Fire Emblem Echoes sold less on its first week in Japan than either Shadow Dragon or New Mystery did.

Nobody

10 hours ago, Harvey said:

I just don't get why Nintendo/IS refuses to localise the cipher brand to the west to begin with? If anything, it would just make the whole Echoes sale thing less meaningful.

It's called "risk vs. resources"

Have you ever heard of a game called Battle Spirits?

It died here.

While in Japan, it's still going strong.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

It's called "risk vs. resources"

Have you ever heard of a game called Battle Spirits?

It died here.

While in Japan, it's still going strong.

That was due to lack of publicity....which in other words means lack of marketing. 

Heck I can say the same for puzzles & Dragons as well. popular in Japan but not so much here and its due to an...odd marketing efforts.

I believe I already posted something about Echoes selling 80-100% of it's ship rate which would be around expectations for Nintendo. I think they're pretty clear about the status of Gaiden as the black sheep of the series.

Fire Emblem is one of the old Nintendo IPs which has actually become more relevant instead of less relevant in recent years. It's far more mainstream than it used to be, thanks to Awakening, and also Fates. I think it's still more mainstream in Japan than it is over in the West though.

Also, in regards to Chrom, only Smash has treated him as a joke (in part because Robin was the far more interesting character in terms of moveset potential, while Lucina could get in as a clone character because she impersonates Marth in the story of Awakening; Chrom still made it in as part of Robin's Final Smash). Otherwise, he has appeared in a lot of games outside Fire Emblem, and has been a main character of TMS #FE and is literally the first (and so far, only) character shown for Fire Emblem Warriors (and may possibly be one of the main protagonists there too). He is one of the more iconic characters in Fire Emblem at the moment for sure.

Also, now that the developers have shaken of the "true way to do Fire Emblem" thought process, I wouldn't bet on subsequent games resembling anything like the old Fire Emblem games (even the new ones, but moreso the old) besides the absolute core gameplay.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

To be fair, getting Nintendo merchandise localized in the first place just doesn't happen. Unless it's either Pokemon or Mario. But like, that's it. Occasionally, there's like the Fates keychains for people who pre-ordered the SE but other than that, nope.

What about Zelda, Kirby? Don't forget that Amiibo is also part of the merchandise here.

7 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Fire Emblem will always be Japan focused first when it comes to priority of exclusive merchandise, releasing games, etc before everywhere else that just get "special editions" always have been like that always will be.

Which is why unless Nintendo wants it to go big, it NEEDS to be international. Hence, its niche despite it doing better than before.

Also, would it make any difference if it sold 232,000 copies in the first week instead?

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

What about Zelda, Kirby? Don't forget that Amiibo is also part of the merchandise here.

Which is why unless Nintendo wants it to go big, it NEEDS to be international. Hence, its niche despite it doing better than before.

Also, would it make any difference if it sold 232,000 copies in the first week instead?

I should've specified. Besides Amiibo, the West rarely gets merchendise of anything that isn't Mario or Pokemon. 

It's not niche. Just because it barely has merchendise outside of Japan doesn't make it niche. Everyone agrees Fire Emblem is A-Tier status now. And a lot of A-Tier Nintendo series don't/rarely have merchendise outside of Japan.

Yes actually. For starters, some people wouldn't be getting all doom and gloom about the future of the series.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

I should've specified. Besides Amiibo, the West rarely gets merchendise of anything that isn't Mario or Pokemon. 

It's not niche. Just because it barely has merchendise outside of Japan doesn't make it niche. Everyone agrees Fire Emblem is A-Tier status now. And a lot of A-Tier Nintendo series don't/rarely have merchendise outside of Japan.

Yes actually. For starters, some people wouldn't be getting all doom and gloom about the future of the series.

I don't think it's A-Tier, unless an S-Tier exists. And I'm not just saing this based off of my dismal perspective of Echoes' sales, but even including Awakening and Fates' sales. Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Zelda (although Zelda doesn't sell as well as the previous three, I bleieve BotW can reach 10 million, and industry praise of Zelda alone makes it enough for it to be in the same tier). Fire Emblem has to be a tier lower than those guys, because it doesn't sell like Mario or Pokemon, and does not have the same level of praise as Zelda. It's in the same tier as Kirby. And while I thought that it had potential to reach the big guys eventually, I think that a tier below those four is where it will stay. 

Edited by Dandee Leone

6 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

I don't think it's A-Tier, unless an S-Tier exists. 

S-Tier exists. That's where the Big 3 (Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda) all hang out.

Which is why FE is A-Tier.

Edited by Armagon

10 hours ago, Dandee Leone said:

although Zelda doesn't sell as well as the previous three, I bleieve BotW can reach 10 million, and industry praise of Zelda alone makes it enough for it to be in the same tier

Zelda as a whole sold 65 million units and it is the top adventure ip ever.

It may not do mario and pikemon levels but those numbers are still legendary.

and does not have the same level of praise as Zelda.

Almost every single FE game out there has received high scores..even shadow dragon. And two of them are critically acclaimed.

It's in the same tier as Kirby.

Kirby games are milked more than FE games...and it sold 30 million units as a whole...FE isn't even close to that number...

Kirby has been known eveywhere since Kirby's dreamland unlike FE whch was known only after blazing blade showed up...so its not on par with kirby sales wise.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

S-Tier exists. That's where the Big 3 (Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda) all hang out.

