I never realized how unpopular my opinions generally are...

Anacybele

21 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

You don't get to call me immature when you do far more immature things than I do. Like post this thread in the first place. Also, maybe you haven't realized but I just don't care about characters as much as you or most other people do. A character that I like can still become someone I dislike ... either because of in-game factors or out of it. Ultimately, I don't have that much of an attachment to fictional characters because I feel don't feel that's healthy. You've also done some stupid actions, but of course you get offended when you're called out on it. I still haven't forgiven your very immature and stupid reaction for when I sent a blunt but honest review for your story on FFN, so apparently things are only okay when you do it.

EDIT: Also, you want immature? The way you responded to my comment on you being salty about British accents was immature.

...You must believe in an entirely different definition of immature then, because I don't think anything I've done lately is immature. Also, you're starting to flame me. Please stop.

And that review on FFN was YEARS ago. You can't possibly think I'm the same person I was back then. And if you can't forgive something that little and something that happened THAT long ago, you are immature. By the way, that review was more than blunt, it was downright rude. But you don't see me saying I haven't forgiven you for it, because it happened forever ago. I've moved on and gotten over it. You need to get over it too.

No matter what you say, I can think someone is immature or their actions are immature if I damn well want to.

21 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

That's because you're not continuing to follow up on people's advice. You come to an epiphany about something and follow it for the rest of the day, or the next day, only to completely forget everything you learned and to make the same mistakes you've made. That, or I don't think you really understand what people are trying to advise you to do.

I have no idea what it is, honestly.

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

You know what? I agree. I think it's dumb to start disliking something because others like it a lot. But it's basic human nature and even though I think it's dumb it's happened to me and it's probably happened to you even if you don't consciously realize it. Even if you like something, if you feel it's getting too much love from elsewhere, it can create a disconnect where you on the less-liking side simultaneously try to be a fan while also thinking it's not that good, and if this continues long enough it can bring your opinion lower and lower. People often call it hype backlash. It sucks, but it's real. I don't usually hear of the reverse happening, but it wouldn't surprise me; people naturally want to root for an underdog.

Nope, it's never happened to me. I can say that people shoving Lucina down my throat doesn't help my opinion of her at all, but I don't just go hating her simply because of those people. I always hated her because of her, not because of any fans.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nope, it's never happened to me. I can say that people shoving Lucina down my throat doesn't help my opinion of her at all, but I don't just go hating her simply because of those people. I always hated her because of her, not because of any fans.

You sure?

Because I can link to a post where you clearly stated that people trying to convince you to try something makes you want to try it even less.

10 minutes ago, Jave said:

You sure?

Because I can link to a post where you clearly stated that people trying to convince you to try something makes you want to try it even less.

That's different. It's not making me hate something more. And it's only if people are repeatedly trying to convince me to try something after I already said no.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

That's different. It's not making me hate something more. And it's only if people are repeatedly trying to convince me to try something after I already said no.

It's the same thing in the context of this thread. Basically letting the enjoyment of others fuel your hate of the same thing, ergo, makes you want to try it even less.

Just now, Jave said:

It's the same thing in the context of this thread. Basically letting the enjoyment of others fuel your hate of the same thing, ergo, makes you want to try it even less.

Well, even so, weren't people just saying earlier in the thread that I shouldn't let other people's opinions affect my own? That's just what you're doing if you let someone's love for something make you like that something less.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Well, even so, weren't people just saying earlier in the thread that I shouldn't let other people's opinions affect my own? That's just what you're doing if you let someone's love for something make you like that something less.

My love for anything has not been affected by anything said here. What exactly are you referring to?

Just now, Jave said:

My love for anything has not been affected by anything said here. What exactly are you referring to?

I was just making an example, I wasn't saying any of your opinions actually got affected by anything.

Maybe this is a better explanation. Sangyul said she used to like Ike and the Ike x Elincia pairing, but I caused her to dislike them. Thus, she let my opinion of them affect/change her own. And people said you shouldn't do that.

