The Disney Thread

Anacybele

So, we've had a Disney-related thread here and there, but never a general Disney thread, I don't think. So why not have one?

I recently saw Moana and I liked it! It's not my favorite Disney Princess movie, but man was Maui amusing. lol Dwayne Johnson, the Rock did him perfectly. XD Also, one of my favorite former American football players voiced a background character in this movie! Former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu did a villager! I was so surprised to see his name in the credits, though it actually makes a lot of sense. Polamalu is from Samoa and this movie takes place in the Pacific islands which Samoa is one of.

So yeah, talk about favorite Disney movies, favorite Disney characters, favorite Disney music, Disney parks, and so on. Disney's probably been a part of many of our lives here at some point, am I right? It's a huge movie-making organization, after all, and their merch is everywhere, with the current biggest things being Frozen and Star Wars (Disney now owns this), it seems (with slightly lesser ones being Finding Dory and Moana and other new releases).

As for my favs...

Animated Movie: Frozen

Disney Princess Movie: The Princess and the Frog

Movie about animals: Bambi (shoutout to Zootopia though!)

Live Action Movie: National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets (Inspector Gadget and the Air Buddies series are very close seconds though)

Pixar Movie: Ratatouille

Trilogy/Duology/Series: Aladdin Trilogy (National Treasure's duology and the Air Buddies series are very close seconds)

Sequel: The Return of Jafar, The Lion King II: Simba's Pride

TV Series: Proud Family (I actually didn't watch many Disney TV shows though...)

Character: Goofy (honorable mentions are Thumper from Bambi, Maximus from Tangled, Elsa from Frozen and Naveen from The Princess and the Frog)

Princess: Elsa (Jasmine as an honorable mention)

Prince: Naveen (with Hercules as an honorable mention)

Sidekick character: Phil (from Hercules, with Genie from Aladdin and Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast as an honorable mention)

Animal character: Thumper (from Bambi, but a shoutout to Maximus from Tangled and Judy Hopps from Zootopia!)

Villain: Hades (from Hercules)

Character that doesn't really fit any of those categories: Phoebas (from The Hunchback of Notre Dame)

Songs: Oh, I could list so many. But for now I'll say "Let it Go" from Frozen, "A Whole New World" from Aladdin, pretty much everything from The Lion King (but especially "I Just Can't Wait to be King" and "Can You Feel The Love Tonight"), "Love Will Find a Way" from The Lion King II, "Love is a Song" from Bambi, "Go the Distance" from Hercules, and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" from the Disneyland Sing-Along Songs movie.

Disney Park Attraction: Big Thunder Mountain and It's A Small World (both in the Magic Kingdom)

I grew up on so much Disney stuff, so I pay attention to a lot of it. I've seen many classic Disney movies and sequels to the point where nobody could ever beat me in the Disney Trivia board game. Heh heh. Well, when the kid cards were used. The adult cards asked questions about things like history on Walt Disney himself and the company and all. I don't quite know THOSE details. :P

The only upcoming Disney movie that I can think of that I'm looking forward to is Frozen 2, but I hope we get a sequel to Zootopia as well.

Oh yeah, since Disney now owns them, feel free to talk about Marvel and Star Wars too!

Edited by Anacybele

if i have to fill in all those fucking things i totally will later but for now

my favorite disney movie is aladdin

haven't seen moana yet but I do really want to

Edited by unique

8 minutes ago, unique said:

^And I didn't even have to type it for myself^

Just for this song right here

Also, I'm happy to see that @Anacybele is one other person who actually remembers Proud Family. Though now, for me, Phineas and Ferb take the spot for TV show

And although I mentioned Prince Ali was my favorite song, I also like this because of the hilarious line he says about his hair.... ;)

Classic

Edited by Arcanite

11 minutes ago, unique said:

Nah, you don't have to if you don't want. XD I just did it for fun. :P

Aladdin is awesome. It'll forever have a sad spot for me because Robin Williams tho... ;_; I forgot to mention the Genie as one of my favorite characters up there too.

@Arcanite Seriously? People forgot about Proud Family? That show was awesome and Penny was one of the most relatable characters ever, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

@Arcanite Seriously? People forgot about Proud Family? That show was awesome and Penny was one of the most relatable characters ever, imo.

Well most of my friends anyway heh heh

Maybe I just need new friends?

They all remembered Kim Possible though. I didn't really find that show that interesting. The best part of that show was that super adorable naked mole rat lol

Okey doke, I suppose I can put my favorites down.  I'll only count "main" Disney stuff, and not Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, etc.

Movie: Beauty and the Beast.  (The animated, I refuse to acknowledge unnecessary Live Action remakes.)  This is one of the earliest movies I can remember seeing in Theaters.  My grandfather took me.

Princess: Belle, Elsa

Prince: Arthur (Sword in the Stone)

Song: Something There (Beauty and the Beast)

Sequel: Return of Jaffar

Sidekick/Mentor: Merlin, Genie

Favorite Duck: Scrooge McDuck

Animal: Sebastian

Villain: Scar, Gaston

I went a long period of my childhood without Cable, so a lot of the time, I didn't have access to the Disney Channel.

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Well most of my friends anyway heh heh

Maybe I just need new friends?

They all remembered Kim Possible though. I didn't really find that show that interesting. The best part of that show was that super adorable naked mole rat lol

Of course people remember Kim Possible. :P It was rather popular, I think. It even appealed to boys because my deceased brother loved it. I watched some of it in his memory, and it's okay, imo. There is one thing I love about it though: Ron. Just Ron. XD

EDIT: @Rezzy I don't acknowledge the unnecessary live action remakes either. I think they're just money grabbing and stuff. Though I must say, I can't completely hate them because I did like 102 Dalamatians, and that wouldn't have existed if the live action 101 Dalmatians wasn't made.

Also, I cannot consider Emma Watson as Belle. She doesn't fit the role, imo, and isn't even known for singing. I didn't even like her as Hermione in Harry Potter either.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, I liked the comics... Of which there were a lot more in my country and in places such as Italy, though it all started in the US of course. I was addicted to Disney comics at some point, but eventually threw them all away, which is unfortunate.

Since this is a gaming forum, it's worth mentioning the licensed Disney games, like Castle of Illusion and of course Capcom's SNES trilogy (which was re-released for the GBA). Capcom's games were excellent and not too hard either, which ironically was a source of criticism back in the day. People really didn't know any better.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Of course people remember Kim Possible. :P It was rather popular, I think. It even appealed to boys because my deceased brother loved it. I watched some of it in his memory, and it's okay, imo. There is one thing I love about it though: Ron. Just Ron. XD

EDIT: @Rezzy I don't acknowledge the unnecessary live action remakes either. I think they're just money grabbing and stuff. Though I must say, I can't completely hate them because I did like 102 Dalamatians, and that wouldn't have existed if the live action 101 Dalmatians wasn't made.

Also, I cannot consider Emma Watson as Belle. She doesn't fit the role, imo, and isn't even known for singing. I didn't even like her as Hermione in Harry Potter either.

I forgot about the 101 Dalmations remake, I guess that one wasn't so bad.  I'm just not a huge fan of remakes in general, especially for movies that are "perfect" or as close as a movie can get.  Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorites movie in general, not just Disney.  It's sort of the same rational people have for not liking Star Wars getting a new edition every couple of years.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not a huge fan of Emma Watson as an actress either; she has two expressions: smug or about to cry, but I don't want to turn this into the bash Emma Watson thread.

Movie: Lion King, it really wasn't much of a choice since as a child since I wasn't really a fan of things like Cendrillon or Beauty of the Beast.

Princess: Ergh, Mulan?

Prince: Erghhhhhhh

Pixar movies: Ratatouille, Wall-E

Sidekick: Mushu, Phumba and Timo

Animals: Characters mentionned above as well as Bambi, Lucifer, and the 101 dalmatians

Vilains: Scar

15 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

(The animated, I refuse to acknowledge unnecessary Live Action remakes.)

YES I knew I wasn't the only one

Also, my favorite main character was Flynn Rider from Tangled, even though Rapunzel was really the "main" character. The classic "they messed up my nose" thing in every poster was gold!

Favorite Disney Movie: Pirates of the Caribbean. Like, the whole series. Really looking forward to Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Favorite Pixar: Wall-E, Toy Story, Cars, Monsters Inc.

Favorite animated Disney film: Lion King

I would say Star Wars as my favorite Disney movie series, as they own it now, but when talking about Disney movies and such, I prefer to use Disney IPs that belonged to Disney to begin with.

