Jump to content
Rapha666br

Just finished FE4, I need help to start FE5

Recommended Posts

So, that's it. The other day I was asking help to start FE4( I finished, and loved it) and now I want it for FE5.
First of all, what's the best translation for FE5? And where can I get it? I am asking this because I played FE4 and it wasn't project Naga...ended up with a untranslated ending and bad translated weapon names.
Any tips for someone who just beat Geneology of the Holy war to get into this game?
I have read a lot about it already, the inifinite range staffs are scaring me...
Anyway, I have already beaten Radiant Dawn, wich is probably the most complex game of the series( and probably the second hardest, Thracia 776 considered the first one), so I am not too scared. Any tips to get into, what should I do, when should I save, what I should NEVER do, would be apreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll leave the translations to somebody else.

But some general tips:

- Capture every boss you can. Sometimes they lead to special chapters, and you can steal their shit. Never "release" bosses you plan on capturing. You can release everyone else.

- ALWAYS make sure Leif escapes last during "Escape" chapters.

- Those scrolls you keep finding increase(Occasionally decrease) your stat growths. For example, the Odo Scroll, the first scroll you can get, increases the total skill growth of whoever is holding it by 30%. They also stack, so they should always be in circulation among your units, or give them all to Leif.

- Leif's Lightbrand can be used as a vulnerary in last resort scenarios.

- Use Orsin/Othin. His growths are good, but his PCC is off the charts. PCC in this game is a special stat that determines the chance of a unit getting a critical hit on counterhits. Orsin's one of the few units with "effectively" max PCC in the game. If I recall, it's also a multiplier, so somebody like Othin, who has high PCC stars+Wrath, benefits more from high-crit weapons than other units with less PCC stars. He also gets a unique axe in the very first chapter that has 1-2 range AND a 30% crit ratio, meaning that he'll basically be critting nonstop. Orsin is a good candidate for scrolls, too, since anything that can increase his effectiveness is something you should work for. In the same vein, Tanya has an innate support with Orsin that boosts him even more, so she's worth investing in.

- Despite everything I've just said, cycle your units and spread EXP around. Fatigue is a problem in the game, so benching your favorite units from time to time to let them rest will be for the better. Orsin, for example, has a buddy named Halvan. Halvan is also a good, very solid unit. Giving him some love will give you two very good units in the long run, and you won't be stuck in a situation where suddenly you're without this core unit of your team. Machyua is another solid Orsin substitute that you get fairly early.

- Give all of your important shit to Leif and Lifis before you finish chapter 3(You can keep stuff like the Pugi on Orsin, but make sure you get your scrolls and stat items). Don't ask why, just do it.

- Feel free to take a break if you get frustrated. It's a tough game, especially for new players. It can feel like a constant beat down if you try to push through, because if you feel like you've overcome the game's sucker punches, there'll be another one waiting right around the corner.

- Make sure you keep Nanna alive at least until chapter 14, and make sure she visits a very certain house to get a very certain unit.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slumber said:

- Use Orsin/Othin. His growths are good, but his PCC is off the charts. PCC in this game is a special stat that determines the chance of a unit getting a critical hit on counterhits. Orsin's one of the few units with max PCC in the game.

While I highly, highly agree with this, Othin/Orsin's PCC isn't max, only 3. That said, Wrath, a skill he has, makes his PCC meaningless, since he'll ALWAYS crit on his counterattack/second attack.

 

Also, when ending Chapter 3, also make sure to only have 13 items instead of 14 between Leif and Lifis. Again, don't ask why, just do it.

Edited by Emerson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get enough S-Drinks eventually to remove Fatigue almost entirely, but yeah at first it can be troublesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emerson said:

While I highly, highly agree with this, Othin/Orsin's PCC isn't max, only 3.That said, Wrath essentially gives him 5 PCC anyways.

Right, always forget he has Wrath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slumber said:

- Make sure you keep Nanna alive at least until chapter 14, and make sure she visits a very certain house to get a very certain unit.

I see what you did there. :P

-Also, those scrolls that increase growths also prevent the unit being criticaled (unless the enemy has wrath. Few enemies do). So they can also be useful for a unit who's holding the front line on an enemy phase as well.

-You're limited on promotion items for most of the game, so you'll want to figure out who in your party should promote and who you'll either wait on or not promote at all (some units won't need to promote from their base class to be fair). Also, prepromotes are certainly useable in this game.

As for translations, I used the one that's linked in the general patches thread. That one works to the end, but it is still buggy, and the preparations menu can be confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dayni said:

I see what you did there. :P

-Also, those scrolls that increase growths also prevent the unit being criticaled (unless the enemy has wrath. Few enemies do). So they can also be useful for a unit who's holding the front line on an enemy phase as well.

