Recommended class changes for units

2 hours ago, crazyanthony said:

So far at the first dungeon and have the ability to class change, though I am unsure which ones are good for which characters. Will it also be possible to reclass them later on to another class?

You can only reclass after they reach their final tier and you use a Villagers fork, or unless they go to Dreadfighter which can go back to villager naturally. 

Generally the commonly accepted good class changes for the first group is Gray -> Merc, Tobin -> Archer, Kliff -> Mage, but Tobin learns some really good mage spells super early too, and Kliff can generally do any of the classes well, Gray also is probably a pretty good Cavalier candidate. Also if its like Gaiden then Merc is a good choice for every single villager that can go to it.

You can do pretty much any of them. With Faye she probably benefits getting the class bonuses from Pegasus the most, but I wouldn't know since I haven't played Echoes yet.

Edited by Jedi

The only way you can reclass in this game is by using the Villager's Fork, which is only once per file as of now or by getting to level 10 as a Dread Fighter and promoting to Villager.

The general consensus for good promotions are:

Grey should go mercenary. It fixes all his problems.

Tobin should go archer or mage. Archer is the defecto class and is taught to be 'canon' though he can perform well as a mage since he gets the best spell in the game at level 6 and gets a pretty useful spell ate level 5 when promoted.

Kliff is generally put as a mage though he is a bit nerfed in SoV and he will take some babying. If you choose to make Tobin a mage, go archer. That way Kliff can do decent chip damage from range until he gets going. Cavalier is also good, but he will get outclassed by literally every other cavalier.

Faye is best as a cleric. She learns amazingly useful spells and with how healers now gain exp from healing, it will be quite easy to level her up. Also too early game healers is not a bad thing. Peg knight works too, but Clair kind of outshines her and she will lose her usefulness later down the line as a peg knight.

Making Faye a Cleric is a great choice because healing costs Silque HP and she will be your only healer for a loooooong time. Also, Silque has Warp and Faye has Rescue, so that's a great hit-and-run tactic. Faye also gets a spell that is essentially a Dance later on in the game, so that will be really useful.

E: Just a note that I am going off of my Gaiden experience here. In Gaiden having only Silque for healing really stretched her thin and she would always run out of HP to cast spells with in the first few turns, making the early/mid game really hard until I got the Rings that healed every turn. Additionally, Nosferatu's hit rate was even more pitiful than in Echoes.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

Gray - Mercenary, there's really no better option.

Tobin - Archer, or Mage, but he doesn't get a lot of variety in spells, though promoting to Sage can get him Physic.

Kliff - Mage, or really anything, but he learns Excalibur, Arrow, and Aura as a Mage, so that's really useful.

Faye - Since she's new, it's hard to say what she should be, but generally people go Pegasus Knight or Cleric, and I just have to say those people are missing out on Mage Faye. She is an absolute monster. Have never made her a Cavalier, but Cavs are pitifully useless in Echoes, so I'd imagine she wouldn't be doing much.

Anybody can be good at any class via Dread Fighter cycling bar Faye. If you want Faye to perform, you kinda need to slam your head into a wall and grind her until she hits level 20 on everything (yes, I actually did that).

If I have to state my opinions without considering DF cycling and extensive grinding:

Gray - I think the best decision for Gray would be Mercenary, sure, Cavalier is a still pretty good decision out there but you get like 4 more of them and you get no Mercenaries in Alm's route, so it is always good to have one, and Gray really benefits from Merc lines Speed and Skill bases. Not to mention Dread Fighter is a great class and there will be sticky situations where a Dread Fighter will be preferable.

Tobin - Like others stated above, he does really good both as an Archer and a Mage. Although I kinda prefer him as an Archer, since Kliff has a better spell list even though it gets more molded as he levels up, rather than Tobin's early good start in terms of spell list. Either way tho, you would want Tobin or Kliff as an Archer at least, since Python tends to be a really mediocre unit.

Kliff - I pretty much stated my opinions about Kliff along with Tobin, I prefer Kliff as a Mage. It is up to you in the end. You could also go Mercenaries for both but I think you really want a Mage and an Archer on Alm's party since the other characters of the said classes are Luthier and Dyute as Mages and Python as an Archer. Both Luthier and Python are kinda mediocre units and Kliff and Tobin can outshine them in those classes in my opinion. On the other hand, Cavalier line has 2 marvelous units like Mathilda and Zeke.

