Can somebody provide a summary of character's personalities?

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Better or worse than Maribelle?

Spoiler

Pretty much because of the Rigelian famine, there was a massive insurrection in Fernand's family territory which led to the deaths of parents, older sister and younger brother and sister. So because of this Fernand is extremely hostile towards commoners.

Yeah, I would say it's better than Maribelle.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Who on earth would recruit that bloke.

Me. I mean, at least once, just to see what he's like. After that, i'll recruit Sonia in every playthrough.

1 minute ago, Azz said:
  Hide contents

Pretty much because of the Rigelian famine, there was a massive insurrection in Fernand's family territory which led to the deaths of parents, older sister and younger brother and sister. So because of this Fernand is extremely hostile towards commoners.

Yeah, I would say it's better than Maribelle.

I really disagree with you.

Spoiler

You start blaming commoners for killing people in desperation when their social status has nothing to do with it, only their access to resources? 

It makes much more sense for someone like Maribelle who just unconsciously looks down on people because she grew up incredibly isolated and without ever meeting commoners, or hell, even having friends.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Me. I mean, at least once, just to see what he's like. After that, i'll recruit Sonia in every playthrough.

Sounds good, but he'd be the fourth Mercenary on your team, and he drops his sword anyway.

1 minute ago, Azz said:

Also, @Thane you do rescue Tatiana

Reveal hidden contents

You rescue her from Nuibaba.

Holy shit, I completely forgot about that. So, wait, Faye is literally the only girl on Alm's team you don't have to save? Wow.

34 minutes ago, Thane said:

Me.

After seeing his redesign, I'm picking Deen.

Every. Single. Time.

Mages are also redundant on Celica's route, and the rest of the world is picking Sonia so I'll give the poor bloke some love.

Tbh the most mileage gotten out of either is the map you choose to play, and I enjoy fighting Sonia more than using her.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Me.

Ah, ChibiToastExplosion, my archnemesis. Of course you would recruit Deen. You are the Moriarty to my Sherlock Holmes, the Zuko to my Aang, the Deen to my Sonia.

Just now, Thane said:

Ah, ChibiToastExplosion, my archnemesis. Of course you would recruit Deen. You are the Moriarty to my Sherlock Holmes, the Zuko to my Aang, the Deen to my Sonia.

I've made archnemesis status now? :p I honestly hope you aren't offended from before

To be clear I like Sonia's new design too, I just think Deen knocks it out of the park.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I honestly hope you aren't offended from before

I genuinely don't know what you're referring to. I'm not very easy to offend most of the time, though I can get passionate when it comes to a good debate. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was nothing.

I also really just wanted to go on that mini rant.

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

To be clear I like Sonia's new design too, I just think Deen knocks it out of the park.

I care more about Deen's sword in Saber's hands than how either Deen or Sonia look. Really, the game supplies you with quite a bit of eye candy.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

Zuko and Aang were bros, though

However, I agree with you, Sonia's hips and Magic over Deen's #edge any day

Just now, Thane said:

I care more about Deen's sword in Saber's hands than how either Deen or Sonia look. Really, the game supplies you with quite a bit of eye candy.

Haha fair enough! I can always use a nemesis, so have at you!

This is in fact, true; and also why I argue that Luthier is the best character in the game because dayum fruit by the foot is in style. And, of course, Zeke. I can't really think of a design I don't like, other than the villains.

5 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

This is in fact, true; and also why I argue that Luthier is the best character in the game because dayum fruit by the foot is in style. And, of course, Zeke. I can't really think of a design I don't like, other than the villains.

I'm not as sold on the designs as most seem to be. I really quite like them, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of minor things that bug me. The literal metal bras so many women have is one thing that bothers me - don't they know they've got important organs that need protecting further down? Why not just go all style like Jesse if you're just going to protect such a small part of the body?

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I'm not as sold on the designs as most seem to be. I really quite like them, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of minor things that bug me. The literal metal bras so many women have is one thing that bothers me - don't they know they've got important organs that need protecting further down? Why not just go all style like Jesse if you're just going to protect such a small part of the body?

