• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saber/Jesse

Spoiler

C

Hey there, Saber.

Why, if it isn't Jesse. You need something?

Well, I just wanted to have a long talk with you someday.
I've heard stories of the Mercenary Saber here and there, you know.

Oooh...? And I'll bet the stories showered him with nothing but praise, right?

Correct! ... Is what I'd like to say.
The man's origins are a mystery, but his skills are undeniable. That's about what most said.
And a small number happened to mention the countless women he'd brought to tears...

Wooah, there. Those are always scary.

B

Tell me, Saber.
What are your plans for after this journey ends?

My plans? Should be obvious.
I'll just take up merc work elsewhere.

Is that it? That'd be a shame!
Don't you think Celica would want you to stay by her side?

Forget it. Working in a castle isn't my style.
Aaaand if the whole country suddenly got too peaceful, that'd be a whole different problem in itself.

Hmmmm...

A

Hey, Saber. I've been thinking...

What about?

Assembling a country of nothing but mercenaries like us. How does that sound?

Whaaat? What's that supposed to be?

Exactly what it sounds like.
Let's found a country of our own, one independent both from Sofia and from Rigel!
Things like royal or common birth won't matter at all, and everyone will be free to live the sort of life they wish.
And then, if someone calls upon us for help, we'll lend them our strength.

Well, it sounds like a dream come true, all right...
If it could ever come true, that is.

I know, right? Heheheh...

Battery dead. To be continued...

26 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

Luka/Clive

Reveal hidden contents

C

Clive.

Oh, what is it, Luka?

How does it feel, having conceded leadership to someone else? Is it a load off your shoulders?

Hahah, you're as harsh as ever.
Nevertheless, I'm really grateful to have someone like you here.
Especially with the way Fors and Python are...
Fors is diligent, but far too enthusiastic, while Python seems to be completely devoid of any enthusiasm to begin with.
The two are more than capable on the field of battle, but...

Ahaha...
I suppose this is something we should never let them hear, especially not Fors.
The shock of it might just be enough to bring even him down, I'm sure.

And that's exactly the problem...
But in any case, that's the reason why I consider your presence here to be invaluable.
I'm counting on you to be there to take a step back and keep looking after us.

B

Sigh...

What's the matter, Luka? Why the long face?

Clive...
Well, I was just thinking about what you said the other day meant...

The other day? When I asked you to look after us?

That's right.
For as long as I can remember, I've never let my emotions get the better of me.
And I'm not like Python; I could never claim that the things going on around me are somebody else's business.
That said, It also means that I could never possibly engage myself in them so much that I'd lose sight of myself, either.
I just spent some time thinking about myself, I suppose.

Is that so?
If you ask me, your ability to retain your composure no matter the circumstances is your finest virtue.

Well... I suppose I might have been asking for too much, after all.

I'm not entirely sure I got Support B right, but what I'm assuming Luka means is that he's torn between having to worry about the others and feeling like no one's doing it for him. "Losing sight of himself" probably refers to "his troubles" rather than the usual "who he truly is", so it's like he's bearing twice the burden the others do, and Clive doesn't quite get him at first. The concept of "haragei" being mentioned in the A support makes me think I'm on the right track here, and that Luka is being a bit cryptic on purpose, but If I misinterpreted that line, I'd appreciate a correction.

A

Luka!

Clive? What's the matter?

This conflict is drawing close to its end.
It's thanks in part to your composed advice that our Liberation Army has made it this far.
I'm no longer the leader, but allow me to offer you my gratitude.

What brought this on, all of a sudden?
Don't tell me you were worried about our prior conversation?

Uhmm...
I suppose I always have been hopelessly bad in getting such implications across.
I'll leave such things to you from now on.

Hehe...
I guess that's right. You can count on me.

More to follow in the next day or two...

I might be simplifying it too much but it seems to me Lukas is just worried he's too composed. The "lose sight of myself" contrasts with the previous sentence so he's basically saying. "it's not like I don't care about anything but I can't care too much either i.e can't fully put myself into someone else's shoes." And then he says he feels he must give that part of his character some thought. 

