*STORY SPOILERS* Thoughts on the Masked Knight?

Masked Knight Character Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Conrad?

• Yes
    • No
    • In-between
    • I don't care for him at all

I've seen plenty of heated discussions regarding one of the new characters, Faye, and I understand why. However, I noticed there hasn't been as much discussion about the Masked Knight compared to other characters, so I'd thought I'd make a topic where we can discuss opinions on the Masked Knight as a character.

What is your opinion of the Masked Knight? Do you like/love/dislike/hate him as a character, or do you not care about him at all? Why so?

My answer:

While I haven't played the game yet, I have been following the story spoilers, the supports, and base conversations, and from what I've seen of Conrad thus far, he seems rather likable. While Conrad seems rather one-note in the character department with his attachment to Celica, I like how his attachment to her is not a creepy, obsessive crush. Instead, it's the sibling-kind of love. I also appreciate how he has a fleshed out backstory regarding why he cares for Celica. He's quite a sympathetic character considering how he was ridiculed for most of his childhood because of his origins, but Celica was one of the few people that genuinely cared for him.

And then there's his two-face persona that varies depending on whether or not he wears the mask. If he wears the mask, he's cold, serious, and ready for action, but if he doesn't wear his mask, we see his soft-sided and dorky side to him. To me, I think this double-faced persona makes him more charming.

This is just my current opinion of Conrad based on what I've read of him thus far. It might change once I play Shadows of Valentia for myself when it is released outside of Japan next week. 

Edited by Erureido
Again, fixing some typos. Just doing my best to make the OP sound more clear.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Erureido said:

While Conrad seems rather one-note in the character department with his attachment to Celica, I like how his attachment to her is a creepy, obsessive crush. Instead, it's the sibling-kind of love.  

I think you did that wrong.

But I don't know a lot about Conrad yet so I can't say much. I like that he's more of a younger brother to Celica despite him being... 4 years older, I think? I think it's cute.

Just now, KongDude88 said:

I think you did that wrong.

But I don't know a lot about Conrad yet so I can't say much. I like that he's more of a younger brother to Celica despite him being... 4 years older, I think? I think it's cute.

Yeah, that was a typo. I fixed it.

I definitely am not a fan of characters with the obsessive-type of crushes.

I've always been a fan of the few masked characters in Fire Emblem (Sirius, Gerome, etc) and Conrad is no different. I also like that he keeps the mask, even after you find out who he is.

Also, he gets points for being the only Cavalier on Celica's route (unless you make Atlas one).

Conrad's interactions and supports with Celica are kinda funny, and I like how unreliable he is when he takes off the mask, but overall, he feels really unimportant. His earlier involvement seemed to set him up for something really big, but the plot twist was so easy to figure out, and the circumstance behind was reveal was a bit anticlimactic too. Wouldn't put him as the best new character in Echoes.

He wasn't that great of a unit either, so I ended up just forgetting about him.

Oh, here's a fun little piece of trivia about Conrad: did you know, Conrad shares the same spell list as Nomah, being Fire, Excalibur, Arrow, and Recover? In fact, Conrad and Nomah are the only two characters with the same spell list. Since Nomah himself as a unit isn't that great (he's actually among the weakest units in the game), you can potentially use a Villager's Fork to reclass Conrad into Villager and then promote him into the Mage line, and you essentially get a better Nomah.

His spell list isn't the greatest in the world but Excalibur and Arrow are pretty good and powerful spells.

I'm kind of conflicted to be honest.

I like Conrad as a character. His dorkiness threw me for a loop since most masked characters in FE are always dead serious and enigmatic. Also, compared to Faye, he's a lot more likable and inoffensive.

From a story perspective, I feel like he was a tad underused and an unnecessary retcon of Celica's lineage. Then again, I suppose it's no worse than say Michalis being brought from the dead in New Mystery and the addition of Kris.

I'm neutral he's an alright new addition (better than Faye that's for sure) but to me just like Faye he felt just "THERE" outside some convos he's doesn't feel interesting to me and felt more of an unecessary retcon to the original story just to add for Celica and just average he's also pretty average as a unit as well to me.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

His food preferences are also identical to Lukas'.

I think he is mostly aimed at female players just like Faye feels like an addition aimed at guys. Some of his CGs look like they came straight from otome games and some of his interactions with Celica makes me think he's sorta plays the role of pseudo love interest. Hope it doesn't sound creepy but I don't know the better way to explain.

I wish he didn't join so late but I guess it was intentional to create a parallel with Zeke. Is it me or his child version sort of looks like Amuro Ray?

I like Conrad, but I feel like he is out of place. It doesn't explain why Celica gets the throne instead of him. Did he just give it up for her and Alm? Was it just because Celica married Alm? Does Alm getting the throne with Celica mean Rigel technically won the war? Isn't that what Alm stood against the entire game? If Conrad got married, who would be king, Alm or Conrad?

Conrad is an interesting one, having that dual-sided nature depending on if his mask is on or not. Its interesting because he must of had some sort of serious trauma done to him. That being said he's a welcome addition to the cast, helps Celica's route feel more balanced too with the Cavalier

6 minutes ago, arctic.fox0708 said:

I like Conrad, but I feel like he is out of place. It doesn't explain why Celica gets the throne instead of him. Did he just give it up for her and Alm? Was it just because Celica married Alm? Does Alm getting the throne with Celica mean Rigel technically won the war? Isn't that what Alm stood against the entire game? If Conrad got married, who would be king, Alm or Conrad?