Unfortunately, that seems to be a larger problem in all of fantasy. I wish it wasn't so as well, as armor like that tends to be more dangerous than helpful. I just love the water colored feel, and the character's don't feel as "sharp" as those in the past two. Echoes has its own feel, and I love it for that.

I'm all for Deen going full Jesse

Here's a negative (satirical) summary:

Spoiler

Alm- overzealous asshole

Celica- too innocent

Gray- sloppy seconds

Tobin- lol your name was stolen

Kliff- weak start

Faye- do I even need to say this?

Lukas- fire crotch

Silque- Shut up, Silque

Clive- "Clive" can be a corruption of "to cleave". Sadly, it doesn't describe his in-game performance

Clair- the original Catria 2.0. Even funnier that the original is in the game.

Luthier- outdone by his little sister who's nearly a decade younger.

Delthea- snot-nosed brat

Forsyth- uptight worrywart

Python- pessimist

Mathilda- pegs Clive

Tatiana- Florence Nightingale Syndrome

Zeke- literally perfect. I can't bring myself to roast him.

Mycen- likes little kids a little too much

Mae- never calms down

Boey- accidently burns himself with his own magic

Genny- typical shy pretty girl

Saber- prays on little girls

Valbar- his chin couldn't open my beer. FAKEEEEEE

Leon- was made into a stereotype.

Kamui- sleepy

Palla- lol she's perfect

Catria- really depressed. Someone get her help.

Est- insecurity issues

Atlas- was pretty useless but everyone will use him because he's apparently a "daddy" now. I call MISOGYNY 

Jesse- the more handsome, but not as knightly Arthur

Sonia- has a shit family

Deen- 3edgy5me

Nomah- gila monster

Conrad- this explains my thoughts best:

Rudolf- You know his country is shit when his crown is made out of paper mache.

New Villains- See Conrad

Judah- ROTTED

Nuibaba- wants to "convert" women into what she wants

Slayde- that crazy old uncle in your family that's never married but what you don't know is that he's served jail time and may or may not be a sex offender.

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Unfortunately, that seems to be a larger problem in all of fantasy. I wish it wasn't so as well, as armor like that tends to be more dangerous than helpful. 

I've heard spiked armor is really practical and not at all bothersome to travel in.

3 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I just love the water colored feel, and the character's don't feel as "sharp" as those in the past two.

Indeed, though I like both. There are always hit and miss characters, but the style is great. 

4 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I'm all for Deen going full Jesse

Call me if that happens to Catria or Mathilda, though Mathilda's got a special image of her in a completely nonsensical and seductive pose before she's recruited, so hey, that's always something.

18 minutes ago, Thane said:

Hidari has a strange affinity for the chest armor. Really emphasizing the "breast" in breastplate. Breastplates should really cover your whole torso, but alas, it's a videogame. Seems like a tradeoff for the lack of cleavage in this game. Stylistically, they're well-detailed and have texture, but definitely not practical. But Fire Emblem hasn't exactly been one for practicality. It's definitely more conservative than Fates, which had a ton of cleavage. More than FE4, where most of the female characters had their bare legs exposed (open slit dresses must have been the Jugdralian style I guess).

2 hours ago, Thane said:

He has a cool design and seems like he has an interesting history. Also, he's a far better unit than Sonia.

On 25/04/2017 at 1:48 AM, Thane said:

... Is it wrong if I thought about YGOTAS before anything else ?
Dean ? More like.... Dead ! Ah ah ! Ah...

Sonya and Mathilda make me swoon my poor waifu-seeking heart. So pwetty in every way.

On 25/04/2017 at 2:15 AM, Thane said:

Call me if that happens to Catria or Mathilda, though Mathilda's got a special image of her in a completely nonsensical and seductive pose before she's recruited, so hey, that's always something.

She went full... frontal.( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Is that bad if I thought that Clair was rather erotic as well in her CG ?

