What is your overall opinion of the 8th gen of consoles so far?

BalancedPro

It started in 2011 and is still going strong 6 years later. We've seen several mid upgrades of consoles like the "New" 3DS, PS4 Pro, and xbox Scorpio. The death of some consoles like the Wii U and arguably the PS Vita.  

meh, I think 8th gen really got started in 2013, and overall I really haven't seen that many games that appeal to me, and nothing has really gotten me excited to play a game. TBH DOOM 4 and Person 5 are the only games that I've turned on my PS4 for since it came out.

I haven't had anywhere as much fun as I did with 7th gen, and maybe that's because I started college in 2014, or maybe every online multiplayer game is trying to be an esport rather than an arena style shooter like the old Quake games and Halo 2,3, and, Reach. 

I really miss playing Halo 3,...... SHIT, I just realized that game turns 10 this year

Yeah, I really don't consider the Wii U or 3DS "8th gen", even if they are technically.

It's been solid. I don't think there's been a new, great new franchise this gen yet, though. 3 years into the 360/PS3 lifespan, we had Dead Rising, Mass Effect, Uncharted, and probably a bunch of other cool shit I'm forgetting. Plus a bunch of cash cows like Assassin's Creed came out in that time frame.

That said, gen 7 had pretty bad entries in major franchises near the start, and a very weak Japanese presence. Gen 8's basically the reverse. We're getting pretty good entries to old franchises, and Japanese developers are killing it.

3DS was awesome, but it's pretty much dead now.

PS4 is fantastic. Its 2017 line up has been just great. 

The Wii U had a handful of really great games, which was enough to justify my purchase, but I imagine it was very disappointing for someone if it was their only console.

I literally can't think of a single reason to own a xbox one over a ps4, so yeah, I don't own one.

Really good gen IMO and better than gen 7, but then again, I don't really care about mainstream western games (GTA is the only exception, unless you consider civilization mainstream).

@Slumber

I think Horizon Zero Dawn might count as a successful new franchise and maybe Nioh if Team Ninja decides to continue it

Edited by Nobody

I have enjoyed many great games on my Wii U and 3DS (some through VC and backward compatibility). I am satisfied with the current generation, but also look forward to when I can afford a Switch.

Edited by Zera

11 minutes ago, Nobody said:

3DS was awesome, but it's pretty much dead now.

PS4 is fantastic. Its 2017 line up has been just great. 

The Wii U had a handful of really great games, which was enough to justify my purchase, but I imagine it was very disappointing for someone if it was their only console.

I literally can't think of a single reason to own a xbox one over a ps4, so yeah, I don't own one.

Really good gen IMO and better than gen 7, but then again, I don't care about mainstream western games (GTA is the only exception, unless you consider civilization mainstream).

@Slumber

I think Horizon Zero Dawn might count as a successful new franchise and maybe Nioh if Team Ninja decides to continue it

We'll see when they get sequels. Otherwise, they're just standalones for now.

I just wish this gen didn't have so many mid-console upgrades. Yeah they're not all that better than the OG models, but I feel like I'm not getting the proper experience. The fact that some games only run on the NEW 3DS for example adds to this.

Edited by BalancedPro

Not a big fan of the XBox One since it's reveal, and pre-launch E3. They did a lot to fix it, but there aren't enough games to make me want one. Any game I would want, I can get on Steam or GOG.
PS4 is alright from what I've played at some of my friend's places. I'm not a fan of paying for online, and having games that should have local multiplayer, not have it. Same thing with it's library from the XBox One.
WiiU was the Sega Saturn of this Gen. My sister loves Breath Of The Wild and Bayonetta 2. Most of the games I would go for are either on the 3DS, or being ported over to the Switch.

Long story short: I'm an old man that loves my PC and retro consoles.

It certainly took a long time to get going. At times my late entry annoyed me a little bit but for the longest time I never truly regretted having to wait for the games released on the newer platforms because a lot of them just didn't warrant the high entry price. I couldn't see a killer app. Even now me getting the PS4 was more the result of a coincidence rather than me rushing to the story because I wanted one. 

But 2017 seems to be shaping up to be a really solid year for gaming and I can jump from one fantastic game right into the other in quick succession. 

But there's one thing I find to be downright horrible about the new generation. Couch Co-up or multiplayer seems to have been completely abolished this generation. Nintendo seems to be the only company that reliably releases games you can play on the couch with your friends and I don't get this. Online doesn't replace this feature and it never will be able to fully do so. Even Halo removed splitscreen from their campaign with pretty much finished my waning interest in that series. 

There are much more positive trends as well. The era of the grimdark shooter seems to be over. Now there is much more color and cheerfulness in the games and that's a very welcome thing. 

Japanese gaming is also making a very strong comeback. Last generation a lot of Japanese franchise slipped into a bit of a dark age, most prominently Final Fantasy and Resident evil but both their newest entries were received very well and with Nioh, Nier, Persona and Breath of the Wild, Japanese games are once again dominating the list of games people can get exited about. This is great because if both the eastern and the western developers bring their A game then we will be certain to get more quality games to play.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I turned to PC just before 8th gen when I realised it was far much more affordable. Humble Bundle and steamsales are just too op to even consider most game consoles nowadays (unless there are a couple of games you really want to play and console exclusive like FE and stuff).

Wii U flopped, Xbone was never a real console, and PS3 support was still strong until last year.

PS4's 2017 lineup is pretty amazing, though.

The only 8th Gen console game I've played for any significant amount of time is Smash 4.  3DS is pretty rad, though.

3DS was definitely the best will definitely be playing it for years to come.  I was pleasantly surprised with the Wii U and genuinely enjoyed it while it didn't sell well it had a great 1st Party library along with Bayonetta 2.  I got a PS4 and liked it although if I'm being honest with myself the only reason I got it was to have a console to play FFXV since I couldn't get it on PC and I was moving out on my own and its a damn good media device to have a blu ray and streaming apps all in one.  Sure I picked up the exclusive like Nioh and Uncharted but those were more bonuses than anything else.  Looking forward to FF7 remake if and when it comes out and thats about it...