Newbie paving his way.

Zeo

I'm pretty sure this topic isn't breaking any rules. If so I apologize and let me know what to fix.

New player here. F2P for now. I've played and beaten FE6/7/8/9/10. 7 and 10 remain my favorites. Haven't played the older games but I know some info about them and the characters to an extent. I know little to nothing about Awakening/Fates though. I've been playing this game for... 3-4 days maybe? It's rather addictive to be honest. Haven't got anyone to 40 yet but I've been blessed with 4 5* stars so far. 

5* Young Tiki, Frederick, Faye, Lukas.

4* Kagero, Chrom, Palla, Gunter, Jeorge, Virion, Henry, Robin(M), Odin, Abel, Hana, Jagen, Arthur, Wrys, Beruka, Maria, Oboro, Draug, Sully

3* Matthew, Gaius, Serra, Lissa, Catria, Est, Stahl, Subaki, Niles, Shareena, Lon Qu, Cecila, Azama, Nino, Setsuna, Eliwood, Palla, Niles, Zephiel, Sophia, Fir

2* Alfonse, Virion, Raigh, Subaki, Gunter, Felicia

1* Gunter, Felicia

First team was led by 4* Chrom and Kagero both of whom I was lucky enough to get as my very first pool. Chrom/Kagero/Arthur/Jagen were my first main team. They carried me into the 20s and then started falling apart. My current main team is Frederick/Kagero/Y.Tiki with alternations for the 4th between 3* Subaki and 4* Chrom.

4* Chrom and Hana are the best I have for swordies. Don't have any exceptional lancers yet either and this whole inheriting thing makes me scared to spend SP on my main units. (Though I still have to a degree.). Also not sure who I'm going to keep in the long run besides Kagero and I don't know if I should sacrifice 4*s for their skills on characters that might not be my endgame (Like Frederick who is currently sitting on 350 SP). I don't fully understand the IV thing yet and I'm not entirely sure how the + and - bases work. But I'm pretty sure I have a +ATK Kagero and Nino. While I really want to get Matthew from 2* to 5* since playing this game Kagero remains my highest leveled unit and I want to 5* her but I don't know if I should save for her or upgrade some 3*s to inherit skills to her or Frederick (or should I hold out for Hector or level up Gunter?)

Characters I've been giving extra leveling attention to and ultimately want to 4* and 5* star are Kagero, Catria, Nino and Matthew. Chrom seems like an obvious choice but he's been really underwhelming to me and I kind of want to hold out for a better sword unit because at 4* neither him or Hana are particularly special. Palla has been doing really well for me and she's 4* but I don't know how worth it she is in the long term and I'm sure one of my units could really use that MoonBow.

The #1 character I want in this game is Lyn. She and Hector are my respective 2 that I want the most regardless of tiers. 

My dream team for this game is currently 5* Lyn/Hector/Matthew/Nino. Ike is probably the only character that could stand in for Lyn, but he's not around just yet.

Biggest things for me right now are...

1. currently I don't have a "Main" lance user. Subaki's lance and absurd def comes in handy but almost half the time he can't even damage his target on the higher levels. Catria seems like she's a beast but she's only a 3 star and I don't know if it's worth spending 2k of my 6k feathers on boosting her or waiting. Should I invest in leveling my 5* Lukas (Lv 22) or *4 Abel (Lv 20) and using one of as a stand in lance user for my main team or just fill the gap with someone like 4* Robin(M)

2. Is it worth going for 5* Matthew or even 5* Jaffar when I'm sitting on a 4* +ATK Kagero that I can 5 star later on?

3. Lyn is my ideal sword unit, but is it worth it to invest in Chrom right now as my swordie? Hana kind of sucks.

4. What do I do with Robin? He only comes at 3* and 4*. Should I keep him and boost him to 5*? Or even if I boost him should I give his seal spd to another? He's miles better than Odin... maybe I'm thinking too far ahead.

5. Should I bother continuing to roll specifically for Lyn if I come across a Ryoma, Lucina, Marth or Erika? In terms of optimal performance.

6. Virion is great Inherit food for Seal Spd, but Jeorge is pretty good and I have a 5* Faye. But is it worth using any of these units or should I just stick to Kagero and pray for Takumi in the long run?

7. Should I just send Faye home because with her skill setup I'm not really seeing any useful inheriting utility for her or even usefulness as a unit aside from helping to level a Takumi later on. I could certainly use the feathers, but sending away one of my 5* units just sounds surreal. Advice? Her bow is nifty.

8. Shareena is a resource SINKHOLE. Alfonse I didn't bother with but Shareena is pretty decent overall. Since there's only one of her and I've brought her to 4* who should I 4 star, her or Catria?

9. Frederick is currently my #2. But it turns out there are quite a few better axe users, should I invest rare skills into him or just use him as a foothold until say... a Hector/Raven/Camilla comes along.

10. I have my current composition. But out of all the characters I have currently and at their current star ranks. What is the most "optimal" team I can have?

11. who should be sent home right now?