Edited by B.Leu

On 2017-04-24 at 11:05 PM, Bowbow said:

Also, he's a far better unit than Sonia.

To be fair to Sonya, she outclasses Mae as a Magic attacker, and when promoted, she gains the ability to use swords, specifically the Lady Sword, which doubles Mt during combat. Considering Sonya already has a gigantic Power stat, she dishes out disgusting damage with that sword without sacrificing accuracy, which Mae would, and that's not even mentioning her crit rate with Excalibur (Deen's crit rate is bonkers too, but he has to risk getting hit to pull it off, while Sonya can just potshot without fear). Sonya also has quite a bit of plot importance. 

As for Deen, he loses out on the range that Sonya's class brings, and he's forced to deal damage towards only Defense, while Sonya can split between Physical and Magical at will (when promoted). Deen has to compete with Saber, Jesse, Kamui, and maybe even Atlas, to make a mark (with at least 2 of those being really great units on their own), while Sonya only really has to compete with Mae (Mae can deal with monsters far better, but Sonya is all around more useful). You can also never have too many mages.

Of course, it all boils down to personal choice, and Deen does have a fantastic design, plus is a great unit in his own right, but saying he's better than Sonya for a scarce few reasons is just nepotistic. 

2 hours ago, BlizzardWolf95 said:

To be fair to Sonya, she outclasses Mae as a Magic attacker, and when promoted, she gains the ability to use swords, specifically the Lady Sword, which doubles Mt during combat. Considering Sonya already has a gigantic Power stat, she dishes out disgusting damage with that sword without sacrificing accuracy, which Mae would, and that's not even mentioning her crit rate with Excalibur (Deen's crit rate is bonkers too, but he has to risk getting hit to pull it off, while Sonya can just potshot without fear). Sonya also has quite a bit of plot importance. 

As for Deen, he loses out on the range that Sonya's class brings, and he's forced to deal damage towards only Defense, while Sonya can split between Physical and Magical at will (when promoted). Deen has to compete with Saber, Jesse, Kamui, and maybe even Atlas, to make a mark (with at least 2 of those being really great units on their own), while Sonya only really has to compete with Mae (Mae can deal with monsters far better, but Sonya is all around more useful). You can also never have too many mages.

Of course, it all boils down to personal choice, and Deen does have a fantastic design, plus is a great unit in his own right, but saying he's better than Sonya for a scarce few reasons is just nepotistic. 

Yeah, no denying Sonya is good, I just think Deen is better imo. His bases are a lot better (32/13/17/17/6/9/4 vs 24/13/11/12/4/5/12) and her resistance advantage goes away when Deen promotes due to dread fighter skills. Speaking of which, dread fighters are crazy good and arguably the best class in the game. Deen also has the advantage of having more movement than Sonya. People tend to say "oh well he's just another myrmidon/dread fighter" like it's a negative, but given how they're really good, it's hardly the case. Also, he's one of the better ones, maybe the best one on par with Saber.

I'll go the extra mile and try to provide a bit more detailed description for most of the playable characters. Note that this represents their JP personalities and not whatever might happen in the localization, and my opinions and interpretations may differ from someone else's. Some character development spoilers included to elaborate my points. Really long wall of text.

Oh, and for the record, Lady Sword Sonia over Dean. Not only do you have that, but she also has 2 and 3 range magic, plus healing when she promotes. You can never have enough healers.

Spoiler

Alm - While some comment on him being less manly or "savage" compared to how he was in Awakening (because let's be honest, he didn't exactly have any sort of personality in Gaiden, just like most of the cast), I like the Echoes Alm. He still gets pissed at his enemies when given no other option, and his reluctance to fight but realization that full-scale war against Rigel is the only way to resolve the crisis makes for an interesting leader character. The recurring reference to him being "Mycen's grandson" or "Nothing but a commoner" makes for some great ironic situations when his true identity is revealed both to him and everyone else. Marching into Rigel Castle and having all the soldiers salute Alm as their Prince is pretty heartrending after what he was forced to do just moments ago. His reluctance to fight Berkut by the end is also understandable, as he's the last remaining living relative Alm has. He regrets losing his entire family for the sake of the greater good, but knows he has to push through for everyone's sake. Try putting yourself in the kid's shoes, he takes it like a champ if you ask me.

