Heroes Story Discussion

r_n

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Sire said:

As for me, the biggest reveal is now we have Loki running around, and everything that anyone does needs to be looked at carefully.

I suspect they're going to use Loki as a excuse for any character acting strange. "Oh, that was just Loki all along doing things for mysterious reasons no one can explain."

That or it could just be a character tied to Vortex paralogues that doesn't affect the "main" story.

19 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I suspect they're going to use Loki as a excuse for any character acting strange. "Oh, that was just Loki all along doing things for mysterious reasons no one can explain."

That or it could just be a character tied to Vortex paralogues that doesn't affect the "main" story.

Like, really, the guy's name is Loki... 

My thoughts on the story:

Spoiler
  • I don't think Bruno is Zacharias. I think that Zacharias is an alias of Bruno. If I had to guess, Bruno had to assume an identity to scout out the kingdom. It would explain why Veronica was able to infiltrate Askr so quickly in Chapter 10, and make it to the castle at that. Earning the trust of the Askrian royals may have been part of the plan to gain access to information, though befriending them probably wasn't. Maybe he became conflicted or found out the true evil (maybe both), and ran as a result. And everything else after is in game. Definitely our anti-hero.
  • WTF Xander. Chapter 2-5. Like, I know you chose to side with the enemy I just want to know why. No, lonely eyes doesn't cut it for me. I was hoping that we'd get an answer for that when we got his GHB, but nothing. Not even a xenologue to explain it. WTF. #irrelevantplotpoints
  • Alfonse has mild PTSD/trauma, or is a a bit of a wuss. Maybe a bit of both. 
  • Sharena confuses me. Like, she's almost always happy, outgoing and optimistic (contrast your bro much), but I can't seem to shake this feeling that it's not completely genuine. That's just me though.

I guess since it's a mobile game, the story doesn't have to be there, let alone good.

I really thought Alfonse and Sharena's friend, Bruno was that mysterious mage all along, but I guess not anymore. I thought I had it. :'.(

4 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

Like, really, the guy's name is Loki... 

My thoughts on the story:

Hide contents
  • I don't think Bruno is Zacharias. I think that Zacharias is an alias of Bruno. If I had to guess, Bruno had to assume an identity to scout out the kingdom. It would explain why Veronica was able to infiltrate Askr so quickly in Chapter 10, and make it to the castle at that. Earning the trust of the Askrian royals may have been part of the plan to gain access to information, though befriending them probably wasn't. Maybe he became conflicted or found out the true evil (maybe both), and ran as a result. And everything else after is in game. Definitely our anti-hero.
  • WTF Xander. Chapter 2-5. Like, I know you chose to side with the enemy I just want to know why. No, lonely eyes doesn't cut it for me. I was hoping that we'd get an answer for that when we got his GHB, but nothing. Not even a xenologue to explain it. WTF. #irrelevantplotpoints
  • Alfonse has mild PTSD/trauma, or is a a bit of a wuss. Maybe a bit of both. 
  • Sharena confuses me. Like, she's almost always happy, outgoing and optimistic (contrast your bro much), but I can't seem to shake this feeling that it's not completely genuine. That's just me though.

I guess since it's a mobile game, the story doesn't have to be there, let alone good.

1) I actually quite like your first point and think it'd be great if it were true. 

2) "Lonely eyes" and "reminds me of my sister" are honestly all we're getting from him. Knowing his personality I'd believe that's all it takes too.

3) I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's the former. 

4) It's a mobile game, so one-dimensional characters wouldn't be out of place I believe that she isn't actually that optimistic and happy all the time but puts up a front to help cheer her mopey brother up and give him confidence. Or at least to keep the atmosphere from being too depressing. Plus I think it's to help mask her own pain concerning the loss of Zacharias. 

16 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

1) I actually quite like your first point and think it'd be great if it were true. 

2) "Lonely eyes" and "reminds me of my sister" are honestly all we're getting from him. Knowing his personality I'd believe that's all it takes too.

3) I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's the former. 

4) It's a mobile game, so one-dimensional characters wouldn't be out of place I believe that she isn't actually that optimistic and happy all the time but puts up a front to help cheer her mopey brother up and give him confidence. Or at least to keep the atmosphere from being too depressing. Plus I think it's to help mask her own pain concerning the loss of Zacharias. 

1) Yeah, it explains a lot, doesn't it? 
2) #Si-incarnate
3) Yeah, I guess if he willingly joined the order of heroes, I can't exactly call him a wuss.
4) Fair. I kinda figured it was something along those lines.

The base main story has been pretty lame. It wasn't anything more then closing a portal and in cases like the Awakening world they needed to go back and do the same thing all over again. It never felt like the main characters made much progress.

'Bruno' starts to remind me a bit of Tobi and not in a good way. I have a feeling the first guess about his identity will be true in one way or another.

Finally got around to playing the Xenologue. I don't know about the English version, but Loki's speech patterns in Japanese are distinctly feminine, even when speaking through Bruno's appearance.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Finally got around to playing the Xenologue. I don't know about the English version, but Loki's speech patterns in Japanese are distinctly feminine, even when speaking through Bruno's appearance.