12. How do I move forward this early? Lunatic is pretty difficult right now and I need skills but I'm afraid to spend SP or waste units that don't have their 3rd level of their tier through inheriting. Most of the best stuff comes from *4 or *5 units that are hard to come by.

My tactician name is Tenk. Friend code coming later.

Edited by Zeo

Dude, if you want Frederick advice, look no further than yours truly, the local Freddy fangirl.

Frederick might not be the BEST ever, but he can certainly be worked into something great, especially if he's +def or +atk. If he doesn't have either of these boons, he might not be worth it, honestly. He's kind of a specialized dude. If he's neutral, he can still work though.

Take it from me, I've built my own 5 star Freddy into a blue/axe/Hector killer primarily. Axebreaker and Hammer+ one-rounds Hector since Freddy can hit like a truck. And a +def Freddy is hard for most physical units to take down, especially with buffs. He can also obviously be good on an all cavalry team, but I don't know if you're ever going to go for that.

Also, Freddy makes great use of Armored Blow, especially if again, he's +def. Armored Blow 3 will give him 45 def on player phase in this case!

Since Freddy is slow though, he can also do great with a Brave Axe+ if you get a 5 star with that weapon (dump a Camilla on him, she's a horrible character) or Quick Reposte.

Vanilla Freddy is kinda meh, but with skill inheritance he can be a monster, seriously. But to use him on a team, he does need people who can counter mages, since they'll always wreck him. You could give him one of the Tomebreakers, but then he'd be without Axebreaker which he makes great use of against those annoying Hectors.

Also, on another note, use male Robin! He's great and counters annoying Takumis. Triangle Adept Swordbreaker Robin is especially great. He can go Bowbreaker instead of Swordbreaker as well if you want to counter the shit out of Takumis. Male Robin does NOT want a -spd bane though, so if yours has that...yeah not worth it. I had one and he was awful. I later pulled a much better male Robin, thankfully.

Edited by Anacybele

As red-swords go chrom is one of the worse ones. Lyn is good but overall agreement seems to say that ryoma/lucina/marth is the red-sword of choice, at least atm. Wait for ike later today though.

For lances, lukas is an amazing tank, while both catria and sharena are very worth raising. Imo sharena first since her supportive ability is better atm, catria is best used in flier emblem.

Out of your greys kagero is the best, so stick with her.

Focus on leveling and unlocking potential for now, leave skill inheritance for later, since it is very sp-intensive

Definitely invest in making Kagreo 5* at some point, especially since she's +atk. She's great and that's her ideal boon stat. Honestly, Matthew is pretty awful, but since he's a favorite of yours by all means feel free to invest in him anyway. Even crappy units can at least be usable thanks to skill inheritance, they'll just take a lot of work. Part of the fun of this game is using and building up your favorites after all. I'd still prioritize Kagero, though, since she's just so good and you can lean on her to help your team in the meantime.

I'd just stick with Lukas as your lancer for now since it saves you from investing feathers in somebody else. Sharena is quite good as a 5* choice, but yeah that'll suck up feathers that could go to something else you need/want more. Abel is alright, but no real point investing in him over Lukas since he's not a 5* as well. He'd also be good to pass off his lvl 3 swordbreaker that he gets at 4* to somebody later on if you like.

Holding out for Hector ideally means waiting for a banner with him on it, which who knows when we might get one. Either way, double check your Nino's stats. If she's +atk and her - stat is NOT -spd, then she's pretty great. Regardless of if you get Hector or not at some point, investing in a +atk Nino isn't a waste, even if she's just 3* right now. Unless you like Fredrick a lot (like Ana does), I'd just leave him be for the most part until you get somebody better/you like more/upgrade Nino.

Takumi's good but Faye and Jeorge are perfectly fine. Since Faye is your 5* I'd invest in her some, and again Kagero's amazing.

I don't remember what the best IVs for M Robin are, but if you have a good one he's very good. Honestly I wouldn't worry to much about him since Lukas should be perfectly competent as a blue unit for you team. But if you feel like dumping feathers on him he's great with with Triangle Adept at nuking sword and colorless units.

Chrom is okay, but not that good. Tiki's going to be your best red unit overall right now. Either way, yeah he's probably better than Hana. She's not bad either, but she takes a lot of investment if you want to make her shine, while Chrom's at least passable without much help. Again, you might as well just use Tiki as your main red unit, she's very good.

I'd 4* Sharena over Catria mainly since every 2 weeks the arena bonus units(that boost your arena score by having them on your team) rotate, but one of default 3 given to you by the game (Alfonse/Anna/Sharena) will always be up as one. So at least sometimes if you don't have the other bonus units for the week, you might be able to just use your Sharena and she won't be a total deadweight since you'll have her at 4* and leveled up. I say this as somebody who has NOT done this, and so last week and this week I'm using 4* lvl 39 Virion on my arena team and it sucks since he's basically useless against the stacked opponents I'm facing. It'd be nice if I had leveled Sharena to be in that spot instead.

I wouldn't send anybody home really. The pitiful amount of feathers you get versus potentially taking some skills off of them later isn't worth it in my opinion. Plus most of your other units have decent skill inheritance uses anyway.