I think a good piece of blanket advice is literally the "dont knock it until you try it" idiom. An uninformed opinion on something is worth nothing especially compared to an informed one. Hype backlash or backlash to people asking or wanting you to try something is counterproductive no matter how much you cut the mustard. You can say "nah mang, im not really down with trying that." but you cannot actually express an opinion on that particular subject/work/etc, if you do that. Because that would be an uninformed opinion and it matters even less than the opinion of "i dont like [thing]"

7 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

I think a good piece of blanket advice is literally the "dont knock it until you try it" idiom. An uninformed opinion on something is worth nothing especially compared to an informed one. Hype backlash or backlash to people asking or wanting you to try something is counterproductive no matter how much you cut the mustard. You can say "nah mang, im not really down with trying that." but you cannot actually express an opinion on that particular subject/work/etc, if you do that. Because that would be an uninformed opinion and it matters even less than the opinion of "i dont like [thing]"

Fair enough. I'm not trying to express an opinion on something I haven't tried though. Like, I'm not going to say FE6 sucks because I've never tried it. But I'm still not interested in trying it.

Funny. I thought I was the one who had unpopular opinions. For example, I hate Ocarina of Time, since it played terribly and it's story was only decent, and the controls were god awful, even on the 3DS. Megaman wasn't fun, it was repetitive and tedious and the control didn't feel "tight," they felt clunky. CS:GO, well, I played it for about an hour, and I can honestly say it's nothing special, as well as having more balancing issues than the first generation of Pokemon. Speaking of Pokemon, Pokemon Go is a waste of time if you don't have data, and a waste of time if you do have data. I also find Pokemon Black to be my favourite all around. I barely remember all of the Pokemon from Gen 7 but I can remember most, if not all, of the Pokemon from Gen 5 and even Gen 6.

my opinion of noted music group bigbang has deteriorated because listening to their music started to make me think of those among their fans who are major assholes and i just sort of drifted away from their music because of the association.

it also happens a lot when people compare two things you like (or want to experience) in the context of one shitting all over the other. like, if you were playing botw, and people kept laughing about botw and asking why people would play such a shit game instead of the witcher 3, you will develop a small subconscious complex about the witcher 3, it's damn near guaranteed as t approaches infinity. hell, maybe you were just starting to play the witcher 3 when you got botw and figured you'd come back to the witcher 3 afterwards but all of this shit being flung around sticks.

it's not weakness to fall prey to it once in a while, it's not strength to claim you never have. it has happened to you, me, and everyone else on this site, guaranteed.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: and it's not always as dramatic as making you hate something you once loved. it's small prejudices, little biases, they color things. they always do, they always will, and other people are a large factor in them. nobody is 100% self-realized.

it happens to the best of us, and i know, because i'm the best of us.

Edited by Integrity

Honestly, I think fans can make or break things in a fandom. If I meet hostile or downright rude fans of something I enjoy, they make me question whether or not I want to be associated with said thing.

For example, I've known a LOT of scary Ike fans. (I've known a lot of good ones too. My beau adores Ike...and I adore my beau.) Don't get me wrong. PoR and RD were my first games. When I first started the series, I loved Ike. I developed my own thoughts and feelings about the plot, characters, etc. But then I met fans who insisted that my interpretation of the games were wrong. They insisted their headcanons were right. They glorified characters (like Ike) so much that they practically made him a Gary Stu. I replayed PoR recently, and that revived my love for the game and a fondness for Ike, but my opinions of him are still colored by people stripping Ike down to this idiotic, comedic god.

Likewise, when I notice hate for a character, I want to understand why that character is hated. During the Heroes Voting Gauntlet, I noticed a LOT of hate for Lucina. It had been years since I had played Awakening, so I gave it another shot, and you know what, I loved Lucina. And I loved Chrom too. Were they my favorite characters of all time? Probably not, but I found their stories interesting and their plights genuine enough. I certainly couldn't find anything terrible enough to warrant the hatred.

So long story short, fans can shape opinions. I've had a lot of great interactions through the Harry Potter fandom and some terrible ones in the Hunger Games one. Being a fan of something is joining a community. If I go into a sports game and don't know anything about the two teams, I'm going to join the side with more pleasant company to sit with.  

1 hour ago, Florete said:

You know what? I agree. I think it's dumb to start disliking something because others like it a lot. But it's basic human nature and even though I think it's dumb it's happened to me and it's probably happened to you even if you don't consciously realize it. Even if you like something, if you feel it's getting too much love from elsewhere, it can create a disconnect where you on the less-liking side simultaneously try to be a fan while also thinking it's not that good, and if this continues long enough it can bring your opinion lower and lower. People often call it hype backlash. It sucks, but it's real. I don't usually hear of the reverse happening, but it wouldn't surprise me; people naturally want to root for an underdog.

