Do people these days finish games they buy?

BalancedPro

Yes, I try to. Because I have no money to waste; if I buy a game, you bet I'm gonna finish it eventually

I've even made it a goal for myself now as an adult to complete all my old PS2 games that I had trouble with as a younger kid. As of now, I've finished five of them (Xenosaga 1/2/3, Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy).

Honestly? Lately, I haven't. I think the last one I beat was either Bravely Default or Revelation, and that was back in January/December. I usually play at least some way through a game before I put my attention on another. And then I keep buying more games even though I have many left unbeaten. I suppose I'm just interested in a whole lot of them. But I do intend to beat them at some point, which is why I never sell any game unless it's one I'm REALLY not interested in after all. At least all of these games will keep me busy for a long time.

7 hours ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Hack'n Slash games:

• Only 6.5% of players have beaten Bayonetta on normal mode. 

is this statistic from steam?

because, like, bayonetta was released there a week ago...

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

is this statistic from steam?

because, like, bayonetta was released there a week ago...

Yes, I am aware. I do not have Nier so I could not check those stats so I used Bayonetta.

Edited by SlipperySlippy

On 4/19/2017 at 11:03 AM, Refa said:

Did you even read what I said?  I never claimed that gamers finish most of the games that they purchase.  That's not what I was arguing, nor was it ever what I was arguing for.

I don't read/follow IGN.  Fair enough if the topic was formed because of an IGN article, although that just makes me wonder why that article wasn't linked.

The topic came from a question I heard from a podcast. In that the person mentions how so many amazing games are coming out recently and very close. He mentions hows on social media people will pick up the new game, play it, then move onto the new one never finishing it do to everyone mention and talking about a newer release game. He compared the the length of games from the nes to snes gen to the current gen.

If my opening post or the topic didn't give enough info then I apologize for that.

I haven't finished most games that I bought, and there are games that I bought on 2014 that I haven't even opened yet, unfortunately. My excuse is that, with Steam, it is much easier to get a game for a good price, so it influences buying a lot of games and leaving most alone/not actually finishing those games because there are others that you want to give attention to and you're just one person. I don't know how it applies to consoles because they cost one of your lungs in the inflationland that I unfortunately live on, so I don't even bother with them when I can buy a much better PC for the same price. Also, I'm stuck in the "I have a job that allows me to buy games but I don't have time for playing them anymore" loophole. I also tend to play really long games, particularly RPGs and Grand Strategies like Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis IV, which take days to end and you won't clear everything in the game in just a single playthrough.

tl;dr, sorry clipsey I swear I'll play TITS 2 until the end

Much to my dismay, no.

I actually want to get off my ass and complete some game series (PHOENIX WRIGHT), but I always get interested in other games series and end up leaving the games I want to complete in the dust

Edited by Pixelman

On 4/20/2017 at 3:31 PM, Rapier said:

tl;dr, sorry clipsey I swear I'll play TITS 2 until the end

Just wait, Trails 3rd is coming out on the 3rd of May and Cold Steel 1 & 2 are getting PC ports. We'll pressure you more then :P:

If we are talking about the main story, then generally yes, I finish that in most of the games I get. In fact the only game I didn't even get to the last level (let alone the ending) was Paper Mario RPG several years ago, and that was when I lost a lot of love for the Mario series.

For optional and post-game stuff and/or higher difficulty, it more a no. Foe example:

• I still haven't been to Nuvema Town in Pokémon Black 2,
  • I've lost interest in finishing my Hard-Classic in Awakening,
  • I haven't played anything beyond Hard 1 in Shadow Dragon
  • I haven't received all Heart Containers in Zelda OoT 3DS

It isn't so much that I don't finish the games I buy as much as it is I fail to even start them to begin with. My track record with this is worse on PC than it is on console, because at least I have incentive to play the latter due to higher prices and owning physical copies. With PC, things get a little finicky due to Steam sales, Humble Bundle, and so on. Lastly, I'm a glutton for familiarity, so I often replay the same game or series of games over and over in order to satiate that hunger. 

Back when I was younger, had lots of free time, and didn't know how expansive the gaming world was, I would always finish my video games. It helps that I tend to absolutely love the games I wanted to buy - I can think of only five or so times where I regretted my purchase.

Nowadays though, I have a huge backlog of games. I do intend to start (purchased but other games are taking priority), finish (beat the main story) and complete (varies, but typically means do sidequests, beat superboss, get all achievements, etc.) the games I do own. However, time and immediate interest deter me from doing everything I want to do. This is not even considering games I want to go back and replay at some point...

For some titles in my backlog...

Spoiler

Not Started
- Transistor
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (I intended to start after finished God Eater 2, but now I am in Starcraft II mode...)
- Ys VI

To Finish
- God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Beat the main story arc, need to tackle the Rage Burst storyline.)
- One Finger Death Punch (I have a broken mouse that likes to double click...)
- Ys II (I have a mid-game file.)
- Valkyria Chronicles (Started it due to my initial Valkyria Chronicles binge, but then an obsession with Steins;Gate took over. I still need to get back to this...)
- Star Wars: Empire at War (A fun game and I want to continue playing, but other games take my interest at the moment. It doesn't help that the land battles sorta suck.)
- Darkest Dungeon (Other games have my interest, and I am not a fan of the "insane" mechanic of the flashing disfigured portraits.)

To Complete
- Xenoblade Chronicles (At the end of the main story, but have not finished it yet since I want to do side quests.)
- Xenobalde Chronicles X (Sidequests)