Don't worry too much about wasting SP. Unless it's a terrible skill or something you know you want to replace later, you're probably fine. You can always grind the training tower and get 3 SP per kill for units if the enemies are are around the level of your character (6 levels below max). It's slow and burns through stamina, but eventually that won't be a huge deal, just tedious. I'd just focus on leveling character for now and not worry too much about skill inheritance yet.

Out of what you have, I think after making Kagreo 5*, Kagero/Lukas/Tiki/Fredrick is the best basic team you probably have. Replacing Fredrick with a better green unit like your Nino if you get her to 5* eventually would be good, since you don't plan to invest in him anyway. Also you might as well pull for Ike tomorrow unless you just don't like him, since he's almost guaranteed to be a really good red sword unit.

Sorry for being long-winded and bouncing around with some of the answers, hope at least some of this was helpful.

Edited by Alkaid

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

I'm pretty sure this topic isn't breaking any rules. If so I apologize and let me know what to fix.

New player here. F2P for now. I've played and beaten FE6/7/8/9/10. 7 and 10 remain my favorites. Haven't played the older games but I know some info about them and the characters to an extent. I know little to nothing about Awakening/Fates though. I've been playing this game for... 3-4 days maybe? It's rather addictive to be honest. Haven't got anyone to 40 yet but I've been blessed with 4 5* stars so far. 

5* Young Tiki, Frederick, Faye, Lukas.

4* Kagero, Chrom, Palla, Gunter, Jeorge, Virion, Henry, Robin(M), Odin, Abel, Hana, Jagen, Arthur, Wrys, Beruka, Maria, Oboro, Draug, Sully

3* Matthew, Gaius, Serra, Lissa, Catria, Est, Stahl, Subaki, Niles, Shareena, Lon Qu, Cecila, Azama, Nino, Setsuna, Eliwood, Palla, Niles, Zephiel, Sophia, Fir

2* Alfonse, Virion, Raigh, Subaki, Gunter, Felicia

1* Gunter, Felicia

First team was led by 4* Chrom and Kagero both of whom I was lucky enough to get as my very first pool. Chrom/Kagero/Arthur/Jagen were my first main team. They carried me into the 20s and then started falling apart. My current main team is Frederick/Kagero/Y.Tiki with alternations for the 4th between 3* Subaki and 4* Chrom.

4* Chrom and Hana are the best I have for swordies. Don't have any exceptional lancers yet either and this whole inheriting thing makes me scared to spend SP on my main units. (Though I still have to a degree.). Also not sure who I'm going to keep in the long run besides Kagero and I don't know if I should sacrifice 4*s for their skills on characters that might not be my endgame (Like Frederick who is currently sitting on 350 SP). I don't fully understand the IV thing yet and I'm not entirely sure how the + and - bases work. But I'm pretty sure I have a +ATK Kagero and Nino. While I really want to get Matthew from 2* to 5* since playing this game Kagero remains my highest leveled unit and I want to 5* her but I don't know if I should save for her or upgrade some 3*s to inherit skills to her or Frederick (or should I hold out for Hector or level up Gunter?)

Characters I've been giving extra leveling attention to and ultimately want to 4* and 5* star are Kagero, Catria, Nino and Matthew. Chrom seems like an obvious choice but he's been really underwhelming to me and I kind of want to hold out for a better sword unit because at 4* neither him or Hana are particularly special. Palla has been doing really well for me and she's 4* but I don't know how worth it she is in the long term and I'm sure one of my units could really use that MoonBow.

The #1 character I want in this game is Lyn. She and Hector are my respective 2 that I want the most regardless of tiers. 

My dream team for this game is currently 5* Lyn/Hector/Matthew/Nino. Ike is probably the only character that could stand in for Lyn, but he's not around just yet.

Biggest things for me right now are...

1. currently I don't have a "Main" lance user. Subaki's lance and absurd def comes in handy but almost half the time he can't even damage his target on the higher levels. Catria seems like she's a beast but she's only a 3 star and I don't know if it's worth spending 2k of my 6k feathers on boosting her or waiting. Should I invest in leveling my 5* Lukas (Lv 22) or *4 Abel (Lv 20) and using one of as a stand in lance user for my main team or just fill the gap with someone like 4* Robin(M)

2. Is it worth going for 5* Matthew or even 5* Jaffar when I'm sitting on a 4* +ATK Kagero that I can 5 star later on?

3. Lyn is my ideal sword unit, but is it worth it to invest in Chrom right now as my swordie? Hana kind of sucks.

4. What do I do with Robin? He only comes at 3* and 4*. Should I keep him and boost him to 5*? Or even if I boost him should I give his seal spd to another? He's miles better than Odin... maybe I'm thinking too far ahead.

5. Should I bother continuing to roll specifically for Lyn if I come across a Ryoma, Lucina, Marth or Erika? In terms of optimal performance.

6. Virion is great Inherit food for Seal Spd, but Jeorge is pretty good and I have a 5* Faye. But is it worth using any of these units or should I just stick to Kagero and pray for Takumi in the long run?

