Sorry if there's an obvious answer to this elsewhere. I looked it up to the best of my (admittedly limited) ability and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Can characters use skills for weapons their class doesn't have access to?

For example, let's say I have Faye use an iron sword until she gets the windswept skill as a villager, then promote her into a cleric. Or have Atlas use Astra until he gets the astral blow skill, then promote him into an archer. Will they have access to the skills they learned as villagers, even if they promote into classes that don't use swords?

Weapon skills can only be used if the character has the corresponding weapon equipped. Eg. Solar Impact can only be used when Sol is equipped.

Some weapons share skills though, like the Regal Sword and Falchion both unlocking Alm's ultimate skill.

Also if you change weapons, learned skills that can't be used remain in the character's status screen but are greyed out.

Edited by VincentASM

22 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

How do skills work? do you learn skills when you use the equipped weapon enough times or do skills only work when you have the corresponding weapon equipped

Both. You have to use the weapon enough to actually get the skill, then keep said weapon equipped (or another item that has the same skill) to actually use the skill.

For example, let's give Catria the special Javelin Saunion, which has three skills: Swap, Defensive Stance, and Arc Ballista. Catria has to keep using Saunion to unlock all three skills for it, which will take a while.

Swap is also learnt from the Leather Shield, and Defensive Stance can be learnt from the Steel Shield. If Catria equips the corresponding shield, she can use Swap or Defensive Stance depending on the one she's holding, but cannot use Arc Ballista, as it is exclusive to Saunion.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Both. You have to use the weapon enough to actually get the skill, then keep said weapon equipped (or another item that has the same skill) to actually use the skill.

For example, let's give Catria the special Javelin Saunion, which has three skills: Swap, Defensive Stance, and Arc Ballista. Catria has to keep using Saunion to unlock all three skills for it, which will take a while.

Swap is also learnt from the Leather Shield, and Defensive Stance can be learnt from the Steel Shield. If Catria equips the corresponding shield, she can use Swap or Defensive Stance depending on the one she's holding, but cannot use Arc Ballista, as it is exclusive to Saunion.

Sorry I'm a bit confused I need to phase my question a bit better, if I want a character to use 'swap' they have to have the leather shield equipped and can use it immediately but when they have used the leather shield enough does that character become able to use the skill without leather shield or other equipment? Or is it where the character equips the leather shield then when the character uses it enough the character can then use swap but only if they have the leather shield or other equipment with that skill?

2 minutes ago, Raybrand said:

Or is it where the character equips the leather shield then when the character uses it enough the character can then use swap but only if they have the leather shield or other equipment with that skill?

This is correct.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

To clarify, most equipment skills must be learned. At first they will appear as ????? in the character's status screen.

After using the equipment long enough, the skill(s) will be gradually unlocked. After a skill is unlocked, you can use that skill only if the equipment has that skill. If you remove said equipment, it will be greyed out until you re-equip that equipment.

If equipment share skills, you will automatically have some of the skills unlocked. Eg. if you learned Swap from the Leather Shield, when you equip Saunion, you don't need to learn Swap again.

(There are also passive skills like Transmute on the Lightning Sword and Shining Bow that don't need to be learned, but again they do not carry over to other weapons.)

Hope that makes sense.

If I have someone use a weapon until they unlock a skill, then give the weapon to another character, will the second character be able to use the skill?

23 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

If I have someone use a weapon until they unlock a skill, then give the weapon to another character, will the second character be able to use the skill?

No, skills are tied to characters in addition to weapons. You can have one character with a massive pool of skills, etc.