Supports and Base Conversation Compendium *Obvious Spoilers*

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Given how Fire Emblem references the Middle Ages in a lot of things, Genny, a 15 year-old girl, marrying Saber, a 34-year old man, would be considered normal during that time period.

Fire Emblem is Middle Ages lite, let's be honest, and and the Middle Ages aesthetic without the actual cultural or societal truths of the period is exactly what IntSys intends for the series to be. If they were aiming for any sort of historical accuracy, there'd be arranged marriages everywhere, there would be no cross-social class marriage, the female cast of the series would be down to 1 or 2 at best, and everyone would be a noble or a mercenary because professional armies didn't exist in Europe until the Late Middle Ages (and any commoners who joined were conscripted and basically cannon fodder, and especially would not be allowed to freely intermingle and talk casually with the nobles), among other things.

Plus if we're taking inspiration from actual history, depending on which part of the Middle Ages FE is supposed to be set in Genny and Saber marrying would be illegal, and in general only noble women married that young. As a commoner, Genny would be more likely to be married for the first time in her early 20s if she got married at all, since it was fairly common for commoners to remain unmarried. On top of that, as a member of the clergy Genny would be expected to not marry and would have in fact sworn not to as part of her vows for service in the church.

That may have been something I needed to get off my chest for a while, sorry about that.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

Fire Emblem is Middle Ages lite, let's be honest, and and the Middle Ages aesthetic without the actual cultural or societal truths of the period is exactly what IntSys intends for the series to be. If they were aiming for any sort of historical accuracy, there'd be arranged marriages everywhere, there would be no cross-social class marriage, the female cast of the series would be down to 1 or 2 at best, and everyone would be a noble or a mercenary because professional armies didn't exist in Europe until the Late Middle Ages (and any commoners who joined were conscripted and basically cannon fodder, and especially would not be allowed to freely intermingle and talk casually with the nobles), among other things.

Plus if we're taking inspiration from actual history, depending on which part of the Middle Ages FE is supposed to be set in Genny and Saber marrying would be illegal, and in general only noble women married that young. As a commoner, Genny would be more likely to be married for the first time in her early 20s if she got married at all, since it was fairly common for commoners to remain unmarried. On top of that, as a member of the clergy Genny would be expected to not marry and would have in fact sworn not to as part of her vows for service in the church.

That may have been something I needed to get off my chest for a while, sorry about that.

Thanks for the history lesson. I know FE is Middle Ages: Lite Edition but i didn't know to what extent.

Edited by Armagon

Would like to come by and say that Genny and Saber's endings don't change regardless if one or the other is dead. They're spouses are not each other, but some unnamed characters. I refuse to support 19 year age gap for a marriage. I've actually made this point somewhere else. Maybe on this thread or a different one.

Edited by KongDude

6 hours ago, LoyalKing32 said:

Nah it's reversed. She gets negative avoidance but that's it everything else is good bonuses which fits her character. Nope. Jesse and Silque have a support bonus instead of a convo if you use them in chapter 6 and 5 but that's it. Other than Alm and Celica having support boosts obviously. Also no you shouldn't. Faye makes a worser case than Atlas. At least you can save Atlas completely and utterly by making him a merc. You can't be a merc nor an archer with Faye and Celica already has an offensive healer, Alm does not. Faye even has the again spell pretty sure no other unit naturally has which is more effective on Alm's route. Faye also starts off really under-leveled compared to the rest. It's good for nothing but an easter egg but putting her and Kliff with Alm is absolutely the right choice. Celica's route is filled to the brim with mages so making her a mage in Celica's route is redundant and she will fall behind anyways due to being under-leveled. Just keep her with Alm where she actually can support with somebody (Silque, Alm) please.

Thanks for the explanation. I had been wondering what the truth was when it came to how the supports affected Faye and Alm stat-wise. Now I know, I will definitely not be leaving Faye behind in Ram Village seeing as her stats are not that affected by her support with Alm and she is needed as a mage or healer on his team. I have never played Gaiden so that is important advice I will take on board for when I play the remake on Friday. I will also keep in mind what you said about Kilff.

Thanks for telling me about official pairings too, Konnor.

Edited by phoenixmiko

• 2 weeks later...