Is FE3 playable?

Zorafin

I'm still on book 1.  I'm taking about an hour on each chapter, though I think chapter 10 is going to take me closer to 2.  Chasing after that damn thief is stressful...and I died right at the end due to a crit from the boss.

I couldn't do chapter 7.  I felt like I tore the enemies down fast, and I still couldn't get through fast enough to beat the reinforcements.  Now that I've learned that exp doesn't scale to level, I regret leaving behind all that exp.  I kinda feel underleveled, especially with how the game expects me to hurry.

I just learned that there are a tiny number of promotion items in this game.  My original goal was to promote Rena, Marich, and Linda.  But I only have 2 promotional items for mages.  Who should I dump?  At the rate I'm going, Rena is going to cap first.

And, I get my second promotional item at...chapter 18?  So late in the game?  

Definitely promote Rena, her being able to magic is better than the others using staves, Wendell/Boa are better backup healers than backup magicmen. Marich and Linda have similar bases and growths, so I would decide based on what levels Marich has got, particularly str/spd. Whichever one you don't plan to promote, use them until their tome breaks.

Do you know how to swap the deployment order around? It's more complicated compared to later games, but it helps when trying to catch thieves.

I assume each slot on the map corresponds to the number I have my units ordered.  I don't know which is which though.

So I just want to keep one of the mages...  Well Linda's still lv1.  No point in leveling her up when I can give the same exp to someone else I guess.

Edited by Zorafin

If you don't mind minor spoilers there are maps that tell you the deployment order on this site. Otherwise, you can use trial and error to get the right order.

If you really want to use both mages

There is a secret shop in chapter 17 where you can buy more promotion items.

Edited by Baldrick

On 5/9/2017 at 9:39 PM, Zorafin said:

Now that I've learned that exp doesn't scale to level, I regret leaving behind all that exp.  I kinda feel underleveled, especially with how the game expects me to hurry.

Don't worry too much about that. FE3 Book 1 was my very first game and I was really underlevelled due to using Jagen too much (he was level 15 if I can recall) and having characters I invested significant experience in dying without me resetting. I was still able to make it to the end and defeat Medeus despite that and despite all the errors I made with it being my very first playthrough.

Also, the stats of non-boss units hardly increase as the game goes on compared to other FE games, so being underlevelled in this particular FE isn't too bad. Only bosses have particularly high stats, so if you're distributing experience among enough units, you should still be good. 

Also, for FE3 Book 1, even without promoting characters are still pretty good due to universal base 20 caps for all classes, promotions not removing those stat caps, and enemies having low stats in general and them not increasing significantly as the game progresses. So using Linda even without promoting her can still be a solid idea, especially with enemy resistance being weak among most enemy units.