Fire Emblem Civil War

Armagon

Ok, so here's a fun game. So i'm sure we've all seen or at least heard of Captain America: Civil War, right? You might see where i'm going with this. Here's the setup: there are two teams: Team Marth vs Team Ike. Now, here's the tough part: take the 18 Lords from the series, and think about which side they would join. It's tough, especially since some Lords might be friends with each other. Try to keep the teams even. Here's what I think

Team Marth

• Marth
  • Celica
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Eirika
  • Chrom
  • Lucina
  • Micaiah
  • Eliwood

Team Ike

• Ike
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Hector
  • Lyn
  • Robin
  • Corrin
  • Ephraim

This is the hardest list i have ever done.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok, so here's a fun game. So i'm sure we've all seen or at least heard of Captain America: Civil War, right? You might see where i'm going with this. Here's the setup: there are two teams: Team Marth vs Team Ike. Now, here's the tough part: take the 18 Lords from the series, and think about which side they would join. It's tough, especially since some Lords might be friends with each other. Try to keep the teams even. Here's what I think

Team Marth

• Marth
  • Celica
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Eirika
  • Chrom
  • Lucina
  • Micaiah
  • Eliwood

Team Ike

• Ike
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Hector
  • Lyn
  • Robin
  • Corrin
  • Ephraim

This is the hardest list i have ever done.

...but surely Corrin would side with no one, and track down the Invisible Kingdom the real enemy and make everyone friends again, right? :P:

... but no, seriously, only Emblem Games I played were Awakening and Fates, so I can't begin to cover this list. I just wanted to be the one to make the inevitable Revelations joke. 

Edited by Quiver

So Team Ike are the outlawed heroes that refuse to sign the Tellius Accords. A statute by Intelligent Systems that states they must seek their approval as writers before starting more rebellions and holy wars. As the last one resulted in Tellius' flooding.

Celica and Alm splitting on a major political issue sounds spot on. The FE7 lords splitting is hard to imagine given their history, but if they did, it "feels" like Lyn and Hector would dissent from some major shift in the Lycia Alliance while Eliwood does the morally dubious thing in order to maintain peace, as with most others on Team Marth. I'm not a Thraccia afficianado, but I think Leif ought to be Team Ike. He's already a political refugee and also leads a rebellion much like Alm. I don't feel strong either way about Sigurd and Seliph, but Seliph going Team Marth so he could square off against his dad or at least Leif is good drama. Ephraim and Eirika I can't see splitting ever, but I think they'd go Team Marth. Ephraim may not care much about being a leader or keeping the peace, but with how stacked the other team is, I think he'd relish the chance to fight Hector or Ike. 

needs more Kris

There is something weird  about Lucina / Robin being on opposite teams. If we're going with a chaotic/lawful thing, Lucina does technically use deception so I actually would put her in Ike's camp (marth costume notwithstanding). 

52 minutes ago, Quiver said:

...but surely Corrin would side with no one, and track down the Invisible Kingdom the real enemy and make everyone friends again, right? :P:

Corrin is on whichever side lets them sleep with their siblings. It's only a question of who can get the most on their team, Marth or Ike.

So uh, what are the lists supposed to represent? Personalities? Ideals? Because Chrom strikes me as more similar to Ike and Sigurd than Marth, even though he's the latter's descendant.

13 minutes ago, Thane said:

So uh, what are the lists supposed to represent? Personalities? Ideals? Because Chrom strikes me as more similar to Ike and Sigurd than Marth, even though he's the latter's descendant.

A mix of everything i guess. The hardest part was making sure the teams were even.

But what do Marth and Ike represent? What are we basing the Lord's choices on? Without knowing that, any list will seem a bit silly to me. Let's say Marth represents the heroes fighting for his homeland (he did say "I'm a prince before before I am a son or a brother" once, didn't he?), while Ike the warriors fighting for their friends and families (he doesn't strike me as a patriotic man, his main speech in FE9 is about the army being one big family; he's also more than ready to fight for a foreign country as seen in FE10 and he does leave Tellius in the epilogue... even though that does mean leaving behind all those he cares for, which doesn't make much sense in any way to look at it). Having said that...