Huh. That's interesting. 

I didn't think the dialogue/manner of speaking in the English version suggested either gender over the other, personally. 

42 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

While I wouldn't put it past them to mess up Norse mythology, Loki is typically male.

11 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

While I wouldn't put it past them to mess up Norse mythology, Loki is typically male.

....Except for that stint with a stallion. Which resulted in Loki giving birth to Sleipnir, Odin's trusty eight-legged flying horse.

19 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Huh. That's interesting. 

I didn't think the dialogue/manner of speaking in the English version suggested either gender over the other, personally. 

Here's the interesting stuff.

Transcript of everything after Veronica asks who the impostor is, in case anyone wants to check my work:

Spoiler

???(ブルーノ)「……」
???(ブルーノ)「あらん。私の幻術がこんなに早く…」
???(シャロン)「見破られちゃうなんて...ねえ?」
???(アルフォンス)「さすがはエンブラの皇女様。わかったわ。ちゃんとお話しましょう。」
???(アンナ)「そうねえ…とりあえずはこの姿でいいかしら?」
ヴェロニカ「おなまえは?」
ロキ(アンナ)「ロキ。私の名はロキよ。本当の姿は、また今度のお楽しみ。」
ロキ(アンナ)「それでヴェロニカ皇女、【戦渦】の儀式は…」
ヴェロニカ「いいわ、やってあげる…あなたが言ってた、ぎしき。」
ヴェロニカ「【せんか】のえいゆうたちはつよい…っておしろのほんにもかいてあったし…」
ロキ(アンナ)「あらん。【戦渦】のことも知ってたわけ?食えない子ねえ。」
ロキ(アンナ)「でも、気に入ったわ、ヴェロニカ皇女。私たち、良い関係になれそうねえ?」

Unlike English, Japanese has notable differences between feminine and masculine speech in the forms of words and phrases that are only ever used by one gender. The first-person pronoun is perhaps the most visible distinction, but there's a lot more than just that.

Loki uses three words/phrases that are female-only in usage (and by female-only, I mean female and camp gay because anime likes to make its gay men extremely campy for some reason): the interjection あら [ara] (though she pronounces it あらん [aran] instead, perhaps to add a bit of personality), the sentence-end particle わ [wa], and the phrase かしら [kashira]. Of particular note, the first two are used at least once each when she is in a masculine appearance (Bruno and Alfonse, respectively), so she's not even being subtle about it.

Loki also uses the slightly feminine first-person pronoun 私 [watashi], which, while not definitively feminine, is not the same pronoun Bruno used, if my memory serves (I think he uses 僕 [boku], but it's been a while).

3 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Loki, being capable of shape-shifting, is also the mother of Odin's horse Sleipnir. Danmachi's Loki is also female because why not. I don't think Loki actually being male in mythology matters to anyone giving a name to a fictional character.

On a side note, one of Loki's names in mythology is "Loptyr", so any theories that the Loki in Heroes is the same being as the Loptyr in Jugdral (Loptyr is "Loptous" in Japanese, which is clearly derived from "Loptyr") at least has some traction.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Here's the interesting stuff.

Transcript of everything after Veronica asks who the impostor is, in case anyone wants to check my work:

Hide contents

???(ブルーノ)「……」
???(ブルーノ)「あらん。私の幻術がこんなに早く…」
???(シャロン)「見破られちゃうなんて...ねえ?」
???(アルフォンス)「さすがはエンブラの皇女様。わかったわ。ちゃんとお話しましょう。」
???(アンナ)「そうねえ…とりあえずはこの姿でいいかしら?」
ヴェロニカ「おなまえは?」
ロキ(アンナ)「ロキ。私の名はロキよ。本当の姿は、また今度のお楽しみ。」
ロキ(アンナ)「それでヴェロニカ皇女、【戦渦】の儀式は…」
ヴェロニカ「いいわ、やってあげる…あなたが言ってた、ぎしき。」
ヴェロニカ「【せんか】のえいゆうたちはつよい…っておしろのほんにもかいてあったし…」
ロキ(アンナ)「あらん。【戦渦】のことも知ってたわけ?食えない子ねえ。」
ロキ(アンナ)「でも、気に入ったわ、ヴェロニカ皇女。私たち、良い関係になれそうねえ?」

Unlike English, Japanese has notable differences between feminine and masculine speech in the forms of words and phrases that are only ever used by one gender. The first-person pronoun is perhaps the most visible distinction, but there's a lot more than just that.

Loki uses three words/phrases that are female-only in usage (and by female-only, I mean female and camp gay because anime likes to make its gay men extremely campy for some reason): the interjection あら [ara] (though she pronounces it あらん [aran] instead, perhaps to add a bit of personality), the sentence-end particle わ [wa], and the phrase かしら [kashira]. Of particular note, the first two are used at least once each when she is in a masculine appearance (Bruno and Alfonse, respectively), so she's not even being subtle about it.

