What Gaiden map are you guys dreading to play in Shadows of Valentia?

Mine has got to be Celica's desert map with the small fortress and that army of archers. That took forever when practically everyone but the pegasus knights were locked to 1-2 movement spaces. I've only ever played up to the end of Chapter 3 though so maybe I haven't seen the worst of it. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Urushihara said:

Mine has got to be Celica's desert map with the small fortress and that army of archers. That took forever when practically everyone but the pegasus knights were locked to 1-2 movement spaces. I've only ever played up to the end of Chapter 3 though so maybe I haven't seen the worst of it. Thoughts?

That map took me 50 turns. 50. I was playing on Hard, and I was playing blind, so maybe I don't have to feel as bad, but it took me 50 turns. Anyone who tried to approach the fort would just get pelted by a billion arrows and die, especially from the Snipers; not even Valbar would survive. Eventually I just gave up on trying to play this thing fast, and just had Leon constantly bait Archers until most of them were dead, and I could have the other people safely go in. Even that took forever, because lol 20 Avoid on every single tile.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Any with a desert

Any with tombstones

Any with swamps

Wide open plains with nothing in the middle

The dungeon maps

All of them?

Insert Celica route map here. I've seen Deserts with 1 movement, Acid with the safe areas laid out in a way were you have to go into the acid if you're a foot soldier and boats; lots and lots of boats. Massive dungeons with no save point sound awful.

14 minutes ago, unique said:

none of the maps in gaiden really bother me 

from all the gameplay i've been looking at. doesn't look too bad

Just that first Celica Desert map tbh. Although, I plan on playing on Hard for my first run so...

joooooooooy

Edited by Emerson

Not looking forward to Celica's desert maps. Then again, all desert maps are shit. Can't think of a single time where i enjoyed a desert map in any FE.

Tbh, from my playtime with Gaiden, most of the maps didn't bother me. Though i stopped playing at that sniperland desert fortress. Not just because it was a desert, but because everything in Gaiden is slow as fuck.

The faster movement of Echoes will at least remove some of the tediousness of some of Gaiden's maps.

Any map with a summoner on it.

Those guys are dreadful, summoning hordes of monsters sometimes faster than you can deal with. Some of those maps in Gaiden for me involved an hour+ of just cutting through waves and waves of rather weak and unthreatening monsters just to get to the summoner.

Yes, the summoned monsters disappear if you defeat their summoner, but easier said than done. Summoners tend to have high magic damage and resistance, so your physical units take a ton of damage from them, but your magic units barely scratch them. So they take a LONG time to defeat.

Not difficult, just very slow going.

1 hour ago, Xaos Steel Wing said:

Any map with a summoner on it.

Those guys are dreadful, summoning hordes of monsters sometimes faster than you can deal with. Some of those maps in Gaiden for me involved an hour+ of just cutting through waves and waves of rather weak and unthreatening monsters just to get to the summoner.

Yes, the summoned monsters disappear if you defeat their summoner, but easier said than done. Summoners tend to have high magic damage and resistance, so your physical units take a ton of damage from them, but your magic units barely scratch them. So they take a LONG time to defeat.

Not difficult, just very slow going.

If it gets too bullshit, since summon numbers are RNG, you can actually use Mila's Turnwheel to reverse the enemy phase, and when the Summoner does his thing it actually rerolls the RNG for how many idiots he brings out.

Probably the one with Wolf and a bunch of archers, aka, the Celica desert map. Other than that, though? I'm probably going to learn how to hate Mogalls. It's bad enough they're fast, but that's not the worst part about them - they can split. Joy.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

14 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

If it gets too bullshit, since summon numbers are RNG, you can actually use Mila's Turnwheel to reverse the enemy phase, and when the Summoner does his thing it actually rerolls the RNG for how many idiots he brings out.

Does Mila's Turnwheel reroll the RNG for character level ups as well?

9 minutes ago, Urushihara said:

Does Mila's Turnwheel reroll the RNG for character level ups as well?

Nope, that it doesn't, apparently. They seem to be fixed when a chapter/battle is loaded, so when you reset the entire chapter growths change, but not if you Turnwheel. Or the Turnwheel just saves the growths, maybe.

Surprised that I'm the first to say that swamp map with the dragon summoner. At least the desert fortress is interesting to assault, the dragons are either trivial or tedious depending on the number summoned.

16 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Surprised that I'm the first to say that swamp map with the dragon summoner. At least the desert fortress is interesting to assault, the dragons are either trivial or tedious depending on the number summoned.

Seconding this.

I do want to say that, in the context of Gaiden/Echoes, most of the maps aren't that bad considering they aren't meant to be long battles due to the nature of this game. I mean, the chapters are laid out like Mario worlds, in how each battle on the map is a level. 

And it makes sense in dungeons. Like, imagine if you find an enemy in the dunegon, and you get transported to Conquest Ch.17. That wouldn't be fun in a dungeon.

Of course, there are some exceptions to Gaiden's maps, such as the desert maps.

Tl;dr, Gaiden/Echoes' bland maps make sense as they aren't meant to be that long.......most of them.