The Disney Thread

Anacybele

14 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Isn't that mostly because they teamed up with Squenix?

In effect, one can say "Unless Disney works in tandem with another amazing company their games are gonna stink"

Epic mickey for the Wii was pretty okay though

Disney universe was awful

I still have nightmares

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

The CEO of Disney kept teasing that they wanted to buy Nintendo time and time again...

“Hopefully, the day Mario meets Mickey Mouse is not that far away,” Disney Interactive vice president of production John Vignocchi said in an interview.

John Blackburn, Disney Interactive’s Avalanche Software vice president and general manager, joked that the dream team will happen whenever Disney CEO Bob Iger “buys Nintendo.”

Yeah... that's unlikely.

Nintendo is more likely to find something else to sell, if video games stop being profitable for them. As on their own it's unlikely they'd be bought. Nintendo has existed since 1889, so video games aren't even their first business (article has one likely questionable image, but the rest should be SFW to read). So if that were to happen again, like with their card business, there's still the chance they may find something big to sell, again. So the idea of them being bought... well, the chances don't look like they will even rise in the forseeable future. Not unless another "Crash of '83" happens again... but that too is unlikely.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Isn't that mostly because they teamed up with Squenix?

2 hours ago, Arcanite said:

In effect, one can say "Unless Disney works in tandem with another amazing company their games are gonna stink"

Well, to be fair, Disney's involvement of development is minimal. From what I remember, Kingdom Hearts works like this:

Disney lends their property for Square-Enix to use, who are mainly the developers. Actual ownership of the series and anything created for it is Disney's. Likely to not be exactly as I described, but it should be mostly right.

3 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Nintendo has so much money that they could lose money for years and still be fine, that I doubt they'd ever consider selling to anybody.

True to that. But even so, there is a chance that it might happen if Disney really thinks Nintendo is worth buying. I mean, this is DISNEY we're talking about who is FAR richer than Nintendo.

Again, unlikely to happen but the posts of it being a possibility could be a problem...

damn....thinking about this, I just visioned Fire Emblem characters doing a sing along for each and every scene.....:P

9 minutes ago, Harvey said:

True to that. But even so, there is a chance that it might happen if Disney really thinks Nintendo is worth buying. I mean, this is DISNEY we're talking about who is FAR richer than Nintendo.

Again, unlikely to happen but the posts of it being a possibility could be a problem...

damn....thinking about this, I just visioned Fire Emblem characters doing a sing along for each and every scene.....:P

You overworry. Even if Disney wanted, that doesn't mean Nintendo won't say no.

...Honestly, as much as I would love for Disney to make a princess movie about Elincia with Ike as the "prince" :3 I don't think they should ever buy Nintendo. Them buying Marvel was fine because Marvel is another movie-making business. Nintendo is video games which Disney...doesn't do. Disney definitely knows how to do movies about princesses who get with commoners (Aladdin has this, and so does Tangled, and then The Princess and the Frog does the reverse and has a prince get with a commoner girl), so I'd fully trust them to handle an Ike x Elincia version. (and it's not simply because I ship the two, I feel like Disney would pick them because they're the obvious choice since they're the main characters and all. Easiest to work with. I also think Elincia is the most Disney-like of all the FE princesses. And wouldn't Ike becoming a Disney prince be amusingly ironic? XD)

That said, one day I actually would love to see Mario and Mickey in the same game. So if Disney could do a collaboration with Nintendo to make a game and/or movie where the two crossover, I'm all for that!

Edited by Anacybele

I will bite.

Animated Movie: Great Mouse Detective, Aladdin, Treasure Planet, and The Black Cauldron 

Disney Princess Movie: Tangled, as it has no competition.

Movie about animals: Zootopia

Pixar Movie: Tough call. 

Character: Tough call. 

Princess: I guess Rapunzel

Prince: Are there princes?!

Sidekick character: Fox McCloud Nick

Animal character: None.

Villain: Hades was great.

Songs: "Out There", "A Whole New World" and "Make a Man Out of You." I have a soft spot for "Part of Their World" I'm mostly neutral about the rest, maybe there's other one but I grew up hearing them in Spanish so I may not know any better.

Disney Park Attraction: Can't say, I don't remember Disneyland.

