FE Fandom listed 4th worst video game community

Yula

As a part of the Souls fandom, that one actually deserves to be high up on lists like this. Definitely higher than FE.

If you even hint that you got some enjoyment out of Dark Souls 2, you'll get about 8 different people jumping down your throat, saying the game was always trash and irredeemable. And anyone who doesn't like the games at all, or doesn't want to even try them out because of the difficulty will just be told to "get gud" a billion times before somebody actually stops and breaks down what's good about the franchise beyond just the difficulty.

Kingdom Hearts and Sonic also should be up there, just because while those fandoms aren't hostile and toxic(Most of the time)... their "weirdness" and rabidness oozes out into so many corners of the internet.

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main area where you'll find 'toxic' people are in the youtube comments (god forbid) and tumblr (I've seen so many fandoms crash and burn) but that's just from my knowledge, just like how the owner of the channel is making an opinionated video based on his opinions, interpretations, and experiences.

I honestly find it strange that Fire Emblem is even on that list - the fanbase has grown exponentially since Awakening but in comparison to all of the other longer running video game fandoms out there, I still see the Fire Emblem fandom as pretty small in comparison.

But I think what gave the fandom spotlight was with all the drama regarding the localization and 'censorship' that went on with Fates. I remember how huge of a deal it was when it was announced that the game didn't have dual audio like Awakening or how people were freaking out over the fact that you can marry your 'siblings' or how people cried wolf when they accused of Intelligent Systems of supporting conversion therapy towards Soleil. There were people, who didn't know anything about Fire Emblem, who were guilt tripping people, telling them how awful they are for supporting such a game - by just taking the facts as is without doing their own research on the game to get more context. Its extreme cases like that where the fandom inevitably ends up in the spotlight and that's what people will work with to form their opinions.

But I'm drawing a blank on how the fandom was 'toxic' before that. Even if there were groups of people arguing with each other, I can't imagine the Fire Emblem fandom getting to the point where the argument is a literal bloodbath of everyone hating each other. 

Edited by carefreejules

2 minutes ago, Falcom said:

You obviously shouldn't take his video too seriously. After all, this is his opinion and he mentioned that this is not an attack on anyone in the description. He is in some way right however. I haven't exactly seen the video yet (nor do I want to waste my time doing so) but the FE fandom knows that there are issues with each other. It's just that neither sides are willing to make the effort to try and fix it (hoping that Intelligent Systems and Echoes will do it for them is not going to do shit).

However, I see no point why this needs to be a video. If it's suppose to be a reminder of, "hey, you guys should start behaving better or else you'll end up on this list." Then it's obviously not going to end well. If not, then well I don't know what is. Again, this is something the communities themselves have to deal with. Having a third-party sort out these issues (I checked rabbidluigi's playlists and he hasn't LP any Fire Emblem) won't necessarily be the solution. Heck, in most cases, I've seen it go downhill from there.

I'm sorry. I do like some of rabbidluigi's content. But this is really unnecessary. In my opinion, there is technically no 'worst community' (despite hearing how toxic league of legends is from my friends).

As a note, I have not kept up with the communities until recently. So I am unaware how people have been mentioning how toxic the community was when Awakening came out.

This is basically how I feel about the whole situation. Especially the part in bold.

I fail to see how a game community can even begin to register as "toxic" when compared with people that argue over John Stewart whether does for the organized left what he claims Fox news does for the right, or heaven forbid, people talking about actual political and religious issues. I mean, once you've had a tin-foil explain to you that Birth control's good points are designed to mask it's true intention of lowering the population of low-income areas (or African-Americans specifically) then pretty much any argument about games being casual/hardcore becomes a source of relief by comparison.

It's just one video but it's kinda a shame that the FE community listed as the 4th worst one. Especially since, if that video starts to pick up steam, even more people will believe that the FE community is toxic.

I'm going to admit, i used to be one of those people. Before I joined Serenes, everywhere I went, there was always complaints about Fire Emblem, particilarly Fates. I was always hearing "Fire Emblem has turned into Weeaboo Emblem" and "Awakening and Fates aren't real Fire Emblem games". Stuff like that gave me a negative view of the community. But recently, I joined Serenes and i am so glad that I was proven wrong. Everyone here is pretty chill with each other and we all respect each other's opinions and such. I wish more people would realize this.

