New Mechanics

Hello! (forum noob here so I apologize in advance :p) So I never played FE Gaiden. Only Shadow Dragon, New Mystery,Fates and Awakening. I am curious what new features or mechanics are in Echos. I'm aware of the big stuff like the time wheel,no custom Avatar and the like. Im more asking about the meat I guess, example I think I noticed they merged Strength and Magic into one stat. Things like that. Thank you!

Terrain plays a big part in echoes (i think around 40 - 60 avoid?). Magic attacks are a fixed hit rate so you will need to use mages to hit enemies who are in those terrain bonuses. But casting magic cost hp depending on the magic type. No weapon triangle. That's all i can think of at the top of my head right now.

Edited by DivineLion

Well one obvious thing is that you get skills by using weapons and those skills are locked to the weapon (if you use the lightning sword you get a skill called thunderclap but that skill is locked to the lightning sword and cannot be used by other weapons)
Some classes can promote 2 times (Mercenary>Myrmidon>Dreadfighter, etc) and some only can promote once (though it was implied that there is going to be DLC classes).

Edited by tomm363
Grammar errors

I've barely gone anywhere in Gaiden and am waiting for NA release for SoV too but here are the things I know of:

Spoiler

Dungeon Crawling: fairly obvious roam dungeons, kill things, find things

Fatigue: Will reduce Total HP when taking actions in battle

Mila Statue: Various functions like Restoring fatigue, promoting units

Fountains: Usually comes in pairs, raises a party member's stat, can be used only a number of times

Skillls (I think they were called arts in localization): Uses HP to activate different types of abilities, see here for more

Spells: Mages and Clerics use HP to cast various spells (Consists of things like healing, attacks, summoning), learned at different levels for different units, also note that not everyone learns the same spells and can have more or better spells than another

Supports: Not new but a different from the last two titles, support points made when within 3 spaces, done on battlefield

Villages: People describe it like a visual novel, you can take things from various places and can talk to people

Archers: Work very differently from other FE titles, has a 1-3(?) range meaning they can counterattack fools

Equipment: There's quite a bit to them so I'll give the basics

• Depending on what it is, they can raise stats and lower others (usually lowers spd)
  • Amount of Wt = -Spd points and Amount of Mt = +Atk points
  • The bar next to the equipment will fill as you use it and the unit will learn a skill after it fills
  • You need the equipment on the unit if you want to perform the skill

Terrain: They just have much larger effects in combat (GRAVES GIVE LIKE 60 AVOID LIKE DAMN)

Those are the one's I can think of right now. I'll edit in case I remember more.

2 minutes ago, tomm363 said:

Well one obvious thing is that you get skill by using weapons and those skills are locked to the weapon (if you use the lightning sword you get a skill called thunderclap but that skill is locked to the lightning sword and cannot be used by other weapons)
Some classes can promote 2 times (Mercenary>Myrmidon>Dreadfighter, etc) and some only can promote once (though it was implied that there is going to be Dlc classes).

Oh yeah I think I saw that! I also read that unlike Fates and Awakening its best to Upgrade classes ASAP instead of grind.Which I'm a tad confused about.

1 hour ago, Dark Mark said:

Oh yeah I think I saw that! I also read that unlike Fates and Awakening its best to Upgrade classes ASAP instead of grind.Which I'm a tad confused about.

It's recommended because those promotion bonuses will go up to match the classes base stats only. 

Class base stats are here. If you were to promote a unit to the next class, then the unit will match those exact stats. BUT, if they end up having more in a stat than the class base, then it will remain the same. So when promoting... Kliff into a cavalier, and his speed is at 7, it will stay at 7 instead of subtracting 2. I'm sorry if this explanation was confusing.

In Gaiden you would definitely promote immediately, but in Echoes you can theoretically get away with holding off for a little while. Just be careful not to wait so long that you're stuck levelling through the second tier when the game starts throwing third-tier units at you.