Team Marth (I am a Prince before I am a son or a brother)

• Marth
  • Leif (just look at all the nasty stuff he has to get through for the sake of his country... and I'm only halfway through FE5)
  • Alm (again, I have only played up to chapter 2 of Gaiden, but I know that his main motivation is to free his country from foreign dominance so...)
  • Celica (come on, she's Alm's wife, need I say more?)
  • Micaiah (here we have once again the figurehead of a rebellion for independence who ends up becoming queen (I think) and her people go as far as to worshipping her!)
  • Chrom (on one hand I always though he was kinda lame, but his role as the Exhalt actually comes into play fairly often; those few irrelevant choices the players is asked to make at least help in showing that he does weigh the Fire Emblem against his sister's life)
  • Lucina (though she bears the fate of the entire world, she does so in an all-Ylissean band of warriors; she also shows a strong sense of duty, she's Chrom's daughter, holds Marth in high regard and consciously wields Falchion: and Falchion screams one word, Altea/Ylisse)

Team Ike (I fight for my friends!)

• Ike
  • Seliph (doesn't matter if he's the Emperor of Grannvale, he was raised in the plains of Isaach, liberates much more than only his country and I just see him more as the "hero of the entire continent" rather than the "hero of Grannvale", something that cannot be said about Leif for example)
  • Lyn (she couldn't care less about Caelin as shown in her epilogues, she only goes there to save her grandfather and even in the plains she has no one to welcome her back; all she cares for are friends and family)
  • Sigurd (if you think about it, why does Sigurd gallop around the continent silverswording everyone in his path? either because he's told to or for personal motives, never for the sake of Grannvale; as an FE4 lover it's jarring to think about how under-developed his motives are, so I kinda headcanon that he is just a well-intentioned man so blinded by his own exceptional military prowess that he almost goes to war without really thinkng about it; anyway)
  • Corrin (lolcorrinandcharacterdevelopmentalsovallalol)
  • Robin (he's tied to Chrom, his spouse and the shepherds first and foremost but not directly to a country he can call home; as a Plegian, he couldn't care less about Plegia as far as we know)
  • Eliwood (he doesn't think twice about leaving Pherae devoid of any strong leader just to look for his father; also during FE7 his bond with his country is never really explored)
  • Hector (I don't know what I'm doing anymore, I just don't think he would go against his friends)

As for the twins... I have literally no idea.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Team Marth

• Marth
  • Celica
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Eirika
  • Chrom
  • Lucina
  • Micaiah
  • Eliwood

Team Ike

• Ike
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Seliph
  • Hector
  • Lyn
  • Robin
  • Corrin
  • Ephraim

So Team Softies and Pretties (sans Seliph) vs. Team Toughies

I wouldn't bet on who wins. I'd bet on how long it before Sig, Ike, Hec, Alm and Eph are devouring Marth's entrails. 2 hours tops I'll say.

23 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

But what do Marth and Ike represent?

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ok, so here's a fun game. 

That's literally the reason. I just thought of it near the end of 4th Period and i decided on Team Marth vs Team Ike just cuz. That's like, the origin of this whole thing.

I did put thought into the members of each team tho.

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

So Team Ike are the outlawed heroes that refuse to sign the Tellius Accords. A statute by Intelligent Systems that states they must seek their approval as writers before starting more rebellions and holy wars. As the last one resulted in Tellius' flooding.

Celica and Alm splitting on a major political issue sounds spot on. The FE7 lords splitting is hard to imagine given their history, but if they did, it "feels" like Lyn and Hector would dissent from some major shift in the Lycia Alliance while Eliwood does the morally dubious thing in order to maintain peace, as with most others on Team Marth. I'm not a Thraccia afficianado, but I think Leif ought to be Team Ike. He's already a political refugee and also leads a rebellion much like Alm. I don't feel strong either way about Sigurd and Seliph, but Seliph going Team Marth so he could square off against his dad or at least Leif is good drama. Ephraim and Eirika I can't see splitting ever, but I think they'd go Team Marth. Ephraim may not care much about being a leader or keeping the peace, but with how stacked the other team is, I think he'd relish the chance to fight Hector or Ike. 