Loki also uses the slightly feminine first-person pronoun 私 [watashi], which, while not definitively feminine, is not the same pronoun Bruno used, if my memory serves (I think he uses 僕 [boku], but it's been a while).

Loki, being capable of shape-shifting, is also the mother of Odin's horse Sleipnir. Danmachi's Loki is also female because why not. I don't think Loki actually being male in mythology matters to anyone giving a name to a fictional character.

On a side note, one of Loki's names in mythology is "Loptyr", so any theories that the Loki in Heroes is the same being as the Loptyr in Jugdral (Loptyr is "Loptous" in Japanese, which is clearly derived from "Loptyr") at least has some traction.

That was educational, thanks! 

I wonder if we'll ever see their (still going to use gender neutral terms until we have something concrete) "true" form eventually, or if they'll just constantly shift throughout the story. 

Oh hey someone else who watches Danmachi though I only watched the first season.

Oh the female language thing is very interesting!

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

On the other hand, based on mythology, Merlinus and Myrddin should be the same person, so historically Fire Emblem likes picking up mythological names but not always to keep super faithful to that sort of etymologycal links.

3 minutes ago, salinea said:

Oh the female language thing is very interesting!

On the other hand, based on mythology, Merlinus and Myrddin should be the same person, so historically Fire Emblem likes picking up mythological names but not always to keep super faithful to that sort of etymologycal links.

Well, they're both noncombatant advisors to Roy.

On 6/8/2017 at 3:29 PM, Okigen said:

I didn't even realise this game has something called story...

^WORD^

I even skipped the opening cut scene. Didn't watch the whole thing until about 3 weeks ago XD

8 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

^WORD^

I even skipped the opening cut scene. Didn't watch the whole thing until about 3 weeks ago XD

...Opening cutscene? I know this game is over four months old and my memory of specific details is rather foggy, but I don't quite remember this... how do you activate it?

Just now, phineas81707 said:

...Opening cutscene? I know this game is over four months old and my memory of specific details is rather foggy, but I don't quite remember this... how do you activate it?

I think it's in the setting somewhere or something? Not near my phone so I can't check

I rewatched Lyn and Roy's summoning cutscenes too as well as Robin 

11 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

So we might be looking at an FE version of Ghirahim? I think he even had a line in the Japanese version where he said a red thread of fate (love) must connect him and Link.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I kind of wonder if we might get more Xenologues with future Tempest Trials.

I mean, I know we haven't gotten more with the Voting Gauntlets, but the Trials seem to have more story relevance, even introducing a brand new character.

All right... so, as it turns out...

Spoiler

The story of the Echoes of Mystery paralogue is a replica of Katarina's character arc from New Mystery, with Sharena in place of Kris.

I feel vaguely annoyed.

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

All right... so, as it turns out...

Spoiler

She even insists Kiran is Kris in her level 40 conversation.

On 12.06.2017 at 9:28 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Loki's speech patterns in Japanese are distinctly feminine

Anna was evil all along, I call it!

Anyone else mad about how they made

Spoiler

Shareena repeat Corrin's mistake from Revelations in this Paralogue?

To be fair, i shouldn't be surprised too much, the story here isn't meant to be Shakespearean by any means, and Shareena was always characterized as being very social and loving of Heroes... But it still frustrated me that they actually had her do that.

In this case, there's also another problem: How do contracts work?

Spoiler

Katarina was defeated in the very first map, but somehow is still tied by her contract all the way up to the last map? This completely disregards the rules of the contract as has been repeatedly shown in past chapters and Paralogues. Is there some sort of exception, like: "It only counts if they didn't mean to lose"?

17 minutes ago, Allergic_to_Farming said:

Anyone else mad about how they made

Hide contents

Shareena repeat Corrin's mistake from Revelations in this Paralogue?

To be fair, i shouldn't be surprised too much, the story here isn't meant to be Shakespearean by any means, and Shareena was always characterized as being very social and loving of Heroes... But it still frustrated me that they actually had her do that.

In this case, there's also another problem: How do contracts work?

Hide contents

Katarina was defeated in the very first map, but somehow is still tied by her contract all the way up to the last map? This completely disregards the rules of the contract as has been repeatedly shown in past chapters and Paralogues. Is there some sort of exception, like: "It only counts if they didn't mean to lose"?

Spoiler

It's more of a repeat of Kris from New Mystery.

Also, the contracts always broke at the end of the chapter/paralogue, and she'd be serving Clarisse anyway (who is still bound by the contract).

5 hours ago, phineas81707 said:
  Hide contents

It's more of a repeat of Kris from New Mystery.

Also, the contracts always broke at the end of the chapter/paralogue, and she'd be serving Clarisse anyway (who is still bound by the contract).

Spoiler

True, it shares more similarities with that scenario. I just thought of Corrin first since i have yet to play New Mystery. 

Could you tell me why she would serve Clarisse? I know mostly nothing about Katarina.