Chapter 17 (Normal) Questions

Hi, Everyone:

Right now I'm just about finished with Chapter 17-3 (felt a little long), and getting ready for 17-4,  and so a few questions:

In the BEXP guide here, it mentions that to get the max amount  I need to finish all parts in 30 turns total (did 17-1 & 17-2 in 6 each, and 17-3 is fixed at 10), so I can take 8 turns max in 17-4 to get it? or do parts 1 & 2  also have a turn minimum?

What is the easiest way to make sure that Tibarn & Co. don't kill any units (can they be rescued)?

Is there a sure-fire way to steal the Meteor from the unit that has it (making it switch to  Fire instead)?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

On the Meteor question: Assuming the mage doesn't move, if you took Volke/Sothe and had them ferried over via Jill/Marcia to the foe, and kept both units within 1-2 range of the mage and left everyone else outside of Meteor range, you should be able to get it to swap weapons.

Tibarn's NPCs might be rescueable. Unshifted definitely, not so sure about shifted though. It is worth noting that they don't show up until you cross an invisible vertical line that runs about halfway through the map. So get everyone (save anyone you're leaving behind to deal with the reinforcements that show up in the starting area) just to the right of the narrowest traversable area at the very bottom. Said invisible line however bends a little around the Meteor mage, meaning you can kill/steal from it without summoning Tibarn.

On 4/22/2017 at 6:00 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the Meteor question: Assuming the mage doesn't move, if you took Volke/Sothe and had them ferried over via Jill/Marcia to the foe, and kept both units within 1-2 range of the mage and left everyone else outside of Meteor range, you should be able to get it to swap weapons.

Tibarn's NPCs might be rescueable. Unshifted definitely, not so sure about shifted though. It is worth noting that they don't show up until you cross an invisible vertical line that runs about halfway through the map. So get everyone (save anyone you're leaving behind to deal with the reinforcements that show up in the starting area) just to the right of the narrowest traversable area at the very bottom. Said invisible line however bends a little around the Meteor mage, meaning you can kill/steal from it without summoning Tibarn.

Well, after trying for a couple of days, so far no dice on getting the Meteor, since I can't get close enough to get it before he uses it (which defeat the purpose, since I wanted it unused), and even putting a unit right next to the Mage, he simply doesn't switch weapons, Sigh, it was worth a shot at least.

Fortunately, Tibarn & the NPCs can be rescued even shifted, which makes it easier (although he still manages to kill the Soldier guarding the Meteor mage).

Now to finish it up, thanks for the help!

• 4 weeks later...

That mage is meant to either be killed quickly with a longbow or avoided, I can't think of a way to get him to switch weapons since disarm doesn't appear until Radiant Dawn.

As for Tibarn, yeah, generals and paladins can rescue the birds in either form to keep them from stealing your precious exp. Especially helpful if you want to get the adept scroll from the guy near the boss. It is worth noting, however, the birds will not attack the boss (or at least they never have for me) so if all else fails, you still get boss exp.

Regarding completion time, you seem to have figured it out, but this level has very few reinforcements, and since you just have to kill the boss to win, it's a lot easier to complete quickly than a rout or defend for 10 turns chapter.