I never realized how unpopular my opinions generally are...

Anacybele

And it honestly hurts. Yes, everybody has a few unpopular opinions, but for me, it seems like just about all of them are. At least when it comes to things like games, movies, etc. Those two are probably the biggest ones, though.

It hurts because it makes my tastes look pretty bad. I'm sure no one wants to have bad tastes, right? But when it comes to games and movies, especially in series, I just about always dislike the most popular entries. Not because they're popular, that's ridiculous. I just didn't like them, even before I knew they were popular. And I always like the least popular ones. I dislike a lot of the most popular characters too.

I think Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker are the worst Zelda games while I think Skyward Sword and The Minish Cap are the best ones. Skyward Sword is not liked that much by others.

I think gen 3 in Pokemon is the worst gen and it seems to be the most popular. I think gen 4 is the best and it seems to be the least popular.

I think The Thousand-Year Door is the worst Paper Mario game I've played (though I don't think it's bad either, it's just my least fav. I never played Sticker Star or the first PM, just to note) while my favorite is Super Paper Mario (with Color Splash in between). TTYD is by far the most popular.

The Galaxy games are my favorite Mario titles (other than the Luigi's Mansion games which actually does seem to be something that's generally liked, though not really loved), but they seem to be the least favorite of the 3D games these days.

As for Fire Emblem, FE7 and Awakening are my least favorites, but they're the most popular (probably alongside Fates). Tellius is my favorite, of course, but I'm finding that they're not as liked as I thought they were. I knew people were generally split on RD, but I thought PoR was the most common favorite after the 3DS games. At least on this site. But that's not the case with that tier list in General FE (which is really disappointing so far to me. It looks like Tellius is actually disliked).

The only super popular FE character I like is Ike. Ephraim almost gets there, but he wasn't a top 5 in the Heroes poll. Though he is still popular in his own right, so I suppose he still sorta counts. There are no popular females I like whatsoever. (...Well, maybe Cordelia counts enough there. But she'd be the only one)

My favorite Zelda character outside of Link and Zelda is Ezlo. I don't see many people talk about him. The most popular Zelda character other than those two title characters seems to be Midna. I don't care much for her and don't see her appeal at all.

I dislike a lot of popular Pokemon too (Charizard, Gardevoir, Mewtwo, Blaziken...) and many of my favorite Pokemon are unpopular except for Keldeo who actually ranked pretty high on a Pokemon popularity poll in Japan.

As for movies, my favorite movies include Home Alone 3, Inspector Gadget, The Lion King II, The Princess and the Frog, the Disney Aladdin trilogy, Frozen, the Air Buddies series, and most recently, Sing. I'm not sure about Sing yet since it's still new, but Frozen and Aladdin are the only for sure popular movies on that list. Nobody really likes the others a lot. In fact, people said 3 and 4 were the worst Home Alone movies by far. I never saw the 4th, though.

If I listened to a lot of music, I'd probably have a lot of unpopular opinions there too, but I don't outside of video game music (which seems to be 50/50 or so in terms of my opinions' popularity there).

So yeah, I guess I shouldn't be recommending anything to people, because what I like is unpopular or not popular. Sometimes I can understand why something I don't like is liked, but not being able to like hardly anything that's popular and not being able to recommend what I like really sucks. And what sucks the most is that I don't think I can even talk about my likes much anymore because the people I talk to are more likely to not be interested in them. Maybe this is why I get into a lot of debates/arguments too, and why some people even think I hate everything to do with something. Though that's another topic entirely, so I won't go any further there than that.

Does anyone else feel like they have too many unpopular opinions?

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'd be happier if you didn't try to compare what you like to what others like. 

I'm into plenty of unpopular things but I don't let what others think about them get to me. I know a lot of people don't like the music I like or the games I play (none of my rl friends like Fire Emblem nearly as much as I do, if at all) or the movies I like (Donnie Darko is a 'cult classic' which means everyone hated it when it first came out lol) but if I let it get to me I'd go insane. I still recommend those things to people who ask in spite of that, because there's a chance that they'll end up liking it anyway.

Don't be so hard on yourself for liking what you like! 

6 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I think you'd be happier if you didn't try to compare what you like to what others like. 

I'm into plenty of unpopular things but I don't let what others think about them get to me. I know a lot of people don't like the music I like or the games I play (none of my rl friends like Fire Emblem nearly as much as I do, if at all) or the movies I like (Donnie Darko is a 'cult classic' which means everyone hated it when it first came out lol) but if I let it get to me I'd go insane. I still recommend those things to people who ask in spite of that, because there's a chance that they'll end up liking it anyway.

