What kinds of new characters or units would you like to see?

Other than lords, of course, since they have their own thread right now. And this doesn't necessarily have to be new classes either, it can be a kind of character in an existing class that we don't see much or something like that.

I'd like a singer or bard with a horse, personally. And/or a singer/dancer/bard that's a more masculine guy rather than a feminine one. Reyson and Rafiel are pretty boys, Nils is a little boy who looks no more than 10 (even though he's really a half-dragon), and Elfin looks rather feminine as well. None are more manly men. I've liked both these ideas ever since I created an OC that's both (a manly male singer on a horse). Wouldn't a mounted singer especially be handy with the amount of movement he/she could get?

I also wouldn't mind something like the Wagon class line I came up with awhile back either. It's like Merlinus in Elibe, only with combat abilities. My Wagon class doesn't actually gain a weapon until promotion, but I'd be fine with them being able to fight in their base class too. I gave them bows since it seemed the most practical, plus we don't have as many classes that wield bows as some other weapons.

Edited by Anacybele

Ralph is clearly male, but not "manly". When I hear that term I picture like, some buff dude or Gaston from Beauty and the Beast. But yeah, doesn't matter, he's still unique.

Wyvern riders with bows. Female axe fighters in the old style, so Charlotte doesn't count. Heck, how about a female pirate? A blind archer or mage who uses their hearing to pinpoint targets. A thief who thieves because they're a treasure nut. So Gaius, only shiny things instead of sweets. A manakete who isn't a little lolly girl or female in general. There was Jahn and Bantu, but that's it. We need more male manaketes. 

A few of those I covered with OCs lol.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And/or a singer/dancer/bard that's a more masculine guy rather than a feminine one. Reyson and Rafiel are pretty boys, Nils is a little boy who looks no more than 10 (even though he's really a half-dragon), and Elfin looks rather feminine as well. None are more manly men. I've liked both these ideas ever since I created an OC that's both (a manly male singer on a horse)?

You rang?

Granted, FE4 and FE5 Bards work differently than the rest of the series because they're combat units, and Homer's still kind of a pretty boy, but he flaunts his pecs, drinks, and parties his way through cities while also being a more than competent mage. I feel like making future bards like a mix of Reyson/Rafiel/Elfin/Nils and Homer/Lewyn, as in combat units who can still sing and play music. They already do this with Dancers, giving them the option to use swords, might as well give Bards the same love.

I doubt we'd ever see one on a horse, though. They're supposed to be equivalents of Dancers, and you really can't dance on a horse(Though this does give me an idea for a Gym-Kata class...). Plus, I don't think it'd add much. Bards are supposed to hang out in the back lines. Typically horse units have horses so they can rush in to the frontlines. Even Troubadours are more of a front line unit than Bards are.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I doubt we'd ever see one on a horse, though. They're supposed to be equivalents of Dancers, and you really can't dance on a horse(Though this does give me an idea for a Gym-Kata class...). Plus, I don't think it'd add much. Bards are supposed to hang out in the back lines. Typically horse units have horses so they can rush in to the frontlines. Even Troubadours are more of a front line unit than Bards are.

Except dancing and singing aren't the same? In gameplay terms, they do have the same function, but while you're right that you can't dance on a horse, you can definitely sing atop one. I don't see the problem here.

And it'd add some things. Like I said, a turn-restoring unit with more movement means they can be in range of more people to restore turns to. And Horse Emblem teams in Heroes later on would love this. :P

2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I would like to see:

- An Armored Wyvern class

- An Axe using Pegasus Knight

- A mounted dagger user.

A.) Wyvern Knights are already "armored". They typically have the second highest defense growth rates after Knights. It'd be a bit ridiculous to give them MORE armor when they can already fly. If you mean make their design more armored? Maybe.

B.) Pegasus Knights fill a specific archetype, and that arechtype is basically "Mage-killing myrmidon of the sky", which is antithetical to the types of units who use axes(Big, burly, some variance on speed/skill and defense). Axes don't really help their role at all, and Wyverns were already given axes to differentiate themselves more from Peggies.

C.) A mounted dagger user also makes very little sense. Daggers are used to get in close and personal, which is why it's the weapon-type usually associated with Thieves and Assassins. Horse units, on the other hand, typically wield things like lances and swords because it gives them the range to attack from the back of a horse. Plus, a stabbing weapon that barely extends past your hand is nothing but bad news when you're moving at 30mph on a horse.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Except dancing and singing aren't the same? In gameplay terms, they do have the same function, but while you're right that you can't dance on a horse, you can definitely sing atop one. I don't see the problem here.