Also, memory 3 should be here

9 minutes ago, karasu3 said:

I might be simplifying it too much but it seems to me Lukas is just worried he's too composed. The "lose sight of myself" contrasts with the previous sentence so he's basically saying. "it's not like I don't care about anything but I can't care too much either i.e can't fully put myself into someone else's shoes." And then he says he feels he must give that part of his character some thought. 

Also, memory 3 should be here

Oh, I definitely like that interpretation of his last thought better, thanks. You might be on to something with the other line too.

@karasu3
The thing is, Luka's very last line is what makes me think that there's more to this than just him worrying about being too composed, like there's something between the lines Clive isn't able to read at the moment.

Or maybe I'm just the one reading between the lines too much... I just would have liked to get rid of the ambiguity the current TL has, but I suppose this is fine as it is.

Edited by NaokiP

14 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

Oh, I definitely like that interpretation of his last thought better, thanks. You might be on to something with the other line too.

@karasu3
The thing is, Luka's very last line is what makes me think that there's more to this than just him worrying about being too composed, like there's something between the lines Clive isn't able to read at the moment.

Or maybe I'm just the one reading between the lines too much... I just would have liked to get rid of the ambiguity the current TL has, but I suppose this is fine as it is.

Yeah in my basic approach the ないものねだり could be for himself and how he can't be even more empathetic. But Clive does value composure a lot so perhaps there is an implication about him missing a point here. I guess unless someone else can chip in we'll just have 8-4's version to look forward to.

I literally woke up guys, GMT over here.

Thanks for all the stuff. I will add them all to the OP.

Sorry for the double post, but added all of the above and also Berkut's despair, a.k.a the stuff Vincent translated along with Memory 3.

@Thane we finally have some Catria for you ;)

Anyways, we are now only missing the Catria/Est support, Memory 4 and a whole lot of base conversations.

Catria/Est

Spoiler

C

Hey, hey! Catria!

... What is it, Est?

This is something I'm putting up for sale at my shop. I wanted to ask your opinion on it.

What's this supposed to be? A lucky charm?

That's right! It's a stone that a sleeping dragon has held in its clutch for three thousand years!
It'll make any wish come true!

Three thousand years...? Something sounds wrong about that.
And even if that's true, it's nothing more than a plain stone if you just look at it.

...Huh?
Aaaaah, I guess you're right!

Sigh...

B

Hey, sister! Catria!

What is it this time?

Aw, come on now. There's no need to be so suspicious of me.
Look at this! It's tea made from a special medicinal herb that grew on top of a fire dragon's (firedrake's) grave!

I don't see how that could possibly be true, but I'll bite...
What sort of effects does it have?

Uhhhmm, well...
... I forgot.
But hey, you'll know if you just drink it, right?

I'm not drinking this.

Ehhh!?

Why do you look so shocked...?

A

Catria...

What might it be this time, miss merchant?

Aw, come on... I don't have anything today.

My, that's a shame. I have to admit I was looking forward to something new.

Um, listen...
I really wasn't trying to make fun of you or anything. I honestly thought you might like those things...
I'd just like you to know that...

Est...
Silly girl. You don't have to worry yourself about that.
As long as you're here with me, there's no way I could ever get bored.
So promise me you'll never change.

Catria...!
Huh...? Wait, what...? Huuuh???
Sister... is hearing that supposed to make me happy? (Is that supposed to be a compliment?)

Hehe... who knows?

Memory 4 is Rudolf/Mycen, right? I'll do that next.

Edited by NaokiP

8 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

Catria/Est

Reveal hidden contents

C

Hey, hey! Catria!

... What is it, Est?

This is something I'm putting up for sale at my shop. I wanted to ask your opinion on it.

What's this supposed to be? A lucky charm?

That's right! It's a stone that a sleeping dragon has held in its clutch for three thousand years!
It'll make any wish come true!