Faye - Faye is kinda mediocre at whatever she does in my opinion, if you want her to really shine, that is a bit, like I said, you need to slam your head into a wall and take the long route, leveling until 20. I think Cavalier line isn't a choice for her for the reasons I stated above, as Alm already have access to a solid cast of Cavalier line units. Pegasus Knight is actually a really good idea, and in fact I would even prefer it even if I wasn't going to grind extensively, given that Alm only has access to one but sadly, unless you grind her extensively, Clair is going to outperform her a lot. Other than that, she actually has a quite interesting spell list as a Cleric and you could really use her as one, but what turns me off on this choice is Alm already getting two Clerics, and I think both fulfill their tasks. Mage also seems like an off choice for me since both Kliff and Tobin can outperform her in my opinion.

Merc is generally good because it’s a really solid early class due to the 10 Spd class base and Levin Sword (which is fixed at 15 att targeting Res), and Dread Fighter is still good lategame due to the 7 move, 18 Spd base, Res+Spirit Ward, and forges/crit weapons.

Grey is probably the best Merc due to his personal Str base and growth though. His low Spd base/growth is bolstered by the class. There’s also diminishing returns with multiple Mercs since there’s only 1 early Levin Sword (thought that can work, ofc). 

Tobin’s main advantage is his personal Spd base so he’s good in any class early. He doesn’t seem to double as much later (in HM) unless he has Spd statue or statbooster buffer or got lucky with the growth. Mage is a nice choice since it’s the earliest Excalibur at level 6 (high hit at 95, low weight at 1, 5 mt, 20 crit spell), and Physic at level 5 Sage. Archer can chip to help.  

Kliff has good Spd/Def growths, but a terrible Spd base of 2. The 5 Cav base really helps him imo, and he has some stats over Clive (Spd, Luck, Res) and Mathilda (Def, until Gold Knight) later. Multiple Cavs seems fine since one rarely onerounds everything and Silque has limited Warp range. Mage works but you deal with bad Spd for longer since Fire weighs 3 and Excalibur is all the way at level 9. Archer again works for chip at a distance early, and solid lategame if he gets there (similar to Python with less Str, more other stats).

Faye should probably be a Cleric for Rescue and Physic. She complements Silque rather than them competing. Pegasus Knight is nice, but it’s a bit less useful in Alm’s route given Silque’s Warp and less monsters (afaict). Faye is also not that fast, even in Pegasus/Falcon, so eh. 

Edited by XeKr

"Good" def in the sense of 3 base, maybe 4 Def as a level 1 Cleric. Compared to Silque's 1 base. They both have 40% growth, 30 after class growth's -10. Tatiana has 3 base as a Saint and 20% growth after class mods. 3/12/1 Faye averages around 7 then. They can also wear Shields for a bit and counter with Nosferatu (but only 60% hit).

Shouldn't really let them get attacked.  

Edited by XeKr

I made Tobin (Robin in Japan) a cavalier and he's pretty decent. He isn't super strong but doubles most enemies and crits often. I prefer an extra mounted unit to another archer since archers aren't super reliable in this game it seems.   

I didn't know anything about canon classes or growth rates so I went with what felt good on hard.

Robin = Mercenery. His portrait looked like a happy-go-lucky sword wielder to me and he turned with the highest pow.

Kliff = Mage. He is introduced somewhat as a bookworm and has great starting res so it was only natural. But he's level 18 and I don't think he got a single res growth and his atk is middling at best. He's got great stats otherwise. High crit rate also.

Grey = Archer. I just had to have an archer in my team and I had already settled on Robin being a mercenary. He ended up being decent. Better than Python. Way better!

Faye = I see a lot of people suggesting making her into a sister. Having known how the game went, that'd probably have been a good pick, as another healer would have been a godsend. At the time I class changed her, I had just gotten Silque and thought I did not need another sister just yet so I made her a cavalier. She's better than Clive but she's not that great. Still solid all around. 

All in all, I think pretty much any class is viable, but you might have an easier time with a cleric Faye.