Multiplayer wishes

Tsak

What kind of multiplayer features are you guys looking forward to?

I really want some sort of co-op or duel type systems in place. I feel like co-op always could of been something interesting and help broaden the game to new heights. It wouldn't be too hard to implement either. 

Spoiler

Either co-op like one person choose where one of any unit goes/action they prompt after they did their decision the other player pick whichever unit does the same or that dueling arena mode game on the GBA I believe it was at least in SS from memory that would be cool!

31 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Either co-op like one person choose where one of any unit goes/action they prompt after they did their decision the other player pick whichever unit does the same or that dueling arena mode game on the GBA I believe it was at least in SS from memory that would be cool!

Yeah the link arena was pretty fun in fe7/fe8. Lots of memories with friends on that. I think co-op 2 army kind of dealio would be really cool. It would add to endgame content. Possibly really hard stuff to tackle and having someone else in the mix could make it interesting

Edited by Tsak

The multiplayer meta in Fates was honestly very off-putting. Aside from the abuse of mechanics like Copycat, having to min-max and go out of my way to overbuff certain units are two things that I really dislike doing for some reason. If there is any player to player interaction, I hope battling each other isn't the only option.

I would love a PvP mode that improves upon the solid base that Shadow Dragon established.  Fog of War, secondary objectives (conquering the castle), and a turn limit were all sound ideas that were unfortunately absent from Fates, and combined with its luck-based skill system, resulted in a PvP that was...not good, let's say.  The success of PvP in Fire Emblem is going to be largely dependent on the game's mechanics and overall balance, but here's just a short list of things I'd like:

• Fog of War.  Love it or hate it, I feel that it is almost necessary to prevent the game from becoming one big movement-creep, where both players turtle around, waiting for the other to slip up.  Anyone who's played Fates PvP for a while knows how mind-numbing this is.  In SD, FoW allowed units to see within two spaces of the movement route they took, in addition to their current location.  This way FoW is not overly restrictive of movement choices.  I would prefer FoW to be the default choice, and standard for random matchmaking.
  • Secondary Objectives.  SD had capture the castle, where if the match ended without either side being routed, whichever player seized the castle last would be declared the winner.  This idea could be expanded upon.  It could be something as relatively benign as certain maps having treasure chests that house powerful weapons and items.  It would be up to the player to consider the benefits and risks of going for the treasure, as the opponent will no doubt be contemplating going for the same items.
  • Dedicated, balanced Multiplayer maps.  This was the biggest problem with SD's PvP, in that while it did well to have special multiplayer maps, balance was lacking.  One map was far too small, and two others heavily favored Player 1.  That left two decent maps to play on, which is hardly ideal.  Fates just reused campaign maps, which was problematic because they were not designed with PvP in mind, and most of them are pretty awful as a result. 
  • More game modes.  While a rout/seize combination is fine for the purposes of PvP, I'd like a defense mode as well.  It could be set up in two rounds, with each player getting a chance to defend for some number of turns.  The winner would be decided by how well the defenses held, i.e. how many units survived.  If tied, move on to remaining Hp % on surviving units.  If still tied or if both players failed to defend their castle, a tiebreaker in the form of a small, relatively open rout map.  FoW would be done away with for the defense portions.  

Hmm... In relation to co-op things, maybe like, for battle preparations both players choose a team equal to half of the map's deployment spots (16 spots in main-game, 8 for each player in co-op), chosen from their own game file or something. ...i dunno it'd be interesting playing through the game with a second person. but this is probably just a dumb idea that'd never work.

Thinking 'co-op' made me think of the multiple CO missions from Advance Wars, and thinking about that series made me think of leaderboard challenges. Think the GHBs, but with some sort of scoring system you can compare with others to see who did it quickest, who did it with the least amount of damage, and so forth.

As long as there isn't anything hideously broken in Switch, it should work somewhat nicely at playing to Fire Emblem's strengths.

Spoiler

Multiple army missions are also something I want from Fire Emblem, but that's not just a multiplayer thing.