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I forgot about the 101 Dalmations remake, I guess that one wasn't so bad.  I'm just not a huge fan of remakes in general, especially for movies that are "perfect" or as close as a movie can get.  Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorites movie in general, not just Disney.  It's sort of the same rational people have for not liking Star Wars getting a new edition every couple of years.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not a huge fan of Emma Watson as an actress either; she has two expressions: smug or about to cry, but I don't want to turn this into the bash Emma Watson thread.

I totally agree, man. And yeah, this isn't a thread for bashing actors. lol

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

YES I knew I wasn't the only one

Also, my favorite main character was Flynn Rider from Tangled, even though Rapunzel was really the "main" character. The classic "they messed up my nose" thing in every poster was gold!

That was hilarious. lol

I hope Disney makes more movies with knight characters. The only ones I can think of are Phoebas who I mentioned in the OP, and Sir Kay and Sir Ector (kind of) from The Sword in the Stone. It's so ironic how with all these Disney Princess movies, these knight characters aren't from them! I love all three too, though partly because I'm a sucker for knights whether they're part badass and part comic relief (Phoebas) or just plain comic relief (Kay and Ector). :P

Knights are so cool, I wish to see a Disney princess movie that has a named knight or two. And if someday my artist career lands me something Disney-related, I need to pitch an idea that takes parts of my FE fic and makes it its own original medieval story, though with best friends Bryan and Skye as the main characters rather than the lord, Azura (it would have more of the knight theme going on this way. None of these three characters are knights, but I think more knights would be featured).

Woo! Disney! I love Disney! I was raised with it, have been to the parks a couple of times, and have seen many of the movies time and time again. So, some favorites:

Favorite traditionally animated: Aladdin, Hercules, The Emperor's New Groove

Favorite computer animated: Tangled

Favorite live action: Pirates of the Caribbean, National Treasure

Favorite Pixar: The Incredibles

Favorite princess: Mulan (technically not one, but classified as such), Rapunzel, Moana

Favorite Sidekick: all of them Genie, Phil, and Mushu

Favorite villain: Yzma and Kronk, Scar

Favorite "Mickey Mouse" character: Donald Duck

Favorite underrated/forgotten: Treasure Planet, Atlantis, The Rescuers, Hunchback of Notre Dame

1 hour ago, unique said:

This! Plus I kinda like the Capcom game as well as the genesis one too. Wish Capcom can port the Aladdin game to Steam.

Man, I forgot to mention Disney video games! I played a few, though most of them were on the SNES. Mickey's Magical Quest, The Lion King, Aladdin, Toy Story, and Epic Mickey 2. I liked the first two in this list the best, though those older Disney games were HARD. I never beat any of them. In fact, I never got very far in them either. Oh, and if it counts, I play Disney Magic Kingdoms now, a game on the Google Play Store.

A bit of trivia about me and Disney: Goofy is my favorite character ever from them, but even before that I had history with him! He was the one I got my photo taken with when I was 3 at Disneyland. Complete coincidence because I have very vague memories of that trip and the Goofy photo isn't one I remember at all. I've only seen the photo in question. But this is awesome. lol

Edited by Anacybele

I love doing lists like these. Though there are several Disney movies I haven't seen in a very long time, my memory is surprisingly good on that front. That's how great Disney is. You never forget the classics, old and new. Hopefully I remember enough to fill all these categories. Games will be easy.

Animated Movie: It's still a tie between Wreck-It Ralph and Treasure Planet

Movie about animals:  Zootopia. I wanna put Winnie the Pooh (2011), but I haven't actually seen it yet.

Live Action Movie: Having a hard time remembering them all. For now, I'll go with Flubber.

Pixar Movie: The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., A Bug's Life

Pixar Short: Geri's Game

Trilogy/Duology: A Goofy Movie/An Extremely Goofy Movie

Sequel: Aladdin and the King of Thieves, An Extremely Goofy Movie

TV Series: Recess, Darkwing Duck, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (that was my childhood. You have no idea. I had like 20 volumes on VHS, of almost every episode of the show)

Character: Jim Hawkins (Treasure Planet, I can relate to having trouble forging a future for yourself), Wreck-It Ralph

Princess: Vanellope Von Schweetz

Prince: Philip (Sleeping Beauty)

Sidekick character: Morph (Treasure Planet)

Villain: Frollo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame), Syndrome (The Incredibles), The Gammas (An Extremely Goofy Movie)

Anti-hero: John Silver (Treasure Planet)

Songs: The Bells of Notre Dame, The Wreck-It Ralph Song (yes, it has its own song), When You Wish Upon A Star (@Anacybele I was surprised you mentioned the Disneyland Sing-Along Songs version of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. That was my favorite version of the song too. I also had several of the Disney Sing-Along Songs on VHS, almost as many as Winnie the Pooh '^_^)

Disney Park Attraction: I've only been to Disneyland 3or 4 times in my entire life. From what I've experienced, I enjoyed Space Mountain the most.