7. Should I just send Faye home because with her skill setup I'm not really seeing any useful inheriting utility for her or even usefulness as a unit aside from helping to level a Takumi later on. I could certainly use the feathers, but sending away one of my 5* units just sounds surreal. Advice? Her bow is nifty.

8. Shareena is a resource SINKHOLE. Alfonse I didn't bother with but Shareena is pretty decent overall. Since there's only one of her and I've brought her to 4* who should I 4 star, her or Catria?

9. Frederick is currently my #2. But it turns out there are quite a few better axe users, should I invest rare skills into him or just use him as a foothold until say... a Hector/Raven/Camilla comes along.

10. I have my current composition. But out of all the characters I have currently and at their current star ranks. What is the most "optimal" team I can have?

12. How do I move forward this early? Lunatic is pretty difficult right now and I need skills but I'm afraid to spend SP or waste units that don't have their 3rd level of their tier through inheriting. Most of the best stuff comes from *4 or *5 units that are hard to come by.

My tactician name is Tenk. Friend code coming later.

1. Your main lance user is Lukas. Hands down

2. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT. A five star Matthew will never serve you as well as Kagero!

3. I also like Lyn as a stereotypical 5 star unit. Chrom is not worth it. Just keep using Tiki as your main red unit

4. If you have no other good blue tomes, I'd say Male robin is pretty good for you. He tanks neutrals with the T-adept sword breaker build and also functions as a red tank as well. I'd wait on 5 staring him though. Unless swords and/or bows or Takumi become a problem, don't 5 star him.

5. Ryoma, and Lucina are higher on the tier list than Lyn so if you get them I'd just roll with it

6. Bows kind of fell off in the arena (Except Takumi). So I'd just stick with Faye tbh.

7.DO NOT SEND AWAY FIVE STARS! EVER!

8. Sharena is THE BEST of the Askr Trio. Alfonse is pretty bad and Anna is pretty okay. Sharena is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Catria. so promote her if you need her (you already have Lukas so you can wait a while)

9. I say just keep using him and swap out his hammer with a silver ax+ if you ever get one

10. There's so many different ways you can go, so it really depends on your play style

11. NO ONE

12. How to move forward fast:

Play every day

use ALL your stamina

5 star units only

spare light's blessings for harder story mode stuffs (like chapter 9 Lunatic)

@Zeo Updated!

Edited by Arcanite

Forgot to mention also that my Frederick is +1. I was... well... not versed very well on inheriting at all when I first drew him and well... I got... 2... 5* Fredericks... from... the... same... pull.

:|

Whoof. Lotta questions. I'd say you can justify making a topic for this since you have a lot of in-depth advice you're looking for... For future such things you can also ask around in the Skill Inheritance and 'Ask a question' threads.

But for now... lemme take a crack at some of these...

Spoiler

1. currently I don't have a "Main" lance user. Subaki's lance and absurd def comes in handy but almost half the time he can't even damage his target on the higher levels. Catria seems like she's a beast but she's only a 3 star and I don't know if it's worth spending 2k of my 6k feathers on boosting her or waiting. Should I invest in leveling my 5* Lukas (Lv 22) or *4 Abel (Lv 20) and using one of as a stand in lance user for my main team or just fill the gap with someone like 4* Robin(M)

IMO leveling your Lukas is your best use of resources right now. You're actually quite lucky in that your crop of 5*s actually constitutes a pretty balanced and useful team, so I'd lean pretty hard on them and get them all to lv40 for primary usage for now while you consider what to do with the others. 

It depends... If you really like Mattie and Jaffar, I'd say go for them, having your favorites is a good deal. In terms of effectiveness and optimization, however... It's pretty hard to beat Kagero. She WRECKS things and infantry is really common, and she might even perform better than Faye even as a 4*. Kagero was one of my first 5* upgrades and I do NOT regret that, haha. She will likely make your life a helluva lot easier. 

I think you can get away with relying on Tiki as your red unit; Chrom isn't bad or anything, but his main niche is Falchion and right now the blue manaketes (many of them carrying Swordbreaker) are some of the more prominent dragon-related threats in the arena metagame... So I'd say do it if you want, but if you can train her up Tiki should do you fine for the time being. kinda goes back to my 'lean hard on your 5* guys' advice from earlier.

Again, depends. If you're like me and really like Robin, go for it. If not, I'd say don't bother for now (but either way definitely hold onto him-- if nothing else he's great for Bonfire fodder, and 5* Robin can be really good with Triangle Adept.

Optimally? Ryoma and Lucina are what you want. If you're like me and like to play favorites more than the effectives than keep shooting for Lyn lol. It's your call, but if we're talking optimally speaking... well, technically they all kinda serve different purposes; but Ryoma and Luci pretty much do the same thing Lyn does, and many would argue they do it better. 

Between Kagero and Faye you should be fine for now. Hoarding your resources is always a good option. ALWAYS.

See above. If you scrap her now, a future situation might arise where you might be missing something she could give (whether the bow or whatever). If she ain't good, don't use her, but hold onto her for now IMO.