My favorite multiplayer in this series is recruiting your friend's Avatars. Recruit a team of My Units for some run variety. Fighting each other's teams never felt engaging since they're controlled by an AI. I don't care for a simultaneous multiplayer battle mode due to RPG elements. It's not a satisfying means of gauging tactical skill, just whoever grinded out the most levels and skills. People say they want a game that's balanced for the sake of PvP, but that's a dangerous road to consider for something that's primarily a single player experience. The only way to balance characters and classes out is to make them extremely similar with the same cumulative power level. Boring.

Player vs. player hasn't ever really worked well for FE. I've heard decent of TRS's, but the problem with the rest is that you need to rig/grind max stats and ludicrous forges to be at your best.

The early DS RTS LostMagic let you choose between two PVP modes- one where you used your own raised team from the story mode, and one featuring fixed teams. From this, I think a fixed unit player v. player mode could work out for FE. Every playable unit in the game (plus some NPCs from the story) have fixed stats and weapons. After picking your team from the playable units, you and your opponent have the map/win conditions picked out. And then on the prep. screen you can then swap around the weapons and items your team has access to, and decide on their supports too if they have chemistry. 

I'd also like co-op too. Maybe do as Battalion Wars had and make the co-op battles to a degree relevant to the game's plot.

Nonbattle player interactions were done decently with Fates, but we could always use improvement.

I don't think FE can have live PvP without designing a game specifically for that purpose, but I do think the potential is there. We've got hundreds of maps across the series as ample inspiration on how dynamic battles can get. Turtling/stalling stalemates are typically seen as the biggest issue, but that should only apply in a dual-rout map with zero incentives (bad maps). Let Player A take their time on a turn, and Player B can either look around the map or minimize the game entirely -- whether this is a mobile game or console should be irrelevant, but I think it's critical that the game allows you to take your time without forcing your opponent to sit and wait like with Scrabble in real life.

Co-op and indirect PvP is fine too, even if it's just a simple side attraction. I'd like more flexibility with people's rosters (or at least avatars) in this situation though, it's not that interesting seeing the same tacticians and their versions of your units every single time because that's all anyone gets.

I think a co-op style tower of valni would be really cool. Maybe keep the permadeath on to keep it interesting, choose to retreat if you lose a unit and your ally has to go it alone or retreat as well.

16 minutes ago, Tsak said:

I think a co-op style tower of valni would be really cool. Maybe keep the permadeath on to keep it interesting, choose to retreat if you lose a unit and your ally has to go it alone or retreat as well.

That's a great idea I still hope they bring back the GBA arena multiplayer or my and others idea of picking units for each person seperate army!

10 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

That's a great idea I still hope they bring back the GBA arena multiplayer or my and others idea of picking units for each person seperate army!

yeah i like that feature in fates. and GBA link arena was literally pure nostalgia. it kept me and my friends constantly going through Fe7 and getting lucky rolls on favorite characters. Heck i had a Canas sweep my friends whole team cuz he got rng blessed and i fed him a ton of body rings. (wasted all my gold just for that canas on the secret shop). I've had many goofy runs and great times. i feel like we have shifted so far from GBA link arena in terms of pvp and honestly they could take a page or two out of that. make the pvp more simplistic so it's not crazy overpowered. This whole rescue warp etc shenanigans just isn't really fun and i get where you guys are coming from. I just hope for the good old days of link arena with the damn cable hooked on each others GBAs man it was glorious. 

37 minutes ago, Tsak said:

yeah i like that feature in fates. and GBA link arena was literally pure nostalgia. it kept me and my friends constantly going through Fe7 and getting lucky rolls on favorite characters. Heck i had a Canas sweep my friends whole team cuz he got rng blessed and i fed him a ton of body rings. (wasted all my gold just for that canas on the secret shop). I've had many goofy runs and great times. i feel like we have shifted so far from GBA link arena in terms of pvp and honestly they could take a page or two out of that. make the pvp more simplistic so it's not crazy overpowered. This whole rescue warp etc shenanigans just isn't really fun and i get where you guys are coming from. I just hope for the good old days of link arena with the damn cable hooked on each others GBAs man it was glorious. 

Yeah I agree those were great times! I definitely dislike how Fates handled multiplayer especially how unfun and unbalance it is with rescue/warping/skill buying/hack +7 forging shenanigans...didn't felt natural for FE if it stays make it so only units that can learn skills through base/secondary/marriage and (IF kids return) through inheritance plus improve hack checks if IS really cares for the PVP.