Serenes is one of the least toxic internet communities I've ever been a part of. How often does a thread get locked because people are being shitty to each other? Sounds to me that some people equate "divisive opinons" to "toxicity".

I'd agree with this. I wouldn't say that the FE fandom is as bad as the Sonic, Undertale and Smash Bros. fandoms, but it's still pretty bad.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Just now, NinjaMonkey said:

I'd agree with this. The FE fandom is not as bad as the Sonic, Undertale and Smash Bros. fandoms, but it's still pretty bad..

I wouldn't say the Smash Bros fandom is bad. I mean, some can get pretty vocal when "x character stole y's spot" but it's been a long time since i've seen that.

I've been to two local tournaments and everyone was just having a good time.

I agree with Ninjamonkey. I don't think we're as bad as the Smash or Pokemon fandoms, personally, but we're pretty freaking bad and it's quite sad (rhyme intended).

And I don't even really blame IS for any of it, though I do think they made it worse with Fates because of the whole Conquest vs Birthright thing. They were just trying to save their game series here, and Awakening brought in so many new fans that it ended up being new fans vs old fans. IS didn't intend for this to happen, I'm pretty sure. And then the marriage system in both Awakening and Fates also caused more shipping wars, adding fuel to the fire.

Still, I wouldn't worry about what one guy's video says. I'd honestly only be worried if Nintendo themselves started thinking poorly of us.

#4?

It seemed weird how he went off on a tangent about Sonic before Fire Emblem, which made me confused about who the real #4 is.

Idk, maybe the fans in GameFaqs and YouTube comment sections can get pretty cringey, but Serenes is relatively good about respecting opinions, and most people here will criticize the series/an entry, but not hate it. Generally people here are good about noticing the good and the bad about a game, and I've never seen people disrespect others here either. Reddit isn't bad either, from what I know. 

The real shame is that we were here instead of the Undertale fandom. I'm gonna be shady and say I expected that game before Fire Emblem.

While I like Rabbid's content, (In fact I'm subbed to him, so kill me if you wish) I don't think this video needed to be made.  ZerkmonsterHunter4 made a much better video addressing the problem and trying to bring discussion to how the FE fanbase needs to change or how certain issues could be resolved.  I even made my own video on the subject, but it is probably the 2nd worst thing I ever created (don't watch it).    There are more productive ways to try and improve or to try to lighten the reception of a fanbase than just putting a countdown/top 5 list of the objectively worst ones.  And really, people actually want him to do certain videos.  If enough people vote for certain topics that are interesting or desired enough, he'll do them.  

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I want to say Smash, Overwatch, and Callof Duty were there.  I'm drawing a blank on the other one.

Oh man, League... it is really not pretty. It is not  first on the list for nothing.

Edited by Nym

I don't even mind if FE has a reputation of being a terrible fanbase. If people think you're terrible, then they won't expect anything from you. And if you're not a "terrible" fan, then you shouldn't care what some nobody on the Internet has to say about a fanbase you're a part of. Being the "good" fanbase, the "good" person, only makes it so that there are higher expectations for you and everything you do wrong is a big fucking deal. People expect a bad fanbase to be bad, so it's just business and usual and no one cares.

14 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

While I like Rabbid's content, (In fact I'm subbed to him, so kill me if you wish) I don't think this video needed to be made.  ZerkmonsterHunter4 made a much better video addressing the problem and trying to bring discussion to how the FE fanbase needs to change or how certain issues could be resolved.  I even made my own video on the subject, but it is probably the 2nd worst thing I ever created (don't watch it).    There are more productive ways to try and improve or to try to lighten the reception of a fanbase than just putting a countdown/top 5 list of the objectively worst ones.  And really, people actually want him to do certain videos.  If enough people vote for certain topics that are interesting or desired enough, he'll do them.  

Eh, I'm subbed to him too, maybe I've bumped into you there.  You seem to be subbed to a lot of the same channels as me.

I'll say that if dealing with some annoying fans is the price to pay for not having the FE series for is the price we pay, I can live with it.

As for being part of a "toxic" community, it's like back when I was in grade school, and the teacher would tell at the class for misbehaving.  I knew I didn't do anything wrong myself, so I just sat back and smiled, and let it roll off me.