Disney Video Game: Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC) {honorable mention goes to Mickey's 123's (DOS) and Aladdin Activity Center (Windows 3.1/95, not sure which it was technically for) which made my gaming childhood that much funner}, Darkwing Duck (NES)

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Man, I forgot to mention Disney video games! I played a few, though most of them were on the SNES. Mickey's Magical Quest, The Lion King, Aladdin, Toy Story, and Epic Mickey 2. I liked the first two in this list the best, though those older Disney games were HARD. I never beat any of them. In fact, I never got very far in them either. Oh, and if it counts, I play Disney Magic Kingdoms now, a game on the Google Play Store.

A bit of trivia about me and Disney: Goofy is my favorite character ever from them, but even before that I had history with him! He was the one I got my photo taken with when I was 3 at Disneyland. Complete coincidence because I have very vague memories of that trip and the Goofy photo isn't one I remember at all. I've only seen the photo in question. But this is awesome. lol

If you can, you should try out Ducktales Remastered. Its fun for what it is.

I did play some of them. Darkwing Duck is an ok Mega Man rip off, Lion King is alright, Ducktales as mentioned is good but Aladdin is really great. 

There's like a whole bunch of good disney games here.

I feel a bit odd that Capcom decides to port the The Disney Afternoon Collection versions games to all but Switch/3DS.....gotta love business logic here.

I have a fondness for the "ye olde" animated Disney films, like Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White and Alice in Wonderland. I love these films mostly for their style and for the absolute brilliance of the animation, not so much for the stories or the characters. 

I am not a huge Disney fan since, after the Disney Renaissance in the early nineties, they've really lost their touch. Their newer movies, like Frozen and Zootopia, became too self-aware and their movies lack that "je ne sais quoi" that their older films had. 

One of my favorite movies of all time is Beauty and the Beast because it is probably the best animated musical ever conceived. I like it purely as a work of art and not as a "Disney flick." It was Howard Ashman's masterpiece, and Disney hasn't been able to top that film since, in my opinion. It is almost a perfect film.

Tangent rant:

I am so ashamed of myself for anticipating the live action version of BatB. That movie was complete schlock and pretty much spat on everything the original movie stood for. It only made over a billion dollars because it rode on the positive reputation the original had. Emma Watson should just quit acting; she singlehandedly ruined the entire film.

The point is, I no longer appreciate Disney because they seem to lack the artistry they once had. They are beginning to turn to a questionable form of movie-making, which include the "remastering" of their older films into live action schlock. Disney is pretty much cannibalizing all of their classic movies, which made them the colossal film juggernaut that they are today, and I don't think that's a healthy business practice. Though movie making is a business, it's still a creative business, and Disney is too focused on making money rather than making new films that tell wonderful, engaging stories. You can make good, original films that still make a ton of money. I am tired of seeing these endless franchise movies universes (MCU, Star Wars and now the live action adaptations) which are essentially big-budget TV shows. 

Edited by Leif

4 minutes ago, Leif said:

I have a fondness for the "ye olde" animated Disney films, like Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White and Alice in Wonderland. I love these films mostly for their style and for the absolute brilliance of the animation, not so much for the stories or the characters. 

I am not a huge Disney fan since, after the Disney Renaissance in the early nineties, they've really lost their touch. Their newer movies, like Frozen and Zootopia, become too self-aware and their movies lack that "je ne sais quoi" that their older films had. 

One of my favorite movies of all time is Beauty and the Beast because it is probably the best animated musical ever conceived. I like it purely as a work of art and not as a "Disney flick." It was Howard Ashman's masterpiece, and Disney hasn't been able to top that film since, in my opinion. It is almost a perfect film.