Of course there are Disney princes, they tend to come with the princesses. It's only in more recent times that they've actually been given real personalities and even names though. Phillip from Sleeping Beauty was the first to get a real name, then we got guys like Hercules, Beast/Adam, you could probably count John Smith in Pocahontas, Naveen, Flynn Rider, Kristoff, etc.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Of course there are Disney princes, they tend to come with the princesses. It's only in more recent times that they've actually been given real personalities and even names though. Phillip from Sleeping Beauty was the first to get a real name, then we got guys like Hercules, Beast/Adam, you could probably count John Smith in Pocahontas, Naveen, Flynn Rider, Kristoff, etc.

Actually, you know the prince who kisses Snow White at the end of the movie? Apparently his name is Florian. And this was Disney's first full-length movie. But while he came first, Florian had very little screen time and thus no personality. Philip was a good step forward.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

11 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Actually, you know the prince who kisses Snow White at the end of the movie? Apparently his name is Florian. And this was Disney's first full-length movie. But while he came first, Florian had very little screen time and thus no personality. Philip was a good step forward.

I heard about that, but apparently it's not actually the Snow White prince's official name. I heard they said themselves that he has no official name and that Florian was someone else's idea.

Also, I really meant named in the movie. This prince was not named in the movie and Phillip was. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Funny this should come up now. Today is actually my first day back home after a short vacation at Disney's Old Key West resort in Orlando. I have to say, most of my fondest Disney memories are tied to places and not movies. However, if I had to list a favorite Disney movie, it would have to be Mary Poppins. This movie is so near and dear to me, that, well, there's only one word to express how much I like it (and I'm sure we all already know what that is). I also really liked the (to borrow a videogame word) gaiden to Mary Poppins, an excellent, thought-provoking film called Saving Mr. Banks.

On 5/7/2017 at 0:30 AM, L9999 said:

Prince: Are there princes?!

Obviously. To just name a few, Aladdin, Eric, Eugene(Originally a thief but since he weds Rapunzel, he becomes a prince) etc...

However despite the obvious fact that Disney may never buy Nintendo, I'm still hypocritical about them. I mean, they bought the rights of stories that no one can adapt them into atleast according to what my brother said.

Then there's also the problem of how horrible of treatment Disney provides to their employees and what not..something that even Nintendo wouldn't think of.

On 5/6/2017 at 11:42 PM, Anacybele said:

Nintendo is video games which Disney...doesn't do

Disney does makes games. Like where's my water? or Club Penguin for example. Its just that they only focus on mobile instead of dedicated gaming systems.

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Disney does makes games. Like where's my water? or Club Penguin for example. Its just that they only focus on mobile instead of dedicated gaming systems.

Disney themselves don't actually make the games, they collaborate with other companies that make them. And even so, they still don't have as much experience and knowledge on them as Nintendo does.

• 1 month later...

Well, saw Beauty and the Beast, and oh my word it's got so much fluff. The new "arcs" for Belle and Beast, the whole Enchantress thing, Le Fou, the new "extras" and especially the extended siege scene (that, I'd consider actually bad). And the problem is that the fluff is pretty useless in practice, and essentially there to give more time and to allow it to gain some distance from the animated film. 

The acting, the props, the use of CG, the design and the new songs (and even the performances of the original songs) are not all that good, in comparison to a movie I don't even admire all that much. Overall, I consider it a lesser, unnecessary film.

So still better than Maleficent.

The new Beauty and the Beast was OK, but unnecessary. It was the same story but with a few changes, and I think the original animated version was still better. I preferred Maleficent for re-telling the original story, though I can't say I particularly enjoyed the fact that they turned one of Disney's most dramatic and neat villains into a good guy.

5 minutes ago, unique said:

i thought it was pretty good

Thing is, while I am a bit disparaging here, I still think it's a pretty decent work. Luke Evans and Kevin Klein (which might be because Klein's reaction to Chip was the most real thing in the entire film. I know how stupid that sounds) in particular work well (The cast as a whole isn't all that bad either), there's a lot to be said for the scale of the work and trying to cover up the fact that much of it is a set as well as some of the questionable timeline stuff from the animated work (though I don't think they succeed all the time) and quite a few criticisms can be held against both versions, it's not like they made the film massively worse.

I think it's more because I had the people I was watching it with going on about it being very good and better than the animated version, which I can't stand by imo,