Well Alm would certainly get the throne regardless. He's a Zofian war-hero that led the Deliverance to win the war. On top of that he's Rigelian Royalty whose next in line. They're uniting the whole peninsula so its not just a Zofian king thing. More like a political wedding to unite both nations, Alm has his subjects respect for the arts of war and Celica has won the hearts of her people for her stark devotion to Mila etc.

Edited by Tsak

I hate him. This is because he ruined my even number of each class run (There are now 5 cavliers in the game, and making a villager a cavilier will ruin the even number of each class run). I was planning this run for a while, and when I realized that Conrad was a thing, I got pretty mad. Now all I need to know if we are getting another cavalier in the Cipher DLC, because that would make me hate Conrad a lot less.

1 hour ago, Something Witty said:

I hate him. This is because he ruined my even number of each class run (There are now 5 cavliers in the game, and making a villager a cavilier will ruin the even number of each class run). I was planning this run for a while, and when I realized that Conrad was a thing, I got pretty mad. Now all I need to know if we are getting another cavalier in the Cipher DLC, because that would make me hate Conrad a lot less.

Wait, that doesn't make any total sense. You hated Celica's brother because of you wanted to have just a total of 4 (or in even number) Cavaliers in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia or is it for Alm's route? I did heard that he get's recruited in Celica's route (the only default Cavalry unit in Celica's route) and there's still counted a total of 4 cavaliers in Alm's route.

Edited by King Marth 64

9 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

His earlier involvement seemed to set him up for something really big, but the plot twist was so easy to figure out

That's what's been bothering me! I just kept forgetting why the guy even existed at all, and something about his inclusion just felt off and lackluster, as if he was meant to be given more time but it was cut short later in the development cycle.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

That's what's been bothering me! I just kept forgetting why the guy even existed at all, and something about his inclusion just felt off and lackluster, as if he was meant to be given more time but it was cut short later in the development cycle.

Also, his reveal actually did completely nothing. He told Celica his true identity so he could convince her to not throw her life away, but she does it anyway.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Also, his reveal actually did completely nothing. He told Celica his true identity so he could convince her to not throw her life away, but she does it anyway.

It was almost a blessing I didn't understand everything that went on between Celica and Jedah, but I understood enough to roll my eyes.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

It was almost a blessing I didn't understand everything that went on between Celica and Jedah, but I understood enough to roll my eyes.

Yeaaah... Chapter 4 doesn't do Celica any justice. The entire plot thread of Celica sacrificing herself wasn't in Gaiden too iirc, so the monkeys at IS did it again.

He seems to be a fun guy and addition to the game though he doesn't seem to be used as much a lot in the plot.
I am hyped to see a translation of the scene where he 

Spoiler

slaps Celica and joins her after defeating one of the Chapter 4 swamp summoner.

4 hours ago, arctic.fox0708 said:

From what I remember, the cleric we saved in Gaiden in chapter 3 said that the King of Zofia forced Celica's mom to be his queen so I guess it makes sense that she is the rightful heir of the Zofia's throne since Conrad and Celica don't have the same mom.

From what I've seen of him via translated supports and base convos, I like Conrad a lot. He's got a nice design, his characterization is nice, and I like his dynamic with Celica in their supports especially. We'll see how he does as a unit, but to be honest performance as a unit is a distant third when it comes to things I like about characters.

6 hours ago, arctic.fox0708 said:

Conrad's a bastard child, he wouldn't be eligible to inherit the Zofian throne regardless. Alm inherits the throne of Zofia through marriage to a legitimate issue of the King and his legal wife, i.e. Celica. Very fitting for a European-inspired setting, really, given how often a kingdom inheriting a throne via royal marriage happened in European history.

2 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Yeaaah... Chapter 4 doesn't do Celica any justice. The entire plot thread of Celica sacrificing herself wasn't in Gaiden too iirc, so the monkeys at IS did it again.

No, it was, it was just.....you know.....Gaiden. In both Gaiden and Echoes, Jedah lures Celica to Duma Tower by using her concern about Alm against her. In both Gaiden and Echoes, Jedah trapped and intended to sacrifice Celica to Duma.

But in Gaiden, Alm crashes the party before it happens. In Echoes, Jedah actually (temporarily) suceeds in sacrificing Celica to Duma.

Edited by Armagon

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, that doesn't make any total sense. You hated Celica's brother because of you wanted to have just a total of 4 (or in even number) Cavaliers in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia or is it for Alm's route? I did heard that he get's recruited in Celica's route (the only default Cavalry unit in Celica's route) and there's still counted a total of 4 cavaliers in Alm's route.

I was kind of joking around , but I do dislike him because of that (I'm a weird person). I guess it can't be helped. 

8 hours ago, arctic.fox0708 said:

Isn't it because he's a bastard child and he doesn't have a unique brand like Alm and Celica plus Alm inherits the throne through marrying Celica so he's not a true Zofian heir regardless ugh... honestly he should've been some non related guy instead...

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn