Effie's voice is god awful

Junkhead

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, if you played me that voice, and asked me to say which character it was, Effie would have been the last one I guessed.  Why does every female have to have a dainty little voice?  Females have a broader range than that.

I understand they change names sometimes, but I wish they'd stray away from names that have already been used for others.

It seems like half of Gaiden has had names scavenged out of it.  Effie, Kamui, Robin, Leo.  Did I miss any?

Echoes Leo -> Leon

Fates Leon -> Leo

Was particularly irritating to me.

It felt like the localized names were taken from Gaiden, expecting it to never get a remake.

To be fair, Effie/Faye wasn't in Gaiden.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Echoes Leo -> Leon

Fates Leon -> Leo

Was particularly irritating to me.

It felt like the localized names were taken from Gaiden, expecting it to never get a remake.

To be fair, Effie/Faye wasn't in Gaiden.

Yeah, I like the name Leo better, because I'm obviously biased, but there's several names that I have no idea why they got changed.

Effie/Faye is a weird case of reverse name-theft considering English Effie in Fates was first.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, I like the name Leo better, because I'm obviously biased, but there's several names that I have no idea why they got changed.

Effie/Faye is a weird case of reverse name-theft considering English Effie in Fates was first.

I think we're having a case of miscommunication here.

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

I think we're having a case of miscommunication here.

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I meant I like the name Leo better, I know Leo from Gaiden came first, and Fates Leon became Leo, leading Gaiden Leo to become Leon in SoV.

If I understand correctly, Effie in Fates was Elfie in the Japanese version.  What I meant was weird was that Japanese SoV calls Faye Effie, when they could have picked pretty much any name to avoid confusion with Elfie/Effie from Fates.  That's not to mention confusion between Effie/Faye and Fae/Fa.

Please let me know if I'm understanding you correctly, and that you understand me correctly.

I agree that it seems that they never intended to go back to Gaiden, but with the myriad names available, I don't know why they felt the need to reuse ones that had been used already.

Well, what I mean is the original work never considers English names.

So expecting them to pick a different name for "Effie" (JP Faye) is a little out there.

My frustration was particularly directed at the localization teams with Awakening and Fates, seeing as their name picks seem to (somewhat, can't prove this) take from older FE games, never expecting them to be used again.

That's why I'm irritated at the whole switch with "Leon" and "Leo" when they could have just avoided the whole thing with going with "Leon" for the Fates variety.

Don't get me started on "Tobin".

5 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Well, what I mean is the original work never considers English names.

So expecting them to pick a different name for "Effie" (JP Faye) is a little out there.

My frustration was particularly directed at the localization teams with Awakening and Fates, seeing as their name picks seem to (somewhat, can't prove this) take from older FE games, never expecting them to be used again.

That's why I'm irritated at the whole switch with "Leon" and "Leo" when they could have just avoided the whole thing with going with "Leon" for the Fates variety.

Don't get me started on "Tobin".

I suppose they don't have to take the English names into account, but I think it would generally be preferable if they kept the same names between the Japanese and English versions, if possible, and not using names that have been used already would help with that.

For Awakening at least, the story is that it was their swan song for the series, so using names, not expecting to go back to those games isn't as egregious, but by Fates, they should have known better, since the series was revived or Awoken, bad pun.

5 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Whenever I hear someone talk about Leo, I automatically think of Leonardo from Radiant Dawn...

Yeah, I always just called him Leo for short, but at least his official name isn't the same.

I don't strictly DISlike Effie's english voice, buuuuuut..... If she sounded closer to the Japanese version there's a strong possibility I'd have married her over... my other choices >3> So make of that what you will. 

But seriously, don't those high pitched japanese girl voices hurt your ears? They legitimately make me cringe.

I'm thankfull to treehouse for the Felicia and Effie voice changes. So much better than the originals.

Edited by Nobody

I feel the voice direction for English Effie is perfectly fine, and has its charm, but I do wish that the localization had kept the original personality. The lower, tougher voice could have been a nice and interesting contrast to her soft attitude and personality, kinda like Benny but with more to say. Plus the supports could have kept the general tone of Effie being waay stronger than everyone expects.

25 minutes ago, Nobody said:

But seriously, don't those high pitched japanese girl voices hurt your ears? They legitimately make me cringe.

I'm thankfull to treehouse for the Felicia and Effie voice changes. So much better than the originals.

Some are turned off by the personality moreso than the voice.

"WHO TO CRUSH" whenever I click on her on English heroes when I use Belinda's phone over when I click on her on my phone is very jarring.

I think my opinion is in the middle. I think both voices are perfectly fine, because both work for the character that the different versions are portraying.

J!Effie is (or, from what I read and heard) is very soft-spoken and shy when it comes to interpersonal interaction, and so her very soft, girlish voice fits her very well.

E!Effie is much more excitable and energetic, very physical. Her new voice is a bit rough and boyish, but again, I think that fits her localized personality.

I'm not saying personality changes in localization are a good or bad, because it comes down to personal preference as I've seen.

In much the same way here, It really comes down to preference over which version of Effie you prefer. It's kinda the same as the Henry thing, from what I've seeing. J!Henry and E!Henry are pretty much two completely different characters. I personally prefer English Henry, since I find him absolutely hilarious, and am not really into J!Henry's more understated feeling of creepy and "off."

I can definitely see that if you're used to hearing the Japanese voice, the English voice can be extremely jarring. I've had that same problem with anime I've watched in Japanese first (Sengoku Basara being the premiere example, where I still on the whole much prefer the Japanese voices to the English ones).

Effie's not one of my favorite characters in the game (either version), so I didn't really mind much either way. She's a beast in Conquest and carried my first playthrough hard, which I appreciate, but other than mechanics... I could take her or leave her. It's always good to have armor knights being useful again, after the inexplicably good all around Gatrie from RD.

Edited by Extrasolar

Effie's Japanese voice fits her because she's a bit socially awkward and doesn't know it in that game, as seen in her support with J!Silas. Her eating gimmick was a liiiiittle bit overdone (like how the muscle thing was overdone in English), however.

She was supposed to look and sound like a young, somewhat shy girl, then the contrast comes when she starts crushing rocks with her bare hands and has to eat every 30 seconds.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Effie's Japanese voice fits her because she's a bit socially awkward and doesn't know it in that game, as seen in her support with J!Silas. Her eating gimmick was a liiiiittle bit overdone (like how the muscle thing was overdone in English), however.

She was supposed to look and sound like a young, somewhat shy girl, then the contrast comes when she starts crushing rocks with her bare hands and has to eat every 30 seconds.

I prefer English Effie

On 16/4/2017 at 5:33 AM, Soul~! said:

Wow. She's legit as fuck. Her voice is a little too girly, but it's still miles better. 

Not sure how I got to A-support her, but I'm scared. 

she sounds like she's out of breath in japanese all the time and the acting is kind of trite

i like the english much better

apparently her va is marisha ray who is a cool lady so thumbs up to english effie

edit: wait wrong quote i meant to reply to the video lmao

Edited by fuccboi

20 hours ago, fuccboi said:

she sounds like she's out of breath in japanese all the time and the acting is kind of trite

i like the english much better

apparently her va is marisha ray who is a cool lady so thumbs up to english effie

edit: wait wrong quote i meant to reply to the video lmao

You do you, but I'd take trite over MUH BICEPS every day of the week meng.