Guilty Pleasure Units

FE10 Rolf and Gatrie are far away of being bad.
Gatrie is great actually in the entire game except maybe endgame where's decent at worst.
Rolf is overshadowed by Shinon's base level but still an unit with great potential. Even in HM more than usable especially when he has the silencer and paragon.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/16/2017 at 8:21 PM, Katie said:

Moulder also starts with C staves, whereas Natasha starts with D. Staff rank alone makes Moulder much more useful than Natasha.

This isn't FE6, where weapon rank rises at a snail's pace, so that doesn't convince me - C rank staves don't even become relevant until past the halfway mark.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

FE11: Athena, and the 15 gravestones involved in getting her
FE12/3: Cecil, though she's a lot easier to use in the original FE3
FE4: Johan. I still argue to this day that him an Johalva are exactly the same in stats.
FE5: Makua, even if Mareeta outclasses her.
FE6: Fir. Getting her promotion item is a hassle. (was gonna say Echidna, but she's not bad)
FE7: Rebecca. I even used her in HHM
FE8: Artur. Early promoting him for a second C in staves is very good for chapter 14 if you are going the Ephraim route.
FE9: Mia. Everyone and their mothers was telling me to use Zihark, but I refused.
FE10: I don't think I used a "bad" unit here.
FE13: Vaike and Cherche on no-grind runs.
FE14-B: Orochi and her low Spd ass.
FE14-C: Arthur. He's pretty good and ironically reliable. Great option against ninjas too.
FE14-R: Playing this game on it's own more than once. Lunatic, no less. What was I thinking...

Can you even not use someone in Gaiden/Echoes?

28 minutes ago, SalShich10N said:

FE5: Machyua, even if Mareeta outclasses her.

Eh, Machyua at least has Axe access when she promotes to make her stand out more.  In my playthrough of Thracia 776, I'm even thinking about benching Osian in favor of her because she has mostly better stats and his Pugi isn't going to last forever (and I would prefer not to take the B Route just to get another one).

45 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Gatrie is bad, how, exactly?

Anyway, Donnel, I guess.

He isn't bad, but he's an armor. It takes some time until he gets anywhere, in comparison to your other units. You could be using another character instead and you wouldn't be missing much since his stats are just ok. I don't mind it because I'm ok with taking it slow instead of rushing the map, for that Gatrie is good enough.

He's even worse on FE9 because he is put in a bus until he joins in midgame with average stats. Still salvageable, but not really worth it unless you like him.

Rolf is overshadowed by Shinon's base level but still an unit with great potential. Even in HM more than usable especially when he has the silencer and paragon.

He is definitely usable, but Shinon does everything that he does but better. He'll just be occupying space that could be filled by a better unit in the long run. Silencer would be much more useful on Shinon, and so would Paragon for other units, like Sanaki.

Edited by Rapier

I used Fir, but is she really that bad? Granted, my Rutger died in my Chapter 7 playthrough so that could be the difference but...

I used Arthur, and apparently he's also not worth using either? Okay, well, his Luck is horrendous, but just collect the 2-3 Goddess Statues, equip a Bronze weapon, and you should be golden. (The statues don't help much in general anyway, unless you're either Fates!Arthur, SS!Knoll, or anyone from Binding Blade.)

Edited by henrymidfields

24 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

I used Fir, but is she really that bad?

Not really, in my opinion. I think the only problem is that she's low leveled while everyone else would be at a higher level (like, above 9 or something). But she's recruited in the place known as "axeland". And she's a sword user, so....

Just now, Flee Fleet! said:

Not really, in my opinion. I think the only problem is that she's low leveled while everyone else would be at a higher level (like, above 9 or something). But she's recruited in the place known as "axeland". And she's a sword user, so....

That's what I thought too. Perhaps there's just not much reason to use her had my Rutger survived my playthrough? But then again, considering how FE6 is Swordmaster Emblem and especially Avoid-tank Emblem, what would stop me from using both?

25 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

That's what I thought too. Perhaps there's just not much reason to use her had my Rutger survived my playthrough? But then again, considering how FE6 is Swordmaster Emblem and especially Avoid-tank Emblem, what would stop me from using both?

tbh both are great, with Fir being more dodgy and Rutger more stronger. 

4 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

I used Fir, but is she really that bad? Granted, my Rutger died in my Chapter 7 playthrough so that could be the difference but...

I used Arthur, and apparently he's also not worth using either? Okay, well, his Luck is horrendous, but just collect the 2-3 Goddess Statues, equip a Bronze weapon, and you should be golden. (The statues don't help much in general anyway, unless you're either Fates!Arthur, SS!Knoll, or anyone from Binding Blade.)

I'd say Fir isn't that bad - sure, she comes underleveled, but on the other hand, she comes in during an axe heavy segment of the game.

