Cosmic Star Heroine

Jedi

Anyone been playing this? It's a great little RPG so far, heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger & Old School Phantasy Star with some Grandia thrown in.

In general the game has a really cool 16-bit and Sega CD/Turbographix aesthetic, I can't help but get drawn in, its made by Zeboyd Games the creators of Cthulhu Saves the World. The characters are all quite enjoyable so far, and the combat is really fun and fast paced for being turn based. 

Might note I said Sega CD & Turbographix throwbacks too, which is seen in cutscenes like this. 

Small overview from the trailer video btw is 

Aliens. Robots. Magic. Forbidden technology. Ruined Worlds. Ghosts. Long-lost secrets. Conspiracies. A galactic threat. And one brave heroine to make things right. Cosmic Star Heroine is an exciting new RPG from Zeboyd Games coming to Playstation 4 and Playstation Vita this summer.

Its on Steam currently which is the version i'm playing.

As an avid fan of Phantasy Star 4, seeing ALYSsa as a main character intrigues me by default. The gameplay looks a lot like CT with an atmosphere of PS2/3/4 (1 doesn't count because it totally lacked atmosphere aside from Lutz kinda). 

That turn order counter is pretty neat to actually see though. I appreciate games with that for battle. 

the music though, I really don't like anything that I heard :/

9b2206f5ddeac83ca9521c0bdd333b69.png
https://gyazo.com/9b2206f5ddeac83ca9521c0bdd333b69

HA

59 minutes ago, Elieson said:

As an avid fan of Phantasy Star 4, seeing ALYSsa as a main character intrigues me by default. The gameplay looks a lot like CT with an atmosphere of PS2/3/4 (1 doesn't count because it totally lacked atmosphere aside from Lutz kinda). 

That turn order counter is pretty neat to actually see though. I appreciate games with that for battle. 

the music though, I really don't like anything that I heard :/

9b2206f5ddeac83ca9521c0bdd333b69.png
https://gyazo.com/9b2206f5ddeac83ca9521c0bdd333b69

HA

Its kind of that basically, I find the characters really nice, (not like Trails in the Sky/Cold Steel tier but enjoyable). 

The music is really good imo, but to each his own, also yeah theres alot of funny little gags/jokes like that in attack names and mook descriptions. 

One point theres a joke that blood on the ground belongs to a man named Chris, an obvious shout out to Resident Evil 1.

7 hours ago, Reality said:

as soon as I heard Zeboyd games all my excitement drained away.

Whys that? This is the first time i'm hearing of someone who doesn't like them so i'm curious.

It's probably that I played Breath of Death berore Cthullu, and it's admittedly their weaker game. 

But in general- I like some ideas they had about streamlining with the random battle system and healing, but I don't like the way they handle hard mode, the level up choices don't end up having as radical an effect on gameplay as you would think going back a second time and always taking the opposite from the first time. Also, even though this game looks more polished than their others I still wonder if it will have as much substance as a regular rpg- I don't think it will be quite as short as their others, but I don't expect more than 13-15 hours tops-  and most importantly- I think the humor is a miss more often than a hit.

I'm interested in this and will get around to it when I have time.

They're not perfect but I quite like Zeboyd, particularly Cthulhu Saves the World (haven't played their Penny Arcade games due to a dislike of Penny Arcade, have played Breath of Death). They do a lot little things I really like in my RPGs these days, like auto-healing between fights, full exp for all characters, relatively low randomness, good documentation ("50% blind" is far more useful than "chance of blind"), etc. And the "enemy strength increases 10%" mechanic is interesting in that it punishes stalling which can be overpowered in these games.

18 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm interested in this and will get around to it when I have time.

They're not perfect but I quite like Zeboyd, particularly Cthulhu Saves the World (haven't played their Penny Arcade games due to a dislike of Penny Arcade, have played Breath of Death). They do a lot little things I really like in my RPGs these days, like auto-healing between fights, full exp for all characters, relatively low randomness, good documentation ("50% blind" is far more useful than "chance of blind"), etc. And the "enemy strength increases 10%" mechanic is interesting in that it punishes stalling which can be overpowered in these games.

Yeah, you want to end fights super quickly in CSH, bosses in particular can get really tough if you let them go.