-You're limited on promotion items for most of the game, so you'll want to figure out who in your party should promote and who you'll either wait on or not promote at all (some units won't need to promote from their base class to be fair). Also, prepromotes are certainly useable in this game.

As for translations, I used the one that's linked in the general patches thread. That one works to the end, but it is still buggy, and the preparations menu can be confusing.

Aren't prepromotes like FE4? If so they are tottaly  worth It.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jedi said:

You get enough S-Drinks eventually to remove Fatigue almost entirely, but yeah at first it can be troublesome.

OK, that's Nice. But can I give exp to everyone like in FE4? I know the answer is probably not, but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rapha666br said:

OK, that's Nice. But can I give exp to everyone like in FE4? I know the answer is probably not, but still.

Nah, however, due to lower stat caps, most characters are easily usable even if they "fall behind".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2017 at 3:13 AM, Slumber said:

I'll leave the translations to somebody else.

But some general tips:

- Capture every boss you can. Sometimes they lead to special chapters, and you can steal their shit. Never "release" bosses you plan on capturing. You can release everyone else.

- ALWAYS make sure Leif escapes last during "Escape" chapters.

- Those scrolls you keep finding increase(Occasionally decrease) your stat growths. For example, the Odo Scroll, the first scroll you can get, increases the total skill growth of whoever is holding it by 30%. They also stack, so they should always be in circulation among your units, or give them all to Leif.

- Leif's Lightbrand can be used as a vulnerary in last resort scenarios.

- Use Orsin/Othin. His growths are good, but his PCC is off the charts. PCC in this game is a special stat that determines the chance of a unit getting a critical hit on counterhits. Orsin's one of the few units with "effectively" max PCC in the game. If I recall, it's also a multiplier, so somebody like Othin, who has high PCC stars+Wrath, benefits more from high-crit weapons than other units with less PCC stars. He also gets a unique axe in the very first chapter that has 1-2 range AND a 30% crit ratio, meaning that he'll basically be critting nonstop. Orsin is a good candidate for scrolls, too, since anything that can increase his effectiveness is something you should work for. In the same vein, Tanya has an innate support with Orsin that boosts him even more, so she's worth investing in.

- Despite everything I've just said, cycle your units and spread EXP around. Fatigue is a problem in the game, so benching your favorite units from time to time to let them rest will be for the better. Orsin, for example, has a buddy named Halvan. Halvan is also a good, very solid unit. Giving him some love will give you two very good units in the long run, and you won't be stuck in a situation where suddenly you're without this core unit of your team. Machyua is another solid Orsin substitute that you get fairly early.

- Give all of your important shit to Leif and Lifis before you finish chapter 3(You can keep stuff like the Pugi on Orsin, but make sure you get your scrolls and stat items). Don't ask why, just do it.

- Feel free to take a break if you get frustrated. It's a tough game, especially for new players. It can feel like a constant beat down if you try to push through, because if you feel like you've overcome the game's sucker punches, there'll be another one waiting right around the corner.

- Make sure you keep Nanna alive at least until chapter 14, and make sure she visits a very certain house to get a very certain unit.

I knew half of this as I watched some vídeos on YouTube, but you detailed way more and I apreciate It. Seems like I won't be able to do an unspoiled run as you mentioned another certain unit needs another certain one to visit a house to get recruitment. Specialy If there are other units to get this way, as the games not always show you How to do It( Ayra in FE4, and Hannabel too, huh...). I did do half of FE4 blinded though, after I got hang of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rapha666br said:

I knew half of this as I watched some vídeos on YouTube, but you detailed way more and I apreciate It. Seems like I won't be able to do an unspoiled run as you mentioned another certain unit needs another certain one to visit a house to get recruitment. Specialy If there are other units to get this way, as the games not always show you How to do It( Ayra in FE4, and Hannabel too, huh...). I did do half of FE4 blinded though, after I got hang of the game.

There are a few tricky recruits in FE5, and some of them involve using capture. But most of them are pretty straight forward/traditional. The one I mentioned sucks the most, simply because if you visit the house with the wrong unit, you don't get a new unit. There's really no warning that you need to visit that house with a specific character.

Most of the ones that aren't just units that join you automatically are "Hey, this enemy unit looks familiar. Talk to them with the one that makes the most sense."

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A certain thief gets a special promotion in a certain gaiden chapter. It's not game-breaking or necessary, but I find these units really nice.

There's a lot of Gaiden chapters in this game. Thankfully, most of the time, the conditions aren't too difficult to achieve. Just be aware of fatigue though.

Spoiler

Enemy dancers are a thing. I didn't find them too problematic though.