First off, when does the third goddess icon come into play? Because I don't remember. Second, I can think of others who benefit more than Arthur.

On 6/18/2017 at 1:33 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

This isn't FE6, where weapon rank rises at a snail's pace, so that doesn't convince me - C rank staves don't even become relevant until past the halfway mark.

If you're not playing at a snail's pace, building weapon rank in FE8 takes time compared to the relatively short number of chapters in the game.  Regardless, even disregarding weapon rank, it takes Natasha ten levels to have an equal magic with Moulder (who gained the same number of levels).  Additionally, she has worse Skl/Spd/Def, only beating him in Lck/Res.  Oh, but I guess since she's beating him in Luck, she's automatically better lol.

25 minutes ago, Refa said:

If you're not playing at a snail's pace, building weapon rank in FE8 takes time compared to the relatively short number of chapters in the game.  Regardless, even disregarding weapon rank, it takes Natasha ten levels to have an equal magic with Moulder (who gained the same number of levels).  Additionally, she has worse Skl/Spd/Def, only beating him in Lck/Res.  Oh, but I guess since she's beating him in Luck, she's automatically better lol.

Well, you do have a point there. However, about the only thing Moulder can really claim statwise is that speed lead - a marginal defense lead doesn't mean much when even cannon fodder has a chance to crit you, and lolskill.

4 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Well, you do have a point there. However, about the only thing Moulder can really claim statwise is that speed lead - a marginal defense lead doesn't mean much when even cannon fodder has a chance to crit you, and lolskill.

He also has better HP, specially after leveling because he has an non-mediocre HP Growth, this makes him better to take physical hits

Edited by Troykv

3 minutes ago, Troykv said:

He also has better HP, specially after leveling because he has an non-mediocre HP Growth, this makes him better to take physical hits

Which, as far as I'm concerned, is also undone by the fact that his luck is so bad even cannon fodder has crit chances on him.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Knoll. A lot of people say he's pretty terrible in general, but he's turned out pretty great in the are's he's best in whenever I use him. My comments on him in general also apply to Summoners, which are pretty great for utility and can be good offensively in a pinch.

FE3 : Book 1: Caesar, Radd and Rickard. Book 2: Matthis, (Untransformed) Xane and Est

FE5: Marty, Trude, Salem and Eda

FE7: Rebecca

FE8 : (General) Amelia, (Summoner) Ewan, (Ranger) Gerik, (Sniper) Neimi

FE11: The Father Dolph, The Son Macellan and The Holy Spirit Thomas. As well as (Sniper) Midia, (Swordmaster) Wrys and (Mage) Maria

FE12: Swordmaster Wrys again

FE15: Mage Atlas

Edited by Mega Koopa X

FE 7 - I always put Eliwood on the frontlines, even if he's stuck at level 20 until he promotes. I also use Erk until endgame. That one healer guy you get really late...Renaud? He saved my rear countless times.

FE 13 - Stahl with a bronze sword even at endgame. Virion, Virion!Owain and Tiki.

FE 14 - Rinkah in both Birthright and Revelations, Odin in Revelations alongside Laslow, Peri and Niles.

FE 15 - People say that Tobin is the worst villager, but I'm not seeing it. Bow Knight Tobin is one of my best units, if not the best.

3 hours ago, Lautsuu said:

FE 7 - I always put Eliwood on the frontlines, even if he's stuck at level 20 until he promotes. I also use Erk until endgame. That one healer guy you get really late...Renaud? He saved my rear countless times.

FE 13 - Stahl with a bronze sword even at endgame. Virion, Virion!Owain and Tiki.

FE 14 - Rinkah in both Birthright and Revelations, Odin in Revelations alongside Laslow, Peri and Niles.

FE 15 - People say that Tobin is the worst villager, but I'm not seeing it. Bow Knight Tobin is one of my best units, if not the best.

I think Tobin might've been buffed in Shadows of Valentia.  He was probably the worst Villager in the original game, in which he was badly hurt by his low Speed growth.

15 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think Tobin might've been buffed in Shadows of Valentia.  He was probably the worst Villager in the original game, in which he was badly hurt by his low Speed growth.

Yeah, I remember hearing that. I've never played the original Gaiden, so everything I know comes from Echoes.

Fuck if I know who is good or bad, but....

4. Arden

5. Marty, Tanya, Ronan

6. Gonzales

7. Wallace, Isadora?

8. Dozla

9. Rolf

10. Nolan?

11. Roshea

12. Malice/Maris? (I forgot her official name), Dice

13. Idk

14. Charlotte

15. Mycen?

Heroes. Sheena

TMS. Eleanora??? Idk who is concidered good or not

On 5/6/2017 at 0:47 AM, Tolvir said:

Tharja. Yes she gets a ton of hate for being "horrible", she is a fanservice character, and is probably a character with one of the most mixed reactions of any game community I have seen, but I still love using the character. She makes it into FE Warriors, she will likely be one of the characters I play the most. I like her design, not for the fanservice, but because I actually found it unique. I liked the Egyptian style they were going with. I also thought outside of her Robin and Noire supports, she was a really interesting character. Definitely one of my favorite mages.

