Knight Lord and FE6 Lord in FE8?

Sayyyaka

In my hack I've replaced Seth with Eliwood and Franz with Roy(and made him a Mercenary).  Initially I was satisfied with them, but I wanted to go further and put in their personal lord animations and classes.  I had already replaced the normal hero with Raven's personal hero sprite from FE7 and have replaced several classes(such as Tent with a promoted Soldier that uses the same animations), so I know how to do it, but I didn't want to make classes that are common with enemies have their lord animations, so I figured I could replace the Journeyman with the FE6 Lord and the Recruit with Knight Lord, since I'm using neither. After going through the process of changing everything in Nightmare and inserting the animations through FEditor Adv, I test the game in VBA and while everything's good on the naming/description/map sprite end, both of them acted as if animations were disabled when I tried to attack with them.

I then started to wonder if this behaviour was the same that prevents the Priests and Shamans in my hack from having animations while using Light magic/Staves, where there might be some sort of weapon lock that Nightmare can't change.  I'm still not sure if that's the case or not, because replacing the female Great Knight with the Knight Lord did trigger the entering battle animation, but it freezes partway.

TL;DR how do I get this to work?

Replacing one animation with another seems to produce funky results sometimes. Have you tried increasing the max index and inserting the animations at the end in FEditor?
Also, did you use the Custom Battle Animation Nightmare module to set up the animation pointers?

1 hour ago, Primefusion said:

Replacing one animation with another seems to produce funky results sometimes. Have you tried increasing the max index and inserting the animations at the end in FEditor?
Also, did you use the Custom Battle Animation Nightmare module to set up the animation pointers?

I've actually done both of these before, but probably wasn't doing it right.

Just now I raised the index, inserted the three animations, and saw them in Nightmare so that worked out well. However, even after messing around with the CBA module and setting their animations it's still freezing for me.

After trying some other things I noticed Eirika causes it to freeze as well, and she isn't edited at all, I guess I messed up all animations instead of it just being the new ones but I don't know what would do that.

Edited by Sayyyaka

Well, let's see if your process is like my process:

1) Get the Knight lord animation by opening FE7 in FEditor. Found the lance animation and hit the 'Dump' button, and grabbed the unarmed animation too (Going to skip the sword for now).
2) Open FE8 in FEditor, went to the Class Animation Editor, and increased the max index by 2 (was 0xC9, now 0xCB).
3) At 0xCA I inserted the Knight Lord's lance animation. At 0xCB I inserted the unarmed. The I saved. Close FEditor now, we don't need it anymore.
4) In Nightmare, I open up the Custom Battle Animation Editor, and set it up like so:
bUKE5J5.png
Make sure you've got 5 0x00 entries at the end, because that denotes the end of the list.
Let's make note that we're on pointer 0x8E60000.
5) Head over to the Class Editor. For the Paladin, I decided to replace the existing battle animation pointer with 0x8E60000.

Two notes:
- If  you have a dropdown for the battle animation pointer, you can open the module in notepad, go to where the Battle Animation Pointer section is, and replace the "NDHU" with "NEHU". Then you'll have a textbox instead of a dropdown.
- I accidentally put 0x88E60000 at first which made the game freeze. Once I changed it to 0x8E60000 everything worked.

1 hour ago, Primefusion said:

Well, let's see if your process is like my process:

1) Get the Knight lord animation by opening FE7 in FEditor. Found the lance animation and hit the 'Dump' button, and grabbed the unarmed animation too (Going to skip the sword for now).
2) Open FE8 in FEditor, went to the Class Animation Editor, and increased the max index by 2 (was 0xC9, now 0xCB).
3) At 0xCA I inserted the Knight Lord's lance animation. At 0xCB I inserted the unarmed. The I saved. Close FEditor now, we don't need it anymore.
4) In Nightmare, I open up the Custom Battle Animation Editor, and set it up like so:
bUKE5J5.png
Make sure you've got 5 0x00 entries at the end, because that denotes the end of the list.
Let's make note that we're on pointer 0x8E60000.
5) Head over to the Class Editor. For the Paladin, I decided to replace the existing battle animation pointer with 0x8E60000.

Two notes:
- If  you have a dropdown for the battle animation pointer, you can open the module in notepad, go to where the Battle Animation Pointer section is, and replace the "NDHU" with "NEHU". Then you'll have a textbox instead of a dropdown.
- I accidentally put 0x88E60000 at first which made the game freeze. Once I changed it to 0x8E60000 everything worked.

I pretty much followed this to a T besides also inserting the sword wielding Knight Lord animation, because I already had them on hand.

First I tried it with Great Knight (F), which was what I was previously replacing: freezes.  Eirika freezes it too.

Then I switched it over to Paladin like you did and it does the same thing, besides resetting on my first try(not sure if that matters or not).

The pointer is correct, I've got the 5 0's for the end of the list, I can't help but think there's something else to it.

EDIT:  When I remove the animation with the sword, it does as you'd expect and attacks but without an animation.  Lance still freezes the game, and I have no idea why Eirika does too.  As I've said, she's completely unedited.

Also, I loaded up a previous version of my rom(before I started on their animations) and did the same thing, it still freezes.

Yet another edit:  Works perfectly with a clean rom.  I don't know what happened in my rom, but if I can't find a solution I guess I'm just going to have to start from scratch.  A bit disheartening, but I now know what I'm doing so that's already a huge improvement from a week ago.  Thank you for the help anyway.

Edited by Sayyyaka