Guilty Pleasure Units

55 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Orochi: Why do people hate her?

Because she's slow as Slouise molasses and thus very frail, but at the same time has to be used if you want to make use of Capture and you aren't playing Revelation.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Because she's slow as Slouise molasses and thus very frail, but at the same time has to be used if you want to make use of Capture and you aren't playing Revelation.

Oh ok. I thought it was personality or something 

My biggest Guilty Pleasure unit is Rebecca because even though I know she's bad I always like to have one archer on my team and ever since my first 7 run she's always been my go to after a ton of baby sitting

Firstly, speaking very broadly, I really don't subscribe to the notion that a unit requiring investment inherently makes them bad, partly because that's an idea that's very much founded in a playstyle that I really have no interest in, but mostly because seeing the payoff of putting investment into a less-immediately-strong unit is an experience I very much enjoy in Fire Emblem.

I do have examples of specific characters, too, though!

• Roshea's definitely one. I'm fully aware that he's not that great, and his downright bizarre HP/Strength/Skill-focused growths (which include abysmal Speed) are super janky and definitely not helping, but I love his design, and he's a super sweet guy, too.
  • Roger, who I always used over Draug as my Knight in the DSFE games. I actually have no idea how good he's considered to be, but he's always been really nice and solid whenever I've used him. Shame about what New Mystery did with his personality, though.
  • Radd's design is Radd, which itself is enough to get me to use him despite how much babying it takes. It's my understanding that he's... better... in New Mystery? but I almost never hear him talked about in the context of that game.
  • Reiden has sorta earned his way into my good graces despite my previous indifference towards him due to being a reliable Sniper on my hard mode playthrough of New Mystery.
  • I'm fully aware that Atlas is probably the worst of the Valentian Villagers by most objective metrics, but damned if I don't have a soft spot for him anyway, thanks to Echoes.
  • Lyn seems more contentious a character than I expected? Honestly, I don't really care. I still like her and don't think she's that bad a unit.
  • Using Nino has become something of a tradition for me in FE7. I like her as a character too much not to, honestly.
  • RossAmelia, and Ewan always get used whenever I play Sacred Stones. I just really love the concept of "trainee"-type units, honestly.
  • Boyd is the only playable Fighter in Path of Radiance, so I use him. I actually kinda like his character, too.
  • Mist and Rolf are both units I always make a point to train up despite their lackluster starting situations, because they're both decently-plot-relevant, at least early on, and I do rather like both of them.
  • I always try and train up Astrid, for no real reason other than that I just like her. Paragon definitely makes it easier.
  • Meg and Fiona. I've barely even played Radiant Dawn, and I know for a fact that I'm gonna shower both of them in ridiculous favoritism and bring them into the endgame. Both of their designs are just so great.
  • I guess Donnel, since he seems to be pretty widely-considered to be bad. I don't really care, and I love marrying him to somebody who has a son specifically to pass down Villager and make Donnel not the only one who has access to it. I do this being totally aware of how much it sucks.
  • Inigo seems frequently-maligned as a character, if not as a unit, from what I've seen, but he's actually my favorite child character in Awakening, and I always make a point to use him.
  • Rinkah takes a bit of work to get going, largely thanks to her base E ranking in Axes, but taking the time to get her rolling has always been worth it for me.
  • Arthur. As risky-at-best a unit as he may be, I just really like him as a character, despite how gimmicky he is. They could very easily have taken him in the "acts like a hero on the surface but is actually self-centered and cowardly" direction, since they were clearly aiming for comedy, so I really appreciate that they didn't. As silly and lighthearted a take on this type of character he may be, I really admire the type of character (and person!) who continues to be kind and do good even in the face of adversity that directly impacts the ease with which they can do so.
  • Yuzu's apparently the worst out of the Cipher units, but her design is honestly my favorite out of all of them, and she comes as my favorite FE class of all time, so...
Edited by Topaz Light

Don't ask me why, but Wil has been a decent Sniper for me. I also kept Kent on the field for a while because I needed the extra movement to succeed on later maps.

On June 23, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

On that note, does Birthright even have anyone worth capturing?

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

On that note, does Birthright even have anyone worth capturing?

I mean, you can get Daniela, Lloyd, Llewellyn, Nichol, Candace, Tarba, Daichi, and Funke from it but I dunno if any of them are considered remotely worthwhile. Haitaka really seems to be the big one from what I can tell.

9 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

I mean, you can get Daniela, Lloyd, Llewellyn, Nichol, Candace, Tarba, Daichi, and Funke from it but I dunno if any of them are considered remotely worthwhile. Haitaka really seems to be the big one from what I can tell.

Daniela is decent from my experience. She comes with Savage Blow, which is nice.