How Would You Tweak Awakening?

Awakening might have been the financial hit the franchise needed, but in ways it was definitively flawed, like every FE. How exactly would you fix or alter it?

I know I'm going to get a hundred repeats of "better map design/Valm Arc removal/make pair up better/character fixes" but I'm still interested in see the minutiae of what people have to say. And while I said "tweaks" I'm expecting people are regardless going to include more major overhauls as well.

For myself, I feel the kids need more relevance. But the problem with that is that all kids bar Lucina have variable hair color, so they can't show up before their fathers have been picked out. Plus, some people like having forever to prepare for the kids (something I cannot wholly reconcile with my solution). If we got rid of variable hair color we could fix things. Alternatively, we'd rewrite the plot to have a "soft" deadline for every kid, and a "hard" deadline for them. By that, I mean if you had Lissa married by Chapter 15, Owain would appear in Chapter 15 with a little blurb to tie him into the action once the battle starts and be recruitable. If Lissa wasn't married by Chapter 15, he wouldn't appear (some NPCs or something might replace him). However, you'd still have a chance at Owain, as somewhere further down the plot, all the ladies would be forced to marry (Chrom- "Okay everyone, if you have anything you need to do, do it now before we begin our final campaign!"). After this forced marriage point, all the kids you didn't recruit earlier would appear during some battle prepromoted and be recruitable. Forced marriages would operate according to ladies' support ranks with the men, followed by a priority system in case two men share the same support level with a woman/two women share the same support level with a man, and lastly marriage to a generic "gentleman" (a male Maiden) if the player runs out of men/the woman died.

Also, give Anna and Say'ri kids. I was thinking Thief girl named Annette for Anna, and a Barbarian boy for Say'ri.

Playable grown Xane, or at least a cameo appearance.

Dragonstones and Beaststones need more variety. I was thinking a Magestone (uses Magic and targets enemy Resistance), a weak Longstone (1-3 range), and a Tankstone (Aegis and Pavise built into it, gives big Defense and Resistance boosts but little for Strength) for Manaketes. And a Killerstone and a Bravestone for Taguels.

+10 Critical and avoid bonuses for Swordmasters and Taguels; the return of Wind Edges. Berserkers and Snipers of course would get critical boosts too.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nerfed pair-up

More map objectives than just rout and kill boss

nerf the tactician ability that give 50% more exp.

Design some actual difficult/challange into the lunatic modes instead of just buffing their stats and giving them broken abilities. i.e. different enemies and different enemy placements would have been neat.

Remove pair up, or at least nerf it.

Change plot from time travelling to a timeskip, having Chrom actually die and Robin get possessed and make Lucina a full blown lord for the second half of the game.  Basically, make the plot more like 4's than it already is.  Include substitute kids for the same reason as in FE4.

Vary map objectives.  The chapter where Lucina's mask gets destroyed and the Gaiden where you recruit Tiki could easily be Defend Chapters, for instance.

Redesign a bunch of maps, like the one where you first fight Walhart, or again, Tiki's map.

Why the hell is a Volcano near the center of Valm called Duma's Remains?  Duma was beaten in Northern Rigel iirc.  

On the topic of Duma's Remains, Yen'fey makes no goddamn sense.  He wants to protect his sister... so he tries... to... kill... her...?  What?

You know what maybe just oust Valm arc entirely for being completely pointless.

Get rid of Veteran.

Robin worship needs to go, and Robin made into an actual character rather than a bland attempt at a self insert.  

Change Sully, Tharja, and Kjelle's characters, drastically.  I don't know precisely what to do with them, but definitely not what we have.

Make Henry's custom outfit the standard for Dark Mages, it's way more appealing to look at than the spandex the standard design has.  On the subject of costumes, change the toilet bowl cavs and goofy armorknights.  And give Nowi more clothing.

Move Olivia's recruitment from Chapter 11 to Chapter 10, at least, so that you can get her whole chain with Chrom in one run with a few skirmishes.

Expand on Grima.  Considering only FE13 Grima is bland as all get out.

Make Owain a main character.

Xane

Give Spotpass dudes supports.

Defense is really the only objective that would need to be added since seize is pretty much just defeat the commander plus one turn if you used the lord to defeat the boss.

