Next Grand hero Battle: Xander

Michelaar

Infantry - done.  Leon, PA!Azura, Lukas, and Ike did the job. . .well, technically speaking.  In reality, Ike stood around while Leon shot the mages.  Lukas then stepped up and quad-attacked everything that could counter him.  Nothing on the map was prepared for 53 MT, four times in a row.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Usana said:

@LordFrigid That Caeda is a thing of beauty!

Glad to hear it =) . The Wing Sword was a pretty massive buff, especially with the refinements...I'm loving every minute of it.

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

@LordFrigid Caeda is too cool for this map. I was surprised how much damage she can deal to high DEF units, even with DC on her A-slot. 

To be fair, I had her Atk stacked to high heaven. For the first turn of combat, after all the buffs & auras, she was sitting pretty at 68 (+6 from Hone, +4 from Goad, +4 from Spur Atk seal...+14 Atk is fair and balanced, right?).

This one's been a real pain, I definitely won't be getting the armor version done this time around and I might not finish the cavalry one tonight either.

Infantry: Celica, Adult Tiki, Axura, and Brave Lucina. Thanks to drive resistance from Adult Tiki, the summoner support boost, and a dance from Axura Celica managed to take care of both green mages and the red sword (though she needed an attack+ seal to manage as well since that sword used was surprisingly bulky). The lancer went down easily enough and Tiki laughed at Xander (it was so nice to watch him do 0 damage). It helped that after the first enemy phase both greens and the infantry sword were down, which just left cleanup.

Flier: The usual crew of Nowi, Elincia, Tana, and Airzura. This was the group I figured out first, with Nowi taking out the sword user and Azura dancing her to safety. Nowi takes out the green cavalier and gets out of the way so that Tana can deal with the lancer and Xander (though she needs a little help to finish him off), and from there it's mostly cleanup. (I realize my flier team isn't an easy group to acquire but hey maybe it's helpful to someone out there).

Also, thank god for Sacred seals, especially the close defense one.

edit: hey, I figured out the armor quest somehow! Black Knight, Hector, Effie, and Sheena got it done (Hector could likely be subbed out for Amelia and Sheena contributes only as a ward user with the drive defense seal). Between a fortify armor, a ward armor, a drive defense 1, distant defense 3 seal, and green tomebreaker BK can take out both green mages in the first enemy phase of combat while taking very little damage in return. With lancebreaker Hector could kill the lancer (hence why another high power green armor could replace him), and from there cleanup is easy. Doesn't need a mage armor or armor march, but pivot ends up being important for positioning.

Edited by kirauza343

4 hours ago, Clogon said:

Here is vid.

Pretty easy to reproduce as long as you have -Blade Eirika. Mine is -ATK so you don't even need the 5* -Blade tome.

Super helpful, thanks! Had moonbow instead of glimmer on mine and managed to get the specials timed to kill both green mages in the enemy phase so that was nice.

What I'm learning from this is that a good red mage is invaluable to this infernal, because Celica, Nowi, and now Eirika have been my mvps. 

Had quite an interesting time trying to beat this with an all-cavalier team, but it worked. Somehow.

Used Reinhardt, Xander, Eirika, and Leo for my team. Xander and Eirika had hone cavalry, while Leo was equipped with fortify and Reinhardt with goad. Xander was equipped with TA3, QR2, and a distant defense seal. Eirika needed attack+3, while Reinhardt had close defense seal. Basically, I had Eirika and Leo buff Xander up so he could tank the red foot sword and kill both green mages and survive. Which he barely does. On the next turn, Reinhardt kills the lance user while blocking in Xander from one side. Eirika takes out the sword fighter while blocking Xander from the other side. So enemy Xander has to attack one of Reinhardt or Eirika. And I have my own Xander stab the healer in the face to weaken her. On the enemy phase, the healer suicides on Xander (who has his proc charged up) while not doing enough damage to kill Xander, and enemy Xander puts Eirika at low HP. Leo chips Xander, and Reinhardt finishes him off.

Crazy.

Managed also armor, in the end Tharja and Lissa made it pretty easy, Hector and BK and only had to goad/ward. 

@SatsumaFSoysoy Why is Xander attacking Effie and not BK in the end? I like the video editing details (combat animation only on the boss-kill etc). 

@LordFrigid I shouldn't use Palla as Moonbow fodder anymore and finally try out some goad strategies. 

@Zeo missing your video made me think Xander would give you trouble. How foolish of me! Berkut (and depending on the infernal version also Camus) have more open maps though. 

@Zeo
Great run, pretty cool to see Ayra tank most of it as well as Matt.

@LordFrigid Wow Caeda looks really good now, that 110 damage on the horse mage was hilarious.

4 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Here we go.

Nice runs and well done on completing all the quests.

Another infantry vid

Spoiler

1 hour ago, kirauza343 said:

Super helpful, thanks! Had moonbow instead of glimmer on mine and managed to get the specials timed to kill both green mages in the enemy phase so that was nice.

What I'm learning from this is that a good red mage is invaluable to this infernal, because Celica, Nowi, and now Eirika have been my mvps. 

I totally did not expect it to actually help someone but am glad it did!

Interestingly enough, for infantry, I actually used Y!Tiki (TA, QR, Lightning Breath), Azura, Ninian and B!Caeda.

Tiki tanked Xander, Swordy and killed both green mages. B!Caeda took care of the rest.

40 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

@SatsumaFSoysoy Why is Xander attacking Effie and not BK in the end? I like the video editing details (combat animation only on the boss-kill etc). 

BK was going to take 0 damage, I believe, from three Wards stacked on him. Xander not having Bonfire/Ignis made this so much easier to be honest.

32 minutes ago, Fei Mao said:

Nice runs and well done on completing all the quests.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Fei Mao said:

@Zeo
Great run, pretty cool to see Ayra tank most of it as well as Matt.

Fun fact!: Ayra and Matthew have almost identical bulk. they both have 31 DEF but Matthew has 1 more point of RES and HP (which he only has because of merges).

I did't expect to beat the infernal infantry challenge with Robin, Raigh and Gordin since none of those are considered to be amongst the best infantry units. Still with some help from Azura they cleared not only Xander's ghb, but Narshen's as well.

Cleared the Flier quest yesterday - that one was really difficult!

Units used:
5*+2 +Atk/-Res Cordelia (Reposition, Fury 3, Hit and Run, Goad Fliers, Heavy Blade 3)
+Spd/-Atk NY Azura (+Spd Hagoita+, Fury 3, Wings of Mercy 3, Spur Spd 1)
5* +Atk/-Spd Cherche (Brave Axe+, Reposition, Bonfire, Death Blow 3, Lancebreaker 2, Fortify Fliers, Distant Defense 3)
4* +Spd/-HP Palla

Adapted from this strat:

On 2/11/2018 at 4:09 PM, mampfoid said:

@Thor Odinson Nice theme, very fitting. How many merges do you have on Ryoma? Too bad Hinoka didn't have to do anything. 

Ryoma's +4, but with the summoner support he has stats similar to a +9. Hinoka did a bit more in a previous clear, but I wanted to get a Ryoma v Xander battle in and that resulted in him killing most of the enemies on the map too, lol

She does force Xander's AI into attacking Ryoma, though, since they're similar statted defensively except Hinoka has WTA.

She also gets to do more in my fliers clear, including beating the shit out Xander himself and getting some use out of her refine. 

So... I looked at PM1’s strats for this map (as I still have yet to clear Infernal) and I would be able to do the cavalry quest but I can’t give my Xander G Tomebreaker 2 (I have zero fodder and am not pulling right now), so that ruins that. Infantry seemed possible, until i found out that my +Atk Arthur ORKO’s the lance fighter. This is a problem as the healer then attacks Arthur meaning he cannot escape Xander the next turn due to Gravity. This Infernal map can go to hell...

Back to this piece of crap, the only one that eluded me for 2/4 (I just didn't bother doing Ursula's yet).

After the last day, I said screw it and found some surprisingly accessible strats (The cav one took Xander, Camus, B!Lyn and Ursula, but there's no non-default skills (Barring Lyn and Hone Cav), Ursula was 4* and it's about getting Xander to tank the right first with Camus supporting, then Ursula blows away Xander)

Armour took way too much effort and fine tuning trying to get this strat to work for me as I didn't have Spur Spd 2 or BK +2 so BK can't double the green mage and got overwhelmed, Draug's -Res got him killed by the cleric and the sword's Ignis took out Wendy despite her +9 and +Def if her HP was down.... But I did it. Gave Draug Drive Def 1 Seal (as well as C support with BK and Reciprocal aid which he already had) so BK takes less damage (Xander dinged BK. That was fun) and Eliwood had Atk Ploy 2 (already done for Sonya). On PP BK teleports to the left of a low HP Wendy (After she gave HP) and Draug heals her, leading the healer to attack him on EP, BK gets hit by the lancer and mage (he beats the mage). BK runs to Draug with WoM (for him. :P), Wendy hits the cleric and Eliwood beats the lancer. I'm forgetting the details a bit around this point, but the swords are what's left and after clearing them, the cleric attacks Wendy for 6 damage. Wendy takes out the cleric with a Bonfire and I FINALLY end this.

Xander? Fuck you, I'm happy you died in Birthright. Also during my Relevations endgame. Also every time in Heroes. Maybe even what'll happen in story at this rate.

I managed to complete the armor quest this time around, with BK, Amelia, Christmas Chrom, and LA Hector. Wary Fighter was essential on Chrom and Hector, and everyone had Ward Armor, except Amelia. I'm glad I eventually got the Armors to work, I was thinking about spending a lot of orbs trying to get Lyn so that I'd finally have an Armor that could hit from a distance. Now, I'll wait to see who the next new heroes are before I throw more orbs at this banner.

Why is it that the stupidest things cause the biggest problems? The healer and the stupid knock back on the lancer caused me the most problems this time.

After several attempts, though, I finally completed the infantry quest for Xander. 

My team was PA Azura, Klein, Shiro and Arvis... although I now realise that all Arvis was used for was for his repositioning skill. 

