Ross (Pupil) not auto-promoting

kyuseok93

I am currently making a bunch of edits to FE8, one of which is changing Ross into a Pupil. I've changed his character to the class "Trainee Mage (1)". I've edited Ch.2 so that Ross comes as a "Trainee Mage (1)", holding a Fire tome and a Vulnerary. He's reached level 10, but he's not auto-promoting before the start of the next battle. What could be the problem? Apologies if this is a known issue.

At 207044, there are 4-byte entries for each trainee. First byte is the character id, second byte is the level for autopromotion, third byte is the class id they should be in to promote, and 4th is a spacer. You'll want to change the third byte of whichever characters are modified (the order is Ross (0x7), Amelia (0x12), Ewan (0x18)).

Function checking this begins at CC6D4, for anyone else looking to modify this.

15 hours ago, Tequila said:

At 207044, there are 4-byte entries for each trainee. First byte is the character id, second byte is the level for autopromotion, third byte is the class id they should be in to promote, and 4th is a spacer. You'll want to change the third byte of whichever characters are modified (the order is Ross (0x7), Amelia (0x12), Ewan (0x18)).

Function checking this begins at CC6D4, for anyone else looking to modify this.

Thanks so much for the reply. I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but unfortunately, I'm a total beginner at ROM hacking and am just now starting to get the hang of Nightmare. I understand that I probably need to use the hex editor andĀ find the offset 207044, but I'm stuck there. Not sure where the 4 bytes are, and what to do in hex editor, vs. what to do in Nightmare. I've looked through some other threads/tutorials and whatnot, but this is as far as I got... Would you mind breaking it down a bit more? Sorry for my incompetence lol.