I prefer constant characters to avatars, but I didn't find the "worship" to be that prevalent. Maybe simplify it to a choice of which Robin to take with you: Male or Female with an option to take both if you beat it with both (maybe tone them down if you take both so you don't destroy the game with both of them and two Morgans).

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Why the hell is a Volcano near the center of Valm called Duma's Remains?  Duma was beaten in Northern Rigel iirc.  

Expand on Grima.  Considering only FE13 Grima is bland as all get out.

Well, that would actually be a good change that the localization team did since they removed any reference to Duma.

Grima may not have much backstory (yet) but it isn't that bland. Besides, the big bads in FE are not exactly known for being the best in the world. I mean, they didin't even have names in 7 and I honestly can't tell you the name of the demon thing in 8.

Edited by Arthur97

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, give Anna and Say'ri kids. I was thinking Thief girl named Annette for Anna

She would be called Anna, like all Anna's before her.

Anyway, all I'd want is a better menu interface, because it's a chore to navigate sometimes.

Just to make it simple:

-Replace its pair up system with fates' nerfed version

-Give it Fates' exp gain system instead. Being able to snowball everything is mostly what makes awakening so broken.

-Either remove or heavily nerf veteran and nosferatu.

-More map objectives and better designed maps.

-Make a better designed Lunatic mode, with focus on things other than raw stats.

So yeah, as you can see, i think Conquest pretty much fixed every gameplay issue awakening had.

Edited by Nobody

pair up system needed some tweeking.

child units shouldn't outclass parent units in every way i.e. make it so that the parent also gains the modifications to their max stats and growth rates based on their wife/husband so that you not only customising your child unit but there is also some customising to the parent units as well.

story needs better presentation - good overall concept but should have been more surprising or more of a twist that when lucina came to the past future robin followed her and changed certain events that conflicts with lucina's recollection, should have built up more that future robin is the main villain as opposed to what it by leaving no alternative theory. Also should add a bit more sophistication to to Grima and how to beat him, i.e. future robin succumbed to its power and embraced and when he traveled to the past with lucina Grima's power was divided between the two Robins as it saw them both as equal vessals, thus causing Robin's amnesia from the shock of the transference of power. From poast Robin's experience he should have deduced that he could be capable of turning Grima's power against its self rather than being told (Robin suggest a quest to obtain a Grima tome that only he would be able to use). evil robin may have deduced this possibility and try to merge or erase original robin in previous battles which would have been a mystery until later in the game. etc

Yeah I'm gonna sound like a broken record when I say fix pair ups a bit. Maybe like Fates where there's Attack Stance and Guard Stance, and removing the stat boosts that came with it.

Also make it so that there are level caps, getting higher as you progress with the game (Starting at like level 6 when you get the ability to grind off of Reeking Boxes, removing the caps after the final chapter and maybe start being able to reclass only after the Gangrel arc)

For starters, things I would fix are instead of the avatarr being locked to an avatar exclusive class you pick your class like in FE12. Another thing would be that while we want Chrom to be a caring noble it doesn't make sense for him to be 100% trusting of you so quickly fix that. In the bandit battle I would put more bandits, a lot more and make the map a little bigger with maybe an alleyway as it's supposed to be a town with multiple houses. I also would have more of the shepherds than just Fredrick perhaps Stahl and Kellam or at least one of those two. 

I also would show some actual war briefings such as the war council that's alluded to that Chrom and Emmeryn have to attend instead of just referring to it, and give the team a merchant character like Merlinus rather than having the convoy "magically" attributed to Chrom. I would include the Arena from the GBA games in some of the maps a good one would have been the sea harbor battle.

Rather than just having always had the Falchion at a certain point Chrom has to pass a trial map to acquire it and it has a lot more importance than "Oh, here's a cool looking sword. By the way you can't kill Grima with it and there's really not point to getting it either besides plot reason." I would have also given Emmeryn more screen time and showed more of her character so that it's more meaningful when she dies.