Three thousand years...? Something sounds wrong about that.
And even if that's true, it's nothing more than a plain stone if you just look at it.

...Huh?
Aaaaah, I guess you're right!

Sigh...

B

Hey, sister! Catria!

What is it this time?

Aw, come on now. There's no need to be so suspicious of me.
Look at this! It's tea made from a special medicinal herb that grew on top of a fire dragon's (firedrake's) grave!

I don't see how that could possibly be true, but I'll bite...
What sort of effects does it have?

Uhhhmm, well...
... I forgot.
But hey, you'll know if you just drink it, right?

I'm not drinking this.

Ehhh!?

Why do you look so shocked...?

A

Catria...

What might it be this time, miss merchant?

Aw, come on... I don't have anything today.

My, that's a shame. I have to admit I was looking forward to something new.

Um, listen...
I really wasn't trying to make fun of you or anything. I honestly thought you might like those things...
I'd just like you to know that...

Est...
Silly girl. You don't have to worry yourself about that.
As long as you're here with me, there's no way I could ever get bored.
So promise me you'll never change.

Catria...!
Huh...? Wait, what...? Huuuh???
Sister... is hearing that supposed to make me happy? (Is that supposed to be a compliment?)

Hehe... who knows?

Memory 4 is Rudolf/Mycen, right? I'll do that next.

Thanks a bunch. Added to the OP.

And yeah, I believe memory 4 is Rudolf/Mycen.

Memory Fragment 4: Rudolf/Mycen

Spoiler

Rudolf! Where are you, Rudolf!
It's me, Mycen! I'm here just as I promised I'd be!

Mycen!
It's been too long, Mycen. I'm so glad you could make it.

Oh there, Rudolf...!
I never imagined I'd tread upon Rigelian soil again in my life.
...So? What business do you have with me that you had to call me out all this way?
I can't imagine it being just to reminisce about good old times.

That's right.
Mycen, of all the men I've ever met in my life, you're the one who's always been unshakably loyal and the most trustworthy.
There's a huge favor I must ask of you, and something I must entrust you with.
... I need you to take this.

Is this...
A baby? Rudolf, is it your...?

Indeed. My son, who was born mere days ago. Alm.
I'm trusting you to take him with you to Sofia, and raise him like one of your own.

Have you lost your mind, Rudolf?! What are you doing, handing away your newborn child to me...
What's the meaning of this?! I'm not agreeing to do this unless you fully confide in me!

The meaning? The meaning is...
Alm here bears the destiny of becoming a hero.

What...?

Take a look at Alm's left hand.

...Oh! This is... a Brand...! (Holy mark, stigmata)

Exactly.
Two fated children, with Brands upon their hands, shall be the ones to save Valentia from ruin.
As according to the prophecy, this boy, Alm was born in Rigel...
And word has reached my ears of a Sofian princess also being born with a Brand on her hand at the same time.

Hmm... So Valentia's downfall draws near...
Then it's true that Doma has fallen into madness?

It's true. He won't last much longer.

I see...

Hear me, Mycen... I must go and spark the conflict myself.
For the sake of mankind, who have lived their lives according to the whims and dogmas of the gods, to remind them now that they have within themselves the power to live on their own terms.
In due time, I'm sure that men will rise to bring me down for this.
And if upon such a battlefield, I should meet Alm...
As a father, I would feel no greater pride and joy.

Rudolf...

Mycen, my dear friend...
I'm begging you, until the day comes. Raise my boy Alm in a manner fitting for a hero.
If he remains in Rigel, there's no question that the Doma cult will come after his life sooner or later.
I implore you to tell no one of this, and raise him to be a fine man.
It's the least I could possibly do for him as his father...

I understand. You can leave Alm in my care.
I'll devote my all to train him into becoming the finest warrior to ever grace the realm.

Yes... I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Mycen.
Dear Alm, I pray that you'll become a man who will never forget kindness, no matter the time.
The next time we meet, I'm sure it will be upon the field of battle...