Don't be so hard on yourself for liking what you like! 

Where am I comparing anything? All I said was that my tastes seem to be bad, that's all. Not comparing them to others' tastes or opinions at all.

And I set myself up for disappointment all the time with so many unpopular opinions. The Zelda merchandise I most commonly see now other than BotW stuff is MM and TWW. I don't want any of it, so I'm disappointed that I can't buy things for the Zelda games I do like. Heroes's base cast disappointed me because I didn't like many Elibe, Awakening, or Fates characters and was unfamiliar with Archanea's cast. In polls, my choices never win or rarely even come close to it (unless it's Ike).

Being disappointed so much sucks.

Edited by Anacybele

As simply hard as it is, try not to be disappointed by that kind of stuff.

My favorite game is SD; that should really say all there is with my feelings on the matter. And my favorite Zelda is Zelda II, so take THAT

1,000 people can like what you like, or you could be the only one, but, that doesn't change the fact that you DO like it, nor should it. 

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

As simply hard as it is, try not to be disappointed by that kind of stuff.

My favorite game is SD; that should really say all there is with my feelings on the matter. And my favorite Zelda is Zelda II, so take THAT

1,000 people can like what you like, or you could be the only one, but, that doesn't change the fact that you DO like it, nor should it. 

Like I said, I know all of us have some unpopular opinions. But do you have a lot more than just those two you mentioned? That's the thing here with me. I have a LOT.

It's 100% fine to have opinions as long as you're not hurting or offending anybody with them.

For that same reason, I honestly think it's totally fine to have "unpopular" opinions. Many of them, even.

I agree with @YouSquiddinMe, you are unnecessarily comparing your tastes to others. Even if you don't realise you're doing so.

Think about it. Where do opinions come from in the first place? People. What makes things popular or not? People. Therefore popular/unpopular opinions are decided by people and you are comparing your opinions with these people.

Anyway, there is no legitimate reason for you to feel bad for, say liking, Gen 4 and 5 Pokemon even though other people may not.

OK, sure, there may be less merchandise, but that's just the way the world works. Companies will naturally make more merchandise for more popular things because more people buy them and thus they make more money. Everyone wants to make more money, not less money (and especially businesses).

Basically, nobody will ever cater specifically to you unless you directly pay them (for example, for a custom piece of merchandise). Is it fair for you? No. But that's just the reality you have to live with. And compared to many realities out there, it's not even a harsh one TBH.

EDIT

I may sound harsh, but it just seems like you're sulking for not having the merchandise you want and/or not being a part of the popular crowds.

Edited by VincentASM

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Like I said, I know all of us have some unpopular opinions. But do you have a lot more than just those two you mentioned? That's the thing here with me. I have a LOT.

Yeah, and I have a ton. I don't list them all, because why should I? This isn't a pissing contest about who is the most unpopular.

I want to give you advice, and I'd be happy to chat with you about it; please don't make it seem like your entire spiel should be summed up as "please pity me".

We've all been in moments where we wished others loved the things as much as we do. Happens a lot actually, or when people pressure you to watch a social event (like game of thrones) that you just can't get in to, and are convinced that you SHOULD love it, even when you don't.

As long as no one is forcing you how to feel, then you're good. The internet likes to criticize everyone and everything, but they really aren't the people you should listen to.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

5 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Yeah, and I have a ton. I don't list them all, because why should I? This isn't a pissing contest about who is the most unpopular.

I want to give you advice, and I'd be happy to chat with you about it; please don't make it seem like your entire spiel should be summed up as "please pity me".

We've all been in moments where we wished others loved the things as much as we do. Happens a lot actually, or when people pressure you to watch a social event (like game of thrones) that you just can't get in to, and are convinced that you SHOULD love it, even when you don't.

As long as no one is forcing you how to feel, then you're good. The internet likes to criticize everyone and everything, but they really aren't the people you should listen to.

...I knew someone would accuse me of asking for pity. I'm not asking for any. In fact, I don't WANT any. If I want anything here, it's advice on how to deal with this pain. I would honeslty feel even more hurt if someone went and said "wow, I pity you."

Unpopular and different is not necessarily bad, Radiant Dawn is my favorite as well, that's the beauty of every form of media, they're so many opinions.

For example, drawing a comparison to Pokemon here, I love Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum and they're my favorite Pokemon games and all I hear about them is negative thoughts and none of the good things that the games offered such as: "The game's too slow" and "The game's bad", that doesn't stop me from enjoying Gen 4.

