Why is Hard Mode so Hard?

I decided to play fe6, after having no previous knowledge of how to even play Fire Emblem. I finished the game with savestates once, then without savestates, then, I played fe7 on Eliwood normal mod, then Eliwood hard mode. Afterwards, I decided to play fe6 hard mode, I beat the first chapter while having a few problems, having to restart a couple of times, then, I got to chapter 4, having a ton of trouble with chapters 2 and 3, then, I couldn't beat it. I couldn't beat chapter 4. I even used the silver lance with Marcus, I got Lance and Alen to b support and level 4 each, but, I couldn't beat it and gave up. I decided to replay through the game on normal mode, and am having a bit of trouble on chapter 13, but I wanted to continue playing hard mode, any tips on fe6's hard mode earlygame (mainly chapters 4 and 7), also, any good units that I should use? I'm looking forward to chapter 21, as its going to be actual torture.

Generally you'll want to use Marcus quite a bit in the early chapters along with Dieck, they will be your main offensive force, then Rutger will join. 

Alan and Lance will be fairly decent strikers in the early game, Lott can be alright, Lugh hits res. You just need to plan out your assaults, Roy is mildly useful for using the rapier vs early cavaliers but besides that he's not very useful at all. 

Then you'll get characters like Zealot who can help even more, generally look for characters with solid base stats.

After the early game of FE6 HM, it gets much easier seeing as you get people like Miledy, Klein, etc.

Edited by Jedi

I'm myself playing normal mode again...I can't bring myself playing hardmode for various reasons...

Anyways normal mode is already challenging enough to want to make you want to just stick to that. The only way that normal gamers can ever beat the game on hard mode is to DEFINITELY use savestates...I mean it only makes sense to do so considering the fact that casual mode is likely to show up if the game gets remade.

now even though  I'm only playing normal mode, I think these tips that I give can also apply on hard mode as well...

Tips: You might want to steal lockpicks and sell some of them since its one of the ways that can help you make easy money. Of course arena-abuse is still better but that has potential of ruining your overall rank...if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Speaking of which, STEAL Cath's lockpicks pronto! She is such a pain in the ass that even if you talk to her, she'll continue to keep stealing stuff that can definitely help you a WHOLE lot for the first two times she steals the items.

If you need additional EXP, you can also do this little trick here. Have the units you want to train attack her but do so in a way that it avoids killing her. She will not harm you back as she will just tend to use her vulneary when low on health. This way, you can get your baby units grow a bit faster..something that Lillina can easily benefit from. 

Avoid grinding Roy as much as possible and only grind him when he faces weak units or units with low HP. Grinding him steals EXP that your other units need like Lillina, Ogier etc.

And lastly for the love of god, keep using Rutger! Even if you hate him for some reason, benching him would be a stupid thing to do since he's one of the only reliable boss killers out there..and you don't even need for him to max out to lv 20 so you can all the more just promote him ASAP and just let him slice those dumbass bosses out there.

If chapter 4 is giving you trouble, there's one tip I can offer that is a definite yes to do.  

If chad hasn't died yet, Rescue him with Shanna/Thany, and carry him over to the fort directly south of Roy's starting point.  Drop him there with 2 iron swords and 2 vulneraries.  Fly back with shanna.  With chad there, he will not only block about half of th epirate reinforcements,  but he will also distract them for almost the entire chapter.  He gets quite the experience haul as well.  On the fort, he will likely never get hit, and if he does, he heals every turn.  The swords are so Chad never runs out of weapon uses to kill the pirates with. The vulneraries are for when you have to move off the fort to kill the ranged guys. Eventually there will be 5 left to deal with, and they all attack at range. Moving off the fort lowers chad's avoid, so it can't be bad to have some healing.

Employing this tactic grants chad experience and allows you to keep your focus on the nomads and cavalry.  Shanna won't be helping much, so she has time to ferry chad over on turn 1. The only issue with this is that it can be tricky to set up if you didn't manage your items in chapter 3 or buy new ones in chapter 2.  

Marcus is your best friend. He chips the enemies with his sword so the scrubs in your party can get exp. As soon as he can get an axe give it to him, it gives him better kill potential and raises his rank so he can use Halberd in Chapter 4 to kill all the horse dudes and use hammer against knights in Chapter 7. 

If you get a promotion item and got a level 10 unit (like Rutger) promote it. Forget level 20, there is no point in waiting.

When you get Rutger, there are 3 things to do. A) Use Rutger. B) Use Rutger. C) Give the Armorslayer to Rutger. Jokes aside, he is the only unit in the group who is worth a damn so level him as fast as possible, and if you didn't break the armorslayer from Chapter 2 Rutger can kill armor dudes in Chapter 7.

Train Shanna. I may seem counterproductive because she is weak and enemies use axes, but their hit rates suck ass, so Shanna isn't in much danger. Done correctly she is level 10 and promoted by the Western Isles, were you will love her rescue dropping shenanigans (and as Falcoknight she can use swords so she can dodge axe dudes).

RNG abuse like crazy. To do it select a unit and move the cursor up and down like an idiot. It increases hit and crit chances, and in this game hit rates are awful so you lose nothing by doing it.

Forget about Bors and Wade. Take away their weapons and use them as meatshields in Chapter 4.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

The only way that normal gamers can ever beat the game on hard mode is to DEFINITELY use savestates...I mean it only makes sense to do so considering the fact that casual mode is likely to show up if the game gets remade.

What about RNG abusing? I'm currently playing FE6 HM on my cellphone and the emulator doesn't have savestate feature, so by trial and error (and some dondon&mekkah) I learned to RNG abuse. 

Edited by L9999

10 minutes ago, L9999 said:

What about RNG abusing? I'm currently playing FE6 HM on my cellphone and the emulator doesn't have savestate feature, so by trial and error (and some dondon&mekkah) I learned to RNG abuse. 

uhh...get a better emulator?

11 minutes ago, Harvey said:

uhh...get a better emulator?

Those cost money/space. Playing without save states raises the stakes and it feels much more satisfying to beat the chapters. 

Edited by L9999

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Avoid grinding Roy as much as possible and only grind him when he faces weak units or units with low HP. Grinding him steals EXP that your other units need like Lillina, Ogier etc.

I wouldn't recommend using Lilina or Ogier on HM unless you like them, they are rather difficult to get going enough as is. 

Although @Lord Raven did show how hilarious RNG abused Lilina with Bolting can be.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I wouldn't recommend using Lilina or Ogier on HM unless you like them

Ok..I can understand not recommending Ogier because Dieck is obviously better...but why avoiding Lillina is recommended?

Edited by Harvey

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Ok..I can understand not recommending Ogier because Dieck is obviously better...but why avoiding Lillina is recommended?

her speed is mediocre and her base stats suck, she joins as a level 1 unit with marginally better stats than Wolt going into chapter 8x

magic users kinda blow in this game overall aside from like Niime and Saul

Magic is good in this game because it's accuracte.

Lilina is okay in HM if you go for Ilia. Her low level is only a temprorary problem what can be fixed in 8x.

Oujey, on the other hand, is just another sword user in the wrong class. If he was a myrm, then he'd be way more useful in the longrun at least because of the crit boost.

31 minutes ago, Alisa Reinford said:

Lilina is okay in HM if you go for Ilia

And she's screwed in Sacae?

I still don't get why Lillina should be avoided in HM considering the fact that she has the highest magic in the game and she gives support bonuses to not only Roy but to those other characters that need it as well. Plus she makes an excellent healer too.

10 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I still don't get why Lillina should be avoided in HM considering the fact that she has the highest magic in the game and she gives support bonuses to not only Roy but to those other characters that need it as well. Plus she makes an excellent healer too.

I haven't played HM, but I'd guess it's because she's so damn. All she have is Mag (and Luck). Everything else have big chance of being badly screwed.

I guess she's considered too much effort to train.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

Idk the enemy stats in NM, but in HM all the myrms and nomads double her unless her speed is by far above average.

1 hour ago, Alisa Reinford said:

Idk the enemy stats in NM, but in HM all the myrms and nomads double her unless her speed is by far above average.

You're being kinda unfair to a unit who has low defense to begin with as she isn't meant to be in the front line when facing those types of units.

Still like I said, even if she's screwed in HM, the best she can still come to is at the very least being a good healer.

The characters Lilina supports are either bad (Ostian Armor Knights, Ogier) , don't need supports to do their job (Cecilia/Astol) , or will be on a different part of the map to her (Roy, Gonzalez). She gets perpetually 2HKO'd (OHKO'd by some stronger enemy types) and only doubles slower enemies. You get plenty of good healers as it is. Lilina's actual niches are hitting some troublesome enemies (usually promoted) really hard with a nice accurate Aircalibur or whatever, and Bolting chipping. These are nice but they're not all that useful relative to the amount of effort you have to put into raising her.

On Hard Mode you should be focusing on the strongest units and keep training them so they stay ahead of the enemy stat curve and get stronger and stronger. Slowing down to train a weaker unit with not a particularly good payoff (note that at least it's better than many other bad units like Ogier) just makes the game harder, so if a player is struggling, they definitely shouldn't be trying to use units like Lilina.

To the OP, in C4 try to have Marcus move forward very aggressively to fight enemy units far out with the Silver Lance, then have him move into range of the nexts group and then lure the enemies he just fought further back with well placed other units who can hit decently hard like Dieck, Lugh and Roy with the Rapier. That should let you combo them down more easily, whilst Marcus is basically solo fighting in the middle of the map and chugging vulneraries.

Edited by Irysa

1 hour ago, Irysa said:

On Hard Mode you should be focusing on the strongest units and keep training them so they stay ahead of the enemy stat curve and get stronger and stronger. Slowing down to train a weaker unit with not a particularly good payoff (note that at least it's better than many other bad units like Ogier) just makes the game harder, so if a player is struggling, they definitely shouldn't be trying to use units like Lilina.

Except the problem is that Lillina is still a reliable boss killer regardless of how fragile she is. Its fairly easy to grind her during the first chapter she's recruited and the gaiden chapter as well. Sure, there may be other units better than her in the long run but she will still do good. Plus she gets support bonuses which can make her a threat.

Lilina is not a reliable boss killer lol.

Anima makes her acceptably accurate against mooks but against the bosses in this game with the insane throne bonuses, she consistently has sub 50 hit rates because her skill is terrible.

Edited by Irysa

not to mention that thrones give +5 res

look, man, lilina is bad. bad at fighting (no bulk and problems doubling), bad at healing (will basically never get above heal), not exceptional at moving.

when playing on hard mode you want to use units that actually make the game easier, not harder

Edited by dondon151

2 hours ago, dondon151 said:

when playing on hard mode you want to use units that actually make the game easier, not harder

And this is pointless now since Percival HM can pretty much solo the rest of the game till final boss.

Anyways, I realize that I forgot that people don't want to put effort on her that much so I'll skip it. She's still worth the investment atleast on normal mode though.

22 hours ago, Harvey said:

You're being kinda unfair to a unit who has low defense to begin with as she isn't meant to be in the front line when facing those types of units.

In Sacae you have to fight tons of nomads there who have 2 range attack. They'll all double and oneround her.