Gray - Alm side's token bro character, and he's really likable. Speaks in a casual manner and is the first to notice that Alm and Celica are different from all the other characters from Ram Village. Pesters Claire about liking her in a persistent, but really simple way. A straightforward and honest village boy, but by no means a dunce.

Robin (Tobin) - He goes out of his way to compete with Gray all the time (not just for Claire, but pretty much everything) but you can also see that they're best bros, pretty much. A fair bit of exposition on Alm's side comes from these two's interactions, and they ask some pretty important questions. Robin has moments of extreme idiocy as well as pure genius.

Kliff - Surprisingly not much to be said about him. He's kind of portrayed as an aloof genius, and it's mentioned that he got an education in the city, but felt suffocated by the extreme formality of it. He's got his own angle in going along with Alm's army, he mostly just wants to see the world and pursue knowledge for himself. His ending reflects this.

Effie (Faye) - Tricky. Most people seem to hate her character. I felt like she was very bittersweet and I felt kind of sad knowing that there's no way her dreams of living with Alm would ever come true. Some compare her to Tharja for apparently being clingy and obsessive, but I didn't feel this was the case at all. She's just a very sweet girl who got dealt an unfortunate card by falling in love with someone destined to become a hero. Although at the same time I feel like her inclusion was totally unnecessary, aside from giving Alm a potential second Pegasus unit...

Luka - Totally different from how I remember him in Gaiden. He's really polite and nice to everyone, and everyone appreciates his input, whether relating to battle or relations within the army. Clive in particular appreciates him being in the Liberation Army since its earliest days, referring to him as a sort of "glue" keeping everyone together and keeping them from straying off the right path, which is understandable if you look at Python and Fors...

Silque - A sister strangely originating from Rigel, she became a sister of Mila on her mother's legacy. She's travelled all around the world, and often has trouble with bandits... that's about it. I feel like there was supposed to be some more to her, but...

Clive - (Former) leader of the Liberation army that gets strung along a bit by Berkut's and Fernand's implications that "Alm may not actually be related to Mycen at all" at one point. For that short time you can see him showing some doubts, but he doesn't have much of a personality to speak of... He's a proud and elite knight who treats all his comrades, regardless of lineage, with respect and dignity. Apparently one of the first knights to be cool with commoners joining the army.

Claire - Her way of speech betrays her noble birth and upbringing, but Claire clearly means no ill even when she does make a faux pas among the rest of the army. She's somewhat vexed by Gray's unrefined attempts to woo her - obviously not totally against the idea, but she gets absolutely mad at him in one of their early interactions because of how blunt and straightforward he is.

Python - A super-relaxed dude that I'd love to go for a drink with. He can come off as somewhat lazy and apathetic at times, but he's still always there to get the job done when called upon.

Fors(yth) - A super-diligent dude that I'd also love to go for a drink with. He's the foil to Python and has a very high-energy, no-nonsense personality. He's got a great sense of duty and justice, and always does his utmost no matter the undertaking. Chews out Python every now and then for his lazy demeanor.

Matilda - Referred to as "The Goddess of Victory" by her lover Clive, she seems to inspire her comrades on the field of battle with her skill and beauty. A fairly strict and down-to-earth personality. She doesn't get much screen time outside her interactions with Clive.

Ryuuto (Luthier) - Weird guy. Kind of prideful. Constantly dotes on his sister and according to her has no friends. He tries to one-up her by claiming that Alm calls him his friend, but it's clear to Dyuute that he completely misses the point...

Dyuute (Delthea) - Fairly immature and boastful, often referencing her great magic power and asking the others to praise her for her successes. She doesn't see the point in living life on her village's terms, though, and wants to do things differently, she yearns for adventure. I still can't understand why she decides to seal her magic by the end despite being so proud of it throughout the story.

