Problem ripping and patching TRS

Sonus

I'm having problems patching TRS, and I think it may have to do with the ripping process. According to the readme linked here, I'm to

Acquire a Japanese copy of TearRing Saga. If you rip the game from the disk, you'll most likely end up with an *.ECM file. This is a compressed file, which needs to be decompressed with a tool like UnECM. After all is said and done, you should have a *.BIN file of the game that's about 594 MB or 566 MiB.

I bought a Japanese copy of the game, but, no matter what I use to rip the game, I get a file that is about 580 MB or smaller. I've tried ImgBurn—which is what I normally use for PS1 games—and CD Clone, and I've tried ripping the game to various formats (.bin, .iso, etc.). The game itself runs fine on my PSP and on ePSXe, but whenever I patch it, it either remains in Japanese (on PSP) or crashes the emulator (ePSXe). Any idea what may be wrong? The people at the RH.net forums said that I might have a different version of the game. Is this the problem?

Tl;dr: When I rip TRS, it's too small a file (~580 MB) to patch according to the readme for the newest patch. Can anyone diagnose why the file ends up being too small and/or offer a solution so I can play the game? Thanks in advance.