Jeez, now that I say that, I realize it was over twenty years ago.

6 minutes ago, Nym said:

Oh man, League... it is really not pretty. It is not  first on the list for nothing.

I've heard bad things about LoL, but I never really played it.  Games that require constant attention aren't really possible when you have kids.

As for Undertale, have they died down a bit?  They don't seem as prevalent as they used to be.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Eh, I'm subbed to him too, maybe I've bumped into you there.  You seem to be subbed to a lot of the same channels as me.

I'll say that if dealing with some annoying fans is the price to pay for not having the FE series for is the price we pay, I can live with it.

As for being part of a "toxic" community, it's like back when I was in grade school, and the teacher would tell at the class for misbehaving.  I knew I didn't do anything wrong myself, so I just sat back and smiled, and let it roll off me.

Jeez, now that I say that, I realize it was over twenty years ago.

I've heard bad things about LoL, but I never really played it.  Games that require constant attention aren't really possible when you have kids.

As for Undertale, have they died down a bit?  They don't seem as prevalent as they used to be.

I'm subbed to him too but if I remember correctly, he's not the one who choose his own top 10. It's his subscribers that vote on Twitter or something.

I ''recently'' quit League (recently being today that is), the game is really not fun when you don't have many friends to play with. Between the games, broken items and mastery system, it became really boring and pretty much a waste of time. 

And of course... the community. Oh boy, first rule of league of legends: it's always someone's else fault except yours. 

Competive community can be very toxic at times...

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I'm subbed to him too but if I remember correctly, he's not the one who choose his own top 10. It's his subscribers that vote on Twitter or something.

I ''recently'' quit League (recently being today that is), the game is really not fun when you don't have many friends to play with. Between the games, broken items and mastery system, it became really boring and pretty much a waste of time. 

And of course... the community. Oh boy, first rule of league of legends: it's always someone's else fault except yours. 

Competive community can be very toxic at times...

The first step in fixing a problem is assigning blame.

I used to play WoW, but it requires a bit too much time to stay current.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

If that were the truth, many fandoms would be fixed.

Just now, Thran Starcrod said:

If that were the truth, many fandoms would be fixed.

I was being facetious, but sadly, many act like it's true.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I used to play WoW, but it requires a bit too much time to stay current.

Yeah unfortunately, that won't happen in this game... most of the time.

This is a serious wake-up call. We're getting a reputation, and it's up to us to take action before it's too late.

If you're reading this, please, do whatever you can to make sure that next time, we take the top spot. If you see anyone playing Awakening or Fates in public, call them a casual wimp! If someone buys a Corrin amiibo, slap it out of their hands! If there's any Lucina cosplayers at your next convention, cover them with moths! With everyone's help, we can become known as THE elitist, toxic video game community.

Every fanbase has its good and bad, some are just much louder than others. Being a gamer for near 22 years has had me see varying opinions on pretty much every game and franchise in existence. 

I am however surprised that FF wasn't mentioned considering the near 17 divides that fanbase has. Or the SMT vs Persona group.

Edited by Jedi

tbh most of the things he said can be considered fine, in the case of the awakening fans and fe 1-12 fans...if this were 2013/'14, for me at least, im not very keen on if thats actual for the rest of the community, but honestly i dont give a shit, if he roasts communities, its fine, im also impressed that the like/dislike ratio is pretty weak, a sign that he missed the worse fanbases that go rabid over people not liking them

4 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Serenes is one of the least toxic internet communities I've ever been a part of. How often does a thread get locked because people are being shitty to each other? Sounds to me that some people equate "divisive opinons" to "toxicity".

This, pretty much. Toxic is one of those terms that has become so over- and misused that it's basically lost all meaning, and apparently if there are any even mild splits in the fanbase you qualify as having a "toxic" fandom. Forget the actual toxic fandoms that engage in shitty behavior like harassment, social ostracization and tossing around death threats because you don't fall in lockstep with the larger fandom party line, FE being kinda divided between pre- and post- Awakening fans (apparently those of us like me who like and dislike games from both sides of the split are as the dodo bird) truly clearly means we are toxic and awful.

Edited by AzureSen