Depends on whether you need a buffer or a freely-mobile tank (depending on what else you do with Catria) ; Sharena is generally pretty good and makes a good filler teammate. If you've brought her this far, might as well right? Or you could wait and consider it further haha.

Fred is pretty solid if you get him a different weapon especially, and you have noooo guarantee that those others will come along. I'd invest anything you feel comfortable with into him (though if you need more detailed suggestions we can provide that as well). 

I'd say Nino, Sharena (for buffing), y!Tiki, and Kagero... though since they're all infantry you'll have to watch out for other Kagero. If archers/kagero/falchions or other swords prove problematic for you, then raising up m!Robin as a counter to them would probably be a good idea.

Wrys, Beruka, Oboro, Draug and Est have probably the least useful skill sets to go for relative to their rarity and feather returns as long as you're not particularly attached to them. Some skills that MIGHT be useful as filler if nothing else you could consider them for include Seal Def from Oboro and Seal Res from est, though Draug and Beruka could also be useful for their 5* weapons if you are ever able to hoard enough for them and have the right units to use them with. (Beruka also has some weird and kinda niche skills like Defiant Def and Lunge, which are normally not that good but can have situational uses). 

Another thing to consider is the existence of quests like the all-flier and all-armor stuff, which usually yield orbs as rewards as well, so even then it might be in your best interest to hold onto those guys. I'd say Wrys is probably the only one I'd send home without a second thought since his main skill is healers-only (unless you really want to build a mass-healer). 

Lunatic is definitely tough man. My advice would be to grind your 5* guys and maybe some 4* folks you like (IE Kagero and Robin if you decide to use him) in the Training Tower and proceed when you're comfortable. If your main team is maxed, don't hesitate to use a Light's Blessing on the levels of the final chapter (so long as you're positive you can definitely win with it) if you're struggling a bit. Light's Blessings aren't needed that often and IMO the tough story missions are one of the best places to burn them.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: @ the frederick thing wow. so five 5* pulls technically? That's pretty good for starting so early... (I've been playing since launch and have 5, sent home a marth pretty early... lol...)

Dude I feel like it was kinda meant to be with Fred, man. I think you should go for it. x3

Edited by BANRYU

2 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Forgot to mention also that my Frederick is +1. I was... well... not versed very well on inheriting at all when I first drew him and well... I got... 2... 5* Fredericks... from... the... same... pull.

:|

WHAAAT. DUDE YOU LUCKY SON OF A GUN.

I tried for another 5 star Freddy to make mine +1 too. So jealous. xP Still, if you haven't started leveling him yet, check his bane and boon. You can do so using the stat calculator on the Heroes Wiki. Just google it and it'll come up.

Ah, that is true-- checking IVs is a big matter to consider with these, as some can be REALLY good or more lackluster depending on their nature. I'd strongly recommend doing that with anyone you can-- if your units aren't level 1 or 40 but are at least level 20, you can look at them in the star-upgrading menu to see their level 1 stats for the next rarity up. 

1 hour ago, Quintessence said:

Holy shit so much to digest.

First off, you have a good pool of units and the first thing you should build is lv. 40 5☆s no matter who they are (as every unit is salvageable and useful) and have a dancer and a decent/reliable healer. Then, work on the units you like or need.

Lukas is afaik pretty good as a lance unit with high def and hp. Give him bonfire/ignis and quick riposte if you have any source unit. Don't panic on trying to optimize your pool as you're just beginning, work with what you have and build a good synergy among them, as you're a f2p player.

IVs work like pokemon natures, each character have a base stat spread, but some come with a boon (in which case, said stat will be higher than its base) and a bane (in which case, said stat will be lower than its base), but others come neutral, with its base stat spread. In order to check the boon/bane of your character, check them either at lv. 1 or lv. 40 on the IV calculator on the FEH wiki. For more info, you can visit @Ice Dragon's thread in this same section, which is pinned and provides a whole lot of valuable info and tidbits of formulas and how some stuff (like skills) work.

Regarding augmenting and whatnot, you can opt to 5☆ whoever you want but build a good team for them. Matthew is generally outclassed by Kagero on the offensive department but some 10th stratum Matthews have given me headaches, so hey, why not. There's even an user here that 5☆'d a Niles.

The sword users you mention are good but need to be used with caution. Palla is pretty good on flier teams and has ruby sword which makes her stand good against any green unit. Chrom is a semi tank with high attack but slow as hell, and with weak res so beware any mages. Hana is pretty good but has wet paper durability so mostly use her to nuke (specially green armors or any green unit) and then cover her or use assist skills (like swap, reposition or pivot) to protect her. So keep them, train them if you like and wait for a sword 5☆ like Ike!

1. Lukas. 5☆ should be held at top priority. Afterwards, train whoever you want. Abel, Catria and Subaki are pretty good.

2. 5☆ Kagero if you want a 5☆ shuriken user. Then go for Matthew.

3. Work with what you have right now. Train both, Chrom first.

4. Robin is 5☆ material. People run him with Triangle Adept 3 and Swordbreaker 3 in order to wreck sword enemies.

5. If you're getting Lyn, you're getting Lyn at some given moment but don't force unless there is a focus banner on her. Preferably try to pull Ike.