Here would be my list:

Team Marth: Lawful, do whatever it takes to maintain the existing peace. Heroes with level headed resolve that can leave personal stakes out of their role as leaders.

Marth, Celica, Eirika, Ephraim, Seliph, Sigurd, Eliwood, Roy, Micaiah, Lucina

Team Ike: Personal, fights for the right cause, despite the odds of victory. Hellraisers, but strong leaders.

Ike, Lyn, Hector, Leif, Corrin, Chrom, Robin

I realize this makes for an especially stacked Team Marth, but appropriate given Team Ike's role as the rebels. And my justifications for the Awakening trio::

Spoiler

Because Chrom and Lucina are an iconic duo to clash, you've gotta have them fight it out. As for Chrom taking that side, and his tactictian with him, there's a line I really like in chapter 12 when the Valmese army reveals itself:

Frederick: Milord, are you certain? Another war...

Chrom: I've had time to ponder Ylisse's place in the world, Frederick...and my own. We must stand against evil, in all its forms. Or there can be no peace!

Plus Chrom being so far in the future from the other lords, he probably has the sort of progressive ideals that would lean him towards being a reformer. Lucina's placement would be a retread of her knowing the future and trying to steer her father from meeting a grim fate. Also, while I don't like Marth being the Iron Man in this equation, it's extremely appropriate for Lucina to be War Machine in that case.

Edited by Gustavos

2 hours ago, Quiver said:

... but no, seriously, only Emblem Games I played were Awakening and Fates, so I can't begin to cover this list. I just wanted to be the one to make the inevitable Revelations joke. 

Shouldn't you be dead?

Swap Leif for Seliph and Robin for Chrom.

Leif went through WAAAAY more shit than Seliph, and is far more pragmatic/ruthless/cynical, and his quest of his game is one of pure hate-driven murdervengeance. Seliph is more or less diet Sigurd.

Robin is an all-loving, immaculate being that can do no wrong. Chrom, meanwhile, is rough around the edges, even if he is dangerously naive and trusting.

Also, get Corrin off the Ike team.

Edited by Slumber

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Chrom, meanwhile, is rough around the edges, even if he is dangerously naive and trusting.

He's not really all that trusting, though. But we don't really know what he is since the game doesn't give him that much personality; he just knows how to fight, and is socially awkward.

15 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

He's not really all that trusting, though. But we don't really know what he is since the game doesn't give him that much personality; he just knows how to fight, and is socially awkward.

He gets upset with Frederick, his actual retainer, for not trusting Robin like a blood-brother a day after meeting him/her. When the Shepherds are introduced in full, he then gives Robin the complete authority to direct and dictate his whole army. When crazy dark magic cults get revealed and weird shit starts happening pretty much immediately after meeting Robin, Chrom doesn't think twice about it.

That's one of the dumbest things any FE lord has ever done. So Chrom is either insanely stupid, or he's really naive and overly trusting. One of these two is slightly more flattering to Chrom, and you can blame it on his kind heart.

Edited by Slumber

50 minutes ago, Slumber said:

He gets upset with Frederick, his actual retainer, for not trusting Robin like a blood-brother a day after meeting him/her. When the Shepherds are introduced in full, he then gives Robin the complete authority to direct and dictate his whole army. When crazy dark magic cults get revealed and weird shit starts happening pretty much immediately after meeting Robin, Chrom doesn't think twice about it.

That's one of the dumbest things any FE lord has ever done. So Chrom is either insanely stupid, or he's really naive and overly trusting. One of these two is slightly more flattering to Chrom, and you can blame it on his kind heart.