Rudolf...

Spoiler

I feel like this is a fair foreshadowing into Alm's re-imagined personality as well. Even as a fine warrior, he's one who never forgets to be kind to others, just as Rudolf had hoped.

Edited by NaokiP

6 hours ago, Azz said:

Sorry for the double post, but added all of the above and also Berkut's despair, a.k.a the stuff Vincent translated along with Memory 3.

@Thane we finally have some Catria for you ;)

Anyways, we are now only missing the Catria/Est support, Memory 4 and a whole lot of base conversations.

Eeey! Thanks a lot man!

You know, I reread Palla and Est's, and wow, that sure is a completely different support when you know she's in love with her sister's boyfriend. I had no idea of that until now! What is it with Pegasus Knight's and unrequited love? Jesus.

1 hour ago, NaokiP said:

Memory Fragment 4: Rudolf/Mycen

Reveal hidden contents

Rudolf! Where are you, Rudolf!
It's me, Mycen! I'm here just as I promised I'd be!

Mycen!
It's been too long, Mycen. I'm so glad you could make it.

Oh there, Rudolf...!
I never imagined I'd tread upon Rigelian soil again in my life.
...So? What business do you have with me that you had to call me out all this way?
I can't imagine it being just to reminisce about good old times.

That's right.
Mycen, of all the men I've ever met in my life, you're the one who's always been unshakably loyal and the most trustworthy.
There's a huge favor I must ask of you, and something I must entrust you with.
... I need you to take this.

Is this...
A baby? Rudolf, is it your...?

Indeed. My son, who was born mere days ago. Alm.
I'm trusting you to take him with you to Sofia, and raise him like one of your own.

Have you lost your mind, Rudolf?! What are you doing, handing away your newborn child to me...
What's the meaning of this?! I'm not agreeing to do this unless you fully confide in me!

The meaning? The meaning is...
Alm here bears the destiny of becoming a hero.

What...?

Take a look at Alm's left hand.

...Oh! This is... a Brand...! (Holy mark, stigmata)

Exactly.
Two fated children, with Brands upon their hands, shall be the ones to save Valentia from ruin.
As according to the prophecy, this boy, Alm was born in Rigel...
And word has reached my ears of a Sofian princess also being born with a Brand on her hand at the same time.

Hmm... So Valentia's downfall draws near...
Then it's true that Doma has fallen into madness?

It's true. He won't last much longer.

I see...

Hear me, Mycen... I must go and spark the conflict myself.
For the sake of mankind, who have lived their lives according to the whims and dogmas of the gods, to remind them now that they have within themselves the power to live on their own terms.
In due time, I'm sure that men will rise to bring me down for this.
And if upon such a battlefield, I should meet Alm...
As a father, I would feel no greater pride and joy.

Rudolf...

Mycen, my dear friend...
I'm begging you, until the day comes. Raise my boy Alm in a manner fitting for a hero.
If he remains in Rigel, there's no question that the Doma cult will come after his life sooner or later.
I implore you to tell no one of this, and raise him to be a fine man.
It's the least I could possibly do for him as his father...

I understand. You can leave Alm in my care.
I'll devote my all to train him into becoming the finest warrior to ever grace the realm.

Yes... I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Mycen.
Dear Alm, I pray that you'll become a man who will never forget kindness, no matter the time.
The next time we meet, I'm sure it will be upon the field of battle...

Rudolf...

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like this is a fair foreshadowing into Alm's re-imagined personality as well. Even as a fine warrior, he's one who never forgets to be kind to others, just as Rudolf had hoped.

Thanks for translating.

I would add it to the OP, but for some reason the site is being a bitch and I can't edit the OP.

4 hours ago, Thane said:

You know, I reread Palla and Est's, and wow, that sure is a completely different support when you know she's in love with her sister's boyfriend. I had no idea of that until now! What is it with Pegasus Knight's and unrequited love? Jesus.

About this, is Est aware that her sister likes her husband? If so, that must be really awkward.

