A bunch of ideas for a game i plan to make

Kirb1337

Repost from feu

These are ideas for a game(not an hack)i plan to make one day.

Spoiler

The number of in game stats is reduced : str ,luck, def, res ,possibly mag and spd?

The battle system has been completrly changed : now instead of battle being automated ,you actually have a 10 second fight event where you, well, fight(i was thinking about using the sonic battle(that gba sonic fighting game) battle system)

As for crits, they are decided by a(invisible) bar that increase every time you do an action depending on luck. If said unit has a personnal fighting skill, he will use that skill.

Whoever initiates the fight get a luck event(not decided by the luck stat, this time) where 3 cards get drawn that decides : what happens,When does it happens(beggining of the fight, randomly once during the fight, after the fight) ,and how effective it will be.

During the game, your army will go to different towns, where you can move freely in(like fates' my castle). They will act like a sort of hub, you could accept quests from the villagers, buy weapons, forge, etc.

The main storyline won't be as important as fe games' , as i plan the story to be more about a group of mercenaries doing mercenaries things rather than something like roar dragons evil sorcerers

The actual management of things like money, base, well-being of your team, will be much more important, as you'll have to do thing like pay taxes, make sure your mercs are happy, and buy food/other thing needed to survive

since we're talking about mercenaries, to actually recruit units, most of the time you'll have to recruit them and pay them

This list will most likely be updated with more ideas later

I would probbably use the Unholy War as a model for the battle system rather than Sonic Battle, or even a simpler 2-D variant, ala Archon or Star Control, especially if the battles had a timer. and if I had to do my own programming

I see a speed stat in this system being odd since it would feel much more natural if a character have the same speed throughout the game. I guess it could describe the in-battle movement/rate of different classes, but I don't see that as an RPG stat..

Along these lines, I think connecting the battles with something like Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword sub-mode sounds a lot more "readable" for the player than also having open towns and such 

The setting and character stuff sounds like it's pretty nice though. Your game idaea sounds very exciting.

Edited by Reality

2 hours ago, Reality said:

I would probbably use the Unholy War as a model for the battle system rather than Sonic Battle, or even a simpler 2-D variant, ala Archon or Star Control, especially if the battles had a timer.

I'll try out these games when i can, i just said sonic battle because this was the only example i had in mind 

I see a speed stat in this system being odd since it would feel much more natural if a character have the same speed throughout the game.

Well actually what i meant by a speed stat was something more like a speed level (slow, normal, fast) decided by different attributes such as the character's class, personal build, and currently equiped weapon/armor(example: an unit using a battle axe will go much slower than the same unit would if he had a slim sword)

Along these lines, I think connecting the battles with something like Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword sub-mode sounds a lot more "readable" for the player than also having open towns and such 

I never played SC3, what is chronicles of the sword?

The setting and character stuff sounds like it's pretty nice though. Your game idaea sounds very exciting.

Thanks! 

In soul calibur 3, Chronicles of the sword is basically a separate story mode for the "create-a-charather" instead of the main cast. It had some story, but it was most notable for its gameplay- You fielded a team of units on an field map, moved them around, and when they came into contact with enemies, then the game would just jump into the normal fighting game shtick. I think a few other fighting games did things similar (mortal kombat chess, etc). 

I mention archon from 1983 because It is probably the first game to ever capture the same idea- moving characters in a strategy setting, but being able to fight back in a player controlled thing- I think that say,, SC3 is less restricted, what with archon using a literal chessboard (to a degree). 

Star control and Unholy War might not be the best examples now that I think about it, since they technically have such strategy roots as being able to build units (except on special maps with preeployed ones). On the other hand that could just be seen as a flavor variant of hiring a mercenary, I guess.. although, even if the story wasn't the focus, that might be a bit too depersonalizing.

The older 2-d games of this sub-genre (archon) usually plop units top-down in a kind of "8 way shooter" thing, like you'd expect from robotron/gauntlent/commando/smash tv, etc, except only with one opponent at a time, multiple hit points, and usually a pretty fast character speed, and "arenas" with some degree of cover. While a bit primitive and ugly due to the view it's easier to program than a "brawler" set-up.