Tangent rant:

I am so ashamed of myself for anticipating the live action version of BatB. That movie was complete schlock and pretty much spat on everything the original movie stood for. It only made over a billion dollars because it rode on the positive reputation the original had. Emma Watson should just quit acting; she singlehandedly ruined the entire film.

The point is, I no longer appreciate Disney because they seem to lack the artistry they once had. They are beginning to turn to a questionable form of movie-making, which include the "remastering" of their older films into live action schlock. Disney is pretty much cannibalizing all of their classic movies, which made them the colossal film juggernaut that they are today, and I don't think that's a healthy business practice. Though movie making is a business, it's still a creative business, and Disney is too focused on making money rather than making creative films that tell wonderful, engaging stories. You can make good original films that still make a ton of money. I am tired of seeing these endless franchise movies universes (MCU, Star Wars and now the live action adaptations) which are essentially big-budget TV shows. 

I agree. Disney Films these days are pretty difficult to accept simply because they lack the depth that they used to have like you said, Beauty and the Beast. 

The main problem that I have with the disney movies as of now is that they have too much of running gags and slapstick jokes that just can't work so well for movies like Zootopia or Chicken little when drama is what is being played.

On the other hand, the Pixar collaborations do Disney movies perfectly. I mean, All the Toy Story movies are amazing and Toy Story is my favorite with how deep the trilogy is and has just the right amount of humor as well and not overly exaggerated.

And yes, Disney is pure evil as a corp and as such, I've ignored them completely and least bothered if they somehow recovered their image. At this point I'm a bit of a hypocrite with Disney simply because they are one of the potential buyers for Nintendo and frankly, I hate the idea of Disney buying Nintendo.

Ah, Disney, it brings me back.

Nowadays I'm not really that invested with it as back when I was kid. I watch what movies happen to be on TV, and play Kingdom Hearts. I watched Frozen when it was in theaters, but I don't even remember what Disney movie I watched in a theater before that. But I remember back as a kid I had quite a few movies in VHS, DVD, and books. Even went to Disneyland about four times, and once was for the 50th anniversary of the park.

As far as my most favorite movie goes, it has to be The Aristocats. Mostly for my cat bias, but I so like that movie. As for songs, I'd say... I'm Still Here from Treasure Planet. Spanish dub, haven't heard the song in English, actually. Well, you know, I mostly watch all this stuff in Spanish, being my native language and all that. I did had some English stuff back then, but not anymore.

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

At this point I'm a bit of a hypocrite with Disney simply because they are one of the potential buyers for Nintendo and frankly, I hate the idea of Disney buying Nintendo.  

What? Where did you heard that?

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What? Where did you heard that?

The CEO of Disney kept teasing that they wanted to buy Nintendo time and time again...

“Hopefully, the day Mario meets Mickey Mouse is not that far away,” Disney Interactive vice president of production John Vignocchi said in an interview.

John Blackburn, Disney Interactive’s Avalanche Software vice president and general manager, joked that the dream team will happen whenever Disney CEO Bob Iger “buys Nintendo.”

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

The CEO of Disney kept teasing that they wanted to buy Nintendo time and time again...

“Hopefully, the day Mario meets Mickey Mouse is not that far away,” Disney Interactive vice president of production John Vignocchi said in an interview.

John Blackburn, Disney Interactive’s Avalanche Software vice president and general manager, joked that the dream team will happen whenever Disney CEO Bob Iger “buys Nintendo.”

Nintendo has so much money that they could lose money for years and still be fine, that I doubt they'd ever consider selling to anybody.

If Disney buys Nintendo:

1. We may or may not be doomed

2. I'm eating pickles for the rest of my life (because I'm salty)

3. I'm bungee jumping off a cliff

Disney is good at making movies, their TV shows are kind of nyeh but their video games are just.....

blech

Except for one game series that is actually pretty awesome, which is of course Kingdom Hearts.

16 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Except for one game series that is actually pretty awesome, which is of course Kingdom Hearts.

Isn't that mostly because they teamed up with Squenix?

8 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

TV Series: Recess, Darkwing Duck, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (that was my childhood. You have no idea. I had like 20 volumes on VHS, of almost every episode of the show)

I forgot about that, but me and my sister used to watch the Winnie the Pooh cartoon series all the time.  Whenever we rented movies, we'd always pick up one of those as well.  I've actually been looking for them on DVD for my kids, but have not been able to find it.  One would think it would be easier to find.