I can't think of something that I've started disliking because of others, but I think the inner hipster in me might have caused me to have a better opinion, because I think they aren't as bad as people say.  For Fire Emblem examples, I give Conquest a break in the story department, I like Camilla, because I think she's not as bad as people say, I like Alphonse, because I feel sorry for the guy, (He's going to be 5*, soon!), and my appreciation of the memelord Wrys has gone up, even though people say he's crappy.

16 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Honestly, I think fans can make or break things in a fandom. If I meet hostile or downright rude fans of something I enjoy, they make me question whether or not I want to be associated with said thing.

For example, I've known a LOT of scary Ike fans. (I've known a lot of good ones too. My beau adores Ike...and I adore my beau.) Don't get me wrong. PoR and RD were my first games. When I first started the series, I loved Ike. I developed my own thoughts and feelings about the plot, characters, etc. But then I met fans who insisted that my interpretation of the games were wrong. They insisted their headcanons were right. They glorified characters (like Ike) so much that they practically made him a Gary Stu. I replayed PoR recently, and that revived my love for the game and a fondness for Ike, but my opinions of him are still colored by people stripping Ike down to this idiotic, comedic god.

Seriously? Some Ike fans acted like that? That's pretty despicable and they should be ashamed to even call themselves true fans of his then. I would absolutely never act like that or ever say that my headcanons are the only correct ones or that your interpretation is wrong. Besides, I like hearing about different headcanons and different ideas. It expands my horizons a little.

But I do understand where you're coming from. I try to ignore people like that, but still.

31 minutes ago, Integrity said:

my opinion of noted music group bigbang has deteriorated because listening to their music started to make me think of those among their fans who are major assholes and i just sort of drifted away from their music because of the association.

it also happens a lot when people compare two things you like (or want to experience) in the context of one shitting all over the other. like, if you were playing botw, and people kept laughing about botw and asking why people would play such a shit game instead of the witcher 3, you will develop a small subconscious complex about the witcher 3, it's damn near guaranteed as t approaches infinity. hell, maybe you were just starting to play the witcher 3 when you got botw and figured you'd come back to the witcher 3 afterwards but all of this shit being flung around sticks.

it's not weakness to fall prey to it once in a while, it's not strength to claim you never have. it has happened to you, me, and everyone else on this site, guaranteed.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: and it's not always as dramatic as making you hate something you once loved. it's small prejudices, little biases, they color things. they always do, they always will, and other people are a large factor in them. nobody is 100% self-realized.

it happens to the best of us, and i know, because i'm the best of us.

Hm, yeah, that does sound like realistic kind of scenario there. And I guess a small part of why my opinion of Awakening (and to a lesser extent, Fates) deteriorated were the fanboys and fangirls who said only the new games matter and refused to play the older ones. And the ones who said Chrom and Lucina should replace Ike and Marth in Smash. The latter especially annoyed me. How can you cut two FE icons like them, one of them being the first lord and FACE of FE? And it's poor representation of the series if the only playable characters are from one game in it. But it was just a small part, I started disliking Awakening for other reasons too. I noticed lots of flaws in the story, characters and map design for the most part too. And it lacked some gameplay mechanics I loved in RD.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Hm, yeah, that does sound like realistic kind of scenario there. And I guess a small part of why my opinion of Awakening (and to a lesser extent, Fates) deteriorated were the fanboys and fangirls who said only the new games matter and refused to play the older ones. And the ones who said Chrom and Lucina should replace Ike and Marth in Smash. The latter especially annoyed me. How can you cut two FE icons like them, one of them being the first lord and FACE of FE? And it's poor representation of the series if the only playable characters are from one game in it. But it was just a small part, I started disliking Awakening for other reasons too. I noticed lots of flaws in the story, characters and map design for the most part too. And it lacked some gameplay mechanics I loved in RD.

started, started, major part, minor part - something always causes the slide. the initial distaste you developed for awankening from the fans caused you to start looking at the game more critically; not necessarily looking actively for flaws, just sort of subconsciously going "those guys this this is okay?" even though you didn't think twice about it before. to go back to bigbang, they're an immensely talented group and it wasn't until after i developed a slight distaste from the fans that i started to notice, man, they really don't flex their talent creatively, they just kind of use the five members in the same niches each time except for some odd songs. and why did i start to notice that? because bigbang fans on the internet kept howling about how it was stupid that a different group (buy BTS - You Never Walk Alone on iTunes today) was getting international recognition beyond what bigbang managed to do because bigbang's music is o b j e c t i v e l y better obviously!!

even on this site, i know i disliked fe4 for the longest time purely on principle that a bunch of people i knew that i didn't like crowed about how it was the best fire emblem compared to these shit less complex and politically deep fire emblems. everybody told me how moving the eldigan saga was, i went into it expecting to be unimpressed (boy howdy was i ever......). i still ended up liking the game on aggregate, but i didn't play/finish it forever because of those people, and even now i'm a little reserved about saying I LIKE FE4 because in the back of my mind i see these dipshits i argued with in my teens.

just food for thought, you know? we're all influenced by the people around us in big and small ways, whether we like it or not.