Same goes for anything really, a different opinion isn't bad, it's just different. Everybody has unique tastes, I could like Trap and K-pop music at the same time and that could count as "Bad tastes" but It's who I am. 

Don't listen to what others have to say about your opinions that might seem controversial, that's what makes a community ; Differing Opinions.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...I knew someone would accuse me of asking for pity. I'm not asking for any. In fact, I don't WANT any. If I want anything here, it's advice on how to deal with this pain. I would honeslty feel even more hurt if someone went and said "wow, I pity you."

Okay, then let's talk about it instead of "yeah but I have MORE unpopular opinions than you, scrub".

I haven't taken the time to count mine, and my advice to you is to stop picking things out and added them to a list of imaginary miseries.

Fun fact about the internet, opinions come and go in waves, and they change. Just to focus on one or two things for simplicity's sake, ever hear of the "Zelda Cycle?" MM is only recently as popular as it is. And Pokemon? Now it's literally a freakin' crime to to have gen 1 as your favorite, and gen II is the "most uninspired region ever". I love Gens 1,2,7 the most, thanks to team Rocket - you know, "the boring villains"

Everyone has different tastes so you liking something that doesn't seem to have a lot of fans is perfectly fine and comparing yourself to others and what they like is a bad thing to do because you will only feel bad.  I tend to like books and music that aren't raved about but still have fans, maybe you need to start looking in different places for fellow fans of what you like.  As to Zelda merch they have stuff for the games that have been released the most recently because that is what they are trying to market, but I see danglers for Minish Cap all the time when I go to FYE and Hastings, I bought a Vaati dangler a couple of months ago and I still see quite a bit of Skyward Sword merch when I go to Hot Topic.  You're not the only one who feels like what they like is not popular, try being a Saiyuki fan in a town where nobody knows what it is.  At least I have the internet to get merch and can read fan translations of the manga.  Just except who you are and what you like and be happy.

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Maybe use those feelings of disapointment to fill the void (Lack of merchandise/art/etc), with your own abilities (or your wallet). I remember during the Fates DLC for the halloween scramble, people were disappointed in the lack of art of their favorite characters. People either: A. made their own fan art or B. Commissioned it. Basically, if you want it, make it or pay for it to exist :P  

35 minutes ago, Exalt said:

Unpopular and different is not necessarily bad, Radiant Dawn is my favorite as well, that's the beauty of every form of media, they're so many opinions.

For example, drawing a comparison to Pokemon here, I love Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum and they're my favorite Pokemon games and all I hear about them is negative thoughts and none of the good things that the games offered such as: "The game's too slow" and "The game's bad", that doesn't stop me from enjoying Gen 4.

Same goes for anything really, a different opinion isn't bad, it's just different. Everybody has unique tastes, I could like Trap and K-pop music at the same time and that could count as "Bad tastes" but It's who I am. 

Don't listen to what others have to say about your opinions that might seem controversial, that's what makes a community ; Differing Opinions.

Yeah, I see, I feel like I can't talk about those now because people will just be negative about them like you say here. Nothing positive. That's not fun at all.

32 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Okay, then let's talk about it instead of "yeah but I have MORE unpopular opinions than you, scrub".

I haven't taken the time to count mine, and my advice to you is to stop picking things out and added them to a list of imaginary miseries.

Fun fact about the internet, opinions come and go in waves, and they change. Just to focus on one or two things for simplicity's sake, ever hear of the "Zelda Cycle?" MM is only recently as popular as it is. And Pokemon? Now it's literally a freakin' crime to to have gen 1 as your favorite, and gen II is the "most uninspired region ever". I love Gens 1,2,7 the most, thanks to team Rocket - you know, "the boring villains"

I wasn't trying to call anyone a scrub, come on...

"imaginary miseries"?

Oh, I definitely know about the Zelda cycle. But that seems to have come to an end with BotW, honestly. Everybody loves BotW (I really like it too, though it couldn't be a top favorite). But nobody is suddenly loving Skyward Sword or A Link Between Worlds a lot.

Also, I thought it was more of a crime to hate gen 1 in Pokemon than to like it... But there are also people who bash it because of how much bias it's getting lately. I also never thought anybody believed Team Rocket was boring (I mean, I'm not big on them, but I wouldn't call them boring either).

But you're right, opinions can and do change over time. Who knows, IS could come out with remakes/rereleases of Tellius that become the new best sellers and most popular FE games (and given Ike's popularity, that might not be far from reality). So at least I have that to think about.

Edited by Anacybele

There's thousands of fish in the sea. You are unique, then so be it. You don't have to like what everyone likes if you don't want to, just as people not having to like what you like.