We all played the same game, there's no need to exaggerate. Chrom never gets upset at a word Fred says, he's just annoyed to get the same old lecture from his babysitter. Imagine having somebody like that judging all your actions and people you meet. Chrom would have left Robin behind if Robin didn't suddenly put his life on the line for Ylissean strangers. It's only natural Chrom recruited him for the Shepherds. Previous lords have recruited shadier characters without a thought for their personal safety. Nearly every thief in the series, jaffar, pirates, etc. But when somebody fights with you, you tend to give them the benefit of the doubt on whether they'll plunge a dagger in your heart. If you don't you wouldn't last a minute in a public place, much less as a leader.

3 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Chrom would have left Robin behind if Robin didn't suddenly put his life on the line for Ylissean strangers. It's only natural Chrom recruited him for the Shepherds. Previous lords have recruited shadier characters without a thought for their personal safety.

Previous lords don't put put these random strangers in charge of their whole armies. The only other game where this happens is FE7, and that's completely different, as the game starts with Lyn, a seemingly normal girl, struggling on the plains, and Mark helping her.

It's not the known prince of a whole country giving some rando he literally met on the road complete control over the army. It's one thing for Chrom to recruit Robin into the Shepherds, but it's another to say "Hey, we just met this guy passed out in a field, but he's pretty smart on the battlefield. He holds your life in his hands now.", which is paraphrased, but more or less the spiel Chrom gives to the Shepherds.

3 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Nearly every thief in the series, jaffar, pirates, etc. But when somebody fights with you, you tend to give them the benefit of the doubt on whether they'll plunge a dagger in your heart. If you don't you wouldn't last a minute in a public place, much less as a leader.

Again, not a single thief or assassin in the series' history has been given the explicit role as the tactician of the army. Jaffar just sees himself as a tool, pretty much every pirate you recruit in the series has been extremely romanticized version of pirates(Darros as a kind-hearted, hard-worker, Geese being the Robin Hood of the sea, and Dart being a part of Fargus' crew, who were a dance number away from being Disney characters).

And, AGAIN, it's not just that Chrom's trusting of Robin, it's that he basically shows Robin his sweet Ferrari, then immediately gives him the key. No sane person in history would let some random stranger they met days ago drive their sweet Ferrari, let alone let them direct their army.

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

Leif went through WAAAAY more shit than Seliph, and is far more pragmatic/ruthless/cynical, and his quest of his game is one of pure hate-driven murdervengeance. Seliph is more or less diet Sigurd.

Thanks for the info. I mainly know Leif just based off what I saw from him in my FE4 playthrough (outdated translation btw)+the 3 or 4 chapters of Tharcia before i noped out of it (Thracia is the only FE besides Gaiden that i've played but never beaten).

I'll see if i can try to make a more accurate list tomorow. I will admit this list was kinda rushed, even if i did put thought into it, because i did it during the last 10 minutes of 4th Period.

I feel like Micaiah would be on Team Ike (ironic, I know). Her game opens up with her leading a rebellion and she absolutely has personal stakes in the war, namely Sothe.

Alright, is this list more accurate?

Team Marth

• Marth
  • Celica
  • Seliph
  • Roy
  • Eirika
  • Robin
  • Lucina
  • Corrin
  • Eliwood

Team Ike

• Ike
  • Alm
  • Sigurd
  • Leif
  • Hector
  • Lyn
  • Chrom
  • Micaiah
  • Ephraim

Corrin and Kris are Thor and Hulk. Kris is literally so badass that he would smear both sides, and Corrin is literally the son of a Dragon God. They would be in Ragnarok during this Civil War. With that out of the way, here's my list:

Team Marth

• Marth
  • Chrom
  • Seliph
  • Roy
  • Ephraim
  • Eirika
  • Micaiah
  • Alm
  • Celica

Team Ike

• Ike
  • Eliwood
  • Hector
  • Lyn
  • Leif
  • Lucina
  • Robin
  • Sigurd
  • Mark (yes, I know he isn't playable, I just needed a character to equal them out)