I would build up the drama of having to face not only the mad king but also really flush out captain Mustave's (I think that was his name) character instead of "Oh here's al likeable Plegian general. Uh, we have to kill him." And I would have built up the suspense of Walhart's generals, meaning Yen fay, Farber, Pheros and flushed out Cerventes' character a little more. In addition I would have had Priam recruitable somewhere during the Valmese Empire arc and I would have had a deadline for when the children characters can be recruited and had some chapters where the story flushes out their need and importance more beyond just Lucina. I also would have had more cutscenes in the game and I had Grima's awakening a longer cutscene than it was, I would have shown Grima in that cutscene perhaps showed him destroying villages rather than just hovering up in the sky doing absolutely nothing.

My suggestions for FE: Awakening:

-This might be controversial to some, but I would like same-sex pairings. FE: Fates gave us same-sex pairings but only one option for each sex, and if you went that route, you couldn't get a recruitable child from it. Personally, I would want to see the game be like Skyrim in that you could have your pick of any NPC and adoption of children. I know that some people would point out that adopted children can't inherit traits from their adoptive parents and it would break the class inheritance system, but consider the fact that Stahl's father and brother both worked in an apothecary (and we hear nothing about his mother, so maybe she is the missing link in all this but let's assume not), and Stahl himself is a knight rather than a class more fitting of someone who comes from an apothecary background. The class inheritance system, and all the rest of the child processes, could still be preserved in this route if we had child adoptions since they would likely be taught in related classes by their parents and some external teachers. Even if adoption is out of the question, what about magically conceiving children? This is a world where people can be stitched back up with the wave of a staff, yet there is no ability to allow two parents to have a child if they are unable to do so naturally? It seems unlikely. I will concede that, perhaps, even if they had the magic for this that the attitudes of the populace may be opposed to it.

-As Interdimensional Observer said in the original post, give Anna and Say'ri children. I would also add Flavia to that list, since she could probably have a really powerful kid.

-Have more supports between characters that could potentially be friends. For example, Stahl only has supports with Kellam, the Avatar, and Donnel among the males. I know this would probably eat up a lot of space so it's a bit lower on the list of priorities.

-Have an option for an androgynous/ambiguous Robin. Again, people might not agree with me on this, but I think this would be pretty cool to have for those of us who would like to be a more ambiguous Robin instead of blatantly male or female (and being referred to as such).

-More types of maps, and more diversity in objectives. Some people in this thread have already stated this, but I think it bears repeating. I think the coolest thing would be if there were maps that were like puzzles (for example, a map in a labyrinth).

Hm. Where to begin…as someone who wants to go into video games as a job one day, I wrote up a big long list of what I like and dislike about both Awakening and Fates, but I'll try to keep it short.

First off, I know a lot of people who hate on Priam because they say he's just Tellius fanservice and how Ike just fights for his friends, he doesn't get married to them, and other such stuff, but I loved Priam's concept - if Lucina's a descendant of Marth, it stands to reason that there would be descendants of other legendary heroes, right? I even wrote up an OC named Aer who is Roy's descendant in a similar vein, though unlike Priam and Lucina she doesn't just have the Binding Blade lying around. I would have loved a bit more story for Priam, particularly considering that he's the only character with no story development in the entire game as the most you get out of him is his Supports, which can only be with the Avatar(and Morgan if you S-Support him). I'd have either given him a couple backstory chapters or a couple post game chapters in the same fashion as Hidden Truths explaining why and to where he "Vanished like a breath on the wind" assuming you didn't wait the entire game so you could…you know, I don't know why you'd wait the entire game for anyone other than Aversa for Male Avatars or Walhart for Female Avatars so Morgan could inherit Shadowgift/Conquest. Speaking of, it always bothered me that Priam didn't have Aether - I mean, it's not like he's supposedly carrying the blood of the Radiant Hero himself and that ought to come with, I don't know, maybe the Skill his ancestor was supposedly the only one to possess? Nope, let's give it to Chrom and Lucina. I also would have loved Priam to be a Vanguard instead of a Hero, but I guess that would have been asking for too much. Pity he isn't in Fates where we could actually make him a Vanguard and give him the Ike's Backup sword and then pair him up with Ike for lols.

