Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Cannot figure out why this error is appearing and ill link screenshots of each layer and its properties and if anyone can figure this out you'll be a lifesaver, thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually this error means that there's a tile on one of the layers that's outside of the X, Y bounds you set. Maybe there's a transparent tile in a layer by accident?
If you post your map we might be able to help troubleshoot this better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Primefusion said:

Usually this error means that there's a tile on one of the layers that's outside of the X, Y bounds you set. Maybe there's a transparent tile in a layer by accident?
If you post your map we might be able to help troubleshoot this better.

 Other than the screenshots I posted in the imgur link, what would help you figure this out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upload the map to a file hosting site like Dropbox and post a link to it (or attach the file in your post). Then we can take a stab at figuring out what's going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Primefusion said:

Upload the map to a file hosting site like Dropbox and post a link to it (or attach the file in your post). Then we can take a stab at figuring out what's going on.

here it is thanks for the fast replies man I appreciate it

map0.tmx

Edited by Sephiran59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your map is wider than you think it is. It's 40 tiles wide but you've only filled in up to the 38th column.

Edited by Primefusion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, that worked

Another problem has occurred though... 

I used the tileset 1000ea12 and chose the right bits in nightmare's chapter data editor, but it still looks all messed up and weird in the game

this screenshot shows that they should match, and i'm confused again, thanks for all the help

s1.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, that I'm not so sure on. It looks fine to me in game. What do you mean by messed up?

Do you have events or anything else in the same area that might be overwriting the map/getting overwritten?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Primefusion said:

Hmm, that I'm not so sure on. It looks fine to me in game. What do you mean by messed up?

Do you have events or anything else in the same area that might be overwriting the map/getting overwritten?

I have no events in yet, just the base prologue events right now. The map looks like it has random tiles in places they should not be like this:

s2.thumb.PNG.243716f248fe90958fca2459367d7e2a.PNG

 

EDIT:

I even made the exact same map in mappy and inserted it and it it looked similarly messed up. I've successfully inserted a map once before so this is really frustrating now

 

s3.PNG.8bc7c725697aef24af2daefb620b752e.PNG

 

I was even able to insert this other map fine, its just the map I actually want that is troubling me wtf

Edited by Sephiran59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some similiar issues earlier. Did you write your map at the offset of the original map? Somtimes that'll mess it up. Try to write it in free space maybe?

oops I see you did write to free space there... my bad. But use Hexditor to double check. You can download a new clean rom and retry as well. Sometimes it's the rom itself cause problem.

Edited by Rindille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rindille said:

I've had some similiar issues earlier. Did you write your map at the offset of the original map? Somtimes that'll mess it up. Try to write it in free space maybe?

oops I see you did write to free space there... my bad. But use Hexditor to double check. You can download a new clean rom and retry as well. Sometimes it's the rom itself cause problem.

Just tried starting from a clean ROM and nothing has changed. It might be worth noting that not only is the map messed up but it also crashes the game. If that means anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sephiran59 said:

Just tried starting from a clean ROM and nothing has changed. It might be worth noting that not only is the map messed up but it also crashes the game. If that means anything

 

That's strange...I'm not sure about it, but here're the steps I usually double check when doing a custom chapter.(Provided that you're using Nightmare and all those stuff. I know there're other methods out there but I haven't experienced them myself)

1. Make maps in Tiled. (double check if your map has problem or not) 2. find the offset I want in free space. 3. use Tiled inserter insert it 3.run rom, you'll see tiles screwed up. 4. open Nightmare, edit chapter data etc. 5. run rom again, if nothing wrong, you'll see your masterpiece there. But in most cases(at least for me), since events mostly won't match map, units on the map will flash a bit and rom stops, but after you insert your own event based on your map, it'll be normal again.

Order is very important. (Find the order suits you best) and hacking itself is quite unsteady. You'll never know if your game will crash next second...:( From my experience, don't open many engine(which can modify your rom) at once, make sure you do the correct order, better write in free space. Don't open two tilesets at the same time in Tiled.

Based on all the discussions before, maybe something wrong with your map? Ditch it and redo another one maybe?

(Haha I wrote a lot stuff. Hope you could find something useful.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rindille said:

That's strange...I'm not sure about it, but here're the steps I usually double check when doing a custom chapter.(Provided that you're using Nightmare and all those stuff. I know there're other methods out there but I haven't experienced them myself)

1. Make maps in Tiled. (double check if your map has problem or not) 2. find the offset I want in free space. 3. use Tiled inserter insert it 3.run rom, you'll see tiles screwed up. 4. open Nightmare, edit chapter data etc. 5. run rom again, if nothing wrong, you'll see your masterpiece there. But in most cases(at least for me), since events mostly won't match map, units on the map will flash a bit and rom stops, but after you insert your own event based on your map, it'll be normal again.

Order is very important. (Find the order suits you best) and hacking itself is quite unsteady. You'll never know if your game will crash next second...:( From my experience, don't open many engine(which can modify your rom) at once, make sure you do the correct order, better write in free space. Don't open two tilesets at the same time in Tiled.

Based on all the discussions before, maybe something wrong with your map? Ditch it and redo another one maybe?

(Haha I wrote a lot stuff. Hope you could find something useful.) 

I'm going to remake the map and take what you said into consideration and see what happens, thanks for that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sephiran59 said:

I'm going to remake the map and take what you said into consideration and see what happens, thanks for that

Welcome. Good luck with your project. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

y1.PNG.73f450bee84d06b99e1b9a35daa1c0be.PNG

HUZZAH I'm in! Thanks both of you for all the help I will never forget it

 

...That being said, I'm 300% positive you'll see more questions from me on here in the future. I am hyped for the moment so thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant find anywhere how to code my map changes into my events can someone help again? Its for this same map. I have all the location based events working and not sure how to make the map change afterwords, thanks.

Edited by Sephiran59
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sephiran59 said:

I cant find anywhere how to code my map changes into my events can someone help again? Its for this same map. I have all the location based events working and not sure how to make the map change afterwords, thanks.

 

Arch's Guide has it. Just look it through and you'll find what you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...