Am I the only fan of Tokyo Ghoul (insert square root)A or Akuma no Riddle? Probably, but that doesn't mean I have to feel bad, I had a good time watching those animes and my opinions about them won't change because everyone says it's bad (Tokyo Ghoul a) or doesn't even know what it is (Akuma no Riddle, btw, I highly reccommend it).

Just as Chrom says: Everything can change! Maybe your opinions are unpopular, but who knows? Maybe with time and more people with your opinion you might change the norm and "what's popular".

I have many unpopular opinions, but I don't really mind, and I don't mind people liking stuff I don't either.  For Fire Emblem, I thought Conquest was the best story of the three routes, and I found Birthright boring, uninspired, and subpar.  I like Lyn's mode in FE7.  My trademarked distaste for Sanaki seems to be in the minority, but I find it fun to engage with people who have different opinions, so long as no one takes anything personally.

I find in the Star Trek fandom, my favorites seldom line up with others tastes.  I liked Enterprise.  I thought Star Trek V wasn't as bad as people say, and Star Trek VI was overrated.  I also love Spock's Brain, which is often listed as the worst episode ever.  For Bond movies, I love Moonraker, which is also often listed as one of the worst ever.

I just never take matters of taste personally, and I always try to remember that if people voice distaste for something I like, that's not a slight against me, just a difference of opinion.

Nostalgia could also play a factor here. Your first game in the series could very easily become your favorite because it was the one that brought you into it. Everything else afterward could end up being compared to the first game you've played.

Super Mario 64 is my absolute favorite game of all time, but really only because it was my first. A lot of people may say games like Sunshine or 3D World are better, but not me.

You may not like it much, but Wind Waker is my absolute favorite, again because of nostalgia, but also because it had some solid gameplay and was just all around a good time. (I'm glad HD sped up the sailing, though). FE7 and PoR are my favorite titles because the stories were good, great gameplay, and awesome characters. Awakening has some replayability and is easily accessible, but I don't think it's as good.

You have your own opinions. I have my own opinions. Everyone has their own opinions. Don't worry, just be yourself!

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But you're right, opinions can and do change over time. Who knows, IS could come out with remakes/rereleases of Tellius that become the new best sellers and most popular FE games (and given Ike's popularity, that might not be far from reality). So at least I have that to think about.

That's the positive attitude I like :D

What I meant by imaginary miseries, is that if this is what we are focused on, we must be well clothed and fed, and have a safe place to sleep. I hope that's the case for you, and really for everyone here. It's fun to debate this stuff, because fun stuff is important, but it shouldn't be our entire lives.

Also, you're worried about people not liking A Link Between Worlds? Holy crap, I must be out of it, because objectively I think it's the best Zelda game made (definitely 2D, can argue BotW for 3D). I may happen to like Link's Awakening and Zelda II more, but ALBW was a masterpiece through and through.

4 minutes ago, Grim Reaper said:

There's thousands of fish in the sea. You are unique, then so be it. You don't have to like what everyone likes if you don't want to, just as people not having to like what you like.

Am I the only fan of Tokyo Ghoul (insert square root)A or Akuma no Riddle? Probably, but that doesn't mean I have to feel bad, I had a good time watching those animes and my opinions about them won't change because everyone says it's bad (Tokyo Ghoul a) or doesn't even know what it is (Akuma no Riddle, btw, I highly reccommend it).

Just as Chrom says: Everything can change! Maybe your opinions are unpopular, but who knows? Maybe with time and more people with your opinion you might change the norm and "what's popular".

Wasn't it "Anything can change"?

Anyway, yeah, that's all I can hope for, that what I like becomes more popular with time.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I have many unpopular opinions, but I don't really mind, and I don't mind people liking stuff I don't either.  For Fire Emblem, I thought Conquest was the best story of the three routes, and I found Birthright boring, uninspired, and subpar.  I like Lyn's mode in FE7.  My trademarked distaste for Sanaki seems to be in the minority, but I find it fun to engage with people who have different opinions, so long as no one takes anything personally.

I find in the Star Trek fandom, my favorites seldom line up with others tastes.  I liked Enterprise.  I thought Star Trek V wasn't as bad as people say, and Star Trek VI was overrated.  I also love Spock's Brain, which is often listed as the worst episode ever.  For Bond movies, I love Moonraker, which is also often listed as one of the worst ever.

I just never take matters of taste personally, and I always try to remember that if people voice distaste for something I like, that's not a slight against me, just a difference of opinion.

Mm. I suppose so. I don't know much about Star Trek at all, but I thought people were generally fine with Lyn's mode in FE7?