Teeta (Tatiana) - She gave off a more mature vibe in Gaiden so I kind of miss that. She can be a bit silly sometimes, but is a very good-natured and charitable girl otherwise. The townspeople in the place where you recruit Zeke love her. She's confirmed to be the one to find Zeke (Camus) in his injured state. Is uneasy about what might happen if he remembers his true identity.

Zeke - Holds a great deal of respect for Emperor Rudolf and is at first skeptical about joining Alm beyond the inital skirmish against Jerome. Upon seeing the brand on Alm's hand, though, he joins him, as instructed by the Emperor himself. He swears love to Teeta regardless of what happens, and we know that...

Spoiler

...in (New) Mystery, he tells of "another love" waiting for him when asked about his feelings for Nyna. He'd moved on from Nyna, and probably returns to Valentia after the events of Mystery, assuming Teeta lives.

Mycen - The true hero of Gaiden/Echoes. Best grandpa who's totally not your grandpa at all, he trusts Rudolf's judgement and has enough foresight to support both Alm and Celica in completing their duties without being overbearing.

Celica - She gets some pretty big development at the Chapter 2/3 Sofia Castle scene, practically seething in rage at Alm's plan to take the fight to Rigel and his spite of the Sofian Royal family (and royalty in general at that particular moment.) Unlike Alm, Celica knows her true identity so she takes it pretty hard. She's determined to find out what happened to Mila (as her blessings were effectively what kept the country not falling apart), and cares deeply for all her comrades. She has some pretty tough moments of naivety when faced with Judah, and I feel like she gave into his temptations a bit too easily, without consulting the rest of her comrades - but trying to act for their sake - she just falls for his trick and gets everyone into trouble.

Boey - Cool kid. You can tell he cares deeply for his family and for Celica's well-being, and I'd dare say he's one of the more down-to-earth characters on Celica's story side, acting as the voice of reason every now and then.

May - Confides in Celica about her crush on (guess who^), and it's what helps her guide towards that in the end. Characterized by great energy and joy, she's always there to cheer up her comrades in the army. You know something is wrong if this girl doesn't have a smile on her face.

Jenny - A bit of a "cutesy bookworm" type, she mentions loving novels at one point and how she plans to write a novel of her own once the war ends. She's eager not to get left behind by Celica and the others. As often mentioned, she claims to have a thing for older men, wanting to be completely and utterly spoiled. Daddy kink is a hell of a drug.

Saber - A mercenary for hire that decides to follow "the little miss" (Celica) as far as she might go, despite his official contract only asking he takes her as far as Mila's Temple. Basically her personal bodyguard until Conrad shows up. Coolest man alive. Jesse entertains the idea of the Mercenary nation with him first.

Valbo (Valbar) - He's got a hell of a tragic story. He joined the army to provide for his family, but while he was away on tour his hometown was raided (I think by Gies' marauders), and his whole family was killed. Parents, wife and children. He's out for payback but does his best to keep a light-hearted appearance, and doesn't let his past weigh on him too heavily.

Leo - I can't for the life of me figure this guy out, but I'll try. From his general flamboyant and feminine demeanor most assume that he's 100% gay for Valbo, and I assumed the same at first, but bear with me. Through their supports, Kamui realizes that Leo has some major misconceptions about the guy, talking about him in a totally generalizing way. It amounts to "I like aniki/bro (Valbo) cause he's my ideal man and he's my ideal man cause I like him". Kamui wonders what would happen if Valbo truned out not to be Leo's "ideal man" and Leo completely dismisses the idea even being remotely possible. By the end of their support, Leo confides in Kamui that he had a lover prior to the war, and the lover's gender isn't mentioned at all. I don't recall what happened to them (I think they were killed?), but Leo was deeply hurt as a result. He then remarks that he "admires" his "aniki" Valbo. This is stupidly vague for several reasons. "Aniki" can be both "bro" and "hot dude", and "admire" can be both in a platonic, friendly way, as well as a romantic attraction. I think it's the former, given the fact that he uses the term "admire" to begin with, but that's just my opinion. Maybe he's not completely clear on his own feelings himself.