In similar fashion, Emmeryn - what the heck happened? She jumped, she 'died', Gangrel apparently put her body on his mantel(clearly this guy should be in charge everywhere), Chrom killed Gangrel, we're never told what happened to Emmeryn's body, then bam, here she is with no memory and no explanation? Not cool. I'd add in at least one Hidden Truths type chapter for Emmeryn to explain this, and I would alter her Class - Cipher gave Chrom an Exalt Class, and I don't see why Emmeryn couldn't have had a similar Class instead of just being a Sage. I would have likely given similar exclusive Classes to Gangrel, Aversa and Yen'fay, and also made Priam a Vanguard - it kind of bugged me that the SpotPass 6 Units all had regular Classes besides Walhart as opposed to their own unique Classes. I'd modify Dark Falcon for Aversa, making it more unique than just regular Dark Flier, then give Yen'Fay a Class named Dynast, similar to Swordmaster but more powerful, give Exalt to Emmeryn, which would be a Sage but hopefully better, and finally give Gangrel his own Class, I can't think of a name right now, but it would be a unique variant of Trickster.

Perhaps my biggest difficulty with all of Awakening was that the children were locked to the female Units, meaning that there were literally only two children who could have sibling conversations in the entire game, namely Morgan and Lucina, not to mention that the sibling conversations were always exactly the same. I would have made some of the children be linked to female Units and some to male Units, allowing for more sibling conversations, and altered the sibling conversations for Lucina and Morgan, hopefully giving the game a bit more depth. Yes, this would have meant that some marriages would have been childless, but is that really a big issue?

I'd keep going but it might get REALLY long if I don't stop myself, so I'll do so here.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:06 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

On the topic of Duma's Remains, Yen'fey makes no goddamn sense.  He wants to protect his sister... so he tries... to... kill... her...?  What?

Say'ri is actually the one who wanted to kill her brother before realizing what he actually did..so kinda the opposite.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:06 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

Vary map objectives.

Awakening has secondary objectives that are decent enough for it to offer more than the actual map objective.

Personally, I like the way its done. Routing the enemy being the main thing while the sidequest being to defend someone to get her as a unit is just a double bonus thing. Not necessarily a bad thing.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Say'ri is actually the one who wanted to kill her brother before realizing what he actually did..so kinda the opposite.

Awakening has secondary objectives that are decent enough for it to offer more than the actual map objective.

Personally, I like the way its done. Routing the enemy being the main thing while the sidequest being to defend someone to get her as a unit is just a double bonus thing. Not necessarily a bad thing.

He tries to kill her when actually doing the map.  IS has had characters programmed to not attack/counterattack X before (Radiant Dawn), so there's really no excuse for it.

And as far as I'm concerned, not really.  Most recruitments in Awakening are super boring, and when the dialogue's stated goal is defending Tiki or Emmeryn and you get a rout chapter instead, there is a problem.

Nerf pair up and Robin.

More chapter objectives.

Make Lon'qu an enemy in Chapter 4 and have someone talk to him to recruit.

The deadline thing is a good idea.

Expand the support pools of Tiki, Say'ri, Anna, Yen'fay, Walmart, Gangrel and Emmeryn.

More recruiting through enemy talking. Awakening/Fates practically hand the units to you.

Xane. And dragonstone variety like New Mystery (Ice, Fire, Wyvern, Mage) and manakete/taguel promotions. Have varying magic (e.g. Fire, Thunder, Blizzard) or just implement the Anima triangle. Why are there separate tomes for each rank? Kinda useless without a reason except preference.

Give Tiki and Anna kids. Tiki should have a son because there are no male manaketes. (Seriously, the proportion of little girls to little boys in FE is imbalanced, just saying.)

Maybe also bring back Bantu and/or Gotoh. Revise geography of both continents. Maybe add in a paralogue set in the Ice Dragon Shrine. Come to think of it, maybe also add degenerated dragons in Ylisse and Draco Zombies in Valm. Expand on character development, not gimmicks. Defend chapters should have a turn limit, not a kill everyone objective. I have a bunch of other stuff to say, let me get back once I remember.

33 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

He tries to kill her when actually doing the map

Assuming what way you think of it..I mean, what do you expect IS to do? Reduce his might when facing against her or make him not attack you back?

35 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

and when the dialogue's stated goal is defending Tiki or Emmeryn and you get a rout chapter instead, there is a problem.

How is that a problem when you get a main objective as well as a side one that rewards you with bonuses?