4 minutes ago, Integrity said:

started, started, major part, minor part - something always causes the slide. the initial distaste you developed for awankening from the fans caused you to start looking at the game more critically; not necessarily looking actively for flaws, just sort of subconsciously going "those guys this this is okay?" even though you didn't think twice about it before. to go back to bigbang, they're an immensely talented group and it wasn't until after i developed a slight distaste from the fans that i started to notice, man, they really don't flex their talent creatively, they just kind of use the five members in the same niches each time except for some odd songs. and why did i start to notice that? because bigbang fans on the internet kept howling about how it was stupid that a different group (buy BTS - You Never Walk Alone on iTunes today) was getting international recognition beyond what bigbang managed to do because bigbang's music is o b j e c t i v e l y better obviously!!

even on this site, i know i disliked fe4 for the longest time purely on principle that a bunch of people i knew that i didn't like crowed about how it was the best fire emblem compared to these shit less complex and politically deep fire emblems. everybody told me how moving the eldigan saga was, i went into it expecting to be unimpressed (boy howdy was i ever......). i still ended up liking the game on aggregate, but i didn't play/finish it forever because of those people, and even now i'm a little reserved about saying I LIKE FE4 because in the back of my mind i see these dipshits i argued with in my teens.

just food for thought, you know? we're all influenced by the people around us in big and small ways, whether we like it or not.

Hm, you know, I think you're right. Yeah, this is definitely food for thought, without a doubt. Sorry I can't say much more on this, I have no idea what else to add... I am interested in FE4 and FE5 if they're ever released in the west in some form (provided FE5's difficulty is lowered. I hear it's very hard).

it's fine, i only need to be acknowledged. i kinda just meant for you to just absorb the words and think on it, not necessarily to debate it or anything!

EDIT: obviously i was up for debating it if you thought it was wrong somehow, natch

Edited by Integrity

28 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Seriously? Some Ike fans acted like that? That's pretty despicable and they should be ashamed to even call themselves true fans of his then. I would absolutely never act like that or ever say that my headcanons are the only correct ones or that your interpretation is wrong. Besides, I like hearing about different headcanons and different ideas. It expands my horizons a little.

But I do understand where you're coming from. I try to ignore people like that, but still.

As fans, we're kind of representatives of the things we like. If I'm excited about Character A x Character B, and you're excited about Character A x Character C, that's fine. We can even dislike each other's respective pairings. But if I start telling you that AC isn't as good as AB because of all of these super objective opinions/interpretations, you're probably going to start to resent me. And because I've been a bad representative, there's a chance that you have a much lower opinion of my pairing.

That sounded so silly typing it out. But this is exactly what happens people getting into fights over interpretations. (This would probably seem sillier to me if I hadn't seen college professors get into fights about stuff like poetry before.)  Honestly, they're fictional characters, and in the end, it doesn't matter. But gaming is becoming a social hobby, and we crave affirmation from our peers. Thus fights...

I don't really know you well enough to comment on your character or how you represent your favorite things, but I have noticed some borderline hostility in your opinions that makes me not want to get involved about conversations about stuff you like (like Ike for example). I think that's something to be wary about. And I'm pretty sure that's what some others in this thread were trying to get across.

4 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

As fans, we're kind of representatives of the things we like. If I'm excited about Character A x Character B, and you're excited about Character A x Character C, that's fine. We can even dislike each other's respective pairings. But if I start telling you that AC isn't as good as AB because of all of these super objective opinions/interpretations, you're probably going to start to resent me. And because I've been a bad representative, there's a chance that you have a much lower opinion of my pairing.

That sounded so silly typing it out. But this is exactly what happens people getting into fights over interpretations. (This would probably seem sillier to me if I hadn't seen college professors get into fights about stuff like poetry before.)  Honestly, they're fictional characters, and in the end, it doesn't matter. But gaming is becoming a social hobby, and we crave affirmation from our peers. Thus fights...

True, we do function as reps of sorts. And yeah, those kinds of arguments and debates are why I hate shipping wars or even talking about shipping anymore. It just always seems to result in some uncomfortable derailing argument.

