh. "No, Captain... This is the... Uhm, the fourth time you've asked, now. I promise, I'll relay any message that comes in. Please... Try to stay collected. Things are all running properly."

Jess sighed, putting her face in her hand. "Four times, already... I haven't even been keeping track... Ugh, I'm sorry, everyone," she muttered, leaning back and staring at the ceiling. "Just... Happy thoughts... First... No, second testing exams. The first ones always sucked..."

Ready to Roll

Avery was asleep at the console, snoring pretty loudly, having managed to stumble into a chair before collapsing. All the tests necessary for the mark three had been run, leaving Chrissy in almost silence. Kim had left as Avery was finagling with the cockpit, managing to get a sitting area enough to fit the girl in. They had an extra test suit on hand, and despite it being a bit tight, Christina had managed to get into it. Her T-link had been installed, it was still stationed around her head, and she was trying her best to use the sensation of it to stop worrying. "You don't have to see it, you don't have to fly, fire, shoot or be shot at... You're just here to help Kim, that's all. You can do that. You can... Try." She pulled her knees up to her chest, hiding her face against them.

Rise and Shine, Beautiful

The door to Megumi's office slid open, a very tired Olivia in casual attire strolling in, and giving the good doctor a half salute... No, the good doctor wasn't here. Huh. Well. Best to get acquainted with the place, then. With a small stroll, and a tiny whistle, Olivia slipped into the chair at her desk, giving things a look over. "So what's here... Seems pretty basic... Man, not even a monitor? Just the built in stuff... Seems pretty boring-- well, save for the alcohol-- whu... ninety percent? How is she still... Never mind. And a book, huh...? 'Escaping Tartarus'. Never heard of it. The book, not Tartarus, who doesn't know Greek mythos..." Lazily bringing her legs up onto the desk, Olivia figured that, with nothing else to do, perusing through the book could waste her time. "Let's see... You'll do." She grabbed one of the pencils on the desk, using it to hold the page the book was left on, before starting from the beginning.

On Detail

Fatima stood waiting in the hangar of their Scylla class carrier, pacing, fidgeting with a small remote in her hand. She looked pensive, but she was smiling a bit, before she was broken out of her trance by a hand on her shoulder.

"L-Lieutenant Maxwell... To what do I owe the honor?" Her smile faded, a tad, still playing with the remote she had a hand on.

"Just making sure you're alright. This is your first big mission, and you're pacing, fidgeting... You've got some of the soldiers on edge. Anything I can do to calm you down?"

Fatima's smile grew, just a bit. "Calm me down? Heh... Haha, no, I'm perfectly fine. If anything, I'm too excited! Finally, live combat... The simulations were getting to me. There's only so many times I can flick the switch and watch the fireworks... I need to see them, for real!"

Vera tried to smile, giving her a gentle pat on the shoulder. I shouldn't get too worried... I imagine the ANF and EU have their own handful of... Testy pilots. As long as they perform well, I can't get that upset, can I? "Well, try to keep it contained, just a bit. Some of the initiates are on edge, with all this live fire. I don't need their squad leader giving them another reason to worry. Lieutenant's orders."

Fatima swallowed, nodding, dropping her smile, but continuing to fidget with her remote. "O-Of course, Lieutenant. For the world's culmination. I'll sit in my cockpit, to make sure I don't set off the worriers." Fatima trudged off, not upset, and still inwardly excited.

Vera sighed. "Hope Duane's doing better up in space... And I hope he comes back soon." Blowing a loose strand of purple hair out of her face, she walked off to suit up, as well. She had other matters to attend to.

As Kim returned to the secluded hangar, she felt that same odd sensation wash over her. Her abilities being jammed, which meant that the installation was complete by now, and Christina was inside of the Velite. Scanning her eye and inputting the password Avery had given her, the click of the door unlocking telling her that she had been added to the electronic lock without a hitch, Kim stepped inside.

Immediately, Seung-Min's ears were assaulted by loud snoring, and looking in the source direction, it was Avery, sound asleep on her console. Walking over to the mechanic, Kim firmly grasped her shoulder, in an attempt to jostle her awake.

"Wake, Avery. Don't want be sleep in chair when combat start."

Sweet Dreams

"Nnno... More coffee, Ma... I'm... Goo'..." Avery was definitely deep in whatever sleep she was having, definitely not getting jostled out of it any time soon.

"Kim?" Christina had poked her head out of the cockpit, staring down. "You're all suited up, then? Ready to go? I'm still nervous, but... Gotta try, right?" She smiled, a bit, eyebrows nervously furrowed, leaning back into the small space. "I wonder if she's ever considered getting a Haro... They can help in combat, and would definitely help my nerves... Hoo, just, deep breaths..."

"Oh, Chrissy. Yes, ready... wanted wake Avery up before fight start, but not seem waking up." Kim replied, giving Avery one last shake before turning towards the elevator, and entering the cockpit of the Velite Mk.III. Sitting down in the pilot's seat, she turned her head back, Christina's seat would be just behind this, then.

"Not too cramp back there?"

Cramped?

"She conked out right after you left, I think these last few days are finally getting to her... It's probably best to let her sleep, I think you can do the launch from in here, right? Assuming this thing can even launch from here... It'd be really awkward if they put this in here with no way for it to get out." Christina crawled back to her makeshift seat, hugging one knee again, nodding at Kim's question.

"I fit. It's a bit lonely back here, but if won't be for long... You ever think of getting a Haro? Something like that... A-And what paint scheme do you want this thing to be? Not sure what you're looking for with it... You could leave it white and blue. It's not bad... Maybe, match your flight suit? But would bright pink really be good for a suit? Heh... S-Sorry, I uh... I can quite down. Just t-talkative. Keeps me from thinking too much..."