4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Assuming what way you think of it..I mean, what do you expect IS to do? Reduce his might when facing against her or make him not attack you back?

How is that a problem when you get a main objective as well as a side one that rewards you with bonuses?

The exact same thing they did in Radiant Dawn.  In that game, there are instances where certain characters will never, ever attack or counterattack a certain other character.  For instance, Sanaki will never, ever attack Sephiran, and Sephiran will never, ever attack her.  They're programmed to not attack.  Here's a list of these.

Because the "side" objective is the objective in the story.  There is literally no reason why Emmeryn's map is a rout chapter other than simplicity, when your goal in the story is explicitly protecting her.

46 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The exact same thing they did in Radiant Dawn.  In that game, there are instances where certain characters will never, ever attack or counterattack a certain other character.  For instance, Sanaki will never, ever attack Sephiran, and Sephiran will never, ever attack her.  They're programmed to not attack.  Here's a list of these.

But in that case, it would have even been pointless to even have the chapter since the objective is to slay Yen'fay.

Anyways, he did develop a hate towards her and this is common for most people doing stuff that they didn't mean to in the end. 

48 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Because the "side" objective is the objective in the story.  There is literally no reason why Emmeryn's map is a rout chapter other than simplicity, when your goal in the story is explicitly protecting her.

First off, which chapter are you referring to? Chapter 9 or 6?

If chapter 9, she doesn't appear in that chapter at all so there's no point in that map being defend  at all.

And in chapter 6, that IS a main objective..if not, then one of them atleast as there is instant game over the moment she's dead. The thing is that since the map isn't that much of a threat, its not that noticeable. But its there regardless.

Plus if the chapter was defense, it wouldn't have made any sense story wise because Valdor can bring unlimited supply of reinforcements and what not so you might as well kill him inorder to complete the chapter.

Its kinda like chapter 1 of FE6 where the main objective should have been to just rout the enemy and yet you still have to seize the castle regardless of how many units are still alive...but since you get bonus EXP, its fine for what it is.

5 minutes ago, Harvey said:

But in that case, it would have even been pointless to even have the chapter since the objective is to slay Yen'fay.

Anyways, he did develop a hate towards her and this is common for most people doing stuff that they didn't mean to in the end. 

First off, which chapter are you referring to? Chapter 9 or 6?

If chapter 9, she doesn't appear in that chapter at all so there's no point in that map being defend  at all.

And in chapter 6, that IS a main objective..if not, then one of them atleast as there is instant game over the moment she's dead. The thing is that since the map isn't that much of a threat, its not that noticeable. But its there regardless.

Plus if the chapter was defense, it wouldn't have made any sense story wise because Valdor can bring unlimited supply of reinforcements and what not so you might as well kill him inorder to complete the chapter.

Its kinda like chapter 1 of FE6 where the main objective should have been to just rout the enemy and yet you still have to seize the castle regardless of how many units are still alive...but since you get bonus EXP, its fine for what it is.

Yen'fey could still attack other units, just like Sephiran or Dheginsea in FE10, he'd just be barred from trying to hurt Say'ri specifically.  Why is this so hard for you to understand?

6.  Which is a rout chapter.

Validar wouldn't have infinite reinforcements either, just enough to force Chrom to hold him off for 7 turns or whatever before having to back down.

And I don't like FE6's seize only either.  So no whataboutisms please. 

Most of what is in Awakening is already balanced for Awakening, so I don't see a need for tweaking it too much.

If anything, I don't think I want Awakening to be like Conquest: Conquest is great, no denying that, but there's never the feeling that I actually get stronger, in part because it's extremely hard and there's very little breather chapters in it that you can use to catch your breath and let you mentally prepare for the next challenges that await you.

About the only thing I would do is make Lunatic a bit more like Conquest Lunatic where enemy stats aren't too high, but skill combinations can make for interesting fights.

Yen'fey could still attack other units, just like Sephiran or Dheginsea in FE10, he'd just be barred from trying to hurt Say'ri specifically.  Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Because I really don't see a problem with this since its just typical for the character to act like that since FE has characters like Yen'fey to begin with. And this supposed plot hole really doesn't impact the overall story of Awakening in one way or the other since Awakening's story has other issues in mind.

Which is a rout chapter.

Validar wouldn't have infinite reinforcements either, just enough to force Chrom to hold him off for 7 turns or whatever before having to back down.

Yeah its still rout but there is ALSO another objective to keep in mind here as well which again while not so major because of the map, is still there. Its just that again, the game doesn't have a lot of these other main objectives. 

He may not have infinite reinforcements but he could have since he works with grima who can easily give him loads of risen. 

And I don't like FE6's seize only either.  So no whataboutisms please. 

This isn't about attacking FE6 here. This is to simply prove a point that stuff like this isn't really that much to complain about. 

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Because I really don't see a problem with this since its just typical for the character to act like that since FE has characters like Yen'fey to begin with. And this supposed plot hole really doesn't impact the overall story of Awakening in one way or the other since Awakening's story has other issues in mind.

But IS has already procen that they can make characters not attack specific people for plot reasons.  I see no reason to not include that, since Yen'fey attacking Say'ri makes no sense.

Deflecting it as Matthis syndrome or whatever isn't valid, since in this day and age they can definitely include anti-Matthis AI.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Yeah its still rout but there is ALSO another objective to keep in mind here as well which again while not so major because of the map, is still there. Its just that again, the game doesn't have a lot of these other main objectives. 

He may not have infinite reinforcements but he could have since he works with grima who can easily give him loads of risen. 

And it needs more objectives, because having just rout and boss a la Gaiden is boring.  

The game doesn't need to be as Defense heavy as Thracia or Blazing Blade, but having more objectives is always a good thing, especially for chapters that honestly felt like they should have had a different objective.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

This isn't about attacking FE6 here. This is to simply prove a point that stuff like this isn't really that much to complain about. 

Saying FE6 does something like this too is basically deflecting criticism based on precedent.  Which is fallacious.

Even more than a tweaked pair up system, I'd want a complete removal of ambush spawns. 

Then there are quite a few dialogue and map tweaks needed, for sure. I'm assuming this is a "tweaking" thread and not "if you could remake it", so I'll keep my suggestions relatively limited.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

But IS has already procen that they can make characters not attack specific people for plot reasons.  I see no reason to not include that, since Yen'fey attacking Say'ri makes no sense.

Deflecting it as Matthis syndrome or whatever isn't valid, since in this day and age they can definitely include anti-Matthis AI.

And it needs more objectives, because having just rout and boss a la Gaiden is boring.  

The game doesn't need to be as Defense heavy as Thracia or Blazing Blade, but having more objectives is always a good thing, especially for chapters that honestly felt like they should have had a different objective.

Saying FE6 does something like this too is basically deflecting criticism based on precedent.  Which is fallacious.

I got no issues with whatever feedback you've given. But really...before Tharacia, FE games never had any objective varieties out there so Awakening kinda played it safe in that it was going for the obvious ones that many TRPGs tend to have. But oh well, I digress.

My two cents:

1) More objective types is just fluff. Seriously. There are quite a few missions in Awakening, especially the Paralogues, with smaller secondary objectives that can greatly effect gameplay. Just because Donnel's chapter is "Defeat the Boss" doesn't mean the goal of having Donnel level up isn't important. And I don't think there's a fundamental difference between holding off Validar for X amount of turns instead of just eliminating all of his mooks in the Emmeryn chapter. Even protecting Maribelle in Chapter 5 is an important secondary objective. Most of the game is war and fighting against zombies and kill or be killed situation, so the best defense is really to eliminate your attackers. 

Fire Emblem's whole raison d'être is that deaths are significant and you lose the units forever, so forcing you into offense is a great way to test your ability to preserve your units, because in the harder difficulties the bosses can hit for a lot of damage.

Finally I've played enough games (especially RTS) to know that multiple types of objectives don't necessarily make a campaign any more satisfying. You still win by overpowering your opponent regardless of what you do.

2) People here have a weird tendency to treat SpotPass characters as hard canon. I don't see why they should be considered canon when their very presence directly contradicts the story itself.

3) Yen'fey attacking Say'ri is called gameplay/story segregation. It would be ridiculous if Say'ri could attack Yen'fey without impunity, as there's no reason in the story for her to avoid combat against him, and he has to defend himself, otherwise he's just too easily exploitable.

Edited by Cerberus87