And it'd add some things. Like I said, a turn-restoring unit with more movement means they can be in range of more people to restore turns to. And Horse Emblem teams in Heroes later on would love this. :P

I was mostly just saying that because of gameplay balance. There hasn't been a single game in the franchise outside of Tellius(Which is a weird case), where we've had Bards but NO Dancers. Dancers are usually the go-to unit for being able to restore turns on units. Plus, Dancers have existed for longer, and we all know how IS feels about legacy classes/units.

If we were to have a game with Bards again, we'd likely also have Dancers. And having a Bard on a horse would make them innately a better unit than the Dancer. Though maybe we could have a game where Bards are mounted, and Dancers are support/combat units to balance it out, but then we likely wouldn't have manly Bards.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I was mostly just saying that because of gameplay balance. There hasn't been a single game in the franchise outside of Tellius(Which is a weird case), where we've had Bards but NO Dancers. Dancers are usually the go-to unit for being able to restore turns on units. Plus, Dancers have existed for longer, and we all know how IS feels about legacy classes/units.

If we were to have a game with Bards again, we'd likely also have Dancers. And having a Bard on a horse would make them innately a better unit than the Dancer. Though maybe we could have a game where Bards are mounted, and Dancers are support/combat units to balance it out, but then we likely wouldn't have manly Bards.

There's a first time for everything though.

Like it took 14 games to get a playable male Pegasus rider. :P (Subaki)

I really want bird shape shifters back, to be honest. We've had bunnies, werewolves and foxes. Can we please represent the bird people? Also, dragons. Like PoR/RD dragons. is my laguz bias showing? But a male, non-shota manakete unit would suffice as Corrin doesn't count to me.

Also, I jump on the bandwagon of a male, non-shota bard. Pretty boys are okay, but, like, give me a bard with a build and face similar Gatrie. Give me that, and I will get a feeling so damn complicated.

A return of Soldiers and Halberdiers would be nice. Spear Fighters were nice, but they were not what I truly wanted.

All the stuff I want are already done lol

Anyway...

As for what I want, I want a heavy/bruiser-type sword foot unit. Kind of like Ike, but as its own class, separate from Ike's interpretation of the Merc/Hero classline. As it stands now, Myrmidons and Mercs are a bit too similar in the endgame, with Mercs/Heroes generally having the advantage due to the higher strength caps and axes. I'd like to see a swordie built more like a Fighter, maybe with a bit more speed, and a bit less HP/Str. Especially if the next game does the "two-tier" weapon system that Radiant Dawn started, where each weapon type has a "Heavy" version that weighs more, has lower hit, but much higher might(Yeah, Blades have existed for a long time, but Radiant Dawn did the best job at contextualizing this). A super strong sword user other than Ike who could make use of these swords would be cool to see. Maybe for design they could use Greatswords in their character models.

Similarly, I've hit on this in other threads, but I want a well-balanced Axe unit. Axe units tend to either be super strong and super tanky(Wyverns), super strong meatwalls(Warriors), or super strong and super fast(Pirates/Brigands), with extreme deficits in other stats. An axe unit with a merc-like stat distribution would be more fun to play with, IMO. I mostly just want to see FE5-esque Fighters again.

Edited by Slumber

I'd personally like the Bow knights/Nomads to make a return.  I personally think that FE has enough class variety already that it needs no new classes for a long time.  If you want interesting class variety, bring back classes from FE's 4, 5, and 2.  Hell, SOV is the first time we're seeing Barons since FE 4 (Maybe 5, Haven't finished it yet).  All I care about is Light magic returning.  Really.  I want to have a full magical trinity like RD or like the GBA games did.  Give us dark and light so we have contrast.  The world needs balance, and if RD didn't teach us that, class representation most certainly will. Maybe we'll get some Mageknights or Valkyries who wield light magic.