6. Work with what you have. Faye is decent, Virion is ok and Jeorge hits hard so don't think on what you lack.

7. DON'T SEND A 5☆ HOME UNLESS IT IS A DUPLICATE. You never know when will they serve you. Don't overthink it, don't try to optimize stuff right now; it's like optimizing a first run on any game.

8. Sharena. The lords at 5☆s are pretty good. Not the best in the game though.

9. Inherit skills always work on 5☆s and units you know you'll keep.

10. Depends on what you're aiming. Your 4 5☆s are good but they lack a bit of synergy. I'd change Faye for Kagero occassionally. Also, Nino with a good buff team is pretty beast, so keep an eye on her.

11. You're the only one that should answer this question while you progress through the game. Send home dupes or units you surely won't use.

12. Right now, lv. 40 all your 5☆s, train a healer like Wrys and get Olivia on the daily special quest. 4☆ Olivia to get Dance and Hone Atk 3 for good support. Progress slowly through the story and recommneded level story maps and don't try to rush lunatic unless your team is superior and you've gained plenty confidence and experience on your team composition.

Throwing this here at your request :D

1. Go for Lukas, because he's already 5* and a decent lance. Promoting a unit to 5* is a pretty big deal. I've been playing since launch and have managed to only promote 3 units to 5* so far. Abel should be trained second. He can stay at 4* unless you really want to promote him. I found that he is very useful for events like the GHB due to having a brave lance and swordbreaker. 

2. Kagero is considered one of the better units in the current meta. But don't bother promoting her YET. You have a long road ahead of you till you amass those 20k feathers. You may pull better units or completely change your team by then. Wait until you get those 20k feathers before thinking of promotion. 

3. Since you don't have Lyn, make do with Chrom. He's a decent unit and should carry you fine for story mode. I was in the same boat with Roy until Ryoma came along. Should you invest in him? Wait till you amass 20k feathers first and if no better sword unit comes along, then sure. Chrom's 5* weapon is Falchion which is one of the best in game. 

4. Again. Wait till you amass those 20k feathers. Promoting should be decided based on what your current roaster of units are. Also keep him. He's great at dealing with colorless units.

5. You are F2P. Thus, I recommend pulling ALL orbs as long as you have a unit that you still want in that color. Doesn't matter if the unit you want is in focus. They'll come to you eventually and your stash of orbs is finite

6. Stick with Kagero. In fact, Takumi meta is kinda over now.

7. DON'T SEND UNITS HOME. YOU HAVE 200 SLOTS.  USE THEM. 

8. Stop thinking about promotion till you amassed the feathers. Trust me, your plans will change after you summon more units

9. Should you use Frederick? Yes. Should you invest skills in him? Not unless you want to use him in the long run.

10. Optimal for story mode? Kagero, Frederick, Y!Tiki, Lukas should get you pretty far.  Optimal for Arena? I might try switching Y!Tiki with Chrom due to the large abundance of Falchion users. But really it comes down to your play style

11. See answer number 7

12. Story mode lunatic should not give you any trouble (except for chapter 9) as long as you have a well balanced team of ranged/melee, physical/magical, and color. No need for SI. I finished the story with 3 4* units and 1 5*. Its fine. 

In short, don't send anyone home and don't bother with SI until you are happy with the team you have. Also get that free Olivia. Dancers are extremely useful. 

Some tips: Did you link you Nintendo account to your game and get those free 10 orbs? And recommended to upgrade your castle using orbs to get an experience multiplier. 

Edited by Kiran

2 hours ago, Zeo said:
Spoiler

*As a disclaimer, all advice looks purely at optimization. If you want to use one character over another regardless of tiers (ex: Lyn over other swords or Matthew over other thieves) then I say GO FOR IT. In the end, the game is mostly about having fun, and there's no better way to do that than to use your faves to the best of their abilities! No character is unsalvageable (and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise), and while I concede that some characters fulfill certain niches better than others, you really don't need to use "top tier" characters unless you're aiming for ranking in the top 1k of Arena, which is pretty difficult for a F2P as is. 

Also, of course, I don't claim to be an expert by any means. All of the following advice is my personal opinion, so take it with a grain or two of salt. Needless to say, the same applies to all advice given by other people as well.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about skill inheritance right now, but if you ask, I would be more than happy to give you skill recommendations for any of your characters. 

Of the options you have, I would say that your best lance users are either Lukas or the Sharena you got at the beginning of the game (who becomes an absolute beast at 5*s). Lukas is the tankier option while Sharena offers more team support, but both do their job of walling red units well. 

M!Robin is also a great option if you needed a magic blue, but he offers a different niche than the physical lance users. As such, it's hard to recommend one over the other without knowing what specific role your team needs that blue unit to fill. He's a very solid unit though and should be trained up alongside your spear unit of choice. 

Kagero is easily the best of the thieves, so she should definitely get priority imo

The thing about this question though is that Kagero is unique because she fills a different niche than all of the other thief units.

Thieves in general are not meant to kill units on their own but instead focus more on debuffing and softening up opponents for your other units to finish off. The problem with this is that the competitive Arena meta right now is very heavily centered around one-shotting opponents with glass cannons. There is no reason to take a thief when you can take a stronger nuke to ORKO the opponent outright. Debuffing with a thief then finishing off takes two people to fill the job of one. 

Kagero is unique because unlike other thieves, her niche is that of a glass cannon that OHKOs her victims, which is exactly in line with the current meta and hence why she's so popular right now. 

Short answer: If you have no other way to deal with dragons (namely other Falchion units or Julia), then yes. Otherwise no. 

Hana is admittedly lackluster with her default kit, but she's incredibly terrifying with skill inheritance (namely a Brave Sword + Desperation build, which allows her to hit most enemies four times before they get a chance to retaliate (and they often won't)). The problem with this though is that it's a rather expensive build, so you're probably best off sticking with Lyn. 

Also, as far as Lyn goes, there are two recommendations I have for you in terms of skills. 

First of all, Brash Assault. It's a skill that's seldom used because it's incredibly niche, but Lyn makes use of it in a way that no other unit can. I won't bog you down with the details, but basically, when combined with her Sol Katti, it allows her to double many enemies that are normally two fast for her to double AND allows her to get in both of her attacks at the beginning (similar to if she had a Brave weapon) instead of having the opponent counterattack between her two hits. 

Secondly, this is less for Lyn specifically and more just a general piece of advice: Galeforce is not worth it. In fact, basically any special with a charge of 5 is not worth it because the cooldown is so high that you'll either never get it off or there'll only be one enemy left by the time you do, in which case it really isn't worth it. While we're at it, the Night Sky/Glimmer/Astra skill tree is the worst of the offensive skill tree because of how its damage is calculated. Lyn makes much better use of a proc like Luna, and even Draconic Aura, Bonfire, and Iceberg suit her better than Night Sky/Astra. 

If you have no other counter to enemy archers and thieves (or no other good blue mages), I would definitely boost Robin. 

Robin's primary niche is colorless slayer because of his unique tome, and he fills that role quite well. In fact, a M!Robin with Triangle Adept 3 takes a whopping 0 damage from Takumi (1 damage if Takumi is +Atk. Terrifying). His speed is lackluster but is very easily fixed by attaching the appropriate breaker (usually either Swordbreaker or Lancebreaker) to allow him to double those units regardless of the speed difference. This is often enough to net him an easy kill (especially on swords if you have Triangle Adept).

I actually quite disagree with Anacybele's advice regarding M!Robin. Bowbreaker is largely unnecessary because he takes such little damage from bows anyways that you're better off facetanking them and using your B-skill to equip another breaker that nets you more kills. Also, -Spd may have been a poor nature for him prior to skill inheritance, but that is no longer the case. This is both because he takes such little damage from colorless ranged units (except perhaps Kagero) that being doubled doesn't affect him at all (in some cases it's a good thing because you get to charge his special faster) and because inheriting a breaker skill allows you to double regardless of your speed. 

5. Should I bother continuing to roll specifically for Lyn if I come across a Ryoma, Lucina, Marth or Eirika? In terms of optimal performance.

In terms of optimization? No. 

Every single one of those units is arguably better as a red sword than Lyn (though it's difficult to directly compare her to Eirika because Eirika's niche is vastly different from the other sword lords. Eirika is not nearly as good as they are as a combat unit, but she excels as one of the best support units in the game).

That said, Lyn is not so vastly outclassed that you're shooting yourself in the foot by using her, and in many cases she'll perform just fine in her role as a red sword unit. If you like her as much as you seem to, I'd say keep going. 

As a colorless unit, Kagero is vastly superior to all of them. I honestly think Takumi is overhyped (especially after skill inheritance, which has brought about so many more ways to counter him or render him obsolete), and the best archers right now are either Klein or Setsuna with a quad Brave Bow+/Desperation build. 

If you wanted to use an archer though, Jeorge is the best one you have right now. 

You'll likely hear the same advice from several other people, but I just want to make sure to drive it home: NEVER send units home. There is no unit in the entire game that is unsalvageable, and you'll never know when the meta will change or when you'll need certain units to help with specific maps (like Grand Hero Battles). Especially not for the paltry amount of feathers you get from it (1000 may seem like a lot early on, but it's definitely not worth it in the long run). 

I would prioritize the many other good units you have, such as Robin and Kagero, over her right now, but I'd hold onto her. 

8. Sharena is a resource SINKHOLE. Alfonse I didn't bother with but Sharena is pretty decent overall. Since there's only one of her and I've brought her to 4* who should I 4 star, her or Catria?

Sharena easily. 

She may not seem like it now, but Sharena at 5* is one of the top lancers in the entire game and does her job better than most. Catria doesn't offer nearly as much as Sharena does.

Also Sharena's cuter.

#1 rule of gachas: never hold out for a specific character (barring focus banners), especially one as rare as Hector. You could very reasonably spend over $1000 on this game and still not get Hector. It's just not worth holding out for. (Also Camilla is quite frankly nothing more than Brave Axe+ inheritance fodder for Cherche, who does literally everything Camilla does but far better) (though if you like her, then don't let me stop you from hoping for her, of course). 

Frederick's vanilla set isn't amazing, but he's fine. 

He actually has a very solid attack stat and has amazing defense (I used Frederick to take a direct blow from Zephiel in his last Lunatic GHB). 

The best thing you can do with him is to give him something to fix his doubling problems (Quick Riposte is the best option, but lance/axebreaker are other options) while Bonfire adds a ton of damage. If you wanted him to deal with armored units specifically, then you can always go with his default hammer, but in general I think his best set is Killer Axe + Quick Riposte + Bonfire, which offers much greater damage and killing potential than he currently has. 

Alternatively, you could go for a Brave Axe+/Death Blow offensive set to take advantage of his attack. He has a lot of options once you start looking past his initial skillset. 

Right now, my vote goes to Y!Tiki, Frederick, Lukas, and Kagero. 

Unfortunately, Tiki aside, that team lacks magic damage, so I would recommend training up either M!Robin or Nino (Robin can replace Lukas and Nino can replace Frederick. Either of them can replace Kagero). 

No one. There's absolutely no reason to send units home until your barracks are full, which shouldn't be happening for quite some time.

I really wouldn't dabble too much with skill inheritance until you have a better grasp of the game's mechanics. 

For now, the most important thing you can do is train your units up in the Training Tower. 

This was all a lot of information, but I hope you found at least some of it helpful! Serenes is a very friendly community overall, so if there's anything else you need help with, just reach out on the Ask a Question thread, and someone will be sure to lend a helping hand! If you wanted to ask anything to me specifically, my inbox is always open :D

^ I put answers in spoilers to save space

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

Sorry for the long response, I don't know how to spoiler tag this ;u;

1. Lukas! For the reasons others have listed above :)

2. Kagero's a fantastic unit, especially with +ATK. I would definitely go with her unless you REALLY like Matthew and Jaffar, or pull some other fantastic 4* later on that better fits your team. 

3. I would argue that you don't necessarily need a swordie if you have Y!Tiki (as far as arena goes), since she takes out Hector easily and most high res greens are pretty squishy in defense. If you want a sword character, though, Chrom is decent but nothing spectacular. His attack is great, his speed is...nyehhh. He works respectably well as a sword character if you don't have any good reds, but imo Y!Tiki is better. Just make sure to avoid Falchion users.

4. M!Robin is pretty great, but I'd wait to 5* him for now since imo Kagero is a better choice for promotion. Also since he's decently common, it might be a good idea to wait for one that has a good boon/bane, assuming your current one doesn't.

5. Ryoma and Lucina are generally considered better than Lyn. Not too sure about Marth, and Eirika kind of fills a different niche than Lyn. If Lyn's a favorite, I'd still suggest you pull for her!

6. I would stick to Kagero, but hang on to the others. You never know when they'll be useful.

7. Noooooo 2k feathers isn't worth a 5* :'( You may end up needing her skills or her some time in the future, and especially if you stay F2P you never know if you'll pull a character in the same niche again.

8. It really depends what type of unit you're looking for. Sharena if you want a solid support unit with good defense/attack, Catria if you want a flying tank.

9. Fred is still a solid unit, and you never know if or when you'll end up pulling Hector/Raven/Camilla. And you have him at +1! I would invest in him, but maybe only with skills that come from decently common units. It's not really worth passing really rare skills onto him unless you plan on using him for the long run or really like Frederick.

10. For now I'd suggest Y!Tiki/Lukas/Fred/Kagero, possibly replacing Fred/Lukas with Nino/Sharena if you promote Nino to 5*. Though if you end up pulling a dancer, I'd highly suggest replacing one of your units with them. I've personally had really good mileage with dancers and running Olivia helped me raise my arena score by 1000 points. Of course, this is personal experience and we may have different playstyles.

11. nOOOO (except Est). I'll admit I'm a bit of a hoarder, but I really don't think it's worth sending units home unless they're duplicates (or named Est). I sent a lot of subpar units home initially and they ended up popping up in quests and there were 4 armor/4 flier/4 cav quests and such and...yeah I was sad. It may be really annoying not having many feathers right now, but once you've progressed farther into the game you'll have a solid arena team that can score you lots of feathers every week, and you'll be pulling duplicates left and right that you can then send home. It probably wouldn't hurt to send a healer like Wrys home, but I prefer feeding all of my healers to one of them to build one super healer. (I'm kidding about Est btw, I just dislike her haha)

12. You shouldn't need SI to pass storymode Lunatic, but the chapters are quite tough. I overlevelled my main team in the Training Tower to pass a majority of the chapters, and used Light's Blessings on the last few. If you're still having a hard time with some of them, I think there are video tutorials of a few of the harder ones using free/common units.

In general, though, I'd hold off on SI/sending units home until you're done with the story and have pulled more units. I passed story mode with one 5* and three 4*'s before SI was a thing, so it's definitely possible to do! You'll also have a better sense of your own playstyle after going through the story, so you'll have a better idea of which skills and which units you want.