How do you decide pairings?

Quiver

So... random question out of curiosity: what criteria do you guys use when trying to decide who should pair up with who?

Do you judge based upon what stats would be most benefical for the child characters?
Do you go by "this is a pairing that makes sense for the story and their supports are nice"?
Do you go the route of "These two happened to accidently earn a bunch of supports, so whatevs, they're a couple now"?
Or do you disregard the children all together?

It  depends on the difficulty. If I'm playing on normal,  I can help but do the cutest couple :wub:, I also take the hair colour as a factor to have the most handsome child, but if I'm on hard I Will do pairing based on stats. 

Grinding for supports is tedious, so if a duo happens to get support points during battles, they might as well get married. I tend to decide pairings on a whim and the criterion is usually just that I haven't done a pairing before - I like doing something different on every run. Cuteness and ideal hair colors for children can also be important factors.

The stats mean very little to me, but I've started to take reclassing into account, thanks to my first PMU run. Until now, I avoided using the new seals in Fates because I wasn't sure what to do with them, but using them is surprisingly fun.

I completely disregard the children and only take into account the stats that the two characters will give each other while in pair-up, since I almost always keep my units paired up and also if a unit gives their spouse a class they can make use of. 

I do a balance of gameplay and supports, in that I don't want the pairup to be completely worthless in combat, but if a pairing is great at combat but shittily written I also will not consider it. Within the bracket of "works for combat and doesn't suck at writing" then I give more weight to the chemistry.

I usually make pairings based on the stats of the potential couple. If I think that the couple has cute supports then I'll try to make it work, even on harder difficulties. I don't really pay attention to the children's stats though since I don't use them. 

Hair color and how much I like them together a pairing. It's hard to get every child with a decent hair color, this why I wish hair colors were fixed and not hereditary.