Now I have a mental image of Tharja wearing a Cleopatra costume for Halloween... *sings* Walk like an Egyptian

Okay, back to the topic!

Lilina - She may have meh speed and skill; but the latter is patched up by a ridiculously fast support with Roy. For some reason, she likes to proc SPD growths for me and if she chooses not to grow SPD; well... at least I still have a nuke around in case there are any low RES targets around. She also gets to be my Forblaze user due to her nuke-tastic damage.

Sophia - As much I find raising her is a pain; I don't mind as long as it is a Dark magic user.

L'Arachel - She's hilarious and promoting her to Valkyrie (despite of my distaste of Light magic) and having this mental image of her yelling "JUSTICE!" while wrecking through monsters is just awesome.

Isadora - Sure sure, she's overshadowed by the other Paladins but I don't give a crap; and I find her and Harken adorable.

Knoll - Again, a Dark mage is a delight for me to use. Also Summoners!

For FE Heroes counterparts:

Sully - I heard she's quite lackluster in FE: Heroes but she's a Red-armored cavalier! I'll do anything just to make sure she'll be quite scary in the longer run.

Edited by Frosty

On May 4, 2017 at 8:37 PM, saisymbolic said:

Ilyana. People hate her because of her personality, which is admittedly nonexistent. That, however, does not stop me from using and supporting her with Zihark so I can get those brief, insignificant conversations between them in RD. She actually isn't that bad of a unit, to be honest, and I always had fun using her while playing. Plus, I think she's cute. Sue me.

Kyza. A terrible excuse for a Tiger, but I could never bring myself not to use him. I remember his strength always being RNG screwed when I played, but I preserved and brought him to Endgame every time.

Makalov. I'm probably one of few people that actually like and enjoy using Makalov. Finally, a character whose frivolous and irresponsible gambling ways actually impact others in a negative manner, and he's called out on it. Sure, he's not the greatest looking. Sure, the other cavaliers probably outclass him. Sure, his role in the story is minimal. Sure, his development isn't the most groundbreaking. But you know what? I don't give a rat's ass.

Omg Makalov is one of mine too. My Tellius guilty pleasure list is vast. 

Blazing Sword:

Bartre. I love him. I love everything about him, except his base speed. But if he winds up with an early speed proc, hes on the team. 

Karla. Cuz Bartre/Karla is my shit. 

Rath. I love Rath. I dont use Snipers in this game so a mobile bow user is good stuff. 

Serra. Oh yes. 

Isadora  The robe she comes with and the body ring in the desert = better than wasting my time raising a cav  

Sacred Stones:

L'Arachel. She benefits from early promotion so much.  Plus her ham and cheese is great. 

Amelia cuz i dont use that many cavs in this game. Seth and Amelia are doing the cav/pally things. Plus i always use lady cavs. 

Syrene cuz pegs. I love pegs. 

Tellius:

Tormod. Both games. Hes a cool dude and kinda sturdy if raised, so yeah. 

Makalov. Both games. Hes decent, and in a game(s) where his class is bomb, why not? Plus his janky personality is interesting. 

Fiona (RD). Shes the only one flying Daein standards on her horse in the game. Plus i just love her. 

Laura (RD). I like having her nuke things. So tiny....

Pelleas (RD). Story reasons tend to make me use him, but hes the only dark mage thats playable. So i use him. 

Nealuchi (RD). Because raven bias and i love that old coot. 

Vika (RD). Raven bias and her design is wtf levels of amazing 

Sigrun (RD). Shes a favorite, even if shes not great. 

Awakening:

Virion. I love him so much. 

Nowi. Everyone hates her. I think shes great. 

Tharja. I have a soft spot for her. 

Fates:

Odin because he's hilarious and has best kid. 

Orochi. Love her attitude. 

Hayato. Mostly cuz his child. 

Benny. What a love <3

Shadows of Valentia:

Clive. My first Clive turned out so good, ill never not love the guy. 

Luthier. What an adorable nerd. 

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Mine include

Roshea (protect him from 3/12, from what I remember playing Shadow Dragon)

Nowi: DRAGONS also really cute supports

Orochi: Why do people hate her?

Subaki: Pretty good in my first Rev. playthrough

Both of my teams in heroes. Minus Young Tiki, Reinhardt and Lukas, everyone else is lower tier. I love these dorks so much, I was sad when I had to bench 3 of them (sorry Matthew, Soren and Sheena)