 

Edited by Dandy Druid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for translations, this game does not have a complete translation. THe one everyone uses translates all story text, but leaves menu options giberish. It's still compleatly playable, though (you soon learn what combo of kanji, glitch characters, and random letters represents what. (there is also a patch that ONLY translates menus, but no one uses it.) The patch can be found here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1046/ Note that there are several versions of the game floating around (the NP version, and the ROM version, with or without headers. confusingly, rom files can be eather version) useing lunar ips (or a similar ips patcher) try the various patches at the download link i gave you untill you find one that does not break the rom. they all give you the same result for different starting rom files.

Edited by sirmola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

A certain thief gets a special promotion in a certain gaiden chapter. It's not game-breaking or necessary, but I find these units really nice.

There's a lot of Gaiden chapters in this game. Thankfully, most of the time, the conditions aren't too difficult to achieve. Just be aware of fatigue though.

  Hide contents

Enemy dancers are a thing. I didn't find them too problematic though.

 

dancers, oh god

 

10 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

A certain thief gets a special promotion in a certain gaiden chapter. It's not game-breaking or necessary, but I find these units really nice.

There's a lot of Gaiden chapters in this game. Thankfully, most of the time, the conditions aren't too difficult to achieve. Just be aware of fatigue though.

  Hide contents

Enemy dancers are a thing. I didn't find them too problematic though.

 

I wi

 

6 hours ago, sirmola said:

As for translations, this game does not have a complete translation. THe one everyone uses translates all story text, but leaves menu options giberish. It's still compleatly playable, though (you soon learn what combo of kanji, glitch characters, and random letters represents what. (there is also a patch that ONLY translates menus, but no one uses it.) The patch can be found here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1046/ Note that there are several versions of the game floating around (the NP version, and the ROM version, with or without headers. confusingly, rom files can be eather version) useing lunar ips (or a similar ips patcher) try the various patches at the download link i gave you untill you find one that does not break the rom. they all give you the same result for different starting rom files.

I will try downloading and see what I get, thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sirmola said:

As for translations, this game does not have a complete translation. THe one everyone uses translates all story text, but leaves menu options giberish. It's still compleatly playable, though (you soon learn what combo of kanji, glitch characters, and random letters represents what. (there is also a patch that ONLY translates menus, but no one uses it.) The patch can be found here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1046/ Note that there are several versions of the game floating around (the NP version, and the ROM version, with or without headers. confusingly, rom files can be eather version) useing lunar ips (or a similar ips patcher) try the various patches at the download link i gave you untill you find one that does not break the rom. they all give you the same result for different starting rom files.

OK, so I downloaded the patch. Downloaded some random unhacked rom that I found on google. Downloaded Lunar ips, clcked the NP patch( Honestly I have no idea what are those) and the game worked in english. starting menu is english. Did everything right? I didn't try the ROM and the H-ROM ones.

Edited by Rapha666br
Mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rapha666br said:

OK, so I downloaded the patch. Downloaded some random unhacked rom that I found on google. Downloaded Lunar ips, clcked the NP patch( Honestly I have no idea what are those) and the game worked in english. starting menu is english. Did everything right? I didn't try the ROM and the H-ROM ones.

THat sounds right. You must have gotten the NP version then. I think the startig menue was translated. It's things like the battle preperations and inventory menues that are not. And here i was gearing up for a lengthy trubbleshooting session

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sirmola said:

THat sounds right. You must have gotten the NP version then. I think the startig menue was translated. It's things like the battle preperations and inventory menues that are not. And here i was gearing up for a lengthy trubbleshooting session

That sounds troublesome. Hope I don't acidentaly drop any item LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rapha666br said:

Just a question. The game intro mentions King Lenster. I thought it was a kingdom, not a king. I can't find anything about king lenster on the wikia,

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Calf

Here's a link (Calf's a name not given in the game, btw). There's a bit on SF that was translated from one of the books that gives a bit of story involving the guy, but other than that nothing much to bring up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dayni said:

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Calf

Here's a link (Calf's a name not given in the game, btw). There's a bit on SF that was translated from one of the books that gives a bit of story involving the guy, but other than that nothing much to bring up.

That clarifies it. Those translations confuse me. Not to menton the story explanation isn't very good in FE4. Hope FE5 is better( I know both games had manuals explaining stuff)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone translate the stats menu for me? I  tried looking for one, but didn't find one. Also would like one for the battle preparations menu, and other key fuctions of the game if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Order, IIRC

Spoiler

35-FE5_(2)089.png

  • Level
  • HP
  • Atk
  • Def
  • Hit
  • Crit
  • Attack Speed (always check this one first)

In this case, Glade does 12 damage, doubles and has an 11% chance at crit (not really because PCC) and the enemy won't do anything to him and will most likely miss anyways.