4 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

About this, is Est aware that her sister likes her husband? If so, that must be really awkward.

It doesn't seem like it. Palla seems to avoid talking about it. I mean that's worse than Catria being in love with Marth - at least she doesn't have to constantly be around Caeda! 

Sad stuff, and Palla calls his name when she dies. Kind of weird all things considered, but still, sad.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: It sure has been awhile, but finally the topic is editing for me. So I added Lukas', Mae's and Boey's base convos to the OP as well as memory 4, which NaokiP kindly translated.

I highly doubt we will get many more translations with how SoV is coming out in 5 days, but regardless, enjoy.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:30 PM, Azz said:

...do I seem that cold? It's true that compared to my sisters Palla and Est I'm quite reserved. But that's just how being the middle child is.

Can relate.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:30 PM, Azz said:

I'm sure high-born people have their own troubles too, don't they? However I think I'm still somewhat envious of them. I cannot understand their pain because I cannot look at the same things as them. Eh? Who's "them"? No one, it was just an example.

Sure, Catria. Suuure.

What are the canon, implied or hinted pairings in Shadows of Valentia?

Also, I heard that Faye has a negative impact on Alm's stats if you put her near him on the battlefield - perhaps reflected by her conversations with him in the suppport log - so is it better to put her on Celica's team instead? Are there any other characters on Alm's team who support people in battle better on Celica's team and vice versa?

Edited by phoenixmiko

1 hour ago, phoenixmiko said:

Also, I heard that Faye has a negative impact on Alm's stats if you put her near him on the battlefield - perhaps reflected by her conversations with him in the suppport log - so is it better to put her on Celica's team instead? Are there any other characters on Alm's team who support people in battle better on Celica's team and vice versa?

Nah it's reversed. She gets negative avoidance but that's it everything else is good bonuses which fits her character. Nope. Jesse and Silque have a support bonus instead of a convo if you use them in chapter 6 and 5 but that's it. Other than Alm and Celica having support boosts obviously. Also no you shouldn't. Faye makes a worser case than Atlas. At least you can save Atlas completely and utterly by making him a merc. You can't be a merc nor an archer with Faye and Celica already has an offensive healer, Alm does not. Faye even has the again spell pretty sure no other unit naturally has which is more effective on Alm's route. Faye also starts off really under-leveled compared to the rest. It's good for nothing but an easter egg but putting her and Kliff with Alm is absolutely the right choice. Celica's route is filled to the brim with mages so making her a mage in Celica's route is redundant and she will fall behind anyways due to being under-leveled. Just keep her with Alm where she actually can support with somebody (Silque, Alm) please.

Edited by LoyalKing32

1 hour ago, phoenixmiko said:

Alm x Celica
Gray x Clair
Clive x Mathilda
Mae x Boey
Zeke x Tatiana
Berkut x Rinea are all canon.
Genny x Saber is implied IIRC.

59 minutes ago, Konnor97 said:

Genny x Saber is implied IIRC.

It isn't; the only implication for Genny/Saber being a thing is that they're the only two people who get married to unnamed people in their original Gaiden and Echoes epilogues, and Genny's epilogue mentioned that she fell in love with a comrade (Gaiden) and someone unlikely (Echoes). There's nothing else that indicates a connection; no special death dialogue, no passive support bonuses, etc.

Plus, y'know, in Echoes he's old enough to be her father.

Edited by AzureSen

7 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

It isn't; the only reason why people think Genny/Saber is a thing is that they're the only two people who get married to unnamed people in their original Gaiden and Echoes epilogues, and Genny's epilogue mentioned that she fell in love with a comrade (Gaiden) and someone unlikely (Echoes). There's nothing else that indicates a connection; no special death dialogue, no passive support bonuses, etc.

Plus, y'know, in Echoes he's old enough to be her father.

Given how Fire Emblem references the Middle Ages in a lot of things, Genny, a 15 year-old girl, marrying Saber, a 34-year old man, would be considered normal during that time period.