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I'll give a vague rundown of what I can recall. Klein took out the sword user (he had to have swordbreaker, Atk+3 seal and PA!Azura's Hone Attack +2 seal to do so). He then was danced and took out the green mage. Azura was repositioned away by Arvis. The horse green mage tries to murder Klein, who tanks it, while Xander and the lance user move in and the healer swoops over to heal the green cav. Next turn, Klein murders the green cav. 

This bit was easy, but then it became tricky, since Klein then has to be danced to murder the healer, other wise the healer murders him. This, however, puts Azura in the way of Xander. Originally, it was fine, since I thought I could block the way with the lance user for one turn and then kill, but stupid knock back left a gap for Xander to kill Azura. However, during one playthrough, I'd moved Arvis up so he was then close enough to stand next to Azura. Klein kills the healer with Azura's dance and Arvis stands next to Azura to stop her being knocked back. If the lance user wasn't AI driven, he'd then attack Shiro and knock him back so Xander could get to Azura. Thankfully, he is fully AI driven. The lance user attacks Azura and gets killed by her next turn. Shiro stands next to Xander, who then suicides against him over a turn or two. 

So proud of myself for managing that. I know they're not exactly the worst units, but I've never really attempted Infernal by myself without guides before. I'm still dubious about armour and flier emblem quests, since I feel they are still too hard... but there's a year and I know there are budget guides slowly cropping up on YouTube. 

Edited by Cute Chao

• 2 weeks later...

Finally did the Flier Quest for Xander. I used this team.

Spoiler

Caeda (5*, +Atk/-Res)
- Wing Sword (Unique Refine)
- Rally Spd (not used)
- Iceberg
- Fury 3
- Desperation 3
- Fortify Fliers
- Distant Def 3

Cordelia (5*, +Spd/-Def)
- Firesweep Lance+
- Reposition (not used)
- Draconic Aura
- Life and Death 3
- Hit and Run
- Goad Fliers
- Drive Def 1

Cherche (5*, +Atk/-Spd)
- Brave Axe+
- Pivot (not used)
- Bonfire
- Atk+3
- Hit and Run
- Goad Fliers
- Atk Smoke 3

Palla (4*, neutral)
- Ruby Sword
- (empty)
- Moonbow
- (empty)
- Wings of Mercy 2
- Goad Fliers
- Close Def 3

tldr; Palla and Caeda are the best girls. A more detailed analysis below.

Spoiler

Turn 1:
I positioned Palla so that she can move into the range of the Sword Infantry on the right side next turn. Caeda stays south of her so she can give her Fortify buff to Palla. Cordelia and Cherche just move beside her.

Turn 2:
Palla moves forward so the Red Sword and the Green mage are in range. Cordelia needs to be on the space where Palla was so she can give her Drive Def buff to her. Caeda moves just out of enemy range while Cherche parks behind her.
Both enemies engage Palla and tanks both of them. The Green Tome should not damage her.
After this turn the Lance infantry should be in range of Cherche while Xander is swapped to the left side where the Healer is standing. Green Tome Cavalier should be positioned north of the Lance guy.

Turn 3:
Cherche kills the Lance infantry and debuffs her surroundings. Caeda moves forward and one-shots the Green Tome Cavalier. Palla just stays where she is.
With the Atk Smoke debuff and Drive Def support both Caeda and Palla survive the enemy phase while the former sends Xander to his grave.

Turn 4:
Caeda eliminates the Healer and Palla teleports left to her. Both Cordelia and Cherche move just out of range of the remaining enemies.

Turn 5:
Cordelia ORKO's the Sword unit and Caeda eliminates the Green Tome.

I think for my clear Caeda and Palla are mandatory but both Cherche and Cordelia are replaceable. Your picks only need to be able to kill the melee Infantry units though you will need to kill the Sword infantry with your first attack since he will have Ignis charged. That means you will need at least a Brave Lance user or someone who can tank the Special.

Managed to beat Infernal with an Armour team pretty much by fluke on my first try. It took a little while to work up to it...

My team was Grima, Zelgius, The Christmas Robin and Count Henry, although Zelgius did nearly all the work, with a little bit taken up by The Christmas Robin. Count Henry attacked once or twice, but he was there mostly to provide Ward Armour. Grima did zilch, except Ward Armour. Zelgius also had Ward Armour, but The Christmas Robin had Armour March. Zelgius tanked so many hits. So proud of him *sheds tear*. 

Now just got the fliers left to do. I've actually promoted Caeda to 5* to see if she will give me an edge but I can't be bothered to go for it today. Maybe next week :)

I'm happy that my Robin/Raigh/Gordin/Azura team managed to clear the infantry quest, but sadly my attempts at clearing the flier quest is going a lot less well.

I feel like the Xander grand hero battle is almost impossible with my current team since without Airzura I can't do anything to avoid the green mages. Xander's panic ploy messing with my buffs isn't helping.

At the moment my team consists of Elincia, Scorrin, Hino and Michalis with Claire and Camilla being other 5 star flyers in my barracks.