*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Third Tier classes and Overclass

So if you guys have been keeping up with Echoes news, they announced the overclasses that would be made accessible in the dlc. So for classes trees like the cavalier route and villager route, they would have 4 classes since the Gold Knight and Dread Fighter classes are already third tier so now they have an overclass on top of that. What do you guys think about this? I think it's awesome and keeps your units feeling fresh and powerful and would be pretty cool to see in future fire emblem games

Edited by wigglepuppy

In my opinion, the concept is alienating for multiple reasons:

1. We already have 3rd tiers. Isn't that enough? 4th tier seems excessive and needless.
  2. As far as I know, max stats are tied to characters. A Dread Fighter could be just as strong as a Yaksha, unless the Overclasses break caps or have extremely powerful skills.
  3. The game, as it is right now, is too easy to necessitate Overclasses.
  4. It's quite expensive.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

To sum up my feelings on the matter:

Because Classes.
Sweet delicious and unnecessary classes.

I like some of them. While I'll buy them since I always buy DLC (Except Fates, cause fuck Fates), but I'm not a fan of some of the designs. They seem too extravagant.

I'll probably use them for the final dungeon since I don't think my units will be good enough to take it on by then in their normal classes, though if the final dungeon didn't exist, I probably wouldn't touch them.

Let me just remind everyone that my question doesn't involve the price of the dlc. My question is just if you approve of higher-tiered classes.

Also keep in mind that these classes can only be accessed at the characters promoted class level 20. While one could just grind early game and get these higher tier classes making the rest of the game easier, it would normally take some level of motivation for the sake of getting the classes. In other words, those who would make all of their classes into their respective overclasses, would most likely only be able to do so if they wanted to and did the necessary grinding. So regardless of how powerful a class is, it is mainly for aesthetics, as you only need to overclass if you want to. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Cyas said:

In my opinion, the concept is alienating for multiple reasons:

1. We already have 3rd tiers. Isn't that enough? 4th tier seems excessive and needless.
  2. As far as I know, max stats are tied to characters. A Dread Fighter could be just as strong as a Yaksha, unless the Overclasses break caps or have extremely powerful skills.
  3. The game, as it is right now, is too easy to necessitate Overclasses.
  4. It's quite expensive.

First of all, I should have explained better: I don't mean 4th tier classes seeing as they only apply to 2 class trees, I'm mainly talking about 3rd tier. As for the rest of your points, I agree. But if max stats are tied to characters, and overclassing isn't a necessity, isn't that all the more reason to have them in the first place? If they have no significant impact on the gameplay, the reason for them being there could be drawn down to aesthetics. So why wouldn't you want a class that gives you the satisfaction for grinding a character to the necessary level, and a pretty cool sprite +animations? Thoughts?

Edited by wigglepuppy

1 hour ago, Silverdawn77 said:

i actually love them, im excited for the morgana class, and yes if max stats are tied to the unit then i really don't understand peoples issue, its another class so yay

It goes against their principles or something.

If it was in game it would be fine(even though it'll be to little too late by the endgame) otherwise its not useful overall for the entire campaign just for design if they made it a mechanic in the next game it needs replayability and a Apotheosis map for the full complete benefits.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

30 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

If it was in game it would be fine(even though it'll be to little too late by the endgame) otherwise its not useful overall for the entire campaign just for design if they made it a mechanic in the next game it needs replayability and a Apotheosis map for the full complete benefits.

Exactly. Some people don't really want third tier classes in fear that they're overkill. But seeing as promoting units into these classes would be very late into the game unless you grind(which means you want to promote your units into these classes in the first place) then there's no problem for anybody. And as for Apotheosis....PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN IS!!!

8 hours ago, Indifferent said:

It goes against their principles or something.

Or that we know of absolutely no reason as to why the tier four classes would be useful. At this point it's expensive cosmetic.

15 hours ago, wigglepuppy said:

First of all, I should have explained better: I don't mean 4th tier classes seeing as they only apply to 2 class trees, I'm mainly talking about 3rd tier. As for the rest of your points, I agree.

I see, though it would have been better to simply implement 3rd tiers and ignore 4th tiers. That way, classes would have been more balanced. It feels weird that certain class trees have more promotions than others.

But if max stats are tied to characters, and overclassing isn't a necessity, isn't that all the more reason to have them in the first place?

On the contrary: "max stats are tied to character" Thus, overclasses are, as far as we know right now, worthless from a gameplay perspective. Not to mention the fact that the game is too easy to warrant them in the first place.

"overclassing isn't a necessity" already states that they are superfluous.

If they have no significant impact on the gameplay, the reason for them being there could be drawn down to aesthetics. So why wouldn't you want a class that gives you the satisfaction for grinding a character to the necessary level, and a pretty cool sprite +animations? Thoughts?

Yes, I agree, the main and only point of these classes right now is aesthetics. However, people are different. Some value gameplay more and some value aesthetics instead. I'm in the former group. Consequently, the classes don't appeal to me. This may change if we get Apotheosis and more information regarding the classes.

If I like how the classes look I probably won't care too much. However I do think it would be nice to see 3rd tiers and branch promotions worked into Fire Emblem games more reagurly before we start testing the waters with overclass. Which might basically be the "limit breaker"of the game, also while overclass might be overkill (had to do that), I've been overpowered just by having Dart the Berserker on the map in FE7 so being overpowered is not going to be new. I mean I'm pretty sure my Gold Knight will be overpowered anyway and if he's maxed out might as well promote him to his overclass so he can at least get the 1 EXP per kill.

3 hours ago, Cyas said:

I see, though it would have been better to simply implement 3rd tiers and ignore 4th tiers. That way, classes would have been more balanced. It feels weird that certain class trees have more promotions than others.

On the contrary: "max stats are tied to character" Thus, overclasses are, as far as we know right now, worthless from a gameplay perspective. Not to mention the fact that the game is too easy to warrant them in the first place.

"overclassing isn't a necessity" already states that they are superfluous.

Yes, I agree, the main and only point of these classes right now is aesthetics. However, people are different. Some value gameplay more and some value aesthetics instead. I'm in the former group. Consequently, the classes don't appeal to me. This may change if we get Apotheosis and more information regarding the classes.

I see where you're coming from but that's just the point. If overclasses are used strictly for aesthetics, then it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. Those who want to overclass will be able to do so and those who don't won't be affected by not overclassing whatsoever. Since they are superfluous, it doesn't matter if you're into gameplay or aesthetics since they only affect aesthetics. It's not a matter of gameplay vs aesthetics. Rather its if you care about aesthetics vs you don't.

2 hours ago, Mackc2 said:

I enjoy making units as stupidly strong as possible so this is cool 

Totally agree, im gonna buy all of them just give a ultimate map to jave extra fun there

That's good if you don't have anything to besides fighting only entombs by then plus ruins the challenge go ahead plus most will complain later about lack of challenge maps to continue that one file you grow units on for nothing (no hate).

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn