When is the best time to class change?

Right Away, All the Way.

The only exception is Alm and Celica, getting them to 15+ is great, but not necessary.

This is because of how promotions work in Gaiden (and Echoes), Instead of set stat bonuses on promotion, stats that are below class base are raised to the new class bases, while other stats remain untouched. 

Plus, Characters will have plenty of levels to grow once in their 2nd or 3rd tier. It's common for units to only be in the early levels of tier 3 at endgame.

I am interested in this as well, since in the original it wasn't worth the hours of grind just to clinch a few extra stats after your promotion brought you up to the new bases. But in this remake growths are so much better that promoting as soon as possible may leave you with extremely weak characters struggling to gain EXP on their final class. I guess the ultimate question is did they create a means to level up indefinitely for players that want to max out stats.

It really depends.

In this game, unlike nearly every other fe, promoting as soon as possible really has no cons. Your units will always be somewhat up to par with what is at minimum is expected of them thanks to how promotion gains work.

However, it might not be too bad to go over a few levels. In fact, if you don't mind grinding, go for level 20.

It really is up to the player and if they don't mind grinding, though, the game is completely playable by promoting as soon as, and if you need boosts, you have the plethora of wells in dungeons and also you can get stat boosting items.

But just saying, get Alm and Celica at least 15+ before promotion. Hell, I would just go for 20. No point in not doing it for them.

Edited by Azz

Depends on enemy stats, more than anything.  I'm not sure if anyone has enough information yet to tell you if you should do it any differently than in Gaiden, which always was "do it as soon as you can".  The biggest reason to delay is to make the most out of a unit's growth rates and experience boon as an unpromoted unit, but the growth rates in Gaiden weren't exactly stellar.  They aren't all that great in Echoes either, but they're improved enough that waiting might be feasible, though again that really depends on the enemy changes.

I will say, though, that getting to level 20 every single promotion will probably take a really long time.  Not as long as it would in Gaiden, thanks to pacing improvements, but still quite a while.  It might be fine for two-tier class sets like the pegasus knight or the protagonists' classes, but for villagers especially, you're gonna be grinding to the level cap up to three times.