"Have launch control in console, should be fine. No problem with hangar equipment." Seung-Min replied, pulling up the controls again to get what little extra familiarization the scant time they had remaining would allow. Turning back towards Christina as she asked some more questions, Kim considered for a moment before answering.

"Haro? Little float ball robot, yes? Not really think about, maybe not so bad, not sure. Not really think of paint either, not have time... also wear a lot blue, maybe that better prime colour,.. not need quiet, don't mind talk for now. Get out of system before need concentrate fighting."

No one had requested or ordered her off the bridge, so Megumi took the same seat she had during yesterday's battle and awaited reentry. While at first she'd planned to check in on Abigail and tell her about the return to Earth, realizing that was about all she would have to say, something that may very well come in over the intercom, the doctor opted to wait until the situation had developed a little further. She still planned to make some 'new' inquiries, but those hadn't fully formed in her mind, yet, and they ought to wait until there was more information to work with.

Post reentry, the situation remained normal. Too normal, sadly; the captain was practically harassing the crew for updates, which meant she was overly nervous. They weren't dead yet, so she clearly could pull it together when it truly mattered. Still, Megumi couldn't help but wonder how long things could continue on like this. Jessica had serious anxiety issues and they were dangerously unpredictable. Mundane things always seemed to trip her up, while something that would even have Megumi herself on edge were she in the captain's shoes didn't really seem to faze her all that much. Maybe there was a pattern to this that hadn't yet come into focus.

There really hadn't been much to say or do with regard to the MK.III. That mobile suit was Avery's project, Kim's responsibility, and Christina's stress test. With the T-Link set up the way it was, Brant couldn't be involved in that in any way shape or form ... not without his jury-rigged funnels flat lining on him. He'd even have to actively avoid them for the time being. That was ... a little disappointing, but not exactly ruinous. Brant had spent reentry in the hangar, having already switched into his irritatingly form fitting flight suit. Once it was safe to walk around again, he made a beeline for his Accensus, boarded the craft and started running flight checks. He half expected someone had been poking around needlessly, again. There was definitely something ...

Fortunately, this time it looked like some improvements were made to the engines and control surfaces. It was probably based on Brant's combat data, and that was fine. At least it was something he'd get some actual use out of. "It'll be good to lose the boosters, too. They're useful in space but down here, I want to be as light as possible," Brant mused aloud.

There was nothing to do now but wait ... and waiting meant thinking, or rather 'mental chatter'. Since they were on Earth again, Brant definitely felt like he was back in his element in some sense, though admittedly he would have preferred they try to assist the colonies instead of throwing themselves in with the rest of the armed forces. As someone who wasn't here by choice, the fate of the ANF as an entity would have meant nothing to him if not for the advantage it would give their more pompous rivals in mass murder, Apotheosis. The civilians were always a concern, but Brant doubted they would be protecting civilians on the whole, though if they were, said people had a decent chance of escape. The colonies were a slightly different story, and those people were more thoroughly isolated as a result. Brant honestly didn't expect to hear much, if any good news from the ANF forces operating in space. They were so easily outmaneuvered the first time that ANF High Command were willing to scrap Colony One themselves. That terrible fact in mind, it was all Brant could do to not just write off Colonies Two and Five in advance.

"I hope we're making a real difference down here," he murmured, praying those targets wouldn't become orbiting graveyards by the time the fighting on Earth was under control. That was at least motivation to fight harder.

Still, the thought of actually returning to space felt overly simplistic. It would take time for the ANF to get a handle on this massive incursion, and until then, the Riese would probably be kept on a short leash. They might even get sick of Brant flying an Accensus and order him into a MK.II. Unlike the colonies, that didn't motivate him to fight harder, but it did make him chuckle. "If I get beat up too much in this thing, they'll move me into a mobile suit over safety concerns. If I perform well they'll move me into a mobile suit to increase my performance even more. Heh ... hell." The Alkaev's new mobile suits suddenly came to mind. As much as he hated those people, that kind of design was what he really wanted. "We'll see who's faster on the trigger, the ANF or the Alkaevs. Until then, I'll just take down as many of these Apotheosis pilots as I can."

Edited by Phoenix

Astin stood outside their new mech, giving it a final once over. The sword and fist that had come installed were certainly a dangerous pairing, and gave a good picture of why the captain had seemingly picked it out for them. As the only specialist in melee weapons on the crew and one of the few in the ANF, Astin was more used to weird looks and attempts to convince them to use a gun than they were to encouragement, but from the start, Jess had been supportive. And now they had their own personal mech. 

Taking a deep breath, they made their way up into the cockpit, giving the controls a quick once over. They seemed slightly dated but still clear as to what did what. Nothing too different from the Mk. II which was a good sign. "And now we wait...." For better or worse, our paths must cross with Apotheosis. I just need to do what I can to make sure that I do what needs to be done.

Elaine sat in the cockpit of the customized Heracles, taking in the feeling as she observed her everything around her, slowly growing accustomed to her newest toy. The console was definitely different from that of a Legionary, but not something she couldn't get used to. It was much older, but her time in the academy studying mecha operating systems, which she had done alongside her studies of weapons and movement systems, did help with getting familiar. Of course, there were some missing features that had become standard to all operating systems ever since. For one, there was no auto-targeting, which would definitely be a challenge in the heat of battle. There was also no way to automatically distinguish friend from foe. She would have to take the time to assign it manually. The most annoying part for her, however, was the display. It wasn't nearly as easy to see, as if a light fog had somehow covered the screen. She would definitely have to mess with this at a later date. The entire console would have to gutted and rebuilt from the ground up. But, for now, she would have to make due. This is gonna be a doozy...