I guess I should just think more of it as just a difference in opinion.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Rule of thumb: broadly speaking, everything is awful.
Everybody has differing opinions, and somebody out there will hate you over any single one of them.

Well, that's sure comforting... :(

44 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Does anyone else feel like they have too many unpopular opinions?

...Well, I think Conquest has the best story of the Fates trilogy, for starters. Calling that opinion unpopular might be an understatement. Also, I genuinely like Meg.

My favorite Fire Emblem characters tend to be less important characters, I guess... not necessarily disliked, but rarely mentioned. I prefer Sumia to Cordelia by miles, for example, and I can't understand why the latter is so popular in comparison. While I like plenty of popular characters well enough, I wouldn't put them at the top of any list.

I'm also a fan of Space Griffon VF-9, but most people don't even know that exists, so I don't know if that counts even if it tends to be disliked. It's not like I'd call if one of my favorite games, anyway; I just enjoyed it enough for it to leave an impression on me. Part of that might have been the animated cutscenes and voice acting back when that was still new and rare enough to be a selling point.

From my own experiences and what I've heard others say, it seems common to feel like your opinions are unpopular, especially if you're insecure about them for any reason (and I am, that's for sure). It's easy to focus on what you like that others don't and feel like the world is against you, but... I'd say it's the same for most anyone. Everyone likes a lot of different things, a lot of those likes just won't happen to line up with whatever is most popular, and that makes them stand out. So you're just not "with the flow" when it comes to a lot of things, and you start feeling like an outsider because of it.

I'd recommend focusing on what you do like that is popular, even if it's not the absolute top of the list. Take Ike, for example; he's one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters out there. A lot of things you like won't be popular, and some might be downright hated, but I think that's true for everyone. If anything, going against the grain sometimes makes you more like others, even if it doesn't feel like it. Besides, liking unpopular things can be fun when you're not surrounded by negativity about them; that means you get to tell everyone why you think they're so great.

And sharing things you like with others can be fun, too. So that would be the other thing I'd suggest you focus on. Tell us what you like about some of those games, movies, or characters that you're willing to talk about. Skyward Sword and Super Paper Mario weren't my favorite Zelda or Paper Mario games, but I thought they were pretty good.

As many said before, it's only natural that people have different opinions than you. It's fact of life. And personally, I believe it's good thing. Everyone sharing the same opinion would make for a boring world. It's much better when people sometimes disagree with each other than agreeing with everything.  It's healthier than most think.

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

That's the positive attitude I like :D

What I meant by imaginary miseries, is that if this is what we are focused on, we must be well clothed and fed, and have a safe place to sleep. I hope that's the case for you, and really for everyone here. It's fun to debate this stuff, because fun stuff is important, but it shouldn't be our entire lives.

Also, you're worried about people not liking A Link Between Worlds? Holy crap, I must be out of it, because objectively I think it's the best Zelda game made (definitely 2D, can argue BotW for 3D). I may happen to like Link's Awakening and Zelda II more, but ALBW was a masterpiece through and through.

I don't keep up with Zelda like I used to, but I loved ALBW.  It helps that A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Wasn't it "Anything can change"?

Anyway, yeah, that's all I can hope for, that what I like becomes more popular with time.

Mm. I suppose so. I don't know much about Star Trek at all, but I thought people were generally fine with Lyn's mode in FE7?

I guess I should just think more of it as just a difference in opinion.

Well, that's sure comforting... :(

I've seen lots of people bash Lyn's mode for being a glorified tutorial, which it is, but I still find it fun, and don't see how it's any worse than the prologue of any other game.  In fact, it's my favorite of the games that have what could be called a prologue.

Regarding the missing merchandise and stuff ~

You are an artist right? It is quite simple actually - if there isn't enough merchandise for you to buy than do it yourself. The easiest by far is making cases for your mobile phone, just buy a see-through case and insert your own paintings. Example: Drakengard has quite the cult following now but merchandise is hard to come by... sooo I just made my own Caim phone case! (However Zelda should have plenty of stuff to buy, it has a huge fanbase with so many differing opinions that shift with the times. Look a few years back, not many talked about Majora's Mask being their favourite).

Moreover you shouldn't let other peoples opinions impact your enjoyment of a medium. Likewise you should respect the more popular opinions too. There are as many tastes as there are people out there.

And please remember - this is the internet, so you will likely hear the opinions of a loud majority. Not everyone who enjoys Skyward Sword or the Minish Cap is a member of an internet forum, or a youtuber who voices his opinion there, etc... people on a forum are not representative of your enjoyment or how well regarded the piece of fiction is in general.