Bring back carona skill

I like to see if we can a male character in a dancer class, not cross dressing like Forrest, but in a male-type dancer outfit. More male Pegasus Knights like Subaki and Shigure from Fates, another female Fighter that isn't a lot similar to Charlotte, female Brigand, female Warrior, female Baron, return of male Torbadours and Valkyries. Also, I do like to see if they can make Barons return and give it for any pre-promoted playable characters as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

Gameplay wise it wouldn't be the best unit, but having a class that used bows and magic would be really interesting. Especially if we keep the updated weapon triangle from Fates to give mages another way to deal with hidden weapons, and re-introduce the 1-5 range bows had in Gaiden. I know that means having balanced stats between strength and magic (which inevitably means lowered stats in other areas as a result for balance), but I feel this could work as a versatile supporting class with mostly balanced stat with a slight leaning towards higher skill/speed and res but lower HP and def. Or it could end up being brushed aside like Sages and knives in FE9. Since FE:Switch will probably end up with children units (whether or not that's a good thing is another matter entirely) it at least gives an option for hyprid pairings to use. Plus having more classes to use never hurt, right?

Other than that, maybe give us a few pirates to recruit? It would be pretty nice to recruit someone like Fargus from FE7, being an older character they could provide insights that younger members of the army or lords don't have yet, but give a unique perspective of the harsh life of the sea. Hearing tales of the adventures he's been on, the ship battles he's endured, learning to live without the conviences of the mainland etc... 

How about a flying class that isn't mounted? The only ones of these we've had so far are Bird Laguz, FE3/12 Wyverns, and a number of enemy classes like Mogalls and TRS's Harpies.

Can we have an armored mage class? Rather low Magic is compensated for with attacking Resistance and being able to attack a lot of baddies due to good HP and Defense. It'd work better than trying to make Sorcerers bulky and tossing them Nosferatu.

I'm also concurring that a male bard/dancer who isn't pretty/shota would be nice. There are plenty of actors, singers, and male dancers IRL who aren't pretty or effeminate (male ballet dancers are so masculine with the strength and finesse of their routines). And on that note, why not abolish Dancer/Bard altogether and just make those skills personal skills of given characters like in TRS? Assuming no reclass that is. With reclass, keep the Dancer/Bard classes.

Most of these probably aren't really new classes so much as they are reinterpretations of older classes, but I'll put in my two cents as well:

-a non-flying class that rides dragons (could be thought of as a tankier but slower alternative of the Cavalier class)

-an armored promotion for Mages; basically like Generals, but with more Magic and Resistance in exchange for HP and Defense (in other words, a newer version of the Baron class from the Jugdral games)

-an alternate promotion for Myrmidons that wields tomes, if Thieves are going to start wielding daggers like in Fates (basically the Mage Fighter class from Genealogy of the Holy War with an appropriately Eastern design)

-a transforming class similar to Laguz/Taguels that can transform into different types of animals like Manaketes in the Archanea games (for example, it could transform into a wolf for balanced stats, a bear for Strength and Defense, or a hawk for Speed and Resistance)

Classes:

• Return of War Monks, or something similar. Basically a healer, but more defensive. Healers have typically been weak, and cannot take a hit. So, maybe an armored healer. Something with more bulk, not as much as a knight, but enough to survive on the front lines. 
  • A good Adventurer class. The one in Fates was not good. I'm thinking more of a Sword and Bow Infantry unit. Similar to Assassins in Awakening, but not connected to thieves. 
  • Better transformation (beast/dragon) classes.
  • Templar - swords and staffs, infantry. I want something similar to Angelo from Dragon Quest 8. He is my favorite character in that game, and I enjoyed his skills. 

Characters:

• As I said above, Angelo was a great character in DQ8, so i want someone similar to him in Fire Emblem. 
  • Adult Mages. We've had so many young, or young looking mages in recent games. 
  • No "character copies". Fates overdid it. Having Owain, Inigo, and Severa was great, but having Gaius, Tharja, and Cordelia copies pushed it.

Classes:

I definitely would like the soldier line to be in the game, especially if we get a character like Nephenee in the game

tier 3 classes is another hope of mine,

and the final thing would be giving falcon knights their sword utility back, I'm sorry, I enjoy having healers, but the falcon knights in the gba games kick way too much butt by having better weapon utility, plus we have clerics, troubadours who should be doing a bulk of the healing,  mages also get to healing capabilities when they promote, so healing should be covered enough, if they bring back the adventurer line from fates or trickster from awakening then there's another healer

Something that I think would be cool is an axe unit who can cast magic preferably dark, although ice spells would also be cool. He/ she will have high HP, High Str, High Sp, good skill and magic, defense and resistance is decent. Luck is okay but nothing amazing. Growths would look something like this:

HP 85%

STR 75%

Magic 60%

Skill 45%

Speed 70%

Luck 15%

Defense 30%

Resistance 45%

Hopefully I didn't overdo any of the percentages but this should give you an idea of what I had in mind.