I don't really know you well enough to comment on your character or how you represent your favorite things, but I have noticed some borderline hostility in your opinions that makes me not want to get involved about conversations about stuff you like (like Ike for example). I think that's something to be wary about. And I'm pretty sure that's what some others in this thread were trying to get across.

I understand... I really don't mean to be or sound hostile though, I really don't. Now, if someone just simply started bashing a character or pairing I'm talking about for no reason, I will get hostile and take issue, but otherwise, I don't have a reason to.

But this has always been my main problem. I can't seem to convey my intentions properly. If can just do that better, man...my conversations with people would be so much smoother and have far less arguments, I imagine.

@Integrity Well, I can't even really debate those things because I don't know anything about the band you mentioned and I never played FE4, so... xP

Edited by Anacybele

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

True, we do function as reps of sorts. And yeah, those kinds of arguments and debates are why I hate shipping wars or even talking about shipping anymore. It just always seems to result in some uncomfortable derailing argument.

I understand... I really don't mean to be or sound hostile though, I really don't. Now, if someone just simply started bashing a character or pairing I'm talking about for no reason, I will get hostile and take issue, but otherwise, I don't have a reason to.

But this has always been my main problem. I can't seem to convey my intentions properly. If can just do that better, man...my conversations with people would be so much smoother and have far less arguments, I imagine.

When it comes down to it, honestly anything is possible. The only canon things are things that happen regardless of what the player does. Chrom x Sumia isn't canon even though it's kind of heavily implied at times. I don't even think you can consider Sothe x Micaiah canon because you can break their A support, so they don't automatically end up together. (It's been a long time since I've played RD, so that may be wrong.) It's all up to interpretation. And I think it's really sad when someone hates on someone else's imagination/creativity.

I'll step off my soap box for now. I feel like this thread has gotten really derailed, and I don't want to get into trouble for spam or out of topic stuff. As far as your "unpopular opinions" go, just try to be a good rep. If you honestly think you're having THAT much trouble with your conversations, slow down. Get a proofreader to look over your posts. A second pair of eyes can see things that you can't. Wording is really important, especially on the internet.

2 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

When it comes down to it, honestly anything is possible. The only canon things are things that happen regardless of what the player does. Chrom x Sumia isn't canon even though it's kind of heavily implied at times. I don't even think you can consider Sothe x Micaiah canon because you can break their A support, so they don't automatically end up together. (It's been a long time since I've played RD, so that may be wrong.) It's all up to interpretation. And I think it's really sad when someone hates on someone else's imagination/creativity.

I'll step off my soap box for now. I feel like this thread has gotten really derailed, and I don't want to get into trouble for spam or out of topic stuff. As far as your "unpopular opinions" go, just try to be a good rep. If you honestly think you're having THAT much trouble with your conversations, slow down. Get a proofreader to look over your posts. A second pair of eyes can see things that you can't. Wording is really important, especially on the internet.

Yeah, though the heavy implications of one pairing can be rather irritating when you prefer a different one. Like, I don't dislike Chrom x Sumia, but I prefer Chrom x Olivia. Just an example. But you're right, it's all up to interpretation and player preference. RD's paired endings aren't even canon despite that each character who can get a paired ending only has one option for one (not including Ike and his aren't even real paired endings anyway because there's no romance involved).

Oh yeah, I always try to be a good fan/rep. Slow down... That's a good idea. I was also thinking of writing down words and phrases that would be most appropriate to use in many situations. I definitely learned the hard way that wording is really important on the net.

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, I always try to be a good fan/rep. Slow down... That's a good idea. I was also thinking of writing down words and phrases that would be most appropriate to use in many situations. I definitely learned the hard way that wording is really important on the net.

Soooo important. I recommend getting a proofreader. Might not be the most efficient way to post, but you'll avoid confrontation a bit more that way. Also, it might help with interpretting what other people post. You might consider someone else's words hostile, while another person might not. It also helps you step away from the situation and take a deep breath. But yeah...that's all I have to say on the subject. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Soooo important. I recommend getting a proofreader. Might not be the most efficient way to post, but you'll avoid confrontation a bit more that way. Also, it might help with interpretting what other people post. You might consider someone else's words hostile, while another person might not. It also helps you step away from the situation and take a deep breath. But yeah...that's all I have to say on the subject. Good luck!

Isn't proofreading for things like spelling and punctuation though? Or is it for more than that? Either way, I get the idea, yeah, and I can definitely see what I can do. Thanks.