Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Maybe the solution is to stop putting obvious favorites that everyone knows is going to curbstomp ahead of time.

That's what I said from since the Ephraim gauntlet!

They should all have characters nobody cares about so its nice and even!

Or have characters everyone cares about so its nice and even!

3 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

That would make too much sense. We clearly need overly convoluted mechanics which make it a game of chance instead of a ballot.

I agree

16 minutes ago, ArCAWnite said:

Its always been better to root for the underdog XD

Turncoat

When I caw some people with 300k points and higher I was like, is everyone hacking or something?

Then I realized

Triple points

Seems a little unfair if you ask me, but eh whatever. Merric might still have a chance on this one

Also I just got a Nino with pass from someone my friends list........

Que?

Merric's the original bookworm. Gotta root for him while I can. And one time I had a kid in one of my classes named Merric...who may or may not have unintentionally how can you not like a kid that draws you adorable pictures of cats???? been my favorite student. So it's my destiny to root for him. Or something like that. 

1 hour ago, SakuraFish said:

So apparently no one on my friendlist decided to fight for the surpreme tactician Robin. If anyone here supporting Robin wants to help me out, feel free to add me: 3550490661. My Rep is Lilina, which can make short work of all those pesky Greens our glorious Robins have to face.

I also really like the comeback mechanic, it makes things so much more interesting compared to the curb stomps the last two gauntlets.

I'm on team Robin and I added your code.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

C_oVcUbXkAEDfsH.jpg

Why does this count as "same" when we're like 22 million points behind (i may have done my math wrong but you get the point).

It's based on proportions not the actual gap (I'm pretty sure at least). 

Yeah this new system really doesn't seem any better. I mean, the massive blowouts all 3 times prior weren't good either, but now it just feels pointless in a different way.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Maybe the solution is to stop putting obvious favorites that everyone knows is going to curbstomp ahead of time.

You know, I feel like there's always going to be that character with the best odds of winning, that people will latch on to because they just want free feathers. And even if there isn't a ridiculously obvious winner, I think there will still be matches where one character will clearly win over the other, or where it will eventually become apparent that the losing side really can't do anything against the winning side. The truth of it is that it is a popularity contest, so who everyone concludes is the most popular out of the selection is always going to be the most likely to win, even if you replace characters like Lucina, Camilla & Tharja with lesser known characters. The only difference will be that if there are all just lesser known characters, there will be less interest in the gauntlets. As a way to keep people playing, from a purely business perspective, I see nothing wrong with including the obvious fan favourites. Now, as for from a gameplay perspective...

So I apparently don't have a single person in my friend list who's on team Sanaki

Is there anyone here that I could add/would add me?

My ID is 0477029002 and UN is the same as here. I currently have Azura as my lead, but I have plenty of units I could replace her with.

11 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

I'm on team Robin and I added your code.

Alright got ya! Faye is currently my lead, but I may switch it around later if needed.

The one who is losing during the last hour of the gauntlet is going to win, that 3X multiplier is OP.  Now it's essentially a battle of competitive players who plan every attack carefully vs non competitive players who do not plan every single move and just play.  If your team is mainly non competitive, you are kind of out of luck.

Just now, Anime27Arts said:

The one who is losing during the last hour of the gauntlet is going to win, that 3X multiplier is OP.  Now it's essentially a battle of competitive players who plan every attack carefully vs non competitive players who do not plan every single move and just play.  If your team is mainly non competitive, you are kind of out of luck.

I just realized that if I keep all my flags for when my team is at a disadvantage, I can score a ridiculous amount of points with the new x3 multiplier. Good thing I haven't spent a single flag yet.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

You don't have to keep her on my account.

Added you too fellow tactician. 

I have Defiant Speed for my Robin who is +Spd with a 33 speed because he can double units with 35 spd and there is a lot of them in that meta. Not to mention because scared of having TA with Merric around.

I think Tharja was ahead for two score updates, despite Team Linde having the x3 bonus, so it's not an all powerful cheat/easy overtake. It most certainly can be, and I get the hesitation surrounding it, and it is most definitely not the perfect system. It's definitely artificial balancing, if you get what I mean... Not sure I do.

Anyway:

Tharja: 1,752,656,029

Linde: 1,174,113,059

12 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

You know, I feel like there's always going to be that character with the best odds of winning, that people will latch on to because they just want free feathers. And even if there isn't a ridiculously obvious winner, I think there will still be matches where one character will clearly win over the other, or where it will eventually become apparent that the losing side really can't do anything against the winning side.

I agree. It's probably a good idea to not match up obvious winners like Thajra, Lucina, etc. against characters who have no chance of beating them, but as long as there's a reward for being on the winning team then even the slightest difference in popularity, things will probably snowball into a one-sided fight.

Really the simplest solution to "fixing" the voting gauntlet is to both make the pool of challengers more evenly matched and removing the feather bonus for being on the winning team so there's less incentive to just join the winning side.

As it stands, the 3x multiplier looks like it's just going to lead to every match being "obvious winner is in the lead, then the loser catches up for a bit, then the obvious winner shoots ahead again." Which I'm not sure is really an improvement.

The two last hours will determine who wins based on who is U (underdog) and F (Favorite)

If U got the bonus during the second to last hour the F will likely manage to clib back up during the last hour and win.
If U get the bonus during the last hour he/she will just win.
If U doesn't get the bonus during the last two hours then there is no way in hell F will lose.

I think that as more people start paticipating in the gauntlets the fan favs will start to pull through. Even if it's flawed, I like this new system. At least now you feel like your score matters somewhat.
Let's be honest, trying to beat a character that's a whole billion points ahead was just frustrating, there was little motivation to contribute. Of course, maybe they should widen the gap that makes the multiplier start, or even make it so it's just a 2x multiplier that becomes x3 if you're too far behind.

Sanaki is losing. That's disappointing. I really thought she'd easily beat Julia because a lot more people know about her since her games were released worldwide, unlike Julia's. But it looks like I'll never be on a winning team again...

Also, why do I keep getting battles with a bunch of Annas? Last time I used Anna myself because I decided to throw in a weak unit to make the opponent weak, but this time I DIDN'T and I'm STILL seeing at least two Annas... o.O

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sanaki is losing. That's disappointing. I really thought she'd easily beat Julia because a lot more people know about her since her games were released worldwide, unlike Julia's. But it looks like I'll never be on a winning team again...

Also, why do I keep getting battles with a bunch of Annas? Last time I used Anna myself because I decided to throw in a weak unit to make the opponent weak, but this time I DIDN'T and I'm STILL seeing at least two Annas... o.O

Especially considering Sanaki should have the advantage due to having Triangle Adept so if she faces someone else who has Julia enough said.

Edited by AbsoluteZer0Nova