Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

8 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Y'all,

Hide contents

There are other ways to look into Tharja's character other than whats on the surface. Yeah, she has a very sexualized appearance; yeah, she's not your average person in more ways than one. Need I remind you that the very fact that she's a horrible person is what makes her character much more unique and interesting than the rest of the cast. Even better that she has a "fuck your opinion" attitude doesn't try to hide who she is.

If you look at every Plegian there is, barring Mustafa, just about everyone there has some sort of "reason" for why they are how they are: Gangrel initially had justified intentions for Plegia but eventually went mad; Aversa was manipulated at an early age into what she is; Henry's quite literally insane (I forget exactly what happened with him, but I thin it was basically a result of neglect and environment?). Tharja has no such influence on her and pretty much just does what she wants and doesn't care what anyone else thinks. She's the bad apple in an army of goodies-goodies; the one unit that doesn't follow the status quo among the playable cast, that, with her niche, I find her to be awesome. At least, because of this, she's the only mage in Awakening that I actually like

The only ACTUAL flaw, in my opinion, is the obsession with Robin, which, if Awakening didn't have an Avatar system, much (not all, cause the others are just a matter of subjective tastes in characters) of the complaints about her would be nonexistent.

Admittedly, appreciating Tharja would probably require a different viewing lens on her as a character than you would as a person, but thats just my interpretation on her; the common "negative" qualities make her unique and thats why I like Tharja.

I say this as I didnt even side with her

More Tharja talk here. Don't open if not interested.

Spoiler

I can see where you're coming from with this. I'm not the kind of person who will usually dislike a character just because they're immoral (Hazama is my profile picture for crying out loud). One of my major problems with Tharja though is that she is allowed to be immoral but is consistently presented as being a genuinely good person despite her actions. When someone like Gangrel does something bad all the other characters in the story acknowledge how bad it is. When Tharja does something bad she can just kind of get away with it and nobody will act like she did anything wrong, or they will severely underact. I mean, can you imagine if it were Gangrel who had abused his daughter into becoming a miserable, mentally ill nervous wreck? No one would tolerate that crap for a moment. His actions would be presented as irredeemably evil by the writers and everyone would hate him. Everyone. When Tharja does it though it's played for comedy. While a character like Gangrel is clearly intentionally written to be a scumbag, Tharja comes across as a character who the writers genuinely wanted the player to find endearing, but ended up coming across as a scumbag anyway because the writers had no self awareness. There's a huge difference there.

Basically, Tharja comes across as a horrible person who is also completely immune to karma and can get away with doing anything she wants to anyone she wants and never really have to suffer any consequences for it. Combine this with the "Fuck your opinion" attitude you mentioned and you've got a recipe for a truly obnoxious character. If the other characters in the story had reacted to her immoral actions more accurately instead of just letting her do whatever she wants then I probably wouldn't hate her nearly as much as I do.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, immatx said:

Oh great, that first complaint sounds like me.....

Well there's nothing wrong with thinking that.  I enjoy the 3ds games but they definitely have issues.  Just don't act like thinking that makes you better than people that do like the new games and you're good.

Edited by pumpkinspice48

35 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Again though, why like a character if you wouldn't like them as a person?

Because characters are fictive creations, not people you have to interact with? A character who would be horrible person IRL can be interesting in the context of the story they're a part of. For example, a lot of characters in Fate/Zero are far from pleasant, but I really like some of them as characters because of how they interact and clash with each other in the confine of the show's plot. There's also a reason why the expression 'a character you love to hate' exist.

1 minute ago, pumpkinspice48 said:

Well there's nothing wrong with thinking that.  I like the 3ds games but they definitely have issues.  Just don't act like thinking that makes you better than people that do like the new games and you're good.

Hah, that would be very hypocritical of me. I watched about 90 forty minutes long episodes of a 110 episode series on Awakening, including all chapters and dlc (because I have no life). I really liked the game, I just don't like how big a part waifus and husbandos are now. Although I am glad it has more of an effect than in the gba games.

Noo!!  I forgot to check the notifications from using the phone D: @Arcanite It maybe too late for Crowboro.... but not too late for... 

Spoiler

TOMOBORO!! TOMOBORO!! TOMOBORO!!

Spoiler

Organictomato1.jpg

Spoiler

I am so sorry... don't know where all these terrible puns are coming from ._.

@Anime27Arts D: There's a 404 error from the link to the art ;~; 

Since Henry lost, will be embracing the dark with Team Leo here. And if Team Leo can forgive me for the first round deflection:

FC: 3584280908. In-game name: ~komasa. Leader: skilled Jeorge.  

I will be back to where I'm supposed to be, with the Prince of Nohr. Feel free to add :'D

1 minute ago, Ottokar said:

All hail Julia! All hail the Empress! 

And a dose of German: Naga erhalte Julia den Kaiserin! (An invisible cookie to the person who translates this!)

Naga something Julia is the Kaiseress? It's been so long since I took German.....

3 minutes ago, Ottokar said:

And a dose of German: Naga erhalte Julia den Kaiserin! (An invisible cookie to the person who translates this!)

Kaiserin is feminine. Accusative case will be die Kaiserin.

1 minute ago, immatx said:

Naga something Julia is the Kaiseress? It's been so long since I took German.....

Basically. Naga save Empress Julia.

Edited by Vaximillian

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

...so I suppose you know what I mean, right? Shouldn't have copy-pasted it off Gott Erhalte Franz den Kaiser... 

(stupid memory, not remembering the dratted accusatives...)

Just now, komasa said:

Since Henry lost, will be embracing the dark with Team Leo here. And if Team Leo can forgive me for the first round deflection:

FC: 3584280908. In-game name: ~komasa. Leader: skilled Jeorge.  

I will be back to where I'm supposed to be, with the Prince of Nohr. Feel free to add :'D

As long as you learn from the error of your ways, our beloved Prince Leo will most certainly forgive you.

My ID is in my signature. Unfortunately, I don't have Leo - but I do have his big brother to back him up with.

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Basically. Naga save Empress Julia.

Should've expected a member of the KR team would know German... ah, whatever. That that is is; for what is "that" but that, and "is" but is?

Well, as I said, I'm joining team Robin now. If Robin loses, I'm choosing Leo because I refuse to support Tharja.

3 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

As long as you learn from the error of your ways, our beloved Prince Leo will most certainly forgive you.

My ID is in my signature. Unfortunately, I don't have Leo - but I do have his big brother to back him up with.

Kurando with Michalis lead? Requested <3

8 minutes ago, ErrantDShepherd said:

Hah, well I am tempted to if only to support your son! XD

Now you have your reason. Embrace the dark. We have tomatoes. 

@Motendra , I believe you're with Leo, if so may I add? Been wanting to ask ever since the Wyvern Gauntlet when you fought for Minerva. 

5 minutes ago, Ottokar said:

Long live the Empress!

Is it bad that you posting this phrase gave me the idea of (putting the rest of this in spoilers as a precaution even though just about everyone's seen The Lion King)

Spoiler

taking the shot of Scar getting ready to throw Mufasa into the wildebeest stampede and photoshopping Tharja's head onto Scar and Julia's onto Mufasa with an accompanying caption of "Long live the empress"?

10 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Is it bad that you posting this phrase gave me the idea of (putting the rest of this in spoilers as a precaution even though just about everyone's seen The Lion King)

Reveal hidden contents

taking the shot of Scar getting ready to throw Mufasa into the wildebeest stampede and photoshopping Tharja's head onto Scar and Julia's onto Mufasa with an accompanying caption of "Long live the empress"?

That would be so funny.