Kamui - Bad luck seems to be his most defining character trait. A traveling mercenary with a fairly wide skillset that met Valbo by chance and decided to stick with him for a while. Has a hard time wrapping his mind around Leo's odd fixation with Valbo. The guy's basically me.

Whitewings - You should know plenty about these girls already. One interesting thing I've noticed is that Catria asks Palla if she has a sweetheart of her own like her other two. She evades the question, but mentions Abel in her death quote. I wonder why, considering Abel and Est are an item...

Atlas - A fairly simple country bumpkin lumberjack guy. His main angle is to rescue his siblings from Gies, but he decides to follow Celica to repay her for helping him rescue them. He's a bit of a dunce and doesn't know how much of the world works outside of his own village in the mountains, but there's few better candidates for bashing some bad guy skulls in.

Sonia - Harsh. Having your dad and two sisters as midgame and endgame bosses fucking sucks, and her postgame epilogue was made really menacing in Echoes for some reason, completely different from Gaiden. Nevertheless, Sonia gets really nice development with Jenny, as Jenny is reminded of her mother who basically abandoned her by Sonia - a beautiful woman who takes no shit from anyone. Meeting Sonia allows Jenny to overcome this old complex of hers, and the two get along on okay terms. Sonia also remarks at Celica that she should be bolder and less hesitant.

Dean - Not on this playthrough, sorry.

Jesse - A dashing rogue with a penchant for trying to woo all the girls. Saves Silque from some bandits on one occasion. Famous for founding the Mercenary nation postgame. There's a point at which he suggests something to keep the story going, but I've completely forgotten what it is by now... Did it have something to do with the Forest of the Lost, or the wasteland stages in northeast Rigel? I really can't remember, sorry.

Conrad - I'm not completely sure why he's not the heir-apparent of Sofia, despite being older than Celica. Nevertheless, his key character trait seems to be his dual personality. With the mask on he's noble, prideful, arrogant and speaks in a very cynical, I'd dare say mocking tone. With the mask off, he becomes youthful and, for lack of a better term, wimpy - his sister Celica is more proactive than him both in their childhood and in present day with the mask off. She prefers him with the mask on for obvious reasons.

Nomah - I completely forgot to recruit him so I have no idea what he's like in Echoes...

Berkut - Poor kid drew the short stick. He just wanted his uncle Rudolf to give him some love. He has aspirations for becoming the ruler of Rigel and eventually all of Valentia, but his plans are completely ruined by Alm (and Rudolf). In despair, he throws away the thing he should have cherished the most.

Linea - A rather plain, but kind girl who seems to love dancing, and is completely devoted to Berkut.

Fernand - Short-sighted dick. His memory fragment with the early Liberation army made me feel bad for half a second but he was borderline insufferable for most of the game and completely deluded. My own country's army is full of commoners now so I'll go join the enemy. Who the fuck does that?

Rudolf - Best dad ever. ;_;

Judah -

Spoiler

what a fucking dick, who the hell sells the souls of his daughers to a deranged dragon? He seems dead set on Valentia needing the god-dragons to lead it, a contrast to Rudolf and later Alm who believe in the power of mankind, and don't want to see mankind as playthings to the dragons anymore.

Mila and Duma -

Spoiler

We find out that Mila held nothing but love for Duma by the end, and it's nice that they both acknowledge the people of Valentia as having enough strength in them to govern the continent on their own after everything they've put them through, but a little detail about the Falchion bothers me.

Spoiler

Apparently this one's also made from one of Naga's fangs - given to Mila and Duma in case something ever went wrong with their nonagression pact. I guess that's just the fallout of trying to justify the state of religion in Awakening's Valm and why Tiki ended up there - a connection between the dragons. Not the best way to wrap it up, but whatever.

Edited by NaokiP