Here are a few of my personal experiences: Don't be conservative about the Repair staff, it has 5 full uses for a reason and the Light Brand and Pugi are definitely great places to use them as soon as they are close to breaking or outright break (broken weapons are not removed from your inventory). Knight's Proofs to promote units are actually a very restricted resource so make sure whoever gets them makes good use of the stats boost. Karin, for instance, might be better off just with the Wrath Skill (you get a scroll) than promoted.
Don't feel discouraged by fatigue, but do manage your staffers. Early on you get Safy and Nanna and you should alternate between them as necessary. Later you get a crapload of staffers and it's all fine.

Save the brave weapons for when you want to capture stuff, specially enemies with cool weapons (there is a swordmaster with a very early killing edge during the early escapes and a brave sword you get in 4x is the key to get it). Staves can miss, but the hitrate is set by skill and at 12 Skill the staves have 100% skills. Healing staves might also double. Only the Brave Lance is a Prf weapon, the others are free to everyone.

Even if a unit falls of mid game and you drop them, but they still have moderately good stats (12-15~) then they're most likely useful for dealing with just the normal enemies. I recommend promoting around level 15 so you maximize the stats you get from promotion. Mages should all promote at level 10. All of them, specially Sara and Assvel.

Brighton is the most broken shit I've ever seen when it comes to a mounted units. Seth has nothing on him. Holy shit that guy, make sure you use him and his waifu. Speaking of which, if you find a waifu, feed scrolls to her and make yourself the happiest player ever. Mine was Machuya and I am 100% happy with her, brought her to the endgame and all.

Edited by SalShich10N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SalShich10N said:

In Order, IIRC

  Hide contents

35-FE5_(2)089.png

  • Level
  • HP
  • Atk
  • Def
  • Hit
  • Crit
  • Attack Speed (always check this one first)

In this case, Glade does 12 damage, doubles and has an 11% chance at crit (not really because PCC) and the enemy won't do anything to him and will most likely miss anyways.

Here are a few of my personal experiences: Don't be conservative about the Repair staff, it has 5 full uses for a reason and the Light Brand and Pugi are definitely great places to use them as soon as they are close to breaking or outright break (broken weapons are not removed from your inventory). Knight's Proofs to promote units are actually a very restricted resource so make sure whoever gets them makes good use of the stats boost. Karin, for instance, might be better off just with the Wrath Skill (you get a scroll) than promoted.
Don't feel discouraged by fatigue, but do manage your staffers. Early on you get Safy and Nanna and you should alternate between them as necessary. Later you get a crapload of staffers and it's all fine.

Save the brave weapons for when you want to capture stuff, specially enemies with cool weapons (there is a swordmaster with a very early killing edge during the early escapes and a brave sword you get in 4x is the key to get it). Staves can miss, but the hitrate is set by skill and at 12 Skill the staves have 100% skills. Healing staves might also double. Only the Brave Lance is a Prf weapon, the others are free to everyone.

Even if a unit falls of mid game and you drop them, but they still have moderately good stats (12-15~) then they're most likely useful for dealing with just the normal enemies. I recommend promoting around level 15 so you maximize the stats you get from promotion. Mages should all promote at level 10. All of them, specially Sara and Assvel.

Brighton is the most broken shit I've ever seen when it comes to a mounted units. Seth has nothing on him. Holy shit that guy, make sure you use him and his waifu. Speaking of which, if you find a waifu, feed scrolls to her and make yourself the happiest player ever. Mine was Machuya and I am 100% happy with her, brought her to the endgame and all.

Thanks for the help.

Still confused about capturing. You have to atack first? Or can I get them at full hp?

Edited by Rapha666br

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You capture the enemy when you defeat them (having chosen "capture", of course)

You should already know by now that you need higher build than your target, and attempting to capture halves your stats. However, you cannot capture mounted units without somehow putting them to sleep first.(There's actually a mounted, recruitable character you must capture via sleep, but it's nothing to worry about early on)

You can capture enemies without a fight only if they have no weapon equipped, otherwise, you fight... though it's obviously recommended to weaken your target before attempting to capture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capturing in a Nuthsell:

When you order a capture, you're having your unit fight the enemy with reduced stats to the same effect as if they're fighting with someone "rescued". During this weakened fight, your character has to reduce the enemy'so health to 0 to successfully capture. Unless the enemy has no weapon to fight back with, those are captured instantly.

 

To capture, you need higher BLD stat than the enemy you're trying to capture. Mounted enemies cannot be captured unless you dismount them (I think sleep status will dismount them).

The last thing to consider about capturing/rescuing is that there is a movement penalty if the unit held is heavy. That calculation may be in the calculations page on the site, I forget what it is but it may be that if captured/rescued unit's BLD is greater than half of Capturer/Rescuer's BLD, they'll suffer the penalty.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...