Which is why FE is A-Tier.

Just what is A tier exactly?

On 5/1/2017 at 6:08 AM, Harvey said:

Yeah it would've make people less worried but that never happened.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

4 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Yeah it would've make people less worried

How so? That still implies that it couldn't sell higher than fates which would still be worrying.....

I do wish that serenesforest would do a talking point about this conversation...while it would still make arguments, it would have atleast sorted out some stuff....

6 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Kirby, FE, Pikmin, Yoshi, and Wario.

Pikmin isn't A. That's like, low-B, high-C-Tier.

Yoshi, DK and Wario can be grouped with Mario, as those are mainly spin-offs.

Just now, Armagon said:

Yoshi, DK and Wario can be grouped with Mario, as those are mainly spin-offs.

Warioware is its own entity, as is most of DK (Cranky and DK Jr., as well as Mario and DK, can be Mario). Also, could you count Mii games as Tier A? Just as well if you can't, as they might also be S Tier considering they basically sold as much as the Wii.

5 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Warioware is its own entity, as is most of DK (Cranky and DK Jr., as well as Mario and DK, can be Mario). Also, could you count Mii games as Tier A? Just as well if you can't, as they might also be S Tier considering they basically sold as much as the Wii.

The Warioware, Yoshi, and DK games all still take place in the Mario universe, which is why i don't consider them it's own entity unless it's Smash.

As for the Mii games, it's weird. Miis are an enigma. I guess they could be S-Tier.

To me the sale are decent not amazing or great like Awakening or Fates but it still did sell like 80% of it shipment so yeah. We all know the switch games are what Nintendo is really concern about. The Fire Emblem franchise to me is about high B tier to maybe really low A but that it.

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

How so? That still implies that it couldn't sell higher than fates which would still be worrying.....

I do wish that serenesforest would do a talking point about this conversation...while it would still make arguments, it would have atleast sorted out some stuff....

It would be 1/4 over of 1 mill for 1 region alone for a remake game that didn't get pushed enough that would ease alot of people. No one expects it to be higher than Awakening or Fates since those games were massively marketed but if it was high enough close to Fates it shows that it didn't need that much of it to sell which unfortunately it didn't but still met the expectations from Nintendo regardless it obviously wasn't their big game that's what FE Switch will be and I'm 100% positive its gonna get marketed massively.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Famitsu just released their sales numbers for last week. Echoes sold 25,099 copies, a 81% drop from its first week numbers (it sold 131,688 copies on first week according to them, very slightly different numbers from media create), which is a very predictable drop if you know how japanese game sales work. The game's numbers won't deviate much from FE11 and 12, so expect approximately 240,000 physical copies sold in Japan when all is said and done. It's at 158,509 copies sold in total after the second week.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1368148

Edited by Nobody

25 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Famitsu just released their sales numbers for last week. Echoes sold 25,099 copies, a 81% drop from its first week numbers (it sold 131,688 copies on first week according to them, very slightly different numbers from media create), which is a very predictable drop if you know how japanese game sales work. The game's numbers won't deviate much from FE11 and 12, so expect approximately 240,000 physical copies sold in Japan when all is said and done. It's at 158,509 copies sold in total after the second week.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1368148

This could be due to the fact that MK8D was release last week and again Switch hype. Honestly I think Nintendo sent this game to die with it's release date. We still need to see the Western sales, though I doubt on the Western's side the sales will do that much better anyway.

5 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Oh great...Echoes can't even outsell a licensed game which is Dragon Ball Fusions...

Now we're screwed

are you actually joking right now because I can't tell

dragon ball has like 20 times as many fans as fire emblem, of course it's gonna sell better

Just now, unique said:

are you actually joking right now because I can't tell

dragon ball has like 20 times as many fans as fire emblem, of course it's gonna sell better

I was referring of how licensed based games generally don't sell well or atleast aren't that major compared to the other games. In which case I meant that a licensed based game managed to outsell Fire Emblem by a ton.

11 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Oh great...Echoes can't even outsell a licensed game which is Dragon Ball Fusions...

Now we're screwed.....

Uhh, echoes sold better on first week than the dragon ball game lol

first week sales tend to be bigger than everything else

for the record, no fire emblem second week sales would be higher than that dragon ball first week sales (well, except maybe the original mystery of the emblem, but i don't have its numbers)

again, you can't compare first week and second week sales

Edited by Nobody

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Uhh, echoes sold better on first week than the dragon ball game lol

first week sales tend to be bigger than everything else

for the record, no fire emblem second week sales would be higher than that dragon ball first week sales.

again, you can't compare first week and second week sales

And why is it that? It could be possible that second week sales can do wonders compared to first week sales. That's what happened for the first Fire Emblem game remember?

10 minutes ago, Harvey said:

And why is it that? It could be possible that second week sales can do wonders compared to first week sales. That's what happened for the first Fire Emblem game remember?

You clearly don't know anything about japanese game sales. With few exceptions (including mario kart, which will just keep selling), games's sales tend to be extremely front loaded i.e most of them happen on first week. That dragon ball game will see a 70~80% drop in sales on its second week just like echoes did. It's just how game sales are in japan. First week sales are extremely higher than other weeks'. Go read older media create threads and you will see that huge drops on week two are the norm and happen to 95% of the games, even huge ones like monster hunter.

So yeah, no, it's not possible for a game like fire